• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sam Leong's band of brothers - cyclists

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

It is important
You are a considerate cyclist compared to those who think nothing of riding from 7:00 - 9:30 am on weekdays when parents are sending their children to school or heading to work. I notice them cycling 2 abreast or in convoys along the bus lanes, causing traffic jams as these buses have to overtake the cyclists.

Cyclists don't cause traffic jams. It's cars, buses and trucks that cause traffic jams.

When traffic jams occur cyclists are not affected.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is important
Cyclists don't cause traffic jams. It's cars, buses and trucks that cause traffic jams.
As both a weekday car driver and a weekend cyclist, I have my pet peeves against both road users. I have witnessed too many cyclists on the road during weekday peak morning hours. I have seen public buses forced to swerve out of designated bus lanes to avoid cyclists travelling 2 abreast or in groups. This causes other vehicles to stop dead in their tracks on the outer lanes. On weekends, I cycle really early in the morning from 5 am to 7 am where I will gather at a hawker centre with a few buddies for a hearty breakfast. Even when I make my way home after 8 am, I will cycle on the left most lane which is not a bus lane on weekends. I also won't cycle 2 abreast or in a convoy. In fact, I mostly cycle on park connectors because I am wary of motorised vehicles on our roads.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
As both a weekday car driver and a weekend cyclist, I have my pet peeves against both road users. I have witnessed too many cyclists on the road during weekday peak morning hours. I have seen public buses forced to swerve out of designated bus lanes to avoid cyclists travelling 2 abreast or in groups. This causes other vehicles to stop dead in their tracks on the outer lanes. On weekends, I cycle really early in the morning from 5 am to 7 am where I will gather at a hawker centre with a few buddies for a hearty breakfast. Even when I make my way home after 8 am, I will cycle on the left most lane which is not a bus lane on weekends. I also won't cycle 2 abreast or in a convoy. In fact, I mostly cycle on park connectors because I am wary of motorised vehicles on our roads.

Unless the cycling groups are really unfit they should be cruising at 35kph which is faster than the average speed of the traffic.

In Auckland where I cycle the buses do not overtake cycling groups they just go with the flow. The bus drivers know that if they overtake the cyclists all that will happen is the group will catch up and overtake the buses at the next traffic light.

The problem with Singapore motorists is that they are way too impatient.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Unless the cycling groups are really unfit they should be cruising at 35kph which is faster than the average speed of the traffic.
In Auckland where I cycle the buses do not overtake cycling groups they just go with the flow. The bus drivers know that if they overtake the cyclists all that will happen is the group will catch up and overtake the buses at the next traffic light.
I can't remember how wide the roads are in Auckland since I last visited while I was in secondary school. The problem in S'pore is that our roads are really narrow, so the cyclists riding 2 abreast and chatting to each other (I notice this among Caucasians) during peak morning rush hour are definitely not riding at 35 kph. The buses are forced to overtake and hold up traffic while bus lanes are in operation.

Splendicker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please note that bus drivers KPI is on the road so don’t expect they have to be patient before those sickening cyclists.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal

Sinkie drivers cruise at 100kph. Way too fast

Leongsam

Admin
Asset

The driver will probably end up in jail and it serves him right for adopting such a callous attitude towards the safety of other road users. I doubt if he is even aware that the cyclist has the right of way even if the light has turned green in favor of the driver.

These are the sort of drivers that need to be removed from the streets permanently.

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/RTA1961-R24?DocDate=19920325&ProvIds=pr7-#pr7-

Screenshot 2023-10-09 at 6.38.19 PM.png

Last edited:

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Cyclists should give priority to the safety of other footpath users​

JAN 11, 2024

I refer to the letter by a leisure cyclist who was fined $300 for exceeding the 10kmh speed limit, and said that not many people are aware of the rule (Educate the public on penalty for cyclists who exceed speed limit, Jan 8).
Ignorance of the law is no excuse. For instance, cyclists caught not wearing a helmet while riding on the road can be fined up to $1,000 and/or jailed up to three months for the first offence.
Cyclists should act responsibly when cycling on footpaths by reducing their speed, without the need to be reminded with speed-limit signs or electronic speed indicators.
They should also remember that pedestrians have the right of way on footpaths, and to prioritise the safety of other users.
I have seen many cyclists ignore the zebra crossing with red and white strips at the East Coast Park cycling track, and they do not stop or slow down for pedestrians to cross.
Cyclists should keep in mind that sharing the footpaths with other people is a privilege and not a right, and make sure that they always keep to a safe cycling speed.

Harry Ong Heng Poh

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cyclist who reported driver for using his mobile phone accused of breaking the law
Dave Clifton has been charged with riding a cycle on a road without due care and attention
0 seconds of 0 seconds
5 hours ago
A cyclist who reported a driver for using his mobile phone at the wheel has found himself being accused of breaking the law.

Dave Clifton, 56, spotted a Range Rover driver holding a phone handset while he was cycling through Belgravia, and he captured the incident on his helmet camera.

But after submitting the video clip to police, they claimed the cyclist had been riding on the wrong side of the road, and suggested that he “could pose a danger to other road users”.

Mr Clifton, from south-west London, has been charged with riding a cycle on a road without due care and attention. He intends to fight the claim at a trial next month.

“It is ludicrous. I don’t know if it is malicious or incompetence,” he told the Standard, branding the case against him “petty”.

The only evidence in the case is Mr Clifton’s own video footage, and he insists it shows he was not on the wrong side of the road.

In the video, Mr Clifton is riding along Pont Street in Belgravia at just after 1.30pm on August 22 last year when he spots the Range Rover driving in the opposite direction. The cyclist then turns around to capture the driver using his mobile phone while at the wheel.

Mr Clifton was cycling through Belgravia when he noticed the driver
Dave Clifton
Natasha Springford, a Met police staff member in the traffic division, claims the cyclist is “in the middle of the road” and is then “very close to the Range Rover on the opposite side of the road whilst a motorcyclist is oncoming with a passenger”.

She continues: “You can see the cyclist cycling towards the oncoming motorbike that is filtering between traffic,” and then suggests the motorbike has to “ride in between the cyclist that is very close and the Range Rover”.