• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Root cause of Singapore problem: Lee Kuan Yew meme

salim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Complaining about the Straits Times in 1959

"I pointed to an article with bold headlines reporting that the police had refused to allow the PAP to hold a rally at Empress Place, and then to the last paragraph where in small type it added the meeting would take place where we were now. I compared this with a prominent report about an SPA rally. This was flagrant bias."

salim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let us get down to fundamentals. Is this an open, or is this a closed society? Is it a society where men can preach ideas - novel, unorthodox, heresies, to established churches and established governments - where there is a constant contest for men's hearts and minds on the basis of what is right, of what is just, of what is in the national interests, or is it a closed society where the mass media - the newspapaers, the journals, publications, TV, radio - either bound by sound or by sight, or both sound and sight, men's minds are fed with a constant drone of sycophantic support for a particular orthodox political philosophy? That is the first question we asked ourselves.

I would like to see minds stimulated and debate provoked, and truth refined and crystallized out of the conflict of different evidence and views. I, therefore, welcome every and any opportunity of a chance to agree, or to dissent, in order that out of thesis comes synthesis - thesis, anti-major premise, anti-premise, synthesis, so we progress...

I welcome every opportunity to meet members of the opposition, and so do members of my party, over the radio, over the television, university forums, public rallies. We never run away from the open encounter. If your ideas, your views cannot stand the challenge of criticism then they are too fragile and not sturdy enough to last.

I am talking of the principle of the open society, the open debate, ideas, not intimidation, persuasion not coercion...

Sir, the basic fundamentals we asked ourselves...is whether the duties of the Minister of Information and Broadcasting are to produce closed minds or open minds, because these instruments - the mass media, the TV, the radio - can produce either the open minds receptive to ideas and ideals, a democratic system of life, or closed and limited. But I know that the open debate is a painful process for closed minds...But let me make this point: that 5 million adult minds in Malaysia cannot be closed - definitely not in the lifetime of the people in authority. It is not possible because whatever the faults of the colonial system, and there are many...they generated the open mind, the inquiring mind.

- Lee Kuan Yew
Dec 18, 1964
Malaysian Parliamentary Debates

salim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Prime Minister Lee Kuan Yew, 1986

"We have to lock up people, without trial, whether they are communists, whether they are language chauvinists, whether they are religious extremists. If you don't do that, the country would be in ruins."

salim

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lee Kuan Yew, 1988 National Day Rally, when he discussed the leadership transition to Goh Chok Tong in 1990

“Even from my sick bed, even if you are going to lower me into the grave and I feel something is going wrong, I will get up.”

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually why fixate on LKY when he is 86? Why not focus on LHL and those around him instead?

In any event, at the present moment there is no way to kick out the PAPs from government unless you wish to see possible severe instability and uncertainty which is no one's best interests. What would be better is to clip PAPs wings to say 60% or les of the vote and a fall of 1 or 2 GRCs. And then let a generally serious minded credible oppo grow and take off from there.

Because PAP is based on LKY his thinkings and ideologies. Because Singapore is based on LKY's thinkings and ideologies.

Even LKY is gone, the PAP is still around. LHL and those around him, they are still the carrier of LKY mind virus. Most Singaporeans are infected by LKY mind virus. Even some of the Oppositions are not spared. Thats how serious LKY mind virus infection goes.

In order to achieve any political progress here, the first step is to deal with LKY screw up thinking and ideologies. Without doing that, no way the Opposition could achieve what u hope, to first clip the wing of PAP to 60%.

Last edited:

char_jig_kar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most of the LKY quotes here we could find it on the Internet. But there are much much more in depth material recorded in the local newspaper, his memoirs, etc. Need more effort to dig those out. And we could have a really clear picture, how screw up his set of thinkings, philosophies, and ideologies.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Repression, Sir, is a habit that grows. I am told it is like making love - it is always easier the second time! The first time there may be pangs of conscience, a sense of guilt. But once embarked on this course with constant repetition you get more and more brazen in the attack. All you have to do is to dissolve organizations and societies and banish or detain the key political workers in these societies. Then miraculously everything is tranquil on the surface.

Then an intimidated press and the government-controlled radio together can regularly sing your praises, and slowly and steadily the people are made to forget the evil things that have already been done, or if these things are referrred to again they're conveniently distorted and distorted with impunity, because there will no opposition to contradict."

Lee Kuan Yew
Legislative Assembly Debate
Oct 4, 1956

O Gawd, this man DOES practise what he preached.... :mad:

.. and it's not the love making part :biggrin:

High Command

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opposition leader Lee Kuan Yew, Straits Times, May 5, 1959

"Repression can only go up to a point. When it becomes too acute, the instruments of repression, namely the army and the police, have been proved time and time again in history to have turned their guns on their masters."

Which is why he uses only lawyers :biggrin: