• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Running Dog: PAPee Can Turn Any SHIT into GOLD Woh!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cut the crap!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Aug 8, 2008
SINGAPORE 43: NATIONAL DAY LETTERS
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Lessons for tomorrow
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Mr See Leong Kit's letter, 'Singapore's success not about PAP or opposition' (July 31).
He wrote: 'Put simply, had the PAP governed Timbuktu in Africa, would the outcome have been similar?'
Why Timbuktu? Why not Sri Lanka?
Mr Lee Kuan Yew and his Cabinet aspired to emulate Ceylon, as Sri Lanka was called then. Ceylon was blessed with gems, water, tea, rubber, coconuts, an English-educated population, an efficient civil service and a respected judiciary.
Sri Lankan scholars taught abroad in emerging nations.
Mr Lalith Athulathmudali, vice-dean of the University of Singapore's law faculty, taught luminaries like Professor S. Jayakumar and Professor Tommy Koh.
He revealed to me, when I was filming a documentary, 'Ceylon Yesterday: Sri Lanka Today'', that Singaporeans have much to thank the People's Action Party (PAP) Government for.
He revealed what a forward-thinking prime minister Singapore had in Mr Lee Kuan Yew.
Mr Lee asked him to assess his two former students - Prof Jayakumar and Prof Koh, whom Mr Lee was considering for high political office.
He said our Government under Mr Lee, like a grand chessmaster, was always calculating forward carefully. We were lucky, he said, to have a clean government that worked for the the people, unlike Sri Lankan politicians.
So, what happened to Sri Lanka? Athulathmudali was killed by a terrorist bomber during his ambitious run to become president of Sri Lanka.
Similarly murdered were president Ranasinge Premadasa; Gamini Dissayanake, another presidential hopeful; and many others like foreign minister Lakshman Kadirgama, who was thought of as a future prime minister.
Talented but frustrated youth were killed in the ensuing political and ethnic chaos.
Instead of Timbuktu, were the PAP to govern well-endowed Ceylon, you may well imagine how Sri Lanka would have emerged. Singapore had nothing when the PAP took over: no infrastructure, no water, no rubber or tin; not even an educated population. When armed British forces withdrew unexpectedly, the tough decisions taken by the PAP slowly but surely transformed Singapore into what it is today.
As we celebrate our 43rd National Day tomorrow, we must count our blessings that we were born here or achieved permanent residence as more people aspire for a good life, with a continuing clean and efficient government.
There are many new problems ahead. We need the best to be in government and civil service to ensure more good years.
I never cease to thank my grandparents for settling down in Singapore.
Happy National Day! Ananda Perera

j0hnboy_sg

Alfrescian
Loyal
its shit. LKY would have promoted Sinhalese majority dominace just like Chinese dominance in Singapore. The result would be the same as today. A civil war with the likelihoon that LKY gets assasinated while running for re-election. After all, you think in Sri Lanka, he has got gurkha contingent to protect him?

panama

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't think any Singaporean gives a hoot about Sri Lanka!

It's still neh neh country after all.

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
sgp can make it because there is a ready pool of chinese merchants and coolies to grow the economy... no racial intent here.... and all LeeKY had to do is use this pool to achieve his political ambition...

really... nothing great about it if only one knows the true background of this former "fishing village"

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cut the crap!

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Mr See Leong Kit's letter, 'Singapore's success not about PAP or opposition' (July 31).
Singapore had nothing when the PAP took over: no infrastructure, no water, no rubber or tin; not even an educated population.
I never cease to thank my grandparents for settling down in Singapore.
Happy National Day! Ananda Perera
Ananda Perera is twisting history to a ridiculous level.

What do you think the British were doing from 1819 if they were not building infrastructure, Who built the port, the railway lines, the waterworks from Johor, the reservoirs, the roads, city hall, national museum. Who gave scholarship to Barker and Kwa Gek Choo. Who set up Raffles Institutions. Did Rubber help Lee Kong Chian? Where did he think Somerset Maugham, Conrad and Einsten stayed while they visited Singapore prior to PAP - in a hut with no running water. What do think out currentr legal system is based.

Looks like Ananda's grandparents and parents did not educate this idiot except in a PAP Kindergarden.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Ananda Perera is twisting history to a ridiculous level.

What do you think the British were doing from 1819 if they were not building infrastructure, Who built the port, the railway lines, the waterworks from Johor, the reservoirs, the roads, city hall, national museum. Who gave scholarship to Barker and Kwa Gek Choo. Who set up Raffles Institutions. Did Rubber help Lee Kong Chian? Where did he think Somerset Maugham, Conrad and Einsten stayed while they visited Singapore prior to PAP - in a hut with no running water. What do think out currentr legal system is based.

Looks like Ananda's grandparents and parents did not educate this idiot except in a PAP Kindergarden.

i always thought that we need to examine a piece of material from all points of perspective and we couldn't even truly understand what it is. the point is: relativity always had a hand in this game, and it takes courage and conviction to show what one is made of. for Ananda, i thank him for making my day. bwahaha... :biggrin:

athenian

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone will suggest that apart from Gekha maybe we need to employ foreign government and foreign armed forces to stimulate the economy?