• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Sam: $260B is an ENORMOUS Amount to LOSE

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Questions about Temasek, GIC losses
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I AM glad about the increased transparency shown in revealing Temasek Holdings' performance, though I am disappointed that the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation's (GIC) performance was not discussed in yesterday's report, 'Temasek portfolio down 31%'.
Naturally, increased transparency will attract criticism when there are losses, but lack of transparency will draw different criticisms. However, I am somewhat bemused by comments that 'Temasek and GIC have not performed as badly as other market indexes'.
Yes, when the financial markets are weak, everyone expects to lose money, and one measure of performance is 'who loses less'.
But it is not the only measure. We must also be certain that we are using the right benchmarks for comparison.
I am not sure comparisons with the Morgan Stanley Capital International Index, for example, are appropriate or even relevant.
Let us also be sure we are not merely content with patting ourselves on the back for losing less money, percentage-wise, than some index that may or may not be relevant.
As with most other commercially run corporations, I would like answers to questions such as:
What are Temasek and GIC doing to evaluate how these losses occurred?
Are there any lessons that have been learnt from these losses?
Could any of these losses have been avoided?
Are there any changes that need to be made to ensure Temasek and GIC are better prepared in future?
Let us make sure the message to Temasek and GIC is holistic, and not one that says only, 'Well done for losing less money', because $58 billion is an enormous amount to lose.
Samuel Owen

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=heading>Latest comments</TD></TR><TR><TD id=messageDisplayRegion width="100%"><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE class=Post style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>This is a real scandal. HC reports to her husband. "Emptytalk" says he wont blame HC for the losses. Why not? Who are we supposed to blame? There are very few companies in this world, save some family businesses, where the wife reports to the husband. We condoned this years ago, as PM Goh explained away our worries and questions, and as with everything else, we accepted his explanation because we trusted him. Now because of this lack of accountability, we lost 58B of our money. We have only ourselves to blame.....you always deserve the govt you voted in......allow me to put some light on the difference between million and billion: 1 million seconds is about 12 days....1 billion seconds is about 33 years. think in terms of time, then it helps in getting some perspective in terms of the magnitude of our loss.

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: tomwang63 at Thu Feb 12 10:10:16 SGT 2009

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE class=AlternatePost style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Not only transparency in reporting performance of Temasek and GIC but also the appointment of their CEOs. Is HC the person fit for the job of CEO? I won't blame her for the losses caused by turmoil in financial market but the mess of buying political sensitive assets in Thailand and Indonesia that eventually had to be coughed out at a loss.

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: emptytalk at Thu Feb 12 09:56:07 SGT 2009

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE class=Post style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>critical_lee

Who Are They Answerable and Accountable To?

President or PM?

If President.... does he got guts?

If PM..... dare to scold big daddy or wife?

So for the benefit of all Sgans, opposition MP or some kind NMP should bring this issue up in the nx Parliament sitting as it INvOLVED LOSING SO MUCH OF OUR $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: NoodleWon at Thu Feb 12 09:52:14 SGT 2009

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left><TABLE class=AlternatePost style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>U wanna know what $58 billion of OUR money is?
Well, every Singaporean would have benefitted from a hongbao of $350,000 each. That way, no recession, no job losses.
But ours is not to reason why!
One can dream....though.

</TD></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" align=left>Posted by: sharlynrj at Thu Feb 12 09:50:53 SGT 2009

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

R4g3

Alfrescian
Loyal
U wanna know what $58 billion of OUR money is?
Well, every Singaporean would have benefitted from a hongbao of $350,000 each. That way, no recession, no job losses.
But ours is not to reason why!
One can dream....though.

Posted by: sharlynrj at Thu Feb 12 09:50:53 SGT 2009

i dont think it is that much as $350,000 each, not even each family. Probably around 20k each but still a big hong bao.

ahleebabasingaporethief

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Questions about Temasek, GIC losses
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I AM glad about the increased transparency shown in revealing Temasek Holdings' performance, though I am disappointed that the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation's (GIC) performance was not discussed in yesterday's report, 'Temasek portfolio down 31%'.
Naturally, increased transparency will attract criticism when there are losses, but lack of transparency will draw different criticisms. However, I am somewhat bemused by comments that 'Temasek and GIC have not performed as badly as other market indexes'.
Yes, when the financial markets are weak, everyone expects to lose money, and one measure of performance is 'who loses less'.
But it is not the only measure. We must also be certain that we are using the right benchmarks for comparison.
I am not sure comparisons with the Morgan Stanley Capital International Index, for example, are appropriate or even relevant.
Let us also be sure we are not merely content with patting ourselves on the back for losing less money, percentage-wise, than some index that may or may not be relevant.
As with most other commercially run corporations, I would like answers to questions such as:
What are Temasek and GIC doing to evaluate how these losses occurred?
Are there any lessons that have been learnt from these losses?
Could any of these losses have been avoided?
Are there any changes that need to be made to ensure Temasek and GIC are better prepared in future?
Let us make sure the message to Temasek and GIC is holistic, and not one that says only, 'Well done for losing less money', because $58 billion is an enormous amount to lose.
Samuel Owen

This writer is right.

The Morgan Stanley Index which to all seasoned financial players know is just an IKAN BILIS index.

Why are we now comparing to ikan bilis when all along we were "first world, world class, lumber 1 in this and that? Now ikan bilis? I think its plain stupidity or they think S'poreans are real stupid. 66.6% are.

GIC results leh? Outside articles in foreign newspapers; example The Nation (Bangkok) put the losses at over $200 b. Which is right?

iamelite

Alfrescian
Loyal
People.. please put things in proportion..
we are talking about a 30% paper loss in portfolio value.
Wait till it is REALISED LOSS...

Let's Move on .. Go go ..Shoo shoo..

joejoemcz

Alfrescian
Loyal
They did make money in the past. So what if they lose this time? Whether they lose or make money, we still cannot touch those taxpayers money right?