• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Robin Hood Myth of Secret Societies

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
SS gangs were used effectively by the Lim Yew Hock, the second chief minister of Singapore after Marshall to secure electoral seats by threatening voters. They therefore were against the PAP. When the PAP came to power, the crackdown began. It continued for years under Operation Eagle and they were decimated to a large extent.

It is the hero worship that I can't comprehend. I often hear people point out a headman and say that he is humble, steady, can settle matters and the people of Lor Tai Seng respect him etc. I wonder if they know where he draws his income. Leaches like these don't extort rich civil servants or grassroot leaders. They collect protection money from hawkers and people who already earn a meagre sum.

I mentioned this story before in this forum. One of sons of a hawker who graduated from Uni was helping his hawker father at Maxwell Road Hawker Centre which was walking distance in a straight line to CID in Robinson Road. The son noticed that the father was paying his weekly sum to the local SS. The son called CID on the quiet and they promised to look into it. The next day, the SS guy came to see the son and in a "gentlemanly manner" explained that it was "temple donations for 7th Month" . The son who convinced some of the other hawkers about not paying was naturally shocked. And it carries on.

It is not as bad as before. No more slashing or verbal threats. Just harassment, telling delivery man not to send supplies to the hawker.

One recent phenomenon is the control of mobile phone shops, delivery of newspapers to HDB blocks etc. The latter re-surfacing again.

Years ago, the HDB renovation biz in the new towns weren't spared either. Those involved were detained under CLTP Act. I think it was the late 90s.

John Henry

Alfrