• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP - From strength to democratic strength

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sometimes I do find that due to our own biasness that cause us not to be objective and hence the confusion.

Personally, I felt the same way because I am not a fan of incoherence. I think it's very good and laudable for one to identify one's own weakness, admit so and change. All the best.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think SDP style to politics is similar to the US style of confrontation.

which doesn't work here in SGP, because the rules are set by Hakka Lee.

SDP should continue to work to change the rules..

Once the rules are fair all parties, then we can really see some progress...

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Perspective

LTS laid out everything so clearly even the blind dumb and deaf could make out who said what and when. All GMS did was state a source and a conversation between a source which could be anyone of a hundred people

Locke

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Phouse

The party only wants to contest when ALL things are perfectly free and fair in the world of democracy. I would refer you to their own website hyperlinked below which states the following. In essence elections in itself in their view even if the opposition wins serves no purpose to ultimately defeating the PAP. I fundamentally disagree on that point and think it a load of bull.

yoursdp.org/index.php/the-party/why-we-do-what-we-do

''When the political process is democratic, when the media is free and pluralistic, and when opposition parties are allowed to freely campaign for votes, the SDP is confident that the majority of Singaporeans will vote for it and give us the chance to lead Singapore into an exciting and democratic future, one that is full of hope, security, and prosperity not just in material terms, but spiritual ones as well."

"Boycotting elections is a worthy gambit if all opposition parties would cooperate and take a united stand. Given present circumstances, however, this is unlikely to happen. But boycotting elections is only a part of a bigger strategy that is needed to reform our election system. What is even more important is that Singaporeans must be empowered to rid themselves of authoritarianism. In the meantime the Singapore Democrats will take part in elections because election rallies are an important opportunity to reach out and educate the people of the strengths of democracy. We will not stop there, however. The SDP will also urge the proactive use of non-violent action to work towards reforming the election system."

'It is important to add at this juncture that the PAP may allow a few more opposition MPs to be elected in future elections in order to counter the SDP’s strategy. When this happens, the PAP can then say that the election system is democratic, thus, negating the need for mass protests. But even if Parliament has a few more opposition members, how will that alter the decision-making process when the PAP overwhelmingly controls the house? The PAP can easily change the rules again in following elections and “win” back the seats they lost, and we’ll be back to square one. In the meantime, another 5 or 10 years would have passed and little would have changed.

Locke

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
Dear Locke,

Sigh. I won't mind if this is about more intellectual inputs. I won't even mind if she disagrees with me and put up another view. While we are talking about orange, she is talking about apple, more petty about who and who I was speaking to and such. At such intellectual level, she starts to tell other people not to give advice. Sigh.

You asked me who I have spoken to and you know my answer, I won't even tell you who that person is. But alas! A little information known to a person like her is really dangerous. I would rather she talked about how silly I was with my views instead of barging brainlessly into something which is out of her depth of understanding why certain information has to be kept as it is.

You should thank her though, for she has answered your question to me. Such silly bickering without knowing head or tail is really sickening.

Goh Meng Seng

Dear GMS

Sigh she assumes it is that person and by adding details ensures greater speculation of who that person is. I really wonder what sort of EGO and logic assumes all roads lead to ROME and in particular marvel super heroes and Vietnam Era twin engined fighter bombers.

So either her speculation is correct and she has inadvertently led the identity slip because she has revealed greater details than you or she is one self obessesed naval gazing idiot.

Locke

LaMei

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is not a question of political approach. The article clearly states the party wants to contest.

But from a pragmatic perspective, we know the liabilities of the CEC members and the party are joint and several. It is possible for the plaintiffs to file a petition to wind up the party.

And in one of the scenarios where the parliamentary route is rendered useless, would the party cry foul and degenerate into political activism again? Why the predeterminism? Why the martyrdom? Why not explore other avenues?

Isn't it better for people to know sooner rather than later? I don't think confidentiality is important anymore.

Hi phouse3;

In 2006, SDP was slap with defamation suits and trials but that does not stop them from continuing to participate in the GE.

Whether the GE will be held today or next year, SDP is still actively involved in engaging the ruling party and the people on issues which concerns Singaporeans, and this is evident from their website.

SDP, to me, goes beyond just GE and that itself deserve my respect and confidence that they will find ways and means to make themselves be seen and heard despite the odds against them.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, no post needed from you. Always know where you stand. The subject, content, the views, the opinions can be anything but I know where you always stand. One day your patience may be rewarded.

Frankly, thats the most childish reasoning that I have come across. Anyone can comment about anything. Since when other parties are off limits. How did it come to that.

The whole forum has been paying a heavy price as a result of you for the last few years. We don't need another Bob Sim war.

Remember most of us were around when the "Darling Vincent" episode started the mother of all clone wars. Please, enough is enough. You start the fire and you walk away. We end up paying the price.

I'm not trying to play judge, but I personally think that Lamei has the stronger case. It's Meng Seng barging into other parties' business, not Lamei barging into his.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opposition must first be united before this could happen, otherwise it cannot attract more quality candidates to stand for election.

Opposition must addressed all the issues here...and provide better alternatives to what PAP can offer..

Otherwise the buddha cycle suffering Singaporeans will repeat itself..

remember only Jesus Christ can save Singaporeans..

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Opposition must first be united before this could happen, otherwise it cannot attract more quality candidates to stand for election.

Stop dreaming. There's no such thing as opposition unity. If there's unity, there'd be only one oppositon party.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stop dreaming. There's no such thing as opposition unity. If there's unity, there'd be only one oppositon party.

Opposition unity doesn't mean one opposition party. Then again, I think it would be helpful for advocators of the idea to state what they want. I remember one Kakowi who got more evasive than necessary when asked after he said the same.

When opposition avoids 3-corner fight they said "no, this is not what I mean". When SDA was formed again they said "no, this is not it". Yet you can never pool all the parties in one for obvious reasons. I can understand if any less-tempered opposition member would be so incensed as to scream "then WTF do you want?"

disgusted

Sorry to say that, you are not in any position to give any advice to anybody

Ahh...and you think you ARE in in any position to give any advice to anybody? If this is a joke it's a really sick one.

disgusted

He does not have to be Jesus Christ to make comments about politics or share his thoughts on what would be ideal for opposition politics in Singapore.

Nope. But he sure is a clown for trying to dish out advice. Wanker!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear GMS

The SDP has always had a nothing or everything mindset. Elections are not free fair and democratic and thus the results are unreflective of the will of the people. They have thus been hindered from competeting effectively and they will thus resort to extra parliamentary means. Given a level playing field, they are sure that people will vote for them.

Granted that whole reasoning above is premised on the ability to challenge effectively PAP rule and to be able to offer effective alternative government. What they can't see sadly is the fact that winning despite the odds , one grc or two grcs will effectively force the PAP to shift its political position in response to such a loss in order to stem the loss of votes. Limited objectives versus the grand objective, they just do not seem to buy into the limited objective view

Locke

in short, AESOP'S fable about the cunning fox who couldn't reach the grapes and mocking them as sour.

even shorter: SOUR PUSSIES. simple. sweet. direct to the sdppies clowns.:smile:

yellow people

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in short, AESOP'S fable about the cunning fox who couldn't reach the grapes and mocking them as sour.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zqjtz3rEPG0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zqjtz3rEPG0&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pigs see pigs do!!

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Leetahbar,

I wouldn't reveal who that friend is here. :wink:

As long as he is in the fight to change the political system here, that's fine with me.

Goh Meng Seng

the crunch and crux of the whole idea of being opp party should rest on one very simple question:

IS THE OPP CANDIDATE FOR HIMSELF OR FOR THE PEASANTS OF THE WARD HE'S VYING FOR?

what do u think?

some are doing it simply to please him/her self or to please someone or to outstand him/her self or simply the attraction of the status upgrade and not to mention the cool $13.5k per mth allowances for the one who rules over the ward.

where does that leave the peasants? as usual - high and dry.:(

yellow people

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
what do u think?

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LsfA1fAWZKI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

I think you are stupid as u should be! :biggrin:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
has anyone observed something strange here?

my monitor's screen seems to have elongated. someone's using another pc terminal in his confidential office:wink: