• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

SDP and the coming GE - An interesting journey

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SDP is probably the most perfect weapon to use against the PAP because a vote for SDP hurts the PAP emotionally much more than a vote for any other opposition. If you truly despise the PAP, strike them hard by voting SDP, even if you despise the SDP equally. They won't take it lightly and that's the emotional reaction you want to elicit at the ballot box.

After CSJ took over SDP, it's the most perfect armour in PAP armoury, whether intentionally or not. They're better than walkovers for PAP, for they give PAP a voted mandate. SDP lost two seats back to PAP in 1997 and after 2001, everywhere SDP contested returned more than 70% to PAP. With enemies like that, who needs friends? Had SDP boycotted GE 2006, the PAP nationwide popular votes would fall below 60%.

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
The timing is still rather early as GE looks increasing unlikely to take place. There is nothing wrong in preparing before things heat up, but can all the parties maintain or would they just ran out of steam when things finally turn ahead?

SDP
I guess SDP feels that they should kick off their campaign as early and as visible as possible. This can be a good thing for both SDP and the voting public as it shows that opposition parties are not "fly by night" as PAP had wanted to paint them to be. However, I m concern with the approach and the issues that been put up. Can the public connect with those issues? will the public be able to understand and act upon them?

NSP
NSP seems to be doing everything right for the moment. GMS kick off his own campaign both on a personal level as well as a party level by showing connedction with the ground such as the Malay Branch and is in the mids of coming up with more initiative. But can NSP be like an octopus, do so many things at the same time? or would they end up as a sotong, comfusing not just themselves but also the other oppositons as well instead of tying down PAP?

RP
Too little, too small but too threatening to the PAP. many here might not know that but when goverment officials conduct their annual National Education program, KJ had been highlighted again and again as the "ideal" opposition leader where the rest are deem worthless and that only KJ can serve the interest. But of who's interest?

SDA/SPP
Chiam is the man and he is the only man. And he is only a man
Enough said

WP
WP is trying very very hard to be off PAP's radar by keeping as quiet as possible on the internet and only goes out to engage the public in the traditional setting of walkabouts and handshakes. Does that work? To the older generation perhaps. But the younger generations dont have the time to sit around in markets and coffeeshops to wait for WP to appear. But WP does have a ray of hope thanks to the list of incomptences that PAP had been dishing out. yet such incompetences could be dismissed by some as just "mistakes" and hence forgiven. Can WP take advantage of that and win the first GRC for the opposition, finally giving the old man that rework of his pace-maker which is long overdue.

We shall see.....

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
After CSJ took over SDP, it's the most perfect armour in PAP armoury, whether intentionally or not. They're better than walkovers for PAP, for they give PAP a voted mandate. SDP lost two seats back to PAP in 1997 and after 2001, everywhere SDP contested returned more than 70% to PAP. With enemies like that, who needs friends? Had SDP boycotted GE 2006, the PAP nationwide popular votes would fall below 60%.

perhaps its time to "rework" SDP and give them a "makeover". But who can do it? and how can that be done?

With the same set of people hanging around, it could be a case of changing the soup but not the medication.....no result at all.

fivestars

Alfrescian
Loyal
SINGAPORE - AN OPPOSITION party urged Singapore's government to slow the influx of foreign workers at a rare public rally on Saturday in the tightly controlled city-state.

About 200 supporters of the Singapore Democratic Party also called for a minimum wage and a lower sales tax to improve living standards for workers.

'All we're doing is bringing in cheap foreign labour,' SDP Secretary General Chee Soon Juan said in the rally at Speaker's Corner park, the only place outdoor rallies are allowed. 'Citizens can't make a decent living when they have to compete with foreigners.'

A sharp increase in the number of foreign workers in the last few years is likely to be a key issue in the next general elections, which the government must call by February 2012. About 150,000 foreign workers have entered Singapore each year since 2007, and now make up about one-third of the island's 3 million work force.

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said last month the government would allow just 80,000 foreigners in this year and acknowledged that Singaporeans are concerned that foreigners are crowding public transportation and boosting competition for jobs and housing. 'When you bring such numbers in a short period of time, you're asking for trouble,' Mr Chee said.

The government, which expects the economy to grow by as much as 15 per cent this year, has argued that foreign workers are necessary to boost growth. -- AP

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I have just attended SDP Pre-Elections rally.

Despite the initial technical glitches, I think overall it is a well organized event. I am impressed and I believe all these have to do with the new brigade of youngsters.

However, after listening to the young members' speeches, I think they will have a long way to go in terms of giving powerful rally speeches that could create great impact. Well, WP's young brigade has similar problems as well but I guess SDP's youth perform much better. But it is a good start and I believe the youngsters have a good foundation.

WP and SDP seem to have less problem of self renewal now. It is a good sign. In comparison, NSP is still a distance away in recruiting passionate youngsters who could make a difference.

When we are analysing the strength of different political parties, I think we need to take into consideration of the sustainability of the parties in terms of self renewal. From this perspective, at this moment, WP and SDP are still ahead.

Someone have commented that NSP is a "One Man Show". This is definitely far from the truth. NSP's strength actually lies in the diversity of unique individuals with very distinctive characteristics. From Tan Chee Kien, Sebastian Teo, Cheo Chye Chen to Steve Chia and I, all have strong characters. But somehow, NSP in practicing a very open consensus building system, it could avoid all the negativity of "in fighting" and such.

NSP has another more notable individual, Steve Chia, other than me. He may be staying low profile now, avoiding media exposures but he is no doubt very hardworking when it comes to party administration and groundwork. His political capital derives from his NCMP's experiences has served him well. If we manage to carry out a successful campaign by taking calculated risks and executing the right strategy and tactic, Steve Chia's team may also win as well. This is something many people overlook.

Many people in the internet may not know Sebastian Teo well enough but I can safely say that he is good leader who are willing to support and groom young people like me. For a party leader to allow the co-leader to take on most of the media limelight is not easy at all. We share many common visions and ideas as well. I am glad that I have made the right choice to work with NSP and Sebastian Teo, else I would have to build my own party from scratch, fighting an uphill battle.

My urgent task right now is to tackle the renewal problem. I guess winning seats in a successful campaign is the only way to attract young talents. Good strategy and tactical moves are just not good enough to convince young people that we are on the road to electoral success.

Goh Meng Seng

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro

1) It just something that we see every now and then we Chiam being the latest. My understanding is that Chee's is not likely and I don't think it is because of her Taiwanese background. Rajiv Ghandi's wife is an Italian and would have the current PM of India as she is the leader of the Congress but as the powerbroker, she put Manmohan in place. Also Chee's kids are young

2) Yes, about Chee being a threat in a short threat. Chee was immediately identified as the threat the moment he stepped into the limelight. He is the only other person that I know that can hold the attention of people with a mesmerizing spell like the old man. Unfortunately he speaks to PAP than the people. A major issue. He also has turned out to be to be a poor leader. He would be a dynamite candidate in WP, NSP or any other political party. He would devastating for the old man and son in parliament.

3) TKL, not in a million years. Unless he decides to be become suicidal. There is an unwritten rule in the establishment. You cannot be a cadre member of the PAP for 3 decades, enjoy the fruits of labour and then take them on after retirement. He will be run out of the country. It was the same treatment meted out to Tang. Only the presidential avenue which is a lame duck post is open to him.

Scroobal

May I ask you a few specific questions.

1. Wife taking over the husband's mantle? Are you referring to SDP/CSJ or SPP/CST?

2. Did you say in another thread that if CSJ were to concentrate on winning elections, he would be a political threat in a short time? Do you really think that will happen? I can't remember in what context, but I thought you made this comment. Please correct if I'm mistaken.

3. Now that TKL has spoken at SDP pre-rally, do you think he will stand for election as an opposition candidate and do you think he will win?
I have read your comments about him and his plans, but if he speaks at a SDP event, he won't be standing as a pap candidate for sure. If that's the case and he stands for mp election, wouldn't he definitely be going up against pap as an opposition candidate or independent, since pap will definitely contest all wards?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good summary bro. Rule of thumb for all Singaporeans - vote in any candidate that opposes the PAP even if its a bicycle thief. Its a number game. We wiil never get the PAP to listen, bring them to the table or care about Singaporeans if they continue to monopolise parliament.

Also opposition parties need to control idiots like Yaw within their own party to understand that it exactly what PAP wants.

SDP

SDP is probably the most perfect weapon to use against the PAP because a vote for SDP hurts the PAP emotionally much more than a vote for any other opposition. If you truly despise the PAP, strike them hard by voting SDP, even if you despise the SDP equally. They won't take it lightly and that's the emotional reaction you want to elicit at the ballot box.

RP

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Excellent write-up bro.
Some general comments on SDP.

In my opinion, although they have always meant well and I have respect for their courage, tenacity, intellect and good intentions for SG, I fear that it will be immensely difficult for the current leaders to go further in terms of being an election force. A huge revamp of the party's leadership could be needed, because the current image and reputation have been somewhat tarnished (some might say unfairly with justification) in the typical voter's eyes.

Hence, despite having respect for CSJ and his SDP, I don't think he and his party as it currently is, can help to make the lives of ordinary singaporeans better. Their efforts as civil activists will help to raise alertness to issues and abuses, but it is elected representives making the current government accountable, which will achieve the ultimate objective.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think there has been discernible shift in the last few months with clear messaging coming across from parts of the SDP. I think the penny dropped recently and there has been change in approach. Hopefully this carries on.

To jw5 and all,

Correct me if I'm wrong, if one reads the manifesto of the SDP, getting elected into public office was never their primary objective.

To them, the election hustles are just a part of their bigger scheme of things.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Best rally speakers I've ever heard before...

1. Lee Kuan Yew (PAP)

2. Tang Liang Hong (ex-WP)

3. Francis Seow (ex-WP)

4. JB Jeyaretnam (ex-WP)

5. Low Thia Khiang (WP)

Note: I take English speeches into consideration only. If English, Chinese and Malay trilingualism is considered, Tang Liang Hong would be the all time best overall and Lim Chin Siong would have beaten everyone else in Chinese.

Worst rally speakers I've ever heard before...

1. Bryan Lim (ex-SDP)

2. Chia Ti Lik (ex-WP)

3. Perry Tong (WP)

4. Yaw Shin Leong (WP)

5. James Gomez (ex-WP)

Tan Kim Kim

Alfrescian
Loyal
However, after listening to the young members' speeches, I think they will have a long way to go in terms of giving powerful rally speeches that could create great impact. Well, WP's young brigade has similar problems as well but I guess SDP's youth perform much better. But it is a good start and I believe the youngsters have a good foundation.
You mean speeches like this?:eek::eek::eek:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kLQd14y8mTs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kLQd14y8mTs?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
VC is closer to WP in terms of ideology and link even thought the new chaps might not be aware. I will be surprised if he joins the SDP. Agree on the English educated. My sense is that he would not contest the elections.

Frankly the 3 names that surfaced are not politicians or fit the mould.

Scro,

Are you saying that VC could be that iconic figure? Methinks he can be an instant hit with the English-educated middle class. The Chinese educated heartlanders may be a diff bowl of fish, tho.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
perhaps its time to "rework" SDP and give them a "makeover". But who can do it? and how can that be done?

With the same set of people hanging around, it could be a case of changing the soup but not the medication.....no result at all.

小龙女 has gone to start USD and 杨过 has gone to start SF.

New series of episodes coming soon, to a TV near near you.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have to agree. One telling point is that in the CIA yearbook prior to the 2006 GE, Chiam and Chee were mentioned as opposition figures and Low was left out. Chee was also mentioned as the leader of the opposition.

It was perfect for the PAP, as it created the perception that parliament reflected a true democracy.

When I saw a briefing paper from a London business intelligence outfit and spoke to the author, he was stunned that Chee was not an MP.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Their best hope is an aliiance of some sort. The name is quite powerful.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Your statement is not correct on two counts:

Firstly, statistics.

In 2006 GE, SDP contested Bukit Panjang and Sembawang. With SDP's constituencies added in, the PAP obtained 748,130 out of a total of 1,123,273 valid votes, for a percentage of 66.60%.

Without SDP's constituencies, the PAP would have obtained 596,308 out of a total of 925,514 valid votes, for a percentage of 64.43%.

So your claim that without SDP, the PAP would have fallen below 60% is way off the mark. The PAP would only have been dented slightly over 1.57%.

Secondly, friends versus enemies.

I hope you are jesting when you say with friends like these who needs enemies. The PAP is the enemy, not any opposition party.

To call an opposition "enemy" just because they raised PAP's score by 1.57% is wrong. Let me repeat, the enemy is the PAP.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It such a waste that Chia and Cheo are keeping a low profile. Working hard without Singaporeans knowing it is is not going to cut it. At least get them to make some comments on current issues.

NSP has another more notable individual, Steve Chia, other than me. He may be staying low profile now, avoiding media exposures but he is no doubt very hardworking when it comes to party administration and groundwork. His political capital derives from his NCMP's experiences has served him well. If we manage to carry out a successful campaign by taking calculated risks and executing the right strategy and tactic, Steve Chia's team may also win as well. This is something many people overlook.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree as well. Tang was on politics for a long, long while.

Best rally speakers I've ever heard before...

1. Lee Kuan Yew (PAP)

2. Tang Liang Hong (ex-WP)

3. Francis Seow (ex-WP)

4. JB Jeyaretnam (ex-WP)

5. Low Thia Khiang (WP)
)

Maximilian Chua-Heng

Alfrescian
Loyal
Steve Chia, the ex-NCMP who, with consent, shot artistic photos of his maid?

He should keep a low profile.

It such a waste that Chia and Cheo are keeping a low profile. Working hard without Singaporeans knowing it is is not going to cut it. At least get them to make some comments on current issues.