• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ryan Giggs appointed player-coach at Manchester United

FernandoTorres

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Ryan Giggs appointed player-coach at Manchester United

• 39-year-old takes first step towards management
• Phil Neville also set to join Old Trafford staff

Press Association
The Guardian, Thursday 4 July 2013 11.00 BST

Ryan-Giggs-008.jpg

Ryan Giggs has been appointed player-coach by Manchester United. Photograph: John Peters/Man Utd via Getty Images

Ryan Giggs has been appointed as a player-coach at Manchester United with immediate effect, the club have confirmed.

Often linked with the United manager's job at some point in the future, the 39-year-old has been taking his coaching badges and is due to earn the Uefa Pro Licence next summer. He signed a new one-year deal in March and will combine playing with his new duties.

"It's no secret that I have been taking my qualifications and I see this as the first step in my future career," said Giggs. "I'm really looking forward to working alongside David Moyes and the team."

Moyes said: "I'm delighted that Ryan has accepted the chance to become player coach. His success and ability to adapt his game over a number of years gives him an unrivalled perspective on the modern game. His career is an example to any aspiring young player and I'm sure that both he and the players will benefit from his new role."

Giggs, who won a record 13th Premier League title last season, will be an invaluable aid to Moyes as he learns the ropes, with the Scot due to face the media alongside skipper Nemanja Vidic on Friday afternoon.

Having confirmed Steve Round, Chris Woods and Jimmy Lumsden were following him from Everton, concern had been expressed about the lack of United experience in Moyes' backroom team following his appointment as Sir Alex Ferguson's successor.

Phil Neville's arrival at the Aon Training Complex on Thursday morning went some way to allaying those concerns.