• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

RP's Jeyaretnam lodges police report

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

RP's Jeyaretnam lodges police report

Posted: 18 January 2013 1826 hrs

display_image.php

Reform Party Secretary-General and candidate for the Punggol East by-election Kenneth Jeyaretnam at walkabout. (Siti Nur Mas Lina, channelnewsasia.com)

SINGAPORE: Police have confirmed that a report has been lodged by Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam of the Reform Party.

However, they would not comment on the nature of the complaint or whether they are investigating the matter.

Mr Jeyaretnam had reportedly spoken of anonymous online threats against him and his family if he does not withdraw from the four-cornered contest in the Punggol East by-election.

He is scheduled to speak to the media on Friday evening.

- CNA/al

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

RP's K Jeyaretnam has reported 'death threats' to police

by Adibah Mustafa Updated 10:51 PM Jan 18, 2013

showimageCC.aspx

SINGAPORE - Punggol East by-election candidate Kenneth Jeyaretnam said he has made a police report about the "death threats" and "cyber-bullying" he said his family were subjected to on social media, and took an online portal to task for their coverage of the incident.

Mr Jeyaretnam had yesterday told the media about the threats his 16-year-old son, who is studying in Britain, had received.

Speaking to the press at Rivervale Mall today, The Reform Party chief said the "threats of violence" were "directed at my family and also now at me", though he said he could not go into details due to the ongoing police investigation."

He added: "I am leaving this in the capable hands of the police now, and their swift action and the special team they have sent to deal with it have reassured me enormously.

"I used the term 'death threats' because the wording in the threat was too awful to say aloud. I'm sorry I cannot be more precise."

Mr Jeyaretnam, who said the threats started on Nomination Day, condemned what he said was a news portal's efforts to "trivialise the situation".

He said: "Once word of the threats broke, a global online news portal's Singapore branch took it upon themselves to do some independent research. Yesterday, they posted a report in which they had carefully cherry-picked some aspects in order to trivialise the situation. And used my child in order to present me in as damaging a way as possible.

"The motivation for this remains unclear to me.

"The resulting attention attracted by that report which originally contained a hyperlink to my son's Facebook profile led to an escalation of the original harassment. In London, my son's school reacted swiftly, appropriately and caringly to ensure that his online privacy and that of the children linked to his account were suitably protected.

"My son is no longer connected to his Twitter feed though it remains in place. And the instance of cyber-bullying is being investigated by the metropolitan police in London."

Compared to Britain, Mr Jeyaretnam said, "here in Singapore we are lacking in protection and clear-cut guidance" on how to deal with cyber-bullying.

"I would like to say now to all Singaporeans that bullying in any form, whether online by an individual or an institution, is unacceptable," he said, particularly "where minors and other vulnerable groups are exposed".

Said Mr Jeyaretnam: "To the people who have sent the harassing tweets directly to my son, I have nothing to say. The best thing everyone can do for us right now is to put a very firm lid on this. Respect my son's need for privacy and allow the police to do their job.

He added: "I would also like to ask you to stop speculating online that this is the work of the Workers' Party. There is no basis for believing that."

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
He is a completely detached individual. He is mountain of a molehill. Voters are looking for a strong candidate who can represent their needs. Instead he spends his time talking about of cyber bullying, the high standards of the west of handling cyber bullying. Notice that he and Desmond are the 2 morons who complaint about these things.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
hahaha....making molehill out of mountain is the forte of my idol....
how can KJ no big no small does such thing..
knn...when he received death threats against not only him but his family, why can't he made police reports just in case ????
lidat means weak meh....
hiding behind keyboard and whacking anything that moves means u very strong meh???

Last edited:

Kyo Kusanagi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Man arrested for allegedly threatening RP's Jeyaretnam

By Teo Chia Leen | Posted: 23 January 2013 2253 hrs

display_image.php

Reform Party's Secretary General Kenneth Jeyaretnam.

SINGAPORE: Police have arrested a 23-year-old man for allegedly transmitting an online threat against Reform Party (RP) secretary general Kenneth Jeyaretnam.

In a statement, police said Mr Jeyaretnam lodged the police report on Friday, 18 January 2013.

Police have classified the case as Criminal Intimidation (under Section 506 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224) and investigations are ongoing.

The candidate for the Punggol East by-election had spoken to the media about the anonymous online threats against him and his family.

It is believed the nature of the threats were against him contesting in the by-election.

- CNA/xq

Kyo Kusanagi

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Temporary clerk held for allegedly threatening RP chief Jeyaretnam

Published on Jan 25, 2013

jeyaretnam25e.jpg

The 23-year-old man who was arrested for allegedly threatening Reform Party chief Kenneth Jeyaretnam (above) was a temporary clerk at Singapore Press Holdings (SPH). -- ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG

THE 23-year-old man who was arrested for allegedly threatening Reform Party chief Kenneth Jeyaretnam was a temporary clerk at Singapore Press Holdings (SPH).

Responding to queries yesterday, an SPH spokesman said: "A temporary staff member is being investigated for a criminal offence which has no bearing on or related to SPH. He has since resigned, and we have accepted his resignation."

Sources said the man was an administrative assistant with ST701, a classified ads website. He has not been charged yet.

He was arrested on Wednesday after a police report was lodged by Mr Jeyaretnam last week.

The police confirmed that he has been released on bail.

The threats, via e-mails, targeted Mr Jeyaretnam's London-based wife and teenage son. They were sent after the politician joined the race in the Punggol East by-election.

The arrested man is being investigated for criminal intimidation under the Penal Code.

If found guilty, he faces a fine or a jail term of up to two years, or both.

TESSA WONG AND TOH YONG CHUAN

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Two men arrested for making online threats

By Saifulbahri Ismail | Posted: 30 January 2013 1929 hrs

SINGAPORE: Two men were arrested separately on Monday for making online threats.

In the first case, the police arrested a 40-year-old Singaporean who had allegedly threatened Reform Party's Secretary-General Kenneth Jeyaretnam during the Punggol East by-election.

Police said he was the second man to be arrested in relation to the case. Last week, a 23-year-old man was brought in by the police.

Separately, a 29-year-old man was arrested in connection with online threats made to ex-NMP Calvin Cheng.

Mr Cheng lodged a police report on January 26.

Both cases are classified as Criminal Intimidation under the Penal Code.

Investigations are ongoing.

-CNA/ac

Zieler

Alfrescian
Loyal

Arrests made for online threats to Kenneth Jeyaretnam and Calvin Cheng

20130122.201655_kj.jpg

The Straits Times, AsiaOne
Wednesday, Jan 30, 2013

Police have arrested 2 men on Jan 28 for two separate online threat incidents - one against Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam and another against Ex-Nominated Member of Parliament (Ex-NMP) Mr Calvin Cheng.

A 40-year-old Singaporean was arrested after the police report lodged on Jan 18 by Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam. He is the second subject to be arrested in relation to the case. The first subject, a 23-year-old male, was arrested earlier on Jan 23.

Separately, another 29-year-old Singaporean has been arrested in connection with the police report lodged on Jan 26 by Ex-NMP Mr Calvin Cheng.

Both cases are classified as Criminal Intimidation under Section 506 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224. Investigations are ongoing.

Mr Cheng told The Straits Times on Wednesday: "After his arrest, the man reached out to me by e-mail to apologise and express his contrition. I believe he is sincere." He added that the man said he did not mean it. But Mr Cheng told him that the page on which the comment was posted, Occupy Singapore, has more than 7,000 followers, and that one of them may have acted on the "incitement".

Get the full story from The Straits Times.