• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SG is financial loss/fraud/scam hub. Huat ah!

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Forum: Insurer asked for credit card CVV over the phone​

Jan 27, 2022

While individuals should do their best to protect confidential information such as passwords and PINs, businesses and other organisations that process payments must also help protect their customers' personal information.
My wife bought a foreign domestic worker insurance plan from a local insurer over the phone. The salesman asked for her credit card details, including the card verification value (CVV), to process the payment. She did as instructed.
Based on my experience in making credit card payments by phone, I know that such payments can be processed without the CVV.
When I asked the insurer about this, it claimed that the CVV was needed for "immediate payment" to facilitate the work permit processing, although our helper's permit was still valid for another month so there was no urgency.
According to the written reply from the insurer, "our telesales executive can ask for our customers' credit card CVV for the purpose of payment transaction, and there is no restriction on us doing so".
My wife informed the bank that issued the credit card, and was advised that the CVV is confidential and should not be shared with anyone. It cancelled her card immediately as its security had been compromised.

Francis Yong
The insurer does not want to take extra. They sulk at paying credit card company for the extra charges for using the facility.

Again, the insurer say they encourage PayNow? Why should I as consumer use my own money when I could use my credit via my credit card?

It's always wise to use your credit worthiness wisely.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Investor confidence in SGX needs to be restored​

Jan 29, 2022

Last year, the Singapore Exchange (SGX) saw only eight new initial public offerings (IPOs) that raised around US$1.2 billion (S$1.6 billion) in proceeds (More options for S'pore companies pursuing IPO, Jan 26).
This accounted for less than 0.5 per cent of the worldwide total of 2,388 IPOs that collectively raised US$453 billion.
Companies list either because they can get much better valuations as a publicly listed company, or because of the ease with which they can raise additional capital to advance growth prospects.
If neither of these conditions is met, the listed company is better off being privatised, and that is what has been happening to the Singapore market over the past several years.
Many good-quality SGX-listed companies, such as Roxy-Pacific Holdings and SingHaiyi Group, have been taken private or have announced plans to go private as the market did not accord them the valuation they truly deserve, resulting in the hollowing out of the Singapore market.
So, Singapore needs to first address why fundamentally sound companies want to delist from SGX.
Also, more than half of SGX-listed companies are trading below book value. Many are in fact giving decent dividend yields of 3 per cent or more.

Why then are investors not participating in this attractively valued market? In the 1990s and 2000s, Singapore had a roaring stock market and provided much-needed liquidity for many small and medium-sized enterprises to grow and thrive.
Over time, however, many SGX-listed companies ran into trouble and had trading suspended or even ended up being wound up. The large sums of money that were wiped out have shaken the confidence of thousands of investors.
We need to rebuild this confidence and provide an undertaking that investors' interests will be well protected, adequate recourse will be provided and timely action will be taken against fraudulent companies.

S. Nallakaruppan
President
Society of Remisiers (Singapore)

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nearly $1 billion lost by scam victims in Singapore since 2016​

SPH Brightcove Video

Cheow Sue-Ann runs through the latest scourge: job scams
wong_shiying.png

Wong Shiying

JAN 29, 2022

SINGAPORE - The recent phishing saga involving customers of OCBC Bank has highlighted the epidemic of scams in Singapore, where victims have lost more than $965 million in just over 5½ years, checks by The Straits Times showed.
Scammers pocketed a record high $268.4 million in total in 2020, a figure Home Affairs and Law Minister K. Shanmugam revealed last year in a written response to a parliamentary question on scams.
It was nearly triple the $89.7 million stolen in 2016.
The authorities have acknowledged the difficulties in tackling the problem - many of the perpetrators are based overseas, and when the monies have been transferred, recovery has been hard.
But the police have had some success.
Their Anti-Scam Centre said that of the 7,400 scam reports it received in the first half of last year involving losses of more than $201.7 million, the authorities were able to recover $66 million.
Internet love scams have remained one of the most lucrative scams in Singapore since 2011.

The amount duped from victims has grown from $2.3 million in 2011 to $8.8 million in 2014 and $33.1 million in 2020.
Police said 90 per cent of the scams in Singapore had originated from overseas.
They added that they have worked closely with foreign law enforcement agencies to monitor and share information on emerging scams and conduct joint operations to cripple syndicates.

The police said that last year, the Anti-Scam Division (ASD) of the Commercial Affairs Department worked with the Royal Malaysia Police, Hong Kong Police Force and the police force in Taiwan.

"Sixteen transnational syndicates perpetrating job scams, Internet love scams and impersonation scams were busted," the police said.
ASD oversees the Anti-Scam Centre.
Speaking to the media on Thursday (Jan 27), Deputy Assistant Commissioner (DAC) of Police Aileen Yap said the joint operations led to the arrest of 230 suspected syndicate members. DAC Yap is the assistant director of the Commercial Affairs Department's ASD.
SPH Brightcove Video

In Singapore, police also arrested and investigated more than 7,000 scammers and money mules last year.
Some are believed to have rented out their bank accounts to scammers or assisted them by carrying out bank transfers and withdrawals.
The Covid-19 pandemic has not slowed down the syndicates, with more victims falling for job scams, the Anti-Scam Centre said.
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
Police's Anti-Scam Division busts 16 transnational syndicates
Some victims refuse to believe they have been scammed, think cops are the bad guys
In the first six months of last year, there were 658 cases of job scams - a 16-fold increase from just 40 in the same period in 2020.
"Scammers are quick to adapt their tactics and scripts to keep up with the current climate.
"During the pandemic, scammers have impersonated government officials to phish for personal particulars from victims," police said.

Criminologist Olivia Choy, from Nanyang Technological University's psychology department, said financial and emotional stress triggered by the pandemic could have made people more vulnerable to scams.
"Such stressors can lead to poorer decision-making, and with more people going online for work and leisure, there is an influx of potential victims for opportunistic scammers," she added.

Six anti-scam principles to follow​

The Home Team Behavioural Sciences Centre developed a 6S Anti-Scam Self-Protection Principles to help Singaporeans defend themselves against scams. They are:
  1. Spot the signs - Recognise the tactics that scammers use.
  2. Stop and think - Ask yourself or others if a statement, message or job offer could be true.
  3. Slow down, don't rush - Do not rush into providing your personal or banking details.
  4. Speak to others - Check with others to verify the authenticity of a claim before doing anything.
  5. Safeguard personal details and passwords - Never disclose personal information, even if the request appears to be legitimate.
  6. Seek help - Talk to friends or family members for advice or support if you have been impacted by a scam.
MORE ON THIS TOPIC
4 common types of scams and how to recognise them
Is contactless payment safe? 5 tips to protect yourself in the wake of OCBC SMS scams

Helplines​

• Anti-Scam Hotline: 1800-722-6688 (9am - 5pm)
  • National Care Hotline: 1800-202-6868 (8am - 12am)

Mental well-being​

• Institute of Mental Health's Mental Health Helpline: 6389-2222 (24 hours)
  • Samaritans of Singapore: 1800-221-4444 (24 hours) /1-767 (24 hours)
  • Singapore Association for Mental Health: 1800-283-7019
  • Silver Ribbon Singapore: 6386-1928
  • Tinkle Friend: 1800-274-4788
  • Community Health Assessment Team 6493-6500/1

Counselling​

• TOUCHline (Counselling): 1800-377-2252
  • TOUCH Care Line (for seniors, caregivers): 6804-6555
  • Care Corner Counselling Centre: 1800-353-5800

Online resources​

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Internet love scams in Singapore cost victims $33.1 million in 2020​

yu_lovescam2901.jpg

Love scams are believed to have first surfaced in 2008 and victims are cheated by someone with whom they have formed an online relationship with. PHOTO: UNSPLASH
wong_shiying.png

Wong Shiying

JAN 29, 2022

SINGAPORE - Love scams, in which fraudsters steal hearts and empty bank accounts, have remained a persistent problem in Singapore in the past decade.
They are believed to have first surfaced in 2008, and victims are cheated by someone with whom they have formed an online relationship with.
There were 822 love scam cases in 2020, a more than 13-fold increase from the 62 cases in 2011.
The amount cheated has also grown, from $2.3 million in total in 2011 to $12 million in 2015 and $33.1 million in 2020.
Dr Lim Boon Leng, a psychiatrist at Gleneagles Medical Centre, said love scams are seductive because people innately crave companionship.
He said: "Some people find it harder to find love interests, especially during the pandemic, and scammers prey on this void that potential victims are looking to fill."
Dr Lim added that some of his patients fell for the ruse after scammers spent a lot of time gaining their trust.

"They think that scammers would not bother to get to know them over an extended period, so when they are shown a lot of care and concern, they believe it is a real relationship," he said.
But it is e-commerce scams that consistently top the list with the most number of cases reported each year.
There were 3,354 cases reported in 2020, a 55 per cent increase from 2018.

In the first half of last year, $2.4 million was lost to e-commerce scams, with electronic goods and gaming-related items most commonly involved.
With e-commerce sales in Singapore expected to grow to US$10 billion ($13.4 billion) by the end of 2026, according to a recent report by Facebook and management consultancy Bain & Company, there are concerns the amount cheated would climb.
Mr Amos Tan, assistant director of Singapore Polytechnic's School of Business, said the pandemic has driven many people to shop online, and e-commerce platforms are trying to retain customers with frequent promotions.
"The shift in our lifestyles has provided ample opportunities for scammers. E-commerce scams are not only expected to rise but also more variants will emerge," he said.

Despite efforts to educate the public about scams, Dr Lim said not everyone will synthesise the information and apply it to their lives.
"Even if people read about others getting scammed in the news, they might not identify with it because they don't think they will be conned," he said.
Rebecca (not her real name), a 42-year-old accountant, did not think she would fall victim to a scam. But in 2020, she lost her life savings of $250,000 to scammers behind a China officials ruse.
They had claimed her bank account was involved in a case of money laundering in China. Posing as officers from DBS Bank, the swindlers called her to say that she had an outstanding credit card bill from buying a necklace in Beijing.
When she denied making the purchase, the call was "diverted" to a police officer purportedly working in Beijing, who claimed that she had been charged with money laundering offences.
One of the scammers even donned a police uniform in a video call to her.
"They furnished court documents with my name to show that I had been charged with money laundering. It was frightening and very real," said Rebecca, who is a Singaporean.
Desperate to clear her name, she followed the scammers' instructions to create a UOB account, transferred all her savings there, and handed her banking credentials over to "aid investigations".

Rebecca realised her account had been emptied only when police officers in Singapore called her on Jan 7 last year to inform her that she had fallen victim to a China officials impersonation scam.
She said she did not receive an SMS one-time password (OTP) on her mobile phone before the six-figure sum was withdrawn from her account.
One possible explanation is that the scammers used her login details and changed the phone number associated with her account so that the OTP was sent to their mobile instead.
"All my retirement savings were gone in flash. I was so afraid of being in trouble with the Chinese authorities that I followed their instructions blindly," she said.

7 common types of scams​

1. Business e-mail impersonation scam​

Scammers pose as the victim’s business partner, supplier or employee and ask for funds to be transferred to a new bank account. The e-mail usually sport the same business logos, links to the company’s website or names of existing employees.

2. Investment scam​

Fake financial professionals entice victims to invest via websites or apps, getting them to transfer money to unknown bank accounts and pay fees to reap profits. The scammers would disappear and victims are unable to withdraw their money.

3. Internet love scam​

Scammers masquerade as attractive individuals online and approach victims on social media. After gaining the victim’s trust, they ask for money as proof of love or claim to need money to overcome certain difficulties.

4. China officials impersonation scam​

Scammers impersonate bank staff or officials and trick victims into giving their personal information and banking credentials after accusing them of committing a criminal offence in China, such as money laundering.

5. Tech support scam​

Scammers pretend to be from reputable firms and lie that victims’ devices have problems they can fix. They get victims to download software like TeamViewer, giving them access to the computer and the money in the victims’ bank accounts.

6. Loan scam​

Scammers pretend to be licensed moneylenders and contact victims via SMS or WhatsApp. Victims are told to pay a small percentage of the loan amount as administrative fees. The scammer becomes uncontactable after payment is made.

7. Job scam​

Scammers advertise part-time jobs on social media offering commissions for tasks on a website or mobile app. After victims get a small payout, they are asked to transfer money to get more tasks. But the scammers disappear after the larger transfers.
Source: SINGAPORE POLICE FORCE

The Home Team Behavioural Sciences Centre developed a 6S Anti-Scam Self-Protection Principles to help Singaporeans defend themselves against scams. They are:
  2. Stop and think - Ask yourself or others if a statement, message or job offer could be true.
  3. Slow down, don't rush - Do not rush into providing your personal or banking details.
  4. Speak to others - Check with others to verify the authenticity of a claim before doing anything.
  5. Safeguard personal details and passwords - Never disclose personal information, even if the request appears to be legitimate.
  6. Seek help - Talk to friends or family members for advice or support if you have been impacted by a scam.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Woman lost $17k she had saved for her wedding to a job scam​

AK_scam_280122.jpg

Iris (not her real name) came across an advertisement on Facebook for a part-time marketing gig and thought she could make some extra money for her big day. ST PHOTO: NG SOR LUAN
Wong Shiying and David Sun

JAN 29, 2022

SINGAPORE - It took her two years to save up the $17,000 she needed for her wedding, and in just one day in September last year, she lost the money to a job scam.
Iris (not her real name), 34, had come across an advertisement on Facebook for a part-time marketing gig.
She thought she could make some extra money for her big day, which was scheduled for the end of 2021.
The hours were flexible and she could do the assignments online.
She messaged them on Sept 16 last year and they replied immediately, saying she was hired as an affiliate marketing associate, purportedly for e-commerce platform Qoo10.
The Singaporean, who is working in an administrative role in an engineering company, was then instructed to use her own money to pay in advance for products on the platform, to boost the sales figures of merchants.
The "hirer", who Iris only exchanged WhatsApp messages with, said she would be reimbursed with a small commission.

She was then put in a WhatsApp group where she noticed some instructions came from people with foreign telephone numbers.
"I thought it was strange that (the scammers) told me to make payment to a bank account they provided, instead of paying on the platform.
"But I brushed it off thinking I was paying directly to the merchant's bank account," she said.

Within an hour on the same day, Iris had transferred $620 to them and made about $100 in profits from "buying" four items on the platform.
When she saw she had $720 transferred to her account, she accepted another assignment that entailed transferring a larger sum of $1,600 to "buy" a mini desktop.

When her money was not returned, she reached out to the "hirers" who claimed that they could not pay her back as she had taken longer than 10 minutes to complete the task.
Iris, who said she was not told she was on the clock, was then directed to perform "overtime tasks" if she wanted her funds back.
"Getting my money back was all I could think about. I just followed instructions because I thought that was my only hope," she said.
Even as Iris did their bidding and transferred different sums, including $6,700 at one go, the scammers told her she had done the job wrongly or was too slow.
In a few hours, she had spent more than $17,000 "buying" desktops, watches, gym equipment, video games and jewellery from six merchants.
SPH Brightcove Video

Iris pleaded to the WhatsApp group administrator directly but was ignored.
She finally lodged a police report on Sept 17 last year and told her fiance about the incident.
They decided to postpone the wedding indefinitely.
"I lost almost everything I'd been saving up for my wedding. I was naive and too eager to make money that it didn't even cross my mind that it could be a scam," said Iris.
"The toughest part has been keeping this a secret from my family. I'm too ashamed to tell them and I don't want them to worry.
"I can only tell them I'm putting off the wedding due to Covid-19."
The Singapore-headquartered Qoo10 said in its website that it is aware of job scams where fraudsters pretend to be their business partners.
It clarified that it is not associated with any recruitment agency on SMS, Facebook or Instagram and has urged customers to report these advertisements to the police.

SPH Brightcove Video

Helplines​

• Anti-Scam Hotline: 1800-722-6688 (9am - 5pm)
  • National Care Hotline: 1800-202-6868 (8am - 12am)

Mental well-being​

• Institute of Mental Health's Mental Health Helpline: 6389-2222 (24 hours)
  • Samaritans of Singapore: 1800-221-4444 (24 hours) /1-767 (24 hours)
  • Singapore Association for Mental Health: 1800-283-7019
  • Silver Ribbon Singapore: 6386-1928
  • Tinkle Friend: 1800-274-4788
  • Community Health Assessment Team 6493-6500/1

Counselling​

• TOUCHline (Counselling): 1800-377-2252
  • TOUCH Care Line (for seniors, caregivers): 6804-6555
  • Care Corner Counselling Centre: 1800-353-5800

Online resources​

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man was 'hired' by recruiter, only to be cheated of $24k in three days in job scam​

yq-sgscm-27012022.jpg

The job Mr Lee took on required only two hours' effort a day, and promised a daily salary of $80 to $120. ST PHOTO: LIM YAOHUI
jessielim.png

Jessie Lim

JAN 29, 2022

SINGAPORE - When he received a Telegram message on Dec 29 last year advertising a data optimisation job that required only two hours' effort a day, Mr Lee thought he could make easy money.
The job promised a daily salary of $80 to $120, a woman who gave her name as Mei Juan told him over text messages.
The 32-year-old administrative assistant, who declined to give his full name, thought that all he needed to do was click on buttons on a website to boost the data of selected items.
He was told it would increase the sales of a furniture company overseas, and that he would be working for a marketing software company.
"I Googled the (software) company and saw it has a presence in Singapore. The woman who approached me even suggested we could meet face to face, to teach me how to use the website," said Mr Lee.
He suggested a video call instead, but the "recruiter" said she did not feel comfortable doing so as someone she had previously tried to recruit had appeared half-naked over the Zoom call.
Mr Lee decided to accept the offer anyway.

Following Mei Juan's instructions, he created an account on the purported software company's website.
He had to complete 45 orders every day by clicking on two buttons on the site, which he was told would optimise data of the "furniture" items.
The cost of each item varied, but could go up to a few thousand dollars.

When he first started clicking the buttons, the website showed that a few hundred dollars were available. It was not his money.
As he clicked the buttons, the amount dropped quickly.
As he could not proceed with the data optimisation task, Mr Lee asked Mei Juan for help.
She told him he had to top up the account via PayNow by transferring his money to a mobile number she provided.
Mei Juan promised him a 30 per cent commission for each order he completed.
ljvictim_ss2901.jpg

The job did not require any experience or an interview, and promised a daily salary of $80 to $120. PHOTO: COURTESY OF MR LEE
"They (scammers) let you experience the high of a win. They said when you need to top up, it means you are lucky and you have a big ticket order," said Mr Lee.
By the end of the first day, he had topped up the account with $266 of his own money, and earned $140.
In total, $406 was credited into his POSB account within minutes. As he was able to withdraw it, he thought it was safe to continue the job.
He then topped up higher sums and by Dec 31, had transferred $24,000 of his own money, thinking he would be paid the commissions soon.
He even called his bank to increase his daily transfer limit to $200,000.
Only when the website prompted him to top up another $13,000 did he stop.
Mr Lee said: "For all jobs, it's normal that the recruiter is a stranger you've never met. It's the same for part-time jobs you see advertised on Facebook and Telegram.

"But it cannot be that a job needs you to top up so much money when jobs are supposed to pay you a salary."
He eventually lodged a police report on Jan 5.
When he called the number linked to the PayNow account, the line was no longer in use.
The website Mr Lee used is now advertising dating sites.
Mr Lee, who is single, said: "The savings were for when I fall sick in the future or want to buy my own home.
"It was about half my savings. I was looking forward to a new year but then this happened."

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Wow! 1 billion since 2016! 200 million per year! Wow! Sinkies are so rich! Mai Tu Liao! No need to raise the GST to help any poor liao!

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Senior-centric banking options needed​

FEB 7, 2022

I've been working with seniors in a professional capacity for 14 years, and I've heard of many seniors being scammed of their life savings.
With digital banking becoming mainstream, there is a need to cater to non-digital natives.
Experts agree that older adults have more trouble verifying information online and may also be more trusting when receiving calls or visits from people who identify themselves as part of traditional institutions.
My mother was scammed of a significant portion of her life savings in December last year.
The scammer pretended to be from a bank's technical support team.
Despite my mother's initial misgivings, the person on the line managed to reassure her. She followed the instructions and was deceived.
In total, 41 consecutive transactions were done overnight but no fraudulent activity alert call came.

There should be senior-centric banking options such as bank accounts preset with phone call alerts on suspicious activity, in-person activation of digital banking services and prepaid debit cards.
These steps could help reduce the risk of being scammed and remind seniors of banking risks in a digitally connected world.
The recent scam cases have shown that we can't do away with the human touch in banking and that face-to-face interaction should remain a key part of the banking experience.

Chng Pi Leong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Many card transactions in various countries, but no alert raised​

FEB 7, 2022

My mother fell victim to a scam in November last year.
The scammer told her that her e-commerce account had been hacked into by showing her "illegal transactions" made on her account.
He claimed to be the platform's head of security and said he would help her to re-secure her account and get back the money which had been charged to her credit cards. To do this, he required her credit card details and one-time passwords.
She lost a five-figure sum on four credit cards from three banks.
Some questions continue to haunt her.
First, why was no alert triggered when multiple transactions were made using her credit cards in foreign currencies?
She could not have been in Kuwait, Abu Dhabi, India and Indonesia in that short time.

Only one bank was alert enough to spot the irregularity and stop all transactions immediately. One other bank did it much later, and the third had to be instructed by my mother to block the card.
Second, why was no alert triggered when the transactions exceeded her credit limit? In one case, it was 1.8 times her limit.

Claire Bostock

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wow! 1 billion since 2016! 200 million per year! Wow! Sinkies are so rich! Mai Tu Liao! No need to raise the GST to help any poor liao!

just spend 20 million to fund a squad of hitmen,
bullet thru the head if caught scamming, watch the scammers think twice about cheating old and stupid folks

this is the downside of technology

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Founder of Singapore-based Skycoin claims in suit he was extorted, kidnapped​

md_skycoin_10022022.jpg

Skycoin founder Brandon Smietana filed a civil racketeering lawsuit against several people, including a former consultant and two journalists. PHOTO: SKYCOIN/FACEBOOK

Feb 10, 2022

CHICAGO (BLOOMBERG) - The creator of the cryptocurrency Skycoin claims a former consultant and others tried to extort tens of millions of dollars with ransomware attacks, organised a plot to kidnap him and his girlfriend, and conspired to undermine the US$5 billion (S$6.7 billion) market for the digital token.
Mr Brandon Smietana, the founder of Singapore-based Skycoin Global Foundation, made the allegations in a civil racketeering lawsuit on Wednesday (Feb 9) filed against Mr Bradford Stephens, Mr Harrison Gevirtz and almost a dozen others, including two journalists that Mr Smietana accused of defaming him with stories they wrote. Mr Smietana is seeking unspecified damages.
Mr Stephens, who said he consulted for Skycoin, dismissed the claims as "absurd" and "pretty weird", adding that some of the people named in the suit "had nothing to do with Skycoin".
Mr Smietana has "a history of blaming other people for the failure of Skycoin", Mr Stephens said by telephone. "We expect a quick dismissal," he said.
In an e-mail on Wednesday, Mr Gevirtz said he has not been served with the lawsuit, a copy of which was supplied to him by Bloomberg News. "I have no involvement with Skycoin and have no idea why I am included in this lawsuit," he said. "This is a pretty intense read."
According to the complaint filed in Chicago federal court, Mr Stephens and Mr Gevirtz were initially hired in early 2018 and were paid more than US$1 million, mostly in Skycoin tokens and Bitcoin, to market Skycoin and revamp its website.
Shortly afterward, the marketers claimed a third party was linking pornographic blogs and spam to Skycoin's website, and they asked for US$38,000 to fix the problem, Mr Smietana alleged.

After Skycoin made the additional payments, Mr Smietana said he discovered it was Mr Stephens and Mr Gevirtz who were behind the spamming, and they began demanding US$100,000 a month, and then US$300,000 a month to quell future attacks on Skycoin's website.
In February 2018, the two met Mr Smietana in Shanghai, where they threatened to have Skycoin delisted from all cryptocurrency exchanges unless he paid them US$30 million in Bitcoin and US$1 million in cash, according to the suit.
While Mr Smietana said he made some extortion payments that month, Mr Stephens and Mr Gevirtz then threatened to get news articles published that would be damaging to Skycoin unless they were allowed to take over the company, according to the lawsuit. Some negative articles were later published, he said.
After Mr Smietana refused their demands, Mr Stevens, Mr Gevirtz and another defendant conspired with four assailants and hatched a plot in June 2018 to kidnap Mr Smietana and his girlfriend to extract passwords, source code and other information from his computer system, according to the lawsuit.
He claims he was violently beaten and tortured for six hours in his home before providing access to about US$139,000 in Bitcoin and US$220,000 in Skycoin.
Skycoin, which peaked in value about four years ago when it was listed on cryptocurrency exchanges, including Binance, has fallen precipitously. It was delisted from several exchanges.
Skycoin fell about 6 per cent to 22 cents on Wednesday, according to price data compiled by CoinMarketCap. It traded at more than US$4 as late as April 2021.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ng

Ng
Photographer: Juliana Tan for Bloomberg Businessweek

Businessweek - The Big Take

The Billion-Dollar Nickel-Swap Scandal That Shocked Singapore​

Singaporeans invested a billion dollars in Ng Yu Zhi’s nickel-trading company. He’s accused of taking the money and skipping the nickel.
By Matthew Campbell and Chanyaporn Chanjaroen
February 11, 2022

Not long after the novel coronavirus arrived in Singapore, forcing the hyperconnected city-state to shut its borders for the first time, a rumor circulated among its many wealthy people—and among others who weren’t so well-off. A little-known investment manager was apparently delivering an astonishing 15% quarterly profit to anyone who invested with him, by trading nickel.

As word spread, more and more Singaporeans clamored to give their money to the investment manager, a 34-year-old ex-accountant named Ng Yu Zhi. Soon Ng’s fund, Envy Group, had raised almost S$1.5 billion ($1.1 billion) from hundreds of clients. He certainly seemed to be making good on the hype, returning steady gains quarter after quarter and giving every appearance of great success, with a mansion in one of Asia’s most expensive neighborhoods, a 126-foot yacht, and a fleet of luxury cars.

Trusting Ng would prove to be catastrophic. Singapore police arrested him last February and accused him of running perhaps the largest scam, in terms of dollars lost, in the small country’s history. According to police and forensic accountants appointed to examine Ng’s books, the trades he claimed to be making had simply never occurred. Instead, they say, he was engaged in an elaborate fraud, transferring S$475 million of investors’ money to himself and using it to enjoy a lifestyle that was lavish even by the standards of the setting for Crazy Rich Asians. Ng has yet to enter a plea in response to the 75 charges against him, and he declined to provide a comment for this story, citing ongoing police investigations.

relates to The Billion-Dollar Nickel-Swap Scandal That Shocked Singapore

Featured in Bloomberg Businessweek, Feb. 14, 2022. Subscribe now.
Source: DEEPOL/plainpicture

His clients included some of Singapore’s most successful citizens: senior lawyers, former bank executives, and businesspeople who should have known better than to invest in what appears, in retrospect, to have been a Ponzi scheme, and not a particularly sophisticated one. They weren’t the only people who failed to ask enough questions. According to legal filings, Ng made more than a thousand transfers from Envy’s corporate and investor funds to bank accounts he likely controlled, misappropriating hundreds of millions of dollars before being stopped.

Investment scams occur all over the world and can last far longer than Envy survived; Bernie Madoff ran a giant Ponzi scheme under the noses of investors and regulators for decades. Still, the allegations against Ng are awkward for Singapore, which is navigating a sensitive national transition. With its stable politics, relatively open borders, and respected legal system, the city is closer than ever to displacing Hong Kong as Asia’s main financial center, a development that would turbocharge its already robust economy. Yet despite Singapore’s orderly reputation, it’s seen more than its share of high-profile scandals in recent years, including the collapse of Noble Group Ltd., a commodity trading company accused of cooking its books, and an alleged fraud at Hyflux Ltd., a water utility that entered a court-mandated debt restructuring in 2018, infuriating retail investors.

To some in the city, the apparent ease with which Ng operated suggests that its authorities need to keep a closer eye on the rising tide of cash that’s sloshing in. “I absolutely think Singapore needs to step up its enforcement and oversight of white-collar crime,” says Mak Yuen Teen, a professor of accounting at the National University of Singapore Business School. In the Envy case, “there were many red flags indicating possible fraud. So we have to ask, ‘Where were the circuit breakers?’ ”

Ng incorporated Envy Group in 2015 and decided to focus on nickel.
Photographer: Juliana Tan for Bloomberg Businessweek

Until a few years ago, little about Ng would have marked him as bound for the world of high finance. Soft-spoken and unfailingly polite, with a round, full face, he studied accounting at one of Singapore’s public universities then joined audit firm KPMG LLP. One of the main clients he worked with was BHP Group, the world’s largest mining company, and Ng found that he was fascinated by the metals business, with its huge, liquid markets, real-world industrial needs, and 24/7 volatility. He began trading commodities on the side, and in 2015 he left KPMG to develop his interest into a full-time career.

It was a fortuitous moment to start a trading company. Global commodity prices had declined by roughly half from their 2008 peak, offering the potential for huge profits to anyone with the courage and capital to ride them back up. And there were few better places to do it than Singapore. Always a busy regional hub, the city was emerging as a global financial contender, attracting investments not only from other parts of Southeast Asia but increasingly from India, China, and beyond. Everyone seemed to want a piece of its success. Over the next several years, billionaires including Ray Dalio and Sergey Brin would open local offices to invest their personal wealth; British vacuum-cleaner tycoon James Dyson also set up one and spent a reported S$74 million on a five-bedroom downtown penthouse.

Ng incorporated Envy Group in 2015, taking its name from a slightly cringey line KPMG used in its training sessions: that the company’s goal was to be “the envy” of other accounting providers. He decided to focus on nickel, which was an unusual strategy for a small commodities outfit. The trade was dominated by a handful of well-connected operators, making it challenging to build a business from scratch. But Ng saw nickel as seriously undervalued, with markets failing to price in its growing utility: It’s so crucial to rechargeable batteries that Tesla Inc. co-founder Elon Musk once asked suppliers to “please mine more.”

Business was excellent, as far as anyone outside of Envy could tell. Nickel prices went on a bull run for most of the second half of the 2010s, and Ng steadily expanded his client list, sometimes with help from Veronica Shim, a successful wealth manager who was impressed enough by Ng that she invested with him herself and offered Envy’s trades to her own clients.

Singapore is a flashy place. On Orchard Road, the main shopping drag, chauffeur-driven Bentleys pull up outside flagship stores for the likes of Harry Winston and Dolce & Gabbana; at the waterfront Marina Bay Sands casino, high rollers can wager millions before retiring to a 6,400-square-foot “Chairman Suite” on the 53rd floor. But even in a city where the rich delight in showing off their success, Ng stood out. Envy operated from a luxuriously appointed office, arranged around a fully stocked bar from which visitors might be offered a glass of 21-year-old Hibiki whisky, a Japanese treasure that can sell for more than S$200 per pour. Ng liked to meet clients and colleagues at top-drawer sushi restaurants, roaring between engagements in vehicles from a fleet that included a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, and Singapore’s only Pagani Huayra supercar, which he’d spent more than S$7 million to buy.

Cai on the cover of Prestige.

His home life was no less luxurious. Ng and his Chinese-born wife, Coco Cai, rented a mansion near the lush Botanic Gardens, and he was in the process of buying two others. The pandemic hardly dented their lifestyle. In December 2020, she told Prestige, an Asian society magazine, how a team of salespeople from Italian jewelry brand Bulgari had come to their home to present a “curated selection” of new pieces “flown in specially for her.” Cai bought four.

Ng did little marketing, but news of the outsize returns he was delivering to investors was spreading, discussed at birthday parties and on golf courses or passed between yacht owners at the Sentosa Cove marina, where Singapore’s super rich keep their vessels. In turn, more and more members of the city’s financial elite sought to entrust him with their money. From Pek Siok Lan, the general counsel of state investment company Temasek Holdings Pte Ltd., came S$5.6 million. Arun Murthy, former global head of commodities at Standard Chartered Plc, put in a little less than S$1 million. Finian Tan, one of Singapore’s most prominent venture capitalists, was a major backer; he and partners invested a total of S$26 million.

Few, if any, were perturbed by a March 2020 decision by the Monetary Authority of Singapore, the nation’s main market watchdog, to place Envy on its “investor alert list,” which flags companies that may be “wrongly perceived as being licensed or regulated by MAS,” and thus appear to be safer. One Envy investor, who asked not to be identified discussing his loss, says it didn’t seem like a major concern: Dozens of funds are placed on the list each year. Nor did it stop hundreds of less wealthy investors, including restaurateurs and doctors, small-business owners and retirees, from giving Ng their money, swelling the total handed over to Envy to almost S$1.5 billion by early 2021. In a city where so many people seemed to be finding ways to get rich, why shouldn’t they?

Put simply, Envy had almost never bought any of the nickel it claimed to be trading

The tropical sun was barely over the horizon when a team of officers from the Commercial Affairs Department, the antifraud unit of the Singapore Police Force, arrived at Ng’s mansion last Feb. 16. He was already up, preparing to send his daughter to school. The officers let him shower and change before taking him to gather documents from Envy’s office and then to a police station.

It turned out Ng had been on investigators’ radar for at least several months. The MAS had received tips about Envy’s operations in mid-2020 and referred the matter to the police later that year. Once Ng was in custody, officers held him for more than two days, questioning him at length about Envy’s operations. After his release, according to people familiar with the matter who asked to remain anonymous in order to describe private conversations, Ng told staff and investors that his detention was the result of a misunderstanding—one that might result, at most, in a slap on the wrist for Envy. Many believed him, one of the people says. Ng appeared more relaxed about the police’s interest in Envy than most of his employees, giving every impression he had little to worry about.

That outward calm was shattered on March 22, when prosecutors filed their first criminal charges against Ng, accusing him of channeling S$300 million of investor money to his own accounts. (Subsequent legal filings pushed the alleged total to just under a half-billion Singapore dollars.) The charges outlined the broad strokes of what police and, later, a team of court-appointed accountants from Ng’s alma mater, KPMG, concluded was an audacious but simple fraud. Put simply, Envy had almost never bought any of the nickel it claimed to be trading, and the returns investors thought they were receiving were in fact drawn from new clients’ deposits—a classic Ponzi structure. Indeed, Poseidon Nickel Ltd., the Australian mining concern that Ng told investors he was sourcing the metal from, informed KPMG auditors that it had “no business relationship” with Envy and had never entered any transaction with it.

When they looked over Envy’s purported contracts with Poseidon, the accountants, led by Bob Yap, one of Singapore’s best-known restructuring specialists, noticed what they dryly described in an update for the court as “numerous irregularities” in the documents. For one thing, the name of a “director” whose signature appeared on two contracts on behalf of the Australian company did “not appear to match the initials or names of any of Poseidon’s directors in the relevant period.”

Meanwhile, according to the auditors, investor money was being moved in tranches of S$200,000 to accounts likely controlled by Ng, sometimes in dozens of wire transfers per day. Two of Singapore’s major banks, Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp. and United Overseas Bank Ltd., were concerned enough by Ng’s activities to close his accounts well before his arrest. Other lenders, including DBS Group Holdings Ltd. and HSBC Holdings Plc, filed suspicious-transaction reports with the authorities but continued doing business with him. DBS and HSBC declined to comment on Ng’s accounts; spokespeople for both lenders said that they have comprehensive systems for flagging suspicious transactions and cooperate fully with law enforcement. An MAS spokesperson said in a statement that the agency expects banks to “implement robust measures to monitor for suspicious transactions” and would take action against firms that fell short of regulatory requirements.

As they dug further, investigators concluded that everything about the nickel deals had been faked, and not especially well. In communications with investors, Envy had said it was selling cargoes to a trading operation called BNP Paribas Commodity Futures Ltd., a London-based unit of the French bank. But U.K. corporate records indicated that this entity had ceased operations in February 2019. Envy’s records nonetheless contained 11 trading statements from after that date—documents that would have to have been forged.

The investigation did find that Envy had conducted one genuine nickel deal. In July and August of 2020, the company spent S$42 million to buy more than 2,000 metric tons of the commodity from Raffemet Pte Ltd., a large trading house. Ng went to a local warehouse to inspect the load, with colleagues recording a video of him looking over loads of nickel pellets. Envy sent the video to its investors, then sold the nickel right back to Raffemet.

The cityscape at dusk.
Source: Anekoho/Agefoto

Ng is awaiting trial in somewhat more straitened conditions than he enjoyed before his arrest. Out on S$4 million bail—one of the largest in Singapore history—he’s swapped his mansion for a serviced apartment. After recent court hearings, he’s departed not in a souped-up sports car but an Audi sedan. He’ll soon face a difficult choice. If he opts to contest the charges against him, he could remain free for years, albeit without the ability to leave Singapore, as the case winds its way through the courts. If he pleads guilty, he’ll likely receive a lengthy sentence, though one that’s shorter than the 20-year maximum he’d probably face if convicted at trial.
The broader damage of Envy’s collapse is still being tallied. Several investors who asked not to be identified in order to avoid being publicly associated with Envy say they don’t expect to recover the bulk of what they lost. It’s not clear how much will be raised from ongoing sales of Ng’s assets, including cars, art, and jewelry. The same is true of a lawsuit filed against him by the KPMG auditors, who are seeking more than S$500 million in damages.

Whatever the ultimate financial cost, the Envy scandal will nudge along efforts to prevent fraud in Singapore as it becomes a more important global hub. Ravi Menon, managing director of the MAS, acknowledged not long before Ng’s arrest that detecting financial irregularities is “an area that needs to be addressed.” The national stock exchange recently expanded its enforcement mechanisms, making it mandatory for public companies to institute whistleblower policies and giving itself the power to require a director or executive to resign. Other proposals would give regulators more tools to ensure that accounting companies comply with anti-money-laundering regulations.

But even the most finely tuned regulatory systems can be frustrated by a sufficiently audacious swindler, especially one that’s in tune with the psychological needs of his marks. To win the confidence of so many sophisticated people, Ng appears to have grafted the timeless appeal of get-rich-quick schemes onto a more particular desire: to share in the spoils of a city rising faster than almost any other. Above all, Ng’s investors “trusted the individual,” says Chenthil Kumarasingam, a partner at the law firm Withers KhattarWong, who advises on white-collar crime but wasn’t involved in the Envy case. “He made a very good show of living a lifestyle that everybody aspired to.” —With Joyce Koh and Yoolim Lee

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
It’s been 5.5 months since I left and the malicious dogs cottonmouth aka glockman aka Jeremy Quek as per hint by jw5 (and sweetiepie etc) are allowed by Leongsam to smear and insult me slut whore mistress with no consequence. I have to inform Leongsam to delete the posts and sometimes to no avail and i am sick of it. So Leongsam did not follow his deal to get his moderators to remove posts speaking ill of me so here I am carrying out my vow to spam the forum if cottonmouth is allowed to spam in my threads without consequence - which cottonmouth obviously did and was allowed - and he has been allowed in this 5.5 months no need follow his agreement to stop insulting me and continued to smear and insult me whore just yesterday and insulted me have std one day before that and everyday with no consequence.

Another thing to highlight is I realised after I left forum that @strawberry = @kaninabuchaojibye and I already know @nightsafari = @kaninabuchaojibye i.e despicable nightsafari is the strawberry that started the thread Who is Ginfreely sugar daddy and then keep upping it on the pretext of asking about strawberry. No wonder so pretentious always pretending to like my Hokkien threads while stabbing me non stop.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Cryptocurrency scam costs S'pore woman $1.2m​

md_scam3_12022022.jpg

Audrey was cheated of $1.2 million from a "rich factory owner" who turned out to be from a major crime syndicate. PHOTO: PIXABAY
tan_ooi_boon.png

Tan Ooi Boon

FEB 13, 2022

SINGAPORE - Crooks masquerading as tycoons to dupe their victims seems more like Hollywood fare than real life but tell that to a Singapore woman who has lost her life savings after falling for such a scam.
Her losses - around $1.2 million - were even more painful because the 53-year-old had made a point to check out the conman who eventually ripped her off.
The saga began in late 2020 when Audrey, as she wants to be known, was looking for a buyer to pay $600,000 to take over her retail business in Singapore.
She thought she got lucky when one of her regular customers introduced her to a "rich factory owner" from China who appeared keen to buy her business.
They discussed the deal online because he said he could not come to Singapore due to Covid-19 restrictions but Audrey did careful checks.
She had a copy of his identity card and after doing a business registry check with the Chinese authorities, found that the factory was not only a real deal but had a paid-up capital of millions of dollars.
What she did not expect was he turned out to be an impostor from a major crime syndicate who eventually cheated her of $1.2 million in a cryptocurrency scam that was remarkably sophisticated.

Audrey says: "I was very upset when I found out that such cases were rampant in China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and the United States.
It's shocking that these criminals are cheating people around the world and they are not afraid of the police because they feel that they are untouchable."
She is among a growing list of victims worldwide who have fallen prey to a sophisticated foreign fund transfer scam that is believed to be run by syndicates based in Indochina.

Newly-improved scam​

Such crimes used to be commonly known as love scams because the conmen would target mostly lonely women by befriending them on social media. After gaining their trust, they would ask the victims to send them money by claiming they needed help to pay hospital bills or business debts.
But these cons have taken on a more sinister name - pig butchering scams - because the conmen tell their victims that cheating them is similar to dragging the helpless animals to the slaughterhouse and even the police cannot help them as their whereabouts and identities are not known.
Now, the scammers do not just use "love" as their weapon. They have added fake investment platforms linked to cyptocurrency to their arsenal to target not only housewives, but men and women who are keen to invest money.

The scammers are counting on the fact that most people, including senior executives and veteran investors, probably do not know enough of these investments to spot a fake from the real deal.
For example, Audrey counts herself as a savvy business owner of two decades. She not only started her own company that sells consumer goods, but also holds a postgraduate degree in business.
"Frankly, I still cannot believe I am a scam victim in my own country. We all grew up believing that trust is the most important virtue in business," she says.
"We have never come face to face with people who are so evil that they dig up your background and then package a scam to target you."

Scammers use other's identity to chat​

It all started in December 2020 when one of her regular customers here, now believed to be an accomplice of the syndicate, gave her the WeChat contact of a potential buyer of her business.
She messaged the man, who identified himself as the owner of a factory in China that manufactured goods related to her business.
The man, "Mr Kao", appeared keen to buy her firm and sent her a picture of his identity card to show he was genuine.
She says: "In Singapore, we are taught to exercise due diligence. So I actually applied for a business check with the Chinese authorities and found out that the factory already exists and has substantial paid-up capital of over $10 million under the man's name."

She also rang the telephone number listed on the company's official document and spoke to an elderly man who introduced himself as the father of the owner.
"So it all sounded genuine as both the man and the company were real. If anything, my mistake was I didn't check further because I was more concerned that my business partner would be offended if the father told him that I was checking up on him," she says.

Scam comes after gaining victims' trust​

The checks made Audrey think she had found a genuine buyer because the man also kept in touch frequently, including sending photographs of him at various business functions. But unknown to Audrey, this was all part of the act to gain her trust.
She did not sell the business because the man kept saying he wanted to visit her shop first but could not come to Singapore due to Covid-19 restrictions.
But he then proposed another business venture that involved both of them investing in cryptocurrency. To show his sincerity, he showed Audrey that he had put US$2 million into their joint account.
This put pressure on her to invest too because she was worried of losing her buyer if she backed out.
Moreover, she saw that the investment was with a well-known crypto company: "I kept thinking it was safe because why would a rich man cheat me when he had put in more?"
So she did not suspect anything even when she was told to make numerous transfers to bank accounts of individuals in Singapore and Hong Kong. The man had told her that this was how such firms worked.

Initially, she put in over $750,000 of her savings but the sums soon ballooned to about $1.2 million. Audrey had to resort to borrowing from her siblings and, ironically, none of them asked why because she was known in the family to be business savvy.
It was only after six months - in May last year - that she had an inkling that she had been duped after seeing social media postings of scammers using similar pictures used by "Mr Kao".
Apparently the scammer had copied pictures of a social media influencer and used the name of a genuine factory owner - Mr Kao - to create the fake ID to dupe Audrey and others. She also found that her investment was bogus - she was "trading" on a fake website that looked like a genuine one.
"I felt so angry yet embarrassed for falling for such a scam. While making the police report, I couldn't even think properly and wrote $900,000 as my loss. I had a shock when the officer calculated my losses and told me it was $1.2 million," she says.
The one silver lining is that she still has her business, which now provides her income for daily expenses as her savings are all gone.
Audrey has also become an active volunteer of Global Anti-Scam Organisation, a Singapore-based support group for con victims around the world.
As she is fluent in Mandarin, she has been counselling victims from Taiwan and in the last six months alone, has helped many people there. "Some victims become suicidal but I tell them nothing is worth more than life. We must never let the scammers win. We will continue the fight until justice is served."

How to avoid investment scams​

You can avoid many dodgy investments by following this three-step checklist from the Monetary Authority of Singapore.

Ask​

When it comes to money matters, it pays to ask many questions about your investment. Be extremely careful if you are promised guaranteed sky-high returns because such investments do not exist.
All genuine investments come with a degree of risk and if someone claims that you will definitely make money, chances are you are being sold a fake product. Of course, if a company avoids answering most of your questions, it is best to just stay away.

Check​

Always check the background of the companies you plan to invest in.
It goes without saying that you will avoid a lot of heartache if you make it a rule to invest with reputable companies only.
Do note that the absence of any negative comments about the company does not mean it is genuine – it may merely mean that it is new, something that you should be wary of.
If you invest with a reputable company, make sure you are trading on its official platform and not a cloned website.

Confirm​

As a leading financial hub, many international firms have set up branches here and are regulated by the MAS. So a check of its directory will provide many choices for you. Why would you risk putting your money with unlicensed companies, especially those based overseas?
While there is no guarantee that you will definitely make money with a licensed investment, dealing with an unlicensed one certainly increases your risk manyfold.
So always ask, check and confirm because many scammers are counting on you to not do this.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Scammers built online trading site to cheat S'pore man of $800,000​

md_scam2_12022022.jpg

The crooks manipulate the outcome of the live feeds to make victims believe that they have hit the jackpot. PHOTO: PIXABAY
tan_ooi_boon.png

Tan Ooi Boon
Invest Editor

FEB 13, 2022

SINGAPORE - Getting scammed is one thing but it's a whole new level of pain when you seem to make a bundle of cash and then find the fraudsters can prevent you getting your hands on it.
This happened to James (not his real name) when a "friend" introduced him to a good investment after his income was badly affected by the pandemic.
The "friend" got him to open a foreign-exchange (forex) trading account and gave "insider tips" so he could trade and make some profit.
James, 55, who used to earn a five-figure salary in a tourism-related sector, initially invested $800,000 and turned that into $8 million, thanks to his canny trades.
But his good fortune soon turned into a nightmare when he could not withdraw the money.
He later discovered his funds were never used in any genuine forex trades but were channelled straight into the scammers' pocket.

A new high-tech scam​

The crooks created an online trading site that used similar platforms found at genuine trading houses. This meant they were paying certain firms for the right to use their custom-built trading software.

The victims lured into trading would see live feeds that look like the real thing but with a crucial difference - the crooks can manipulate the outcome to make them believe that they have hit the jackpot.
This happened to James, who appeared to gain big profits each time he followed tips passed on to him.
He says: "I've read about scams but I never imagined falling for one myself. This is a very insidious scam because they give me my own account and I do my own trading.

"This gave me a sense of security as I thought I was in control. But all along, they were playing me."

Don't disclose personal details freely​

It all started in February last year when James received a message from an unknown person that read: "Hey, I'm back in Hong Kong now."
He wrongly assumed that the sender was a restaurant owner he had befriended during his past business trips to the city.
James began messaging the sender, who continued to pretend to be his "friend".
He says: "Looking back, I made the mistake of disclosing too much information during our chats. I mentioned that the pandemic had hit me hard and affected my income. So the scammer preyed on my vulnerability."
About a month later, on the pretext of helping him, the "friend" sent him information on a forex trading house, urging him to try his luck and make some money to tide over.
The "friend" promised to give him useful tips and told him he would slowly gain the confidence to trade. "It sounded interesting. And as I was the one making the trades, I saw no harm in trying since this 'friend' said it was easy to make money," says James.
He was led to believe he was dealing with a real trading house in Hong Kong as he had to submit personal documents and go through an investor questionnaire to ensure he knew the risks of such trades.
James wanted to start the trade with around $20,000 and was told to buy cryptocurrency as the money could be transferred immediately. Although this is not the norm for many trading houses, James did not suspect anything as he was making steady profits.
At one stage, he made a request to withdraw $100,000 and the transfer to his bank account here was done almost immediately.
This convinced him that the trades were genuine and he ended up putting $800,000 of his savings into the game.

By September last year, his account was up by almost $8 million. He then wanted to withdraw $400,000 but his request was denied due to "a seasonal accounting process".
He made the same request a few days later and again, he could not withdraw because he was told that he had not paid the taxes for his gains. That raised an alarm as taxes would normally be deducted automatically at source and a person would not need to pay anything.
James contacted the Hong Kong tax authorities to verify this and got a shock when officers told him they did not have any record of his investment. Then came the bombshell - there was no such trading house in the city.
Not surprisingly, James was soon out in the cold as all communications related to the scam were cut off. He then reported his loss to the police in Singapore.
Soon after, he joined the Global Anti-Scam Organisation's support group and realised that the trading house which cheated him was probably based in Indochina, not Hong Kong.
"I only trade with regulated companies. I didn't made checks on this company because I thought it was based in Hong Kong. I trusted the system there and didn't see this coming," he says.
Due to the sophisticated software that was used in the scam, even an experienced investor like James was fooled into thinking his trades were real.
"In this whole saga, I thought I was doing forex trades. But I was actually funding the account and doing fictitious trades. After I discovered the scam, I called my 'friend' but the number was no longer in use."

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Man laundered criminal proceeds from sale of S$34,000 Rolex watch using cryptocurrency, gets jail​

Man laundered criminal proceeds from sale of S$34,000 Rolex watch using cryptocurrency, gets jail

File photo of Singapore dollars. (File photo: AFP/Roslan Rahman)

Lydia Lam

@LydiaLamCNA
10 Feb 2022

SINGAPORE: A man was cheated of S$34,000 by a person posing as an employee at a reputable cryptocurrency company.
The victim had transferred the sum to a bank account, expecting to get cryptocurrency in return.

Instead, he never got the cryptocurrency. The S$34,000 was used to buy a Rolex Daytona watch, and a series of men were roped into the concealment of the crime by reselling the watch and converting it into cash or cryptocurrency to avoid suspicion.
Elroy Low Zi Quan, 22, agreed to help in this venture. After getting his hands on S$28,000 of the illegal proceeds, he used S$25,000 of it to buy cryptocurrency and escape detection. He also spent another S$3,000 on his own expenses.
Low was sentenced to 21 weeks' jail on Thursday (Feb 10) for his involvement. He pleaded guilty to one count of converting criminal proceeds, with another charge taken into consideration.
The court heard that an individual known only as K cheated a 31-year-old man by impersonating an employee of a well-known cryptocurrency company.
The victim transferred S$34,000 into a bank account in exchange for cryptocurrency that he never received. Instead, K used the money as payment for a Rolex Daytona watch.

On Apr 11, 2021, K sent a message to Low on messaging application Telegram. He asked Low to collect the watch on his behalf, offering to pay him S$5,000.
Low agreed and contacted another man to collect the watch on his behalf. More men were roped in, and the watch was collected from a shop in Somerset Road, and handed to Low that same day.
The next day, Low texted K on Telegram and asked how he had obtained the watch. K admitted that he had cheated someone into transferring S$34,000 to the bank account of the watch shop in exchange for cryptocurrency.
K asked Low to sell the watch, offering another S$5,000 to him to do so. Tempted by the money offered, Low agreed.
To avoid getting caught, Low obtained a new number and used it to contact different watch shops, asking how much they would pay for the Rolex Daytona.

He decided to sell it to a shop at 1 Maritime Square for S$31,000. He again contacted another man to help him sell the watch. This man asked a second man, who asked a third man to do the deed.
Eventually, the watch was sold to the shop for S$31,000. However, Low claims he received only S$28,000, with the other S$3,000 paid out for one of the men's help.
Low did not deposit the S$28,000 immediately into his bank account, as he knew that directly depositing such a large sum of money was easily traceable and could raise suspicion.
Instead, he met an unidentified person later that day and used S$25,000 in cash to buy cryptocurrency from him. Low spent the remaining S$3,000 on his personal expenses.
A few days later, Low sold some of the cryptocurrency he had bought for S$3,500. He transferred S$3,000 of this to a bank account as directed by K.

On Apr 15, 2021, Low sold the remaining cryptocurrency he had purchased for S$21,800. He transferred S$18,000 to various bank accounts as directed by K, and retained the remaining sum of S$4,300.
The prosecutor asked for between six to eight months' jail for Low, saying that money-laundering offences are grave ones as they allow proceeds generated from serious crimes to be passed on to perpetrators, therefore facilitating such crimes.
"They are easily committed, for example, simply by having such offenders agree to receive funds in their bank accounts and subsequently transferring them to others," he said.
"However, these simple actions play a crucial role in criminal enterprise in that they allow perpetrators of the predicate crimes to conceal and ultimately to enjoy the fruits of their crimes."
He noted that the entire sum of S$34,000 was dissipated, with unknown criminals getting away with S$21,000 and no restitution made to the victim.
Low also had a "considerable level of premeditation", outsourcing the collection and sale of the watch to others and obtaining a new handphone number.
He also added a level of protection by converting S$25,000 into cryptocurrency first, knowing a direct deposit would raise suspicion.
Low was allowed to begin his jail term on Mar 7.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Jail for man who scammed S$190,000 from investors, took S$260,000 from remittance agent to pay them back​

Jail for man who scammed S$190,000 from investors, took S$260,000 from remittance agent to pay them back

TODAY file photoAlvin Goh Shu Min, 41, pleaded guilty to cheating, dishonest misappropriation of property and criminal breach of trust.
  • Alvin Goh Shu Min promoted business ventures online and got investors to join him
  • He then decided to pocket money from a remittance agent to fulfil the investors' demands for returns
  • He pretended that a China national wanted to remit money back home
  • The agent took along S$260,000 in cash to meet Goh, who took the money and fled

BY

LOUISA TANG

Published February 11, 2022

SINGAPORE — When several people who invested in Alvin Goh Shu Min’s fake business ventures demanded to see their returns, he cooked up a plan to misappropriate S$260,000 from a remittance agent and use the cash to pay the investors back.
Goh had already spent the money that the investors had entrusted with him on personal expenses, including paying himself a salary.

The 41-year-old Singaporean was jailed for three years and one month on Friday (Feb 11), after pleading guilty to one count each of dishonest misappropriation of property, criminal breach of trust, and cheating.
Five other similar charges were taken into consideration for sentencing.
The court heard that he had set up Beavers Unified Professional Services in March 2014, describing it as a brokerage firm involved in the buying and selling of small and medium enterprise businesses.

His role was to find clients who wished to sell their business, advertise their business, and link them up with prospective buyers.

HOW THE SCAMS WORKED

Around 2017, he began advertising a business venture on the online platform businessforsale.sg, relating to the opening of a franchised cafe outlet. He put out a call for suitable investors willing to invest a minimum of S$20,000.
Nine people, aged between 40 and 69, eventually expressed interest in the venture.
Goh and his two staff members then met them, explaining that they wanted to open a franchised outlet of the fArt tArtz cafe, which had several outlets across the island at the time.
The investors were also told that the startup capital required was around S$150,000 and S$250,000, with the return on investment estimated to be between 35 to 70 per cent a year.

The investments were structured in the form of purchases of shares from Goh’s mother in Celestial Delights, which was purportedly meant to be the corporate vehicle for the business venture.

Goh had set up the firm in 2017, with 200,000 shares issued to him as the sole shareholder and director.
Between March and December 2018, nine investors made payments of S$160,000 in total into bank accounts owned by Beavers.
However, around December 2018, Goh told them that they each needed to make an urgent top-up payment before he could sign a lease agreement for the franchised cafe outlet.
Growing suspicious, the investors pressed him to account for their invested monies, which many also demanded to be returned to them.
He tried to buy time by offering the investors an option to withdraw and for their shares in the business venture to be taken over. This did not materialise and he could not be reached later.

Investigations into Beavers’ and Celestial Delights’ bank account statements then showed that the investors’ cash would be quickly withdrawn and that both accounts were depleted by the end of 2018.
Goh admitted that he used the money to cover Beavers’ general expenses and his own personal ones. The business venture never came to fruition.
Goh operated a similar scam where he got a 53-year-old man to invest S$30,000 in his purported events company. In reality, Goh needed money to pay back another investor who had demanded returns in the same company.
The victim transferred the sum to Beavers’ account but never received any returns himself. Goh then could not be contacted.

TRICKED REMITTANCE AGENT

On Jan 30 in 2019, Goh contacted Mr Wong Ching Hai, a remittance agent, and expressed interest in engaging his services to exchange yuan for Singapore dollars.

Goh said that he knew of a China national who wanted to buy a restaurant in Singapore but had problems remitting money from China to Singapore.
He then proposed that the China national would remit yuan to Mr Wong’s employer’s bank account. Mr Wong would then hand over the corresponding amount in Singapore dollars in cash to Goh.
The agent agreed to the transaction, which would involve S$260,000.
On Feb 3 in 2019, the two men met at a condominium unit in Yio Chu Kang that Goh had rented through his friend.
Goh then suggested that they meet the China national’s agent. Mr Wong agreed and followed him to the basement car park, but got distracted by a phone call.
Goh seized the chance to return to the apartment, take the S$260,000 cash in S$50 bills that Mr Wong had left there, and flee.
Mr Wong called the police after realising that he could not find Goh.
Goh was arrested the next day in a budget hotel along Irrawaddy Road in the Novena area. Police officers eventually recovered S$227,550 and Goh has not made restitution for the remaining amount.
He admitted that the remittance arrangement was completely fictitious and he had misappropriated the money to pay back the investors.
For cheating, he could have been jailed for up to 10 years and fined. For criminal breach of trust, he could have been jailed for up to seven years or fined, or punished with both.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: SGX needs to be rejuvenated​

Feb 15, 2022

As a long-time investor in the Singapore equity market, Society of Remisiers (Singapore) president S. Nallakaruppan's letter, "Investor confidence in SGX needs to be restored" (Jan 29), resonated with me.
The Singapore Exchange (SGX) has lost the lustre it had in the 1990s and 2000s, almost replacing Thailand as Asia's worst equity market in 2020.
There have been several instances of fraudulent companies, with some suspending share trading and subsequently delisting without an exit offer being made to investors, causing many to lose their investments. Greater oversight may have prevented some of these defaults.
Consequently, many friends and I have progressively lost our confidence in the local equity market. Some of us have diverted our investments to larger and more dynamic markets such as the United States and Hong Kong.
As a country aspiring to be Asia's financial hub, the need for an active, dynamic and strong bourse cannot be overstated.
SGX needs to be rejuvenated.

Lawrence Loh Kiah Muan

zeebjii

Alfrescian
Loyal

Forum: SGX needs to be rejuvenated​

Feb 15, 2022

As a long-time investor in the Singapore equity market, Society of Remisiers (Singapore) president S. Nallakaruppan's letter, "Investor confidence in SGX needs to be restored" (Jan 29), resonated with me.
The Singapore Exchange (SGX) has lost the lustre it had in the 1990s and 2000s, almost replacing Thailand as Asia's worst equity market in 2020.
There have been several instances of fraudulent companies, with some suspending share trading and subsequently delisting without an exit offer being made to investors, causing many to lose their investments. Greater oversight may have prevented some of these defaults.
Consequently, many friends and I have progressively lost our confidence in the local equity market. Some of us have diverted our investments to larger and more dynamic markets such as the United States and Hong Kong.
As a country aspiring to be Asia's financial hub, the need for an active, dynamic and strong bourse cannot be overstated.
SGX needs to be rejuvenated.

Lawrence Loh Kiah Muan
One of the key players in this mess was Hsieh Fu Hua. Instead of paying for his crimes, he was richly rewarded and had gone on to even greater riches. Karma? Wait long long! LOL.