• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RTS rapid transit system linking Johor and Singapore (MASTEEL)

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe R&F already has inside info that that the RTS has been agreed for underground link with SG. So it wont affect them, and in fact, they are set to super huat..... All remains to be seen, and will be unveiled at this year end.

xixxix

Alfrescian
Loyal
I suspect Peter Lim must be damned pissed off by the Sultan now because the profitability of his Vantage Bay will suffer and be greatly reduced by the competition from the R&F's development.[/
It will not cannabalise but rather complement vintage bay as the whole coastline will be more vibrant and attract even more investors. The more the merrier.

Hm.... what makes you so confident that it will not become ghost town?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will not cannabalise but rather complement vintage bay as the whole coastline will be more vibrant and attract even more investors. The more the merrier.
Your concept will only work if there will be demand and to have those occupants, there must be sufficient jobs with the matching skills available to the people in JB. At the rate the number of new condos are coming up, I'm rather pessimistic about this.

To make things worse, if there will be an oversupply of rental units in JB, it will surely lead to a decline in rental rate also for those private and HDB apartments in Woodlands/Marsiling areas and if given a choice, even those SPRs working in Singapore would rather pay just a little more to rent in Woodlands/Marsiling than in JB in return for more family time for themselves by avoiding the congestion at the immigration everyday.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Maybe R&F already has inside info that that the RTS has been agreed for underground link with SG. So it wont affect them, and in fact, they are set to super huat..... All remains to be seen, and will be unveiled at this year end.
Heard that the existing Woodlands Centre (Block 6A) will be demolished next year.

xixxix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your concept will only work if there will be demand and to have those occupants, there must be sufficient jobs with the matching skills available to the people in JB. At the rate the number of new condos are coming up, I'm rather pessimistic about this.

To make things worse, if there will be an oversupply of rental units in JB, it will surely lead to a decline in rental rate also for those private and HDB apartments in Woodlands/Marsiling areas and if given a choice, even those SPRs working in Singapore would rather pay just a little more to rent in Woodlands/Marsiling than in JB in return for more family time for themselves by avoiding the congestion at the immigration everyday.

I concur. Also, the units on sale are not much larger than Singapore, especially compared with those in the Woodlands region. I wonder why R&F condos will be attractive compared with the Malaysia projects such as Astaka or the landed ones?

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
Heard that the existing Woodlands Centre (Block 6A) will be demolished next year.

Dun think it's related because the SG station has been confirmed at Republic Poly, and "progress is dependent on MY side" as Mr Lui stuck you has said. .

I believe the demolition is linked to an eventual North Coast Line which will link Woodlands Centre, Republic Poly, Sembawang, Simpang (new town), Seletar, Punggol to Changi, but that's many years down the road.....

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
I concur. Also, the units on sale are not much larger than Singapore, especially compared with those in the Woodlands region. I wonder why R&F condos will be attractive compared with the Malaysia projects such as Astaka or the landed ones?

It will be attractive if it's directly linked to MRT, with an integrated office/shopping concept. One can walk to the MRT/groceries etc, and avoid the massive car jams expected, once RTS is up & running.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will be attractive if it's directly linked to MRT, with an integrated office/shopping concept. One can walk to the MRT/groceries etc, and avoid the massive car jams expected, once RTS is up & running.
There needs to have an immigration building integrated into the 2 border stations of the RTS and they will have to be large enough to cater to the capacity, especially so in order to accommodate the counters for both countries.

I believe on the JB side, there will be first the Singapore immigration counters to do the clearance for those exiting Singapore and immediately followed by the Malaysian immigration counters to execute for the incoming visitors. Similarly on the Singapore (Woodlands) side, there will be the Malaysian immigration counters to clear those exiting Malaysia and followed immediately by the Singapore immigration counters to perform incoming clearance.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
It would be an amazing idea. Hope they'll execute it.
It can only be in this manner so that commuters only need to queue once in each direction. It will also benefit the overall logistics because for a high frequency train system (we may talking of at most 10-minute intervals), the amount of commuters traversing will be enormous and this is the most ideal arrangement. This is also what is being practiced in the Hongkong/Shenzhen crossing. I had forgotten whether it's the same arrangement for the Paris/London cross tunnel train because I took that donkey years ago.

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
There needs to have an immigration building integrated into the 2 border stations of the RTS and they will have to be large enough to cater to the capacity, especially so in order to accommodate the counters for both countries.

I believe on the JB side, there will be first the Singapore immigration counters to do the clearance for those exiting Singapore and immediately followed by the Malaysian immigration counters to execute for the incoming visitors. Similarly on the Singapore (Woodlands) side, there will be the Malaysian immigration counters to clear those exiting Malaysia and followed immediately by the Singapore immigration counters to perform incoming clearance.

i don't see value in this format as it will create bottlenecks.

I hope for an efficient clearance system for the daily commuters where only one-time counter clearance is required at either end of the causeway and the info is just updated at the other immigration that the commuter has either enter or left into their country. A dream?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
i don't see value in this format as it will create bottlenecks.

I hope for an efficient clearance system for the daily commuters where only one-time counter clearance is required at either end of the causeway and the info is just updated at the other immigration that the commuter has either enter or left into their country. A dream?
Quite impossible because each country will have their own database and will definitely not want to integrate them. Otherwise, it will affect also those departures/arrivals at other entry points like airports and seaports. Furthermore, the immigration officers from each country must also see that your face corresponds to the photo on your passport in order to endorse it at the point of entry by the receiving country (applicable to foreigners), or even for the finger prints to tally if one is using the self-automated clearance system (for citizens).

Last edited:

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quite impossible because each country will have their own database and will definitely not want to integrate them. Otherwise, it will affect also those departures/arrivals at other entry points like airports and seaports. Furthermore, the immigration officers from each country must also see that your face corresponds to the photo on your passport in order to endorse it at the point of entry by the receiving country (applicable to foreigners), or even for the finger prints to tally if one is using the self-automated clearance system (for citizens).

Perhaps. As technology evolves i hope it can be.

I visualize that daily cross-boundary travel will triple by 2020, get worst during peak timing.
Setting up an MRT alone (at JBCC) may not be able to cope with the demand.

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal

agree as long it is within 0.5km safe walk to the MRT.

In fact, population at,around JB sentral should increase significantly and faster than the other regions in the future. As it will be a faster, cheaper and more reliable way to get into into Singapore for work.

Valdez

Alfrescian
Loyal
image.jpg

It's more or less confirmed that the HSR terminal will be at nusajaya very near to peter lim motor city. Opposite leisure farm. Very near to Sunway iskandar.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal
View attachment 15854

It's more or less confirmed that the HSR terminal will be at nusajaya very near to peter lim motor city. Opposite leisure farm. Very near to Sunway iskandar.

In the same article, there's an interesting update (right hand side) on the RTS. Apparently the time to swing RTS into operation has been changed from 2018 to 2019, in conjunction with Thomson Line opening. Also it was mentioned that the overhead or underground tunnel option will be confirmed at this year end, and that the transit stop is likely to terminate at JB Sentral (reporter's guesswork only).

Looking at all of these, my guess is that the RTS will probably be an underground option, terminating either at the vicinity of

(a) Suria City/Bluewave Hotel; or
(b) at the opposite side of Suria/Bluewave (where the multi-storey JB Sentral carpark is located; or
(c) R&F current phase 1 site (underground option).

For convenience, obviously option (b) is the most logical, but with R&F money, they can sway it to option (a) or (c). But for all these options, underground is the key thing......

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the same article, there's an interesting update (right hand side) on the RTS. Apparently the time to swing RTS into operation has been changed from 2018 to 2019, in conjunction with Thomson Line opening. Also it was mentioned that the overhead or underground tunnel option will be confirmed at this year end, and that the transit stop is likely to terminate at JB Sentral (reporter's guesswork only).

Looking at all of these, my guess is that the RTS will probably be an underground option, terminating either at the vicinity of

(a) Suria City/Bluewave Hotel; or
(b) at the opposite side of Suria/Bluewave (where the multi-storey JB Sentral carpark is located; or
(c) R&F current phase 1 site (underground option).

For convenience, obviously option (b) is the most logical, but with R&F money, they can sway it to option (a) or (c). But for all these options, underground is the key thing......

Singapore side had already confirmed that "in the even" there will be a MRT link to JB, the line will extend from Woodlands North station on the Thomson line. This station is located just next to the Republic Poly.
If you look at the map, the shortest point to connect to the Woodlands North station will be somewhere next to the Menara Cyberport Building.
There are lots of space here for a larger station as this will also be the CIQ point for incoming passengers.
A shorter bridge or tunnel will translate to lower cost for both country.
The next station can then be at the city area.
Passengers will disembark at this CIQ station then hop onto the JB RTS to continue his journey.
This is just like the HongKong / shenzhen system - you get off from the Hongkong train, walk towards the CIQ, clear immigration then get into the Shenzhen station to catch the next train, trains from both sides don't cross over to the other side.
For Hongkong / Shenzhen situation is simpler cos both terminal stations are on land with both CIQ side by side, you just cross the gate.
The human traffic there is much higher and still it was too not congested during peak hours.
An interest question here is - once you left the CIQ in Woodlands North, you had already technically left Singapore to arrive on the JB side CIQ. So will it be the Sg's MRT go onwards across the Straits or the JB line cross the Straits to the Woodlands North Station? Or perhaps we have a shuttle train with no link with the respective line and just shuttle between the 2 CIQ stations?