• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

sg govt show more concern for blangah FT than local NS slaves

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since he came here three years ago, Indian welder R. Baskaran, 25, has developed a ritual of visiting Little India every Sunday for a meal with friends and some shopping. For the past month, however, he has added a new activity to his Sunday itinerary - a visit to the temple.

'I pray that I will not lose my job. At work, I hear other workers talking about the company losing business and how they may fire people. I don't want to be sent home,' said the native of Tamil Nadu state.

Foreign workers have not been spared the jitters from talks of layoffs and pay cuts since the global financial turmoil hit Singapore last month. They fear that they will be the first to go in the event of massive retrenchment.

Although employers interviewed by The Sunday Times said they have not let their foreign workers go, they may have to if the economy gets worse.

Said the manager of a construction firm, who declined to be named: 'If we do not have projects to work on, how can we continue employing so many workers?'

The warning signs are already there. In a recent dialogue with Malay grassroots leaders, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said he expected the number of foreign workers to stabilise or fall in most sectors with the economic slowdown.

The construction industry is expected to be hit hard, said

Singapore Contractors Association Limited (Scal) executive director

Simon Lee, 'especially with private sector property developers post-poning building projects'.

The industry employs over 300,000 foreign workers. Latest figures show there are around 580,000 foreign labourers here and some 180,000 domestic maids.

A Ministry of Manpower (MOM) report in February said foreign workers are needed to fill jobs during the boom years - and they are the ones who will be shed in larger numbers in an economic downturn.

From 2001 to 2003, when Singapore was affected by the Sars crisis, foreign employment contracted by 71,600.

In 1998, following the Asian financial crisis, more than 7,000 foreign workers had their work permits cancelled because employers, affected by the downturn, had defaulted on levy payments, said MOM.

Maids, too, are worried about losing their jobs. Indonesian maid Nini Kuyadi, 25, has been warned by her employer that she may be sent home if he is retrenched.

'I feel very sad. I still want to work and support my parents back home,' she said.

During the last Asian financial crisis, the number of complaints from maids who were not paid nearly doubled from 165 in 1997 to 302 in 1998, MOM figures showed.

Many were sent home or returned to agencies to be transferred to another employer.

Some agencies are already seeing employers with financial troubles returning their maids.

In the past month, Mr Wilson Wang, director of Workforce International, has seen three or four such cases.

'These employers work as insurance and property agents, and they are badly affected by the crisis. There are also retrenched expats who cannot keep their maids because they have to leave the country,' he said.

Other maid agencies foresee there will be more such cases next year, when the economy is expected to worsen.

Service staff, too - many from the Philippines and China - worry for their future in Singapore.

With foreign visitor arrivals in Singapore falling for the third straight month in August, there could be retrenchments in restaurants and shops, said analysts.

Filipino service staff Angeline D., 28, is already looking for jobs in Dubai just in case she loses her customer service job in the telecommunications industry here.

'I can't afford to be out of job because I'm supporting my family back home. I will go any place that is willing to hire me,' she said.

[email protected]

Do you think foreign workers should be the first to be retrenched in a recession? Send your e-mail to suntimes @sph.com.sg

sally

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since he came here three years ago, Indian welder R. Baskaran, 25, has developed a ritual of visiting Little India every Sunday for a meal with friends and some shopping.

Since Michael went to Melbourne three years ago, he has developed a ritual of visiting Chinatown every Sunday for a meal with friends and some shopping :smile:

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Recession: FTs fear for their future woh

<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top> Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Recession: FTs fear for their future woh</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">kojakbt22 <NOBR>
icon.aspx
</NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">8:11 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 16) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>3171.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Foreign workers fear for their future
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD>Many face retrenchment if economy gets worse</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Author --></TD></TR><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Nur Dianah Suhaimi </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Since he came here three years ago, Indian welder R. Baskaran, 25, has developed a ritual of visiting Little India every Sunday for a meal with friends and some shopping. For the past month, however, he has added a new activity to his Sunday itinerary - a visit to the temple.

'I pray that I will not lose my job. At work, I hear other workers talking about the company losing business and how they may fire people. I don't want to be sent home,' said the native of Tamil Nadu state.
Foreign workers have not been spared the jitters from talks of layoffs and pay cuts since the global financial turmoil hit Singapore last month. They fear that they will be the first to go in the event of massive retrenchment.
Although employers interviewed by The Sunday Times said they have not let their foreign workers go, they may have to if the economy gets worse.
Said the manager of a construction firm, who declined to be named: 'If we do not have projects to work on, how can we continue employing so many workers?'
The warning signs are already there. In a recent dialogue with Malay grassroots leaders, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said he expected the number of foreign workers to stabilise or fall in most sectors with the economic slowdown.
Simon Lee, 'especially with private sector property developers post-poning building projects'.
The industry employs over 300,000 foreign workers. Latest figures show there are around 580,000 foreign labourers here and some 180,000 domestic maids.
A Ministry of Manpower (MOM) report in February said foreign workers are needed to fill jobs during the boom years - and they are the ones who will be shed in larger numbers in an economic downturn.
From 2001 to 2003, when Singapore was affected by the Sars crisis, foreign employment contracted by 71,600.
In 1998, following the Asian financial crisis, more than 7,000 foreign workers had their work permits cancelled because employers, affected by the downturn, had defaulted on levy payments, said MOM.
Maids, too, are worried about losing their jobs. Indonesian maid Nini Kuyadi, 25, has been warned by her employer that she may be sent home if he is retrenched.
'I feel very sad. I still want to work and support my parents back home,' she said.
During the last Asian financial crisis, the number of complaints from maids who were not paid nearly doubled from 165 in 1997 to 302 in 1998, MOM figures showed.
Many were sent home or returned to agencies to be transferred to another employer.
Some agencies are already seeing employers with financial troubles returning their maids.
In the past month, Mr Wilson Wang, director of Workforce International, has seen three or four such cases.
'These employers work as insurance and property agents, and they are badly affected by the crisis. There are also retrenched expats who cannot keep their maids because they have to leave the country,' he said.
Other maid agencies foresee there will be more such cases next year, when the economy is expected to worsen.
Service staff, too - many from the Philippines and China - worry for their future in Singapore.
With foreign visitor arrivals in Singapore falling for the third straight month in August, there could be retrenchments in restaurants and shops, said analysts.
Filipino service staff Angeline D., 28, is already looking for jobs in Dubai just in case she loses her customer service job in the telecommunications industry here.
'I can't afford to be out of job because I'm supporting my family back home. I will go any place that is willing to hire me,' she said.
[email protected] Do you think foreign workers should be the first to be retrenched in a recession? Send your e-mail to suntimes @sph.com.sg
[email protected]

</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%"> </TD><TD class=msgopt noWrap width="24%"> Options</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]Why fear when the PAPee God of Mercy is on the FTrash's side?[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]
retrench.jpg
[/FONT]​

downgrader

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not all news is bad news...This is great news

GO HOME ALL YOU FOREIGNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP CLOGGING UP MY COUNTRY

I NEED SPACE

I NEED AIR

I NEED PROPERTY TO COLLAPSE

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_308587.html

Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Nov 30, 2008
Foreign workers fear future
Many face retrenchment if economy gets worse
By Nur Dianah Suhaimi

[email protected]

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Not all news is bad news...This is great news

singapore collapses, everybody suffers. foreigners go home.singaporeans also suffer.no business.no development.no investments.nothing. we all stay at home and play sammyboys.

yes, foreigners all go home.singapore becomes our land. one big country with so much space for all singaporeans.then we'll gel together and become rome of the east! majulah singapura!!!

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Not all news is bad news...This is great news

GO HOME ALL YOU FOREIGNERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STOP CLOGGING UP MY COUNTRY

I NEED SPACE

I NEED AIR

I NEED PROPERTY TO COLLAPSE

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_308587.html

Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Nov 30, 2008
Foreign workers fear future
Many face retrenchment if economy gets worse
By Nur Dianah Suhaimi

[email protected]

dont send ALL the foreigners back

let the China meimeis stay okay

brother, you must differentitae bewteen good and bad

if they come steal your job, then fuck off

if they come to give you blow job, welcum welcum