• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Saw the picture of Ms.Ho Peng, Dorector- General of Education. Now.........

Debonerman

Alfrescian
Loyal
The resemblance to the esteemed 26 billion dollar international stock market whiz is spine tingling! I bet this lady Ms.Ho Peng got to be elevated into this position strictly on her own merit!

See? I am starting to toe the line. Me no want no lawyer letter!:o

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This was more than 30 years ago but I do recall the following about her. She wasn't a bad teacher in that she was clear and organized. There was also a measure of enthusiasm about her. On the flipside, she didn't exude much imagination or a great deal of flexibility, and she taught us GP.

bro,

in your opinion, was she a good teacher?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like she was a contemporary of Catherine Lim in the same JC. CL was highly creative and imaginative as I understand.

This was more than 30 years ago but I do recall the following about her. She wasn't a bad teacher in that she was clear and organized. There was also a measure of enthusiasm about her. On the flipside, she didn't exude much imagination or a great deal of flexibility, and she taught us GP.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, CL preceded HP for my class. CL's classes were very enjoyable but less organized. CL opened our minds to many possibilities but didn't always seem to follow any perceivable scheme. Indeed, she often came to class without any notes and held court for two periods.

Truth be told, both ladies succeeded with us only because we were quite motivated and had already attained a certain command of English. If they taught GP the same way to many of today's JC students, they would be held to account for their poor grades.

Looks like she was a contemporary of Catherine Lim in the same JC. CL was highly creative and imaginative as I understand.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks bro. Share your views about today's students. Its is something that Prof Tan Tai Yong flagged nearly 15 years ago as his colleagues were seeing it first hand.

Looks Like there was a concentration of talent in one tiny piece of geopgraphy. Novelist Christine Lim Suchen, latter day activist of sorts Joan Hon were in the same space.

Looks like your cohort was the end of the game.

Yes, CL preceded HP for my class. CL's classes were very enjoyable but less organized. CL opened our minds to many possibilities but didn't always seem to follow any perceivable scheme. Indeed, she often came to class without any notes and held court for two periods.

Truth be told, both ladies succeeded with us only because we were quite motivated and had already attained a certain command of English. If they taught GP the same way to many of today's JC students, they would be held to account for their poor grades.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If I gave the impression that we were better than students today, that wasn't my intention. (Sorry if this sounds like a PAPzi clarification.) It was just that we were differently motivated then, and we had more time, to think, to wonder and possibly to skive. Out of that, we saw things that were not taught in the books. We also had time to feel the effects of our words when we write - hence our greater facility with English.

Students today (the better ones, at least) are more goal oriented, and have far less time to enjoy the process of attaining the goals. At least a part of this is, I honestly believe, because the PAPzi education system has been designed to keep people from thinking despite all claims to the contrary. They were no better in my time, but far less efficient in ensuring compliance.

I don't know who will do better - that is really for history to judge.

And yes, I know both the other two ladies, too. But Joan taught me in secondary school, not JC.

Thanks bro. Share your views about today's students. Its is something that Prof Tan Tai Yong flagged nearly 15 years ago as his colleagues were seeing it first hand.

Looks Like there was a concentration of talent in one tiny piece of geopgraphy. Novelist Christine Lim Suchen, latter day activist of sorts Joan Hon were in the same space.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
My god! Talk about coincidence, what are the odds of all 4 titans teaching you.

I am with you. The authorities were also aware as feedback from the NUS was consistent. The problem was even more acute in Hwa Chong which was taking in students from SAP schools. The answers were near identical as it came from models and 10 year series. MOE introduced Humanities for Hwa Chong and brought in Native speakers from UK to teach GP, English and literature to bring in a lot more creativity.

Ironical that the most notable product of the Humanities programme is Annabel Chong.

Goal oriented approach is safe when places for scholarships and medicine are so competitive. I suppose we can't blame them but these attributes become ingrained and nurtured values and society become poorer for it. In a nutshell, in the old days choice of subjects were based on interest and aptitude. Now it is opportunity costs and inside track.

The classic product of this generation is Gene Yeo, son of Philip Yeo, civil service fashionista. He did what father thought was the new frontier. Just see what he has accumulated over the years. You can do a timeline of where Singapore is focusing based on his course of study and graduation.

If I gave the impression that we were better than students today, that wasn't my intention. (Sorry if this sounds like a PAPzi clarification.) It was just that we were differently motivated then, and we had more time, to think, to wonder and possibly to skive. Out of that, we saw things that were not taught in the books. We also had time to feel the effects of our words when we write - hence our greater facility with English.

Students today (the better ones, at least) are more goal oriented, and have far less time to enjoy the process of attaining the goals. At least a part of this is, I honestly believe, because the PAPzi education system has been designed to keep people from thinking despite all claims to the contrary. They were no better in my time, but far less efficient in ensuring compliance.

I don't know who will do better - that is really for history to judge.

And yes, I know both the other two ladies, too. But Joan taught me in secondary school, not JC.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My god! Talk about coincidence, what are the odds of all 4 titans teaching you.

The lecture-tutorial approach meant we were exposed to a wide range of teachers. Christine never tutored me but I attended her lectures and was also supervised by her at camps, etc. I had a good time, and learned much. Can't complain.

marjojohn

Alfrescian
Loyal

Thought she's with P & R a landscape officer many yrs ago since when became an educator??

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
not quite true lah...there was a brilliant english chap who was brought into teach in the promsho scheme at both hwa chong n rjc...produced quite afew high fliers in various field who r now ard the globe n also in sin...eg tan su shan is one...

I am with you. The authorities were also aware as feedback from the NUS was consistent. The problem was even more acute in Hwa Chong which was taking in students from SAP schools. The answers were near identical as it came from models and 10 year series. MOE introduced Humanities for Hwa Chong and brought in Native speakers from UK to teach GP, English and literature to bring in a lot more creativity.

Ironical that the most notable product of the Humanities programme is Annabel Chong.