• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Scathing Book!!! - Recently released

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
She apparently was inspired by the performance of the old man at International Bar Association Conference held in Singapore in 2007. Most of us recall the event because of Chee Soon Juan sideshow followed by Sylvia Lim follow-up remarks to the siedshow. What was overshadowed was was that old man delivered the keynote address and during the q & a session was asked about Singapore "problematic" stand on the rule of law. The audience burst out with laugher at his answer. They laughed at the incredulity of the answer or did they laugh at how prepared he was in immediately flashing out a whole range of international indicators and endorsement of Singapore's legal system.

Possibly the best analogy would be a description of a known pedophile who at his sentencing provides a string of strong characters references, a resume of commendable achievements and a history of voluntary social services as mitigants. It is not lost to the general public that he is nevetheless a known pedophile.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spot on. Could not agree with you more. I do credit the old man for one thing - he always picks his battle. In this case he will pretend the book did not exist. And with MSM/SPH brothel chain for what it is, will also have a memory loss.

...and gets away with it under the pretext of law research from a pulpit of an American stage

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sylvia Lim follow-up remarks to the siedshow.

Sylvia follow up remarks?....this surely must the mother of all the understatements.

Ain't she sitting side by side LKY and defending him ?

While the entire global law fraternity were laughing at the old man.

Not to mention,JBJ and Dr.Chee standing right against Sylvia Lim....physically.

If the IBA symposium fiasco by the old man can rile a domesticated lady such as Ms Rajah to write such a book.Why was Sylvia Lim on LKY side?.....and yet,Sylvia is also the WP chairman who has the only opposition MPs in our Parliament ?!!!!!!

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Authoritarian Rule of Law by Jothie Rajah -2012 . I am sure this is available via ebook.

This is an usual book in the sense that it approached this subject at a different angle. It takes to task the old man in the main, Parliament, AG, the Courts, with extensive research and solid and compelling examples. It covers the decimation of the Barisan, events covering Marshall, Law Society, the Marxists Conspiracy, Fay, defamation lawnsuits, and many others. In particular it covered one man and how he manipulated parliament, the courts and his own ministers. Most interesting is the actual body of work which focuses on enacted laws which help destroy competitors and kept the old man and the PAP in power.

Beware - it is tortuous reading as its written as an academic legal work which I felt contained unnecessarily high technical language. I suspect that the author needed to get the message thru without facing contempt of court charges. The use of the word "statist" as opposed to "compliant" in regard to the courts is quite telling.

As old man is the main actor in this book, I am sure he wishednhe was dead. Luckily Barker died as his role in the Select Committee is quite damming.

Wait till you figure out where the author sit in regards to certain individuals and society at large.

Thanks for sharing. We need more such books and revelations. We must not let the pap decide what we should know. Knowledge is power and sets the people free!

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for sharing. We need more such books and revelations. We must not let the pap decide what we should know. Knowledge is power and sets the people free!

In my humble opinion,there is already enough of academia who had written enough books on the evil empire of LKY.

But who reads it?

What we really need is oppositions in our parliament who acts.Not WP who accepts LKY system and status quo.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In my humble opinion,there is already enough of academia who had written enough books on the evil empire of LKY.

But who reads it?

What we really need is oppositions in our parliament who acts.Not WP who accepts LKY system and status quo.

True...

But PAP's control is overwhelming. We need an all encompassing approach to circumvent pap's total control.

LKY would never have imagined that he will live to see this day when the PAP is the most hated in Singapore and is Singaporeans' public enemy No 1.

How the mighty and arrogant PAP have fallen! It's time the pap members do some reflection

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
True...

But PAP's control is overwhelming. We need an all encompassing approach to circumvent pap's total control.

LKY would never have imagined that he will live to see this day when the PAP is the most hated in Singapore and is Singaporeans' public enemy No 1.

Sorry Tracy,I think it's too naive to think LKY was/is not aware of his/PAP D-day.

He is very well aware of it.And he knew pretty well that all empires has a life span.In fact LKY was merely buying time from 1 election to another.Only that it worked beyond his imagination.

If you look very carefully,LKY through PAP governance is actually preparing for PAP to fold up.Hence saving his grandchildren and his legacy.FT policy is such a one.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro, i knew the Sylvia remarks will get your goat. You have been harping about this incident for years. I can't help wonder if there had been a bit of chemistry between the 2 of you and that had been a fall-out. So exactly is the history.

Sylvia follow up remarks?....this surely must the mother of all the understatements.

Ain't she sitting side by side LKY and defending him ?

While the entire global law fraternity were laughing at the old man.

Not to mention,JBJ and Dr.Chee standing right against Sylvia Lim....physically.

If the IBA symposium fiasco by the old man can rile a domesticated lady such as Ms Rajah to write such a book.Why was Sylvia Lim on LKY side?.....and yet,Sylvia is also the WP chairman who has the only opposition MPs in our Parliament ?!!!!!!

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
Just wish to add.

i often wondered why is LKY flooding Singapore with this much of foreigners this soon.Surely,it cannot be just for an economical edge.But when one look at the demography of our new citizens than something else dawn.

PRC are brought in en-mass because of ethnicity and race factor.But why N.Indians and Filipinos and even Burmese...than the religious factor kicks in.Societies that has serious problems with Muslims.And our immediate neighbors are indeed millions of Muslims.The Pinoys are extreme Catholics.N.Indians traditionally and culturally are more anti Muslims than S.Indians.And Buddhist Burmese are never friendly with their neighboring Muslim Bangladeshis.

In short,LKY wants his legacy of bogey man that we are surrounded by Muslims to live even after his death.

Because he know he is living on borrowed time.And after LKY ,PAP is gonna die too.The only way to ward off immediate attack on his legacy and immediate family is to leave a Singapore that is more or less exactly the same in 60s.

Hence LKY is simply recreating a Singapore fraught with racial and religious tensions.And also an opposition party like WP that does not dig too much into PAP past.Again buying enough time .

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Beg to disagree. This one is different. Firstly, Jothie Rajah has the gravitas and she has done quite a surgical masterstroke this time, taking him apart law by law, event by event. I dont recall any academic having done that without being deferential or leaving a big hole for him to wriggle out of. Jothie was shrewd enough to stick to a purely legal scrutiny so as to give her work a high degree of academic veneer that will be untouchable. It's like a judiciary review grandprix that was a long time in coming. Secondly, it is pitched at the international legal community with the American bar assoc as a launchpad. Something that Old Man will feel impotent about. He'll be daft to chase after her, as the blood is all over the dance floor. He's better off pretending it doesnt exist. If he touches it, it will blow up in his face.

Jothie, well done! Yr ex should have done that for you long ago instead of selling his soul to the Devil! salute!

But who reads it?

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe it is the work of GCT rather than LKY. Old Man himself did question why 6.5 million pop and ask the rationale for it. Of cos, collective responsibility compels him to stick with it, but really GCT was the bastard.

Just wish to add.

i often wondered why is LKY flooding Singapore with this much of foreigners this soon.Surely,it cannot be just for an economical edge.But when one look at the demography of our new citizens than something else dawn.

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe it is the work of GCT rather than LKY. Old Man himself did question why 6.5 million pop and ask the rationale for it. Of cos, collective responsibility compels him to stick with it, but really GCT was the bastard.

Perhaps ,perhaps not.But i don't think GCT was/is much of a man.GCT and TCH fits the same profile.

Now,the 6.5 millions or whatever the number is purely economical.Because it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that Singapore itself has nothing to sell except it's land.And SG government owns most of it.The more the people per sq m2 the greater the price of the land.Simple arithmatic.Only the infrastructures can take the strain or not was the issue.

