• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Romney loses thousands of Facebook 'friends' post election

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Romney loses thousands of Facebook 'friends' post election
ELECTIONS 2012 NOVEMBER 11, 2012 BY: PHYLLIS L. SMITH ASINYANBI
As Mitt Romney waved goodbye to supporters, they are now saying final goodbyes to him, via Facebook.
Credits: Reuters/Jim Young

Often the people who friend or like others on Facebook aren't friends at all. Perhaps there's a common interest, and with the click of a mouse, a Facebook friendship is born.

According to the Washington Post, Mitt Romney lost nearly 593 Facebook friends between 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. on Friday morning. The losses are happening so quickly, the drop in numbers can actually be watched. A click can launch a friendship as well as end one.

A two-minute study was conducted on Romney's Facebook page at 4:42 a.m., CT, on Sun., Nov. 11, 2012, and he had 12,053,104 likes.

The page was refreshed at 4:44 a.m., CT, and he had 12,053,097, totaling seven unlikes within a two-minute time span. If the "unlikes" continue at the above rate, within 60 minutes, Romney would lose 210 "friends."

The Romney campaign hasn't updated social media profiles since election day.

The last message on Romney's Facebook page is a picture of him waving goodbye at the time of his concession speech. His last Twitter message was one thanking his supporters but didn't mention future plans.

After losing the election in 2008, Sarah Palin and John McCain relaunched their profiles around Political Action Committees. According to the Washington Post, McCain and Palin both maintain strong social media following and use it to engage their followers.

However, Romney may be deliberately disengaging from social media, as he has said he plans to step away from politics after the 2012 election.

http://www.examiner.com/article/romney-loses-thousands-of-facebook-friends-post-election

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
210 losses within 12 million fans doesn't seem like a huge deal, even for an hour's worth.

Even if this rate of loss continues for a whole week, he would only have lost 0.2% of his supporters.

Must be an extremely slow news day.

AnyOldHow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not surprising at all ...

Probably half of those that "Dislike" Mitt were Democrats there to keep taps of their opponent.
Another half probably from law enforcement agencies and the like ... ie secret service monitoring
threats!

This is an example of how fast and drastic one's fortune can change ...

"Javelin, Jockey details, all posts, discontinue."

Of all the indignities involved in losing a presidential race, none is more stark than the sudden
emptiness of your entourage. The Secret Service detail guarding Governor Romney since Feb 1.
stood down quickly and quietly the seconds he conceded.

He had ridden in a 15-car motorcade to the Intercontinental Hotel in Boston for his concession
speech.

He rode in a single-car motorcade back across the Charles River to Belmont. His son, Tagg,
did the driving.

Last edited:

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
The decline of the USA has started. In future, the most likely candidate for President will be either hispanic or negro. A white man as candidate will not be electable by those non-whites. The situation will accelerate with the passage of time. White americans will henceforth be a minority.

Judging from the economic and intellectural successes (or lack of) of African countries and South American countries, where these new americans came from, the future of the USA is indeed sad. No wonder many white southern states are thinking of leaving the union. But will the "free-loading niggers and 'panics " allow hard-working and intelligent part of their population leave ? Perhaps, another american civil war is inevitable....... Good for the rest of the world.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The decline of the USA has started. In future, the most likely candidate for President will be either hispanic or negro. A white man as candidate will not be electable by those non-whites. The situation will accelerate with the passage of time. White americans will henceforth be a minority.

Judging from the economic and intellectural successes (or lack of) of African countries and South American countries, where these new americans came from, the future of the USA is indeed sad. No wonder many white southern states are thinking of leaving the union. But will the "free-loading niggers and 'panics " allow hard-working and intelligent part of their population leave ? Perhaps, another american civil war is inevitable....... Good for the rest of the world.

Demographic shifts have led to similar problemsd in parts of Europe where there has been liberal immigration policies. But you do not see it in places like Australia, New Zealand or Canada which still maintain strict immigration policies.

Even beyond demographic changes, some countries' early flirtation with liberal democracy has seen a reversion to authoritarian rule, most notably in parts of Africa and in post-Soviet states. Putin's Russia is the most notable example.

In short, democracy is not always a good thing.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Looking at the Republican, I get the impression that they are trying to preserve the status quo of the rich & white americans i.e. traditional values:biggrin:

While the democrats represent the interests of the struggling masses.

Something like the struggle going on in Spore between the elites vs "lesser mortals"

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking at the Republican, I get the impression that they are trying to preserve the status quo of the rich & white americans i.e. traditional values:biggrin:

While the democrats represent the interests of the struggling masses.

Something like the struggle going on in Spore between the elites vs "lesser mortals"

This is the class warfare thesis. It worked for Obama and the Dems. It is now being played out in the UK. The question is whether it could have broad resonance in S'pore? As of now I think not.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This is the class warfare thesis. It worked for Obama and the Dems. It is now being played out in the UK. The question is whether it could have broad resonance in S'pore? As of now I think not.

The citizens of Malaysia & Indonesia have voted for change. If Sporeans aren't influenced by this I doubt that they would be influenced by some distant election in the UK.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
The citizens of Malaysia & Indonesia have voted for change. If Sporeans aren't influenced by this I doubt that they would be influenced by some distant election in the UK.

I am just saying that elsewhere some political parties to the left of centre are using class warfare as an effective tool for electoral success. I do not believe it will work in Singapore. EQUALLY, short of the defeat of the Barisan Nasional in Malaysia, nothing there or in Indonesia will have any bearing in Singapore politically. Singapore may be the most globalised country in the world and plugged into everything that goes on elsewhere, but politically it continues to do its own thing different from what is happening elsewhere. Like I said, only the defeat of Barisan Nasional will change this situation.