• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Senior Advisor to retired US General shocked to discover Taliban motivated by Islam!

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/07/06/afghanistan-war-malkasian-book-excerpt-497843

…I have found no single answer to why we lost the war. While various explanations address different parts of the puzzle, the one I want to highlight here can perhaps be seen most clearly in the conversations I’ve had with the Taliban themselves, often in their native Pashto. “The Taliban fight for belief, for janat (heaven) and ghazi (killing infidels). … The army and police fight for money,” a Taliban religious scholar from Kandahar told me in 2019. “The Taliban are willing to lose their head to fight. … How can the army and police compete?”

The Taliban had an advantage in inspiring Afghans to fight. Their call to fight foreign occupiers, steeped in references to Islamic teachings, resonated with Afghan identity. For Afghans, jihad — more accurately understood as “resistance” or “struggle” than the caricatured meaning it has acquired in the United States — has historically been a means of defense against oppression by outsiders, part of their endurance against invader after invader. Even though Islam preaches unity, justice and peace, the Taliban were able to tie themselves to religion and to Afghan identity in a way that a government allied with non-Muslim foreign occupiers could not match.
The very presence of Americans in Afghanistan trod on a sense of Afghan identity that incorporated national pride, a long history of fighting outsiders and a religious commitment to defend the homeland. It prodded men and women to defend their honor, their religion and their home. It dared young men to fight. It sapped the will of Afghan soldiers and police. The Taliban’s ability to link their cause to the very meaning of being Afghan was a crucial factor in America’s defeat.
This explanation has been underappreciated by American leaders and experts, myself included. We believed things were possible in Afghanistan — defeat of the Taliban or enabling the Afghan government to stand on its own — that probably were not. That doesn’t necessarily mean that we should have abandoned Afghanistan long ago, given what we knew at the time. It does mean that the strategy could have been better managed to avoid expending resources on objectives that were unlikely to be attained. Less money could have been spent. Fewer lives could have been lost. But that America couldn’t have done much more than muddle along for years in the face of a relentless enemy is the unsatisfying, sometimes frustrating coda to our longest war….
A few months after returning home, I attended a discussion at the State Department with Michael McKinley, the U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan. We were having a lively debate about why the Taliban fight when the ambassador interjected. “Maybe I have read too much Hannah Arendt,” he said, referring to the 20th-century philosopher who argued that human action was spurred by fears and past experiences, “but I do not think this is about money or jobs. The Taliban are fighting for something larger.” McKinley captured what I was feeling but had not articulated, and what the Taliban scholar would reiterate for me five years later.
The Taliban exemplified something that inspired, something that made them powerful in battle, something tied to what it meant to be Afghan. They cast themselves as representatives of Islam and called for resistance to foreign occupation. Together, these two ideas formed a potent mix for ordinary Afghans, who tend to be devout Muslims but not extremists. Aligned with foreign occupiers, the government mustered no similar inspiration. It could not get its supporters, even if they outnumbered the Taliban, to go to the same lengths. Given its association with the Americans, the government’s claim to Islam was fraught, even while the Taliban were able to co-opt Afghans’ religiosity in service of their extremist vision. However wrongly, the Taliban could use U.S. occupation to differentiate themselves from the government as truer representatives of Islam. More Afghans were willing to serve on behalf of the government than the Taliban. But more Afghans were willing to kill and be killed for the Taliban. That edge made a difference on the battlefield.
The explanation is powerful, but also dangerous. It can be twisted to mean that all Muslims are bent on war or are fanatics. Such an interpretation would be wrong: Islam is a source of unity and inspiration, not of terrorism or atrocity. To say that a people have sympathy for their countrymen and co-religionists over foreigners is hardly to label Islam as evil. The point is that it is tougher to risk life for country when fighting alongside what some call occupiers, especially when they do not share your faith.
The explanation came up in a variety of conversations and correspondence I have had over the years with Afghans, military commanders, tribal leaders and Taliban themselves. Kandahar’s notorious police chief, the late Abdul Razziq, was renowned for caring for his officers and something of an authority on fighting the Taliban. He told me, “Taliban morale is better than government morale. Taliban morale is very high. Look at their suicide bombers. The Taliban motivate people to do incredible things.”
A Taliban religious leader from Paktia made a similar point:
I hear every day of an incident where police or army soldiers are killed. … I do not know if they are committed to fighting the Taliban or not. Many of the police and soldiers are there only for dollars. They are paid good salaries but they do not have the motivation to defend the government. … Taliban are committed to the cause of jihad. This is the biggest victory for them.
More convincingly, multiple surveys of Taliban opinion by Graeme Smith, Ashley Jackson, Theo Farrell, Antonio Giustozzi and others have confirmed that the Taliban fight in part because they believe it their Islamic duty to resist occupation and are convinced their cause will enable them to win. Jackson’s survey of 50 Taliban, published in 2019, discovered that they described their decision to join the movement “in terms of religious devotion and jihad—a sense of personal and public duty. In their view, jihad against foreign occupation was a religious obligation, undertaken to defend their values.” Jihad was about identity, she concluded.
This thinking extends to ordinary Afghans as well, many of whom do not subscribe to the Taliban’s extremist political vision but are sympathetic to their invocation of Islamic principles against foreign occupiers. The 2012 Asia Foundation survey, the most respected survey of the Afghan people, found that of those Afghans who strongly sympathized with the Taliban, 77 percent said they did so because the Taliban were Afghans, Muslims, and waging jihad.
Over time, aware of the government’s vulnerable position, Afghan leaders turned to an outside source to galvanize the population: Pakistan. Razziq, President Hamid Karzai and later President Ashraf Ghani used Pakistan as an outside threat to unite Afghans behind them. They refused to characterize the Taliban as anything but a creation of Islamabad. Razziq relentlessly claimed to be fighting a foreign Pakistani invasion. Yet Pakistan could never fully out-inspire occupation. A popular tale related to me in 2018 by an Afghan government official illuminates the reality:
An Afghan army officer and a Taliban commander were insulting each other over their radios while shooting back and forth. The Taliban commander taunted: “You are puppets of America!” The army officer shouted back: “You are the puppets of Pakistan!” The Taliban commander replied: “The Americans are infidels. The Pakistanis are Muslims.” The Afghan officer had no response.
Or in the shorter Afghan proverb form: “Over an infidel, be happy with a weak Muslim.”
The literature to date has respectfully neglected this explanation — in a country where people have eagerly tried to convert me to Islam, where religion defines daily life, and where insults to Islam instigate riots. The largest popular upheaval I witnessed firsthand in Afghanistan was not over the government’s mistreatment of the people or Pakistani perfidy. It was hundreds of angry villagers marching miles to the dusty bazaars of Garmser, protesting a rumor that an American had damaged a Koran….

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
These people are not sophisticated. They fight for the soil they and their forefathers have walked on.

No Westport grad or farmboy from Idaho will be able to match their willingness to fight and die compared to local folks.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
These people are not sophisticated. They fight for the soil they and their forefathers have walked on.

No Westport grad or farmboy from Idaho will be able to match their willingness to fight and die compared to local folks.

Afghans are not fighting for whatever soil. They are fighting for jihad and whatever lies they were raised in. No 72 virgins in paradise. Just a spot beside their fake prophet in hell.

orh mee suah

Alfrescian
Loyal
Militarily, the Americans did not lose the war. They achieved one of their objectives - to capture or kill Osama Bin Laden.
However, they failed to destabilize Xinjiang, China. They spent trillions on the Afghan war effort.
Time to withdraw US troops and use Ghani's regime to halt the Taliban expansion.
Biden taught that wih numbers, weaponry and airforce superiority, the Afghan govt troops can face the Taliban. He was wrong.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Afghans are not fighting for whatever soil. They are fighting for jihad and whatever lies they were raised in. No 72 virgins in paradise. Just a spot beside their fake prophet in hell.
If you are not willing to die to defend your religion, then that religion is false and the person, a hypocrite.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are not willing to die to defend your religion, then that religion is false and the person, a hypocrite.
We are asked to strive for righteousness and justice. If the religion is unjust and inflict tyranny on the population, we have to correct it.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
ok Afghan win. Islam win in Afghan. Taliban in Afghan.

Please. Stay in Afghan. Don't' busybody go to other country and bomb here and there. Nothing to do with you. You mind your business we leave you alone.

Remember that Taliban became well known because they were conducting terrorist attacks in other countries. If peaceful just stay in your own country dont go messing around.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
ok Afghan win. Islam win in Afghan. Taliban in Afghan.

Please. Stay in Afghan. Don't' busybody go to other country and bomb here and there. Nothing to do with you. You mind your business we leave you alone.

Remember that Taliban became well known because they were conducting terrorist attacks in other countries. If peaceful just stay in your own country dont go messing around.
Nope. I think the Taliban ought to return the favour. Do to american what they did to you or pay raparations.

After all its in the capitalist motto: Nothing is free in this world.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Nope. I think the Taliban ought to return the favour. Do to american what they did to you or pay raparations.

After all its in the capitalist motto: Nothing is free in this world.

Religion of peace. Practice what you preach.

Americans invaded Afghan because of Sept 11 event and Osama Bin Laden.

Here's what I think Taliban should do. Avoid the USA directly. Target the allies. Eg Europe. Singapore.

Let USA do nothing. Then Europe and Singapore will also get angry with USA and turn to Islam and you get more followers and more supporters who hate USA.

When the Taliban has successfully suicide bombed the rest of the world into converting to Islam and their cause then they will be powerful enough to destroy USA.

Just don't provoke China. Maybe the next world war......China will be the outlier and then savior.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Religion of peace. Practice what you preach.

Americans invaded Afghan because of Sept 11 event and Osama Bin Laden.

Here's what I think Taliban should do. Avoid the USA directly. Target the allies. Eg Europe. Singapore.

Let USA do nothing. Then Europe and Singapore will also get angry with USA and turn to Islam and you get more followers and more supporters who hate USA.

When the Taliban has successfully suicide bombed the rest of the world into converting to Islam and their cause then they will be powerful enough to destroy USA.

Just don't provoke China. Maybe the next world war......China will be the outlier and then savior.
It does not work that way. Islam prohibits punishing the innocent. It is a religion of peace. The Afghans never started any war. But their rights were taken away and violated. Apologies and reparation are in order. Once that is done, peace will return.

And Islam is not like the hypocrite Christians in turning the other cheek. But then they do not practise it.

Lastly, in the Quran, it states (and I paraphrase), that forgiving (the transgressors) is better for you, if only you knew.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
It does not work that way. Islam prohibits punishing the innocent. It is a religion of peace. The Afghans never started any war. But their rights were taken away and violated. Apologies and reparation are in order. Once that is done, peace will return.

And Islam is not like the hypocrite Christians in turning the other cheek. But then they do not practise it.

Lastly, in the Quran, it states (and I paraphrase), that forgiving (the transgressors) is better for you, if only you knew.

Yes forgive.

Anyway we all die eventually. Life is meaningless.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
https://www.france24.com/en/live-ne...zures-massive-boon-for-taliban-as-cities-fall

Weapon seizures 'massive boon' for Taliban as cities fall​

Issued on: 14/08/2021 - 07:30Modified: 14/08/2021 - 07:28
Taliban fighters stand on a vehicle along the roadside in Herat, Afghanistan's third biggest city

Taliban fighters stand on a vehicle along the roadside in Herat, Afghanistan's third biggest city - AFP
4 min
ADVERTISING

Kabul (AFP)
The United States spent billions supplying the Afghan military with the tools to defeat the Taliban, but the rapid capitulation of the armed forces means that weaponry is now fuelling the insurgents' astonishing battlefield successes.
"We provided our Afghan partners with all the tools -- let me emphasise: all the tools," US President Joe Biden said when defending his decision to withdraw American forces and leave the fight to the locals.

But Afghan defence forces have shown little appetite for that fight and, in their tens of thousands, have been laying down their arms -- only for the Taliban to immediately pick them up.

The Taliban's social media is awash with videos of Taliban fighters seizing weapons caches -- the majority supplied by Western powers.
Footage of Afghan soldiers surrendering in the northern city of Kunduz shows army vehicles loaded with heavy weapons and mounted with artillery guns safely in the hands of the insurgent rank and file.
The Taliban appear to have met little resistance on the ground in their offensive

The Taliban appear to have met little resistance on the ground in their offensive - AFP
In the western city of Farah, fighters patrolled in a car marked with an eagle swooping on a snake -- the official insignia of the country's intelligence service.
While US forces took the "sophisticated" equipment with them when they withdrew, the Taliban blitz has handed the group "vehicles, humvees, small arms and light weapons, as well as ammunition", Justine Fleischner of weapons-tracking group Conflict Armament Research, told AFP.
- 'Massive boon' -
Experts say such hauls -- on top of unacknowledged support from regional allies such as Pakistan -- has given the Taliban a massive boost.
The weapons will not only help the Taliban's march on Kabul but "strengthen its authority" in the cities it has captured, said Raffaello Pantucci, senior fellow at the S Rajaratnam School of International Studies.
With US troops all but gone, the Taliban now find themselves flush with American-supplied tools, without having to raise a single penny.
Such arms captures likely make the group even more of a threat to the Western-backed government

Such arms captures likely make the group even more of a threat to the Western-backed government - AFP
"It is incredibly serious. It is clearly going to be a massive boon to them," he said.
Some of that weaponry is now being brazenly paraded ahead of the US troops' 9/11 withdrawal deadline by insurgents who have maintained ties with Al Qaeda, the group behind the 2001 terror attacks.
Washington had prepared for the Taliban to claim its weapons, but the rapid fall of cities was its most dire scenario, Jason Amerine, who led US special forces in overthrowing the Taliban in 2001, told AFP.
"The US equipped the ANA with the assumption that weapons and materiel might fall into Taliban hands," he said, referring to the Afghan National Army.
"The current crisis was a worst-case scenario considered when making procurement decisions."
- Propaganda -
At Kunduz airport, a Taliban fighter on a red motorbike, head-to-toe in insurgent dress, was filmed staring at a military helicopter sitting on the tarmac.
It is a picture of jubilation mirrored across insurgent-held territory.
A Taliban fighter holds a rocket-propelled grenade in Herat

A Taliban fighter holds a rocket-propelled grenade in Herat - AFP
While the group will continue to show off these big prizes, the aircraft at least will have no impact on the battlefield without pilots.
"They will be for propaganda purposes only," former CIA counter-terrorism analyst Aki Peritz told AFP.
More useful will be the light arms and vehicles used to navigate the country's rugged terrain.
Coupled with the army's dwindling morale, they will boost the threat the Taliban pose to the Western-backed government.
As the crisis unfolds, Biden's administration says it will still equip an Afghan military that appears on the verge of collapse.
Observers of the Middle East have seen this transfer of arms play out before.
After the US withdrawal from Iraq, the Islamic State (IS) group overran the Iraqi city of Mosul in mid-2014, seizing US-supplied guns and humvees.
The jihadists used their gains to build an Iraqi-Syrian caliphate the size of Belgium.
"This retreat is turning into a rout," Peritz said.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
@porcaputtana hey bro do you know this guy? I get the impression his gender preference might be gay male?

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/cna...finds-joy-helping-afghanistan-refugees-770446

Singaporean doctor finds joy — and a new world view — helping Afghan refugees​

Born and bred in Singapore, Wee Teck Young left in 2002 to do humanitarian work. It brought him to war-ravaged Afghanistan and changed his life as well as his perspectives on relationships, success and world issues.
Singaporean doctor finds joy — and a new world view — helping Afghan refugees

Dr Wee Teck Young (centre), or Hakim as he prefers to be known, celebrating Hari Raya Puasa — Eid-e Fitr in Afghanistan — with NGO Volunteers.

Lianne Chia

@LianneChiaCNA
08 Mar 2020 02:08PM(Updated: 03 Feb 2021 06:05PM)
Bookmark
WhatsAppTelegramFacebookTwitterEmailLinkedIn
SINGAPORE: He was in private practice as a general practitioner when a patient told him something that changed his life.
A non-governmental organisation was looking for a doctor to help Afghan refugees in Quetta, an area in Pakistan along the border with war-ravaged Afghanistan.

ADVERTISEMENT​

Up to that point, Wee Teck Young’s life in Singapore was, in his words, “very typical”. And he had been looking for such an opportunity. “I think everyone has the desire to help others,” he says.
What sealed the deal, however, was the photo his patient left with him: Of an Afghan refugee and his daughter. “She was beautiful,” he recalls. “It wasn’t too difficult for me to decide that I wanted to explore this.”
The bachelor gave up his job and moved to Quetta in 2002, and then Afghanistan itself, where he has now lived for well over a decade. Since then, he acknowledges, his life has been far from typical.
hakim-in-afghanistan-3.jpg
He graduated from the National University of Singapore in 1993. His life changed when he left Singapore in 2002.
The 50-year-old, who prefers to be known as Hakim, or healer in the Afghan dialect Dari, has a finger in many pies.
While he is still licensed to practise medicine, his time is spent primarily on humanitarian work. He is an international coordinator of an NGO he started, called the Afghan Peace Volunteers, a group of young Afghans working together for non-violence.

ADVERTISEMENT​

The group’s work has been recognised internationally — and so has Hakim, who was awarded the International Pfeffer Peace Award in 2012 by the Fellowship for Reconciliation from the United States.
But his big move has changed not only his life and the lives of those he has worked with, it has also dramatically altered his perspectives on life and death, success and even world issues like climate change.
hakim-in-afghanistan-9.jpg
At an annual youth peace conference organised last year by the Afghan Peace Volunteers. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
BEYOND HEALTHCARE
Hakim spent two years in Quetta before moving to Afghanistan’s Bamiyan province as a medical specialist with an international NGO.
But as he visited and lived in remote villages to help with public healthcare education, he realised that the needs of the people he met went far beyond healthcare.

ADVERTISEMENT​

“They needed education, community development, all the many basic human needs,” says the graduate of Anglo-Chinese School and Raffles Junior College.
A peace workshop he organised at Bamiyan University opened the door to him meeting more young Afghans who felt that “they didn’t have a voice” as war raged on and people were being killed every day.
hakim-in-afghanistan-1.jpg
Hakim with Bamiyan University undergraduates from five ethnic groups who took part in a three-month peace workshop in 2008. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
“Then I said: ‘Oh, why don’t you come together?’” he recounts. So in 2009, the Afghan Peace Volunteers was formed, and in 2012, he moved to Kabul with some of the youths.
It is diverse work he does: The group focuses on initiatives loosely linked by the themes of “Green”, “Equal” and “Non-Violent”.
For example, there is a home solar energy project, a school for street children and Hakim’s passion project, “relational learning circles”, which are online focus groups encouraging members from round the world to connect and have conversations with each other.

ADVERTISEMENT​

“We can’t isolate these issues,” he says. “We need to solve these issues multi-dimensionally and see how they’re connected to one another.
“That’s how we are as human beings as well.”
hakim-in-afghanistan-6.jpg
At his NGO's Border-free Street Kids School, which has a total of 100 students. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
HEAVEN AND HELL
When asked to describe the differences between Singapore and Afghanistan, he uses a stark analogy: Singapore is heaven, and Afghanistan is hell.
That is how it was put to him by an Afghan barber who asked him why he would come from “heaven to hell”.
“In all the humanitarian indexes, from healthcare to education, peace, security, environment … you name it, they’re near rock bottom,” says Hakim.
Singapore is such a polar opposite that every time he flies home, he tells himself, “I’m leaving one world and going back to another.”
In the Afghan world, living with violence as a real and everyday possibility has made him acutely aware of how fleeting life is.
hakim-in-afghanistan-5.jpg
On the way home from work in Kabul with his friend, Bismillah, accompanying Hakim for extra safety. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
“I could die anytime,” he says, recalling an incident when a bomb went off near the house he was living in at the time. “It was so loud the shock waves broke the glass pane (to) smithereens across the room.”
By instinct, his Afghan roommate, Ali, flew across the room and was at the door before he realised that Hakim had not moved. “He just looked at me and said, ‘Move,’” he recounts.
“That’s the way it is for 32 million Afghans,” says Hakim, who has learnt not to take life, and Singapore, for granted.
“I don’t have to fret over the small little things,” he adds. “If I catch myself thinking about complaining about this or that (in Singapore), I really have to stop myself because that shows my ingratitude for how good this place has become.”
LEARNING FROM THE AFGHANS
Such near misses have “traumatised (him) in the same way they traumatise the Afghans”, which has motivated Hakim to look at trauma healing as another area of focus for the Afghan Peace Volunteers.
hakim-in-afghanistan-8.jpg
A psychological health seminar organised by the Afghan Peace Volunteers at the Kabul Education University. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
This was something that also made him realise that growing up in Singapore, he had been conditioned to repress his emotions, for which he needed healing.
“As a young child, I remember thinking that emotions are not trustable,” he said. “I thought that I needed to be strong (and) rational.”
He points out that Asian families tend to be less emotionally communicative, which he acknowledges he had to change in his own family.
“We do need more heart-to-heart conversations, and I want to encourage people to do that because I had to learn how to do that from the Afghans,” he says.
“The Afghans taught me to use touch, hug, sit next to the person … (and) be patient as the person cries or shouts or throws objects.”
Coping with his emotions was not the only thing he learnt from them.
“One of my presumptions was that these people are poor because they aren’t hardworking, they aren’t smart and they don’t have the abilities that I do,” he says. “When I began to work with them, I realised that wasn’t true.”
He cites the story of Najib, an Afghan boy he befriended while working with street children in Quetta.
“I asked him to write his name. He couldn’t, as he was illiterate,” he recalls. “In my misconceived world, I presumed that they didn’t go to school, so this is their lot in life.”
But he found out later that Najib had run away from a bomb that had killed his parents, and was collecting trash to survive and feed his grandmother.
“He’s brilliant,” says Hakim, with tears forming in his eyes.
He cites another incident, when he asked Najib to smile for a picture. The boy’s grandmother, however, chided him for doing so, saying that her grandson had no reason to smile. “I realised I was the uneducated person,” he says.
Najib’s story is one that Hakim has told many times. It is clearly one that is close to his heart.
hakim-in-afghanistan-2.jpg
Hakim and Najib in 2003. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
‘PLEASE, GRETA, YOU KNOW IT’
Another thing close to his heart is climate change, something he started caring about only when he saw first-hand its effect on people he cared about, he admits.
“Eighteen years ago, I didn’t care about climate change,” he says bluntly. “I thought, ‘Well, the world may be warming, but I’m okay here.’
“But when I went to Afghanistan, all that became an everyday issue.”
The wells in two of the houses he rented, for example, dried up owing to drought. He has also worked with refugees fleeing their provinces for lack of water.
Everything he saw, he says, motivated him to read up on the topic voraciously, and he spoke at length to CNA Insider not only about what Afghanistan is facing, but also the global situation.
He estimates that there are as many as 20 million Afghans facing drought, and at least 300,000 climate refugees in the country. The numbers are only going to grow as temperatures continue to climb.
In Singapore, climate change may only be a “projection (for) the future”, but he is glad that Singaporeans, particularly the young, have started to take notice. “We should encourage it, get them to care more and more,” he says.
“Ask for 100 per cent renewable energy.”
hakim-in-afghanistan-4.jpg
A solar panel delivered as part of the Afghan Peace Volunteers' Home Solar Project. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
On the global front, Hakim has nothing but praise for climate change activist Greta Thunberg, calling her a “wonderful person” who has “put a face, a heart and a mind” to the cause.
But he wishes she could do one more thing: To call not only for 100 per cent renewable energy, but also for war to be abolished and for a fairer economic system “that meets everyone’s basic human needs”.
Because all these issues are interconnected. “Please, Greta, you know it,” he says passionately.
He knows there is pessimism about the possibility that world leaders will make effective change. Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s reluctance to acknowledge climate change even in the face of bushfires and the Trump administration’s rollback of US climate change policies come to mind.
The pessimists are being realistic, he thinks, noting that those in power can “make things very difficult”. But he stresses that real change — throughout human history — “comes from the grassroots” and not the politicians.
“That pessimism or realism mustn’t dampen our spirits,” he said. “If all the Australians are out there putting out the bushfires, saying, ‘what, you don’t believe this is real?’ ... the Prime Minister would have to seriously rethink his stance.”
THE IMPORTANCE OF RELATIONSHIPS
Just as he was motivated to read up on war and climate change, Hakim believes that Singaporeans — or all of humanity for that matter — would care more about such world issues if they knew people who have been personally affected.
hakim-in-afghanistan-7.jpg
Afghan Peace Volunteers wearing blue scarves symbolising the belief that all humans live under the same blue sky. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
“If Singaporeans had refugee friends, they’d open up their rooms and house them,” he says readily — a confidence perhaps sparked by his own experience. “I have faith in all of humanity,” he replies when pressed about it.
For this reason, he champions relationship-building as an important part of his work. This is where his relational learning circles come in.
“We have the technology to communicate with one another and, in a practical way, increase our care for one another,” he says. “We’re capable of violence, but we’re also caring people, so let’s focus on that instead.”
This same concept and faith in humanity underpins another important part of the Afghan Peace Volunteers’ work: Helping people to become mediators.
The military, says Hakim, represents a “conventional way” of maintaining security. But his unwavering belief is that all problems can be solved using non-violent methods like negotiations. “Even the most difficult conflict problems in Afghanistan can be solved that way.”
hakim-in-afghanistan-10.jpg
Hakim with a volunteer, Hamid, at the Border-free Nonviolence Community Centre, where his NGO organises its activities. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
When asked if global inequality can be solved in the same way, he again points to the need for important conversations.
He suggests scaling up the Afghan Peace Volunteers’ work in setting up worker cooperatives, where every worker has a share in the business, as an ideal solution to the issue.
“The very-rich-income owners need to decide, together with the low-income owners, that ‘I can do with less’,” he says. “Give me a lower salary. Cut it. Have a minimum and a maximum wage.”
Such details need to be specific to every community and country, he adds. “But we have the skill and technology to be able to do that.
“So let’s have those conversations and decide together.”
This means high-income earners would need to be content with less, while low-income earners cannot expect to earn as much as the top earners but only “what they need”.
But would people buy into this idea? “It’s possible,” he says optimistically. “Very possible.”
A DIFFERENT MEASURE OF SUCCESS
His belief in this, it seems, comes from personal experience. He is the first to admit that over the past 18 years, his perspective on life — and success — has changed dramatically.
hakim-in-afghanistan-11.jpg
Hakim at his GP clinic with a young patient, not very long before he left for Quetta. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
Today, his needs are simple: He estimates that he spends about S$80 to S$90 a month on food and about S$100 for rent. “I have food, water and shelter, so I don’t need any money for now,” he says.
He does not draw a salary, while the Afghan Peace Volunteers relies on funding from his friends from medical school, and other peace groups from round the world.
Twice a year, he returns home to visit his parents, aged 80 and 81, as well as his older brother, who is married with family. Home in Singapore is a three-room flat in the Holland area, which he shares with his parents when he visits.
His life is very different from what he had envisioned when he was a student and a doctor here. “I was made to believe that if I got a better grade or was smarter, I was successful,” he says.
“But why did I want to be academically successful? Because I wanted a stable and good income.”
hakim-in-afghanistan-12.jpg
Receiving his graduation certificate in 1993. (Photo: Wee Teck Young)
To him, material things are no longer a measure of success. If they were, he observes, the most successful Afghans today would be the crooks.
Now, he focuses on spending time with his loved ones, building relationships and caring for as many people as he can.
“I hope to encourage people across the world to know and understand one another, person to person,” he said. “Full relationships — and we have the technology for that.
“That’s my dream.”
hakim-in-afghanistan-end.jpg

Source: CNA/dp

Recall what I said about getting successful and rich at the top level? Gotta be not so honest, not so ethical, not so kind, not so good. LOL!

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
We are asked to strive for righteousness and justice. If the religion is unjust and inflict tyranny on the population, we have to correct it.

Taliban and boko haram atrocities all are guided by the koran which is believed to be the direct revelation of Allah to mankind. When they believe the book is from a just god, all the intructions from the book must be just and right. So don't blame the people following the book but the book itself. Is allah god or satan, the answer should be clear.

US is stupid to pour billion of dollars in rebuilding afghan's infrastructures, without understanding islamic culture and values.

duluxe

Alfrescian
Loyal
@porcaputtana

Singaporean doctor finds joy — and a new world view — helping Afghan refugees​

Do muslims help infidel refugeees?
This doctor is a dumb doctor. Whatever joy he may have gained, he is oblivious to what the real muslim believers and imams think of him in their native languages. haha, he will still go to hell.You don't find their own islamic world helping them. Just leave the cavemen alone, they rot they own business.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They are fighting for their country, religion and rights! Just like how they fought the russians. Now is US! This is Jihad cos enemy and hypocrites are on their soil (invasion). They are at the receiving end. They have to defend themselves without any sophisticated weapons. Even with such weapons, we can see those dogs running away with their tails between their legs.

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not surprise that the Taliban will take over.

The media all along portrait the Afghans as being exploited and wish to be free from autocratic rules ... they only interview the few minority intellect. In reality, most Afghans are still backwards and supported the Taliban. There is no easy explanation why the Afghan army gave up the fight so easily.

There is no way to win a war against these people. The only way to win is using "Hitler's Final Solution". Else I bet with my last dollar that no other country can occupy another by force.

On the hindsight, USA did not actually lost. They can kill all the population of Afghanistan if they wanted to. If we were to live during Genghis Khan era, I am sure there will be no Afghan left to celebrate. So US pull out to minimize cost and lost of lives, and not because they could defeat the Taliban. It is just a miscalculation on their part. If they were to understand the concept of "Race and IQ", I am sure the US will did a different approach.

Race and IQ
IQ Map-2.png

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not surprise that the Taliban will take over.

The media all along portrait the Afghans as being exploited and wish to be free from autocratic rules ... they only interview the few minority intellect. In reality, most Afghans are still backwards and supported the Taliban. There is no easy explanation why the Afghan army gave up the fight so easily.

There is no way to win a war against these people. The only way to win is using "Hitler's Final Solution". Else I bet with my last dollar that no other country can occupy another by force.

On the hindsight, USA did not actually lost. They can kill all the population of Afghanistan if they wanted to. If we were to live during Genghis Khan era, I am sure there will be no Afghan left to celebrate. So US pull out to minimize cost and lost of lives, and not because they could defeat the Taliban. It is just a miscalculation on their part. If they were to understand the concept of "Race and IQ", I am sure the US will did a different approach.

Race and IQ
View attachment 120746

UK failed. Russia failed. And u tink ur yankee will succeed? Talk abit iq and race.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
End of the day China will emerge as the winner! Look at all the natural minerals Afghanistan own. Rare earth one of them.

What mineral is Afghanistan rich in?

In 2010, a report by US military experts and geologists estimated that Afghanistan, one of the world's poorest countries, was sitting on nearly $1 trillion (€850 billion) in mineral wealth, thanks to huge iron, copper, lithium, cobalt and rare-earth deposits