But after the financial crisis,my guesstimate is that either PAP bankrupted our reserves or tied up in assets that cannot be liquidated.Hence the option of raising liquidity in quickie time rested on land sales.Not to mention the pyramid effect of other commodities consumed by increasing the population such as phone-bills,PUB,food and etc.

In creasing the population was an economical one but the demography is a political one.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am going by what's reported and crossing the dots and reading between lines. My guess is this:

It is a valid argument that our TFR total fertility ratio is falling, and will become very acute in the next 2 decades and that we need replacments of similar Chinese and Indian types to make up for the declining vitality etc. The continuing debate and disagreement is how many do we need, per year etc. I would argue that when Old Man handed the torch to GCT, he had in mind a gradual but steady replacement rate and if he were still in charge, probably would have the foresight to ensure that the govt across the board was ready for it, and not allowed it to be swamped.

However, after GCT took over, the global financial crisis shook the world and fearing the inevitable downturn, GCT's govt brought the plan forward and ramped up the numbers ostensibly to my guess to create a GDP buffer. GCT govt failed to plan for the busting of infrastructures, the housing shortfall, and the displacement of locals from jobs.

As usual, Old Man has dissed them and defended them at his whim and fancy, depending on who asked.

Perhaps ,perhaps not.But i don't think GCT was/is much of a man.GCT and TCH fits the same profile.

Now,the 6.5 millions or whatever the number is purely economical.Because it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that Singapore itself has nothing to sell except it's land.And SG government owns most of it.The more the people per sq m2 the greater the price of the land.Simple arithmatic.Only the infrastructures can take the strain or not was the issue.

But after the financial crisis,my guesstimate is that either PAP bankrupted our reserves or tied up in assets that cannot be liquidated.Hence the option of raising liquidity in quickie time rested on land sales.Not to mention the pyramid effect of other commodities consumed by increasing the population such as phone-bills,PUB,food and etc.

In creasing the population was an economical one but the demography is a political one.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is no ordinary book. This is heavily researched and data painstakingly collected. For example she went thru every Parliamentary Select Committee Hearings since indpendence. In the Select Committee Hearing which famously involved Francis Seow and Teo Soh Lung, she actually counted the number of questions old man asked which ran past a thousand and worked out that he asked 70% of the questions indicating that he monopolised the session, showing the actual select committee as completely impotent and chair who happened to be Barker as incompetent and incapable who lost control at the word go. She also points out how he classifies NUS Law degrees as inferior in his exchange with Lim Chor Pee.

It also shows how a law enacted for one reason ended up as bear trap for Singapore in the Michael Fay case when the intention was for a different purpose.

She also shows how after a political incident where the Govt is caught off guard, mysteriously the antagonists eventually end up in detention under various guises and in a separate incidents as in the 4 law council members in Seow's committee, followed by changes in law specific to the event.

Some of it sad reading on how an Appeal Court too the wrong path on the basis of a new law which had yet to go thru parliament but which the prosecution put forward. It shows how a 15 year old child ended up being caned. And the country is now suffering from a memory loss.

I also note that she also carefully left out the names of court officials and civil servants who made the wrong decisions or party to an error. I suspect she realised that they were bullied by old man. For instance, she did not mention Barker at all. I thought it was curious.

But who reads it?

Last edited:

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am going by what's reported and crossing the dots and reading between lines. My guess is this:

It is a valid argument that our TFR total fertility ratio is falling, and will become very acute in the next 2 decades and that we need replacments of similar Chinese and Indian types to make up for the declining vitality etc.

However, after GCT took over, the global financial crisis shook the world and fearing the inevitable downturn, GCT's govt brought the plan forward and ramped up the numbers ostensibly to my guess to create a GDP buffer. GCT govt failed to plan for the busting of infrastructures, the housing shortfall, and the displacement of locals from jobs.

As usual, Old Man has dissed them and defended them at his whim and fancy, depending on who asked.

I had shown and demonstrated very clearly with statistics and population graphs in another thread (Crumbling of Singapore?)
here in this forum--over 50 years;that notwithstanding TFR that SG population was steadily and continuously increasing.And that it was the % of ethnic Chinese that were increasing and Malays constantly and continuously decreasing.Obviously foreigners must have been imported over 50 yrs into Singapore.Thus exploding the PAP spin.

But what took us by shocking surprise was the numbers of foreigners in the past 5 years and oddity of the likes Filipinos and N.Indians as our citizens...so much so that local jobs and education were at stack.

Surely,this cannot account for the sake of 1 man(GCT)...or even LKY.It must have been a collective decision out of desperation.Or SG faced collapse like Greece and etc.

My bet is that our reserves were locked in losing assets if liquidated.Hence the real chink is the liquidity crunch.I know how strange this may sound to you or others since SG banking had thrived on excess liquidity this far.But all PAP economy in the past 5 or more years was focus on raising liquidity.No real investment on real infrastructures that yields after 5 or 10 years.Perhaps,that was the real reason our MRT infrastructures were left without any care while focusing on current revenues.

My bet is that PAP is hiding the extend of our real loss in the financial crisis while trying to buy time with liquidity.

Last edited:

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sorry Tracy,I think it's too naive to think LKY was/is not aware of his/PAP D-day.

He is very well aware of it.And he knew pretty well that all empires has a life span.In fact LKY was merely buying time from 1 election to another.Only that it worked beyond his imagination.

If you look very carefully,LKY through PAP governance is actually preparing for PAP to fold up.Hence saving his grandchildren and his legacy.FT policy is such a one.

I dont read LKY's mind. But I know how egoistic dictators are. They think they are infallible and are always right. Did Saddam know that he would be defeated? Did Gaddhafi feel that he was wrong? Did Marcos know that the people were so frustrated and against him? Did Suharto foresee that he would be ousted?

And you proclaim that LKY knew that the pap would be most hated? You give him too much credit.

On my part, I think that no one in the pap would have anticipated 5 years ago the hatred the pap suffers now.

Saddam, Gadhaffi, Marcos and Suharto died in shame. Let's see how pap ends!

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On my part, I think that no one in the pap would have anticipated 5 years ago the hatred the pap suffers now.

Saddam, Gadhaffi, Marcos and Suharto died in shame. Let's see how pap ends!
PAP and LKY will do just fine........he will be feted by the 60.1% machiam like Kim ll Sung.....

So what if they are hated? Ball-less sinkies dun dare do shit. They can always count on the 60.1%

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP and LKY will do just fine........he will be feted by the 60.1% machiam like Kim ll Sung.....

So what if they are hated? Ball-less sinkies dun dare do shit. They can always count on the 60.1%

I am not as optimistic for the pap as you.

Just look at PE 2011 and BE Hougang 2012.

The tide is changing. PAP ignores the rising tide at its own peril. The pap may face a tsunami at the next GE!

My hope is that pap sees the political landscape as you do!

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I am not as optimistic for the pap as you.

Just look at PE 2011 and BE Hougang 2012.

The tide is changing. PAP ignores the rising tide at its own peril. The pap may face a tsunami at the next GE!

My hope is that pap sees the political landscape as you do!

Let's make this clear.

Can it really be Springtime in Singapore?
I doubt so, it is still dreary wintery in STAKEHOLDER Singapore.
Thank to UK new Labour Research Team for the label, STAKEHOLDER.

As long as there is that STAKE, the vested interest will just want to warn and not threaten.
But if it is a Madoff STAKE, no guarantee that winter will not turn to spring.

Hougang Spring is a false dawn. Because Hougang has always been spring.
As for the STAKE, there are many ways to play with stake. It is like magic. No one know whether it is still there or not. It is a state secret.

Last edited:

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
You already know that Yong Pung How was Old Man's best man right?

I also note that she also carefully left out the names of court officials and civil servants who made the wrong decisions or party to an error. I suspect she realised that they were bullied by old man. For instance, she did not mention Barker at all. I thought it was curious.