• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

[Serious Poll] Goh Meng Seng vs Lee Hsien Loong, who will you vote for as MP?

STraight 1 v 1 By election

• Total voters

virus

Alfrescian
Loyal
i vote for ah loong.. although he may take $1 from my left pocket, at least he still return 5ct back to my left pocket.

and if they make a mistake, at least they bother to arrow someone junior to take responsibility.

mr goh will blame everyone else and give you 10 pages of excuses.

Last edited:

brocoli

Alfrescian
Loyal
Goh Meng Seng's 'revenge' comment draws online bashing.

By Koh Hui Theng
The New Paper
Sunday, Mar 25, 2012

Let's just say he's not shy about courting controversy. Mr Goh Meng Seng has done it again by suggesting on his blog that the National Solidarity Party (NSP) exacts "revenge" on the Workers' Party (WP) by contesting the Hougang seat.

The seat was vacated after the Member of Parliament (MP) Yaw Shin Leong of the Workers' Party was abruptly sacked from his party after allegations of an affair emerged. He consequently lost his seat.

Netizens, including some self-proclaimed WP supporters, were enraged. They blasted Mr Goh.

Remarks ranged from the incredulous - "What makes him think that NSP will do better in Moulmein-Kallang if WP had withdrawn?" - to the downright irritated. Some even accused him of daydreaming and stirring trouble.

Mr Goh, the one-time secretary-general of the NSP, has left politics. Well, sort of. He now bills himself as a political observer.

He said: "Netizens and WP supporters overreacted. I'm not encouraging NSP to contest in Hougang.

"I'm just pointing out the possibility, and I did mention I hope they would negotiate and settle to avoid a three-corner fight. If NSP wants to contest, they have to be aware of the repercussions and consequences."

Mr Goh had written on his blog: "(Entering the Hougang by-election) is not just about "revenge" for NSP to contest. It has its own strategic considerations."

So what revenge is he on about?

Mr Goh made the accusation that WP "basically bulldozed into Moulmein-Kallang" during the General Election (GE) in May last year.

NSP later withdrew from Moulmein-Kallang during negotiations, said Mr Goh.

He also "believed WP will be even bolder and bulldoze its way into Tampines and Marine Parade GRCs to go head-on with NSP" in the next election.

NSP ran in both wards, which they lost, in the last GE.

The result, come 2016 and beyond?

Mr Goh believes NSP will be forced "out of the more 'fertile' ground in the east".

After he posted his revenge comment, the online bashing quickly followed.

'I have crocodile skin'

Naysayers can say what they want, Mr Goh added, with a laugh. "I'm used to it (flaming). I have crocodile skin."

He welcomed criticism made on a logical basis, but not irrational ranting, he said. So is he suggesting a tit-for-tat move?

"Read carefully. I said it was not just about revenge but long-term strategy.

"I feel sad not because I was attacked, but because we're still a long way from being the civil society that can provide a platform for political progress."

Well, that's not the only controversial comment.

He also conjured up a dream fight.

Besides NSP's rising star Nicole Seah, MediaCorp actor and Young PAP member Tay Ping Hui could represent the People's Action Party (PAP) in the by-election.

Their high public profile would be a formidable foil to WP's preferred candidate Png Eng Huat, Mr Goh added.

Neither PAP nor WP has named its candidate for Hougang.

Mr Tay was stunned when The New Paper told him about Mr Goh's comments.

"With all due respect to Mr Goh's intention, the by-election is hardly a joking matter, I'm sure the Hougang residents are intelligent and discerning enough to vote for the person who can and will take care of them, rather than someone with 'star power'.

"Many thanks for his compliment, but no thanks to his idea... all the best to the good people of Hougang."

Ms Seah has since said she has "no intention of contesting in the Hougang by-election if it happens".

On her Facebook posting, she added: "Anyone else who does so is not taking into consideration the work of Workers' Party MP Low Thia Khiang in retaining one of Singapore's longest-serving opposition wards."

Mr Goh's former party has also distanced itself from him.

Pointing out that Mr Goh was no longer a member of NSP, current secretary-general Hazel Poa told TNP that Mr Goh was free to express his personal opinions.

"They should not be taken to reflect NSP's stand... What Nicole said was also her personal stand."

Previously a WP candidate in the 2006 GE, Mr Goh joined the NSP in 2007. He served as its secretary-general and Ms Poa took over the post last June.

She said the party's central executive committee will decide "if it is appropriate to contest only when the by-election date is called".

"Apart from whether we will be getting into a three-cornered fight, there are separate matters to consider, such as whether this is what the voter wants and whether contesting in Hougang is the best (move) for the country," she added.

"It's also too early to talk about strategy for GE 2016. A lot of things will change."

This article was first published in The New Paper.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Re: Goh Meng Seng's 'revenge' comment draws online bashing.

Vote for lhl. Life in spore is bad enough under lhl why make it worse by being under gms.

mojoe

Alfrescian
Loyal
dun laugh, this is a serious poll

you folks give too much attention to GMS; he never shone as a politician; he is history; i don't know him as a person, so no comments on that front; but if i have to choose targets for live firing both GMS and LHL fit the bill

Last edited: