• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP wants clean campaign and not name calling about eating oyster omelette

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
http://sgfuck.org/mybb/Thread-SDP-w...not-name-calling-about-eating-oyster-omelette

Today 4:57 PM http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/mobile/posted_0.gif Post: #1
forum456 http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/buddy_offline.gif
Elite Junior

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/sdp-wants-good-clean-ge/2053804.html

CMt4igs.jpg

The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) held its 35th anniversary dinner on Saturday (Aug 15) with secretary-general Chee Soon Juan arguing that problems with economic and social well-being cannot be meaningfully addressed without advancement of political rights.

Setting the SDP apart from other opposition parties, Dr Chee told the gathering of 300 party members, supporters and members of the public that it is the only party to consistently maintain that political rights and economic progress are “two sides of the same coin” and “inextricably bound”, and the only party to have drawn up its vision for the nation.

“There’s nothing worse than asking voters to vote for change when we don’t know what that change will look like,” said Dr Chee, who said his party is advocating a system where people can shape their own future.

Potential SDP candidate, Professor Paul Tambyah, also said the party, which is expected to contest in Holland-Bukit Timah and Marsiling Yew-Tee Group Representation Constituencies and Bukit Batok Single Member Constituency, would have a “good, clean campaign” that allows Singaporeans to make decisions on important issues.

To decide on what kind of Singapore we want to have, not a campaign that degenerates into name calling or silly jibes about eating orh luak (oyster omelette),” said Prof Tambyah, an infectious diseases expert and academic. His remark appeared to be an oblique reference to People’s Action Party first assistant secretary-general Teo Chee Hean taking a swipe on Friday at Workers’ Party’s management of town council finances, through WP chairman Sylvia Lim’s Instagram post of herself sampling oyster omelette in Fengshan single-member ward, where her party intends to contest.

In his speech, Prof Tambyah, who is in the process of joining the SDP after recently leaving human rights group Maruah, said he got involved with the SDP because he wanted change in the healthcare financing system. “The current healthcare system, and even the much talked about MediShield Life, has got heavy co-payments and high deductibles and it punishes people who are sick through no fault of their own. We need a new healthcare financing system,” he said. MediShield Life is the universal insurance scheme protecting against large hospital bills that will kick in from November, replacing MediShield.

Speaking to reporters, Dr Chee promised an “exciting slate” from the SDP in the coming General Election but said the line-up would be announced “much closer to Nomination Day”.

At the dinner, Dr Chee played the guitar and performed two songs with his daughters, while the SDP central executive committee performed the party’s GE2015 song called I Will Be The One.

Civil society activists including Ms Teo Soh Lung and some Opposition politicians including Mr Goh Meng Seng of the People’s Power Party were among attendees.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I used to be resentful and suspicious of CSJ. After all, he behaved and talked like a hooligan those days. And he deprived Chiam of his leadership at SDP. Through the years, I saw that he mellowed and became humbled, did not throw in the towel after so much persecution, pressed on with the task and stayed true to his conviction. He was not broken, but instead kept the faith. Now the PAP has a real big problem on their hands, in the form of Mr Chee Soon Juan and the SDP.

kopiOuncle

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to be resentful and suspicious of CSJ. After all, he behaved and talked like a hooligan those days. And he deprived Chiam of his leadership at SDP. Through the years, I saw that he mellowed and became humbled, did not throw in the towel after so much persecution, pressed on with the task and stayed true to his conviction. He was not broken, but instead kept the faith. Now the PAP has a real big problem on their hands, in the form of Mr Chee Soon Juan and the SDP.

never underestimate a great psychologist a great politician a great agent

funny-middle-finger-old-lady.gif

airplug

Alfrescian
Loyal
They should stop smearing individuals and concentrate on the real matters that affect Singaporeans.

http://sgfuck.org/mybb/Thread-SDP-w...not-name-calling-about-eating-oyster-omelette

Today 4:57 PM http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/mobile/posted_0.gif Post: #1
forum456 http://sgfuck.org/mybb/images/buddy_offline.gif
Elite Junior

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/sdp-wants-good-clean-ge/2053804.html

CMt4igs.jpg

The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) held its 35th anniversary dinner on Saturday (Aug 15) with secretary-general Chee Soon Juan arguing that problems with economic and social well-being cannot be meaningfully addressed without advancement of political rights.

Setting the SDP apart from other opposition parties, Dr Chee told the gathering of 300 party members, supporters and members of the public that it is the only party to consistently maintain that political rights and economic progress are “two sides of the same coin” and “inextricably bound”, and the only party to have drawn up its vision for the nation.

“There’s nothing worse than asking voters to vote for change when we don’t know what that change will look like,” said Dr Chee, who said his party is advocating a system where people can shape their own future.

Potential SDP candidate, Professor Paul Tambyah, also said the party, which is expected to contest in Holland-Bukit Timah and Marsiling Yew-Tee Group Representation Constituencies and Bukit Batok Single Member Constituency, would have a “good, clean campaign” that allows Singaporeans to make decisions on important issues.

To decide on what kind of Singapore we want to have, not a campaign that degenerates into name calling or silly jibes about eating orh luak (oyster omelette),” said Prof Tambyah, an infectious diseases expert and academic. His remark appeared to be an oblique reference to People’s Action Party first assistant secretary-general Teo Chee Hean taking a swipe on Friday at Workers’ Party’s management of town council finances, through WP chairman Sylvia Lim’s Instagram post of herself sampling oyster omelette in Fengshan single-member ward, where her party intends to contest.

In his speech, Prof Tambyah, who is in the process of joining the SDP after recently leaving human rights group Maruah, said he got involved with the SDP because he wanted change in the healthcare financing system. “The current healthcare system, and even the much talked about MediShield Life, has got heavy co-payments and high deductibles and it punishes people who are sick through no fault of their own. We need a new healthcare financing system,” he said. MediShield Life is the universal insurance scheme protecting against large hospital bills that will kick in from November, replacing MediShield.

Speaking to reporters, Dr Chee promised an “exciting slate” from the SDP in the coming General Election but said the line-up would be announced “much closer to Nomination Day”.

At the dinner, Dr Chee played the guitar and performed two songs with his daughters, while the SDP central executive committee performed the party’s GE2015 song called I Will Be The One.

Civil society activists including Ms Teo Soh Lung and some Opposition politicians including Mr Goh Meng Seng of the People’s Power Party were among attendees.

Last edited:

Huat-Ah

Alfrescian
Loyal

Totally agreed.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Your perception of him probably formed because of how pap's mainstream media stereotyped him.
Pap is very scare of this man....else they wouldn't have tried ways and means to do him in.....hanging various handles on him. Even to the extend of portraying him as their stooge/mole.
Think if he is really is such a madman would so many learned and enlightened individuals follow him?
Nothing wrong with his old style too but many as Asian society that style was not suited.
Like I said many times he is ahead of our time.
Now that he has mellowed he's more well accepted. That's even better.
I find SDP under him has always had the best alternate policies and manifesto.
I hope they can resonate with more voters.
It will really be a great day when their candidates can get into parliament. The vile pappies will be pissing in their pants.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Your perception of him probably formed because of how pap's mainstream media stereotyped him.
Pap is very scare of this man....else they wouldn't have tried ways and means to do him in.....hanging various handles on him. Even to the extend of portraying him as their stooge/mole.
Think if he is really is such a madman would so many learned and enlightened individuals follow him?
Nothing wrong with his old style too but many as Asian society that style was not suited.
Like I said many times he is ahead of our time.
Now that he has mellowed he's more well accepted. That's even better.
I find SDP under him has always had the best alternate policies and manifesto.
I hope they can resonate with more voters.
It will really be a great day when their candidates can get into parliament. The vile pappies will be pissing in their pants.

Yes you are correct about the MSM influence. And also we saw him shouting at wooden during a walk about, his hunger strike, his antics at Hong Lim, etc. Just a lot of drama those days. I have always knew he is ahead of our time, thus most sinkies are not ready for his style. By mellowing and being less in-your-face confrontational, I trust more sinkies will find him more acceptable and credible. Then their alternate policies and manifesto will be taken more seriously.

Indeed, it would really be great if he or someone else from the SDP gets into parliament.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The PAP could counter with a food-related Instagram post of their own.

How about 'Sedap! The taste of [insert name of constituency with many Malays]'.

Halal bak kut teh. :cool: