• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

science found vegetables can learn so nothing is so great about human brains

antibastard

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.asianscientist.com/in-the-lab/plants-learn-like-animals-2014/

Plants Can Learn Like Animals, Study

Featured Research
January 20, 2014
Researchers in Australia have published evidence that plants can learn and remember just as well as it would be expected of animals.
FACEBOOK SHARE*EMAIL CONVERT TO PDF
Asian Scientist (Jan. 20, 2014) – After publishing a study about plants being able to ‘talk’ using sound, a researcher in Australia has now discovered that they can ‘learn’ as well.
While this may sound stranger than fiction, Dr Monica Gagliano has solid evidence to support her theories, the latest of which is published in Oecologia.
In the new article, Dr Gagliano and her team show that Mimosa pudica plants can learn and remember just as well as it would be expected of animals, but of course, they do it all without a brain.
Using the same experimental framework normally applied to test learnt behavioral responses and trade-offs in animals, they designed their experiments as if Mimosa was indeed an animal.
Dr Gagliano and her colleagues trained Mimosa plants’ short- and long-term memories under both high and low-light environments by repeatedly dropping water on them using a custom-designed apparatus (Mimosa folds its leaves in response to the drop).
In their experiments, Mimosa plants stopped closing their leaves when they learnt that the repeated disturbance had no real damaging consequence. Mimosa plants were able to acquire the learnt behavior in a matter of seconds and as in animals, learning was faster in a less favorable environment (i.e. low light).
Most remarkably, these plants were able to remember what had been learned for several weeks, even after environmental conditions had changed.
Although plants lack brains and neural tissues, they do possess a sophisticated calcium-based signaling network in their cells that is similar to animals’ memory processes.
While the researchers do not yet understand the biological basis for this learning mechanism, their findings may radically change the way we perceive plants and the boundaries between plants and animals. This includes our definition of learning (and hence memory) as a unique property of organisms with functioning nervous systems.
The article can be found at: Gagliano M et al. (2014) Experience Teaches Plants To Learn Faster And Forget Slower In Environments Where It Matters

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
jellyfish haven't got a brain and survived millions of years :o:o:o

so do many sbf members including red amoeba and myself. for me, i have billions of brainless organisms glued together by mucus and bile, and when they flow together in one smooth piece in a slow motion bowel movement, i feel shiok. :biggrin:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fuckard Tony Chat can go eat rocks and soil. Rocks and soil has more minerals and nutrients than plants.

http://www.asianscientist.com/in-the-lab/plants-learn-like-animals-2014/

Plants Can Learn Like Animals, Study

Although plants lack brains and neural tissues, they do possess a sophisticated calcium-based signaling network in their cells that is similar to animals’ memory processes.
While the researchers do not yet understand the biological basis for this learning mechanism, their findings may radically change the way we perceive plants and the boundaries between plants and animals. This includes our definition of learning (and hence memory) as a unique property of organisms with functioning nervous systems.
The article can be found at: Gagliano M et al. (2014) Experience Teaches Plants To Learn Faster And Forget Slower In Environments Where It Matters

antibastard

Alfrescian
Loyal
so do many sbf members including red amoeba and myself. for me, i have billions of brainless organisms glued together by mucus and bile, and when they flow together in one smooth piece in a slow motion bowel movement, i feel shiok. :biggrin:

i hv no interest about Tony xxxx or who thinks who is who

My point is clearly facture that Humans wrongly assuming their own superiority n misjustifying their endless greedy foolish exploitation of all they can on planet earth, is more foolish than jelly fish n digging own graves.

They polluted n ruined planet fatally for all that are living on the planet, n exhausting resources to their own self-extinction.

No other forms of lives on earth w be as stupid as man.

antibastard

Alfrescian
Loyal
With this message .... Fuck you, tonychat :oIo:

i hv no interest about Tony xxxx or who thinks who is who

My point is clearly facture that Humans wrongly assuming their own superiority n misjustifying their endless greedy foolish exploitation of all they can on planet earth, is more foolish than jelly fish n digging own graves.

They polluted n ruined planet fatally for all that are living on the planet, n exhausting resources to their own self-extinction.

No other forms of lives on earth w be as stupid as man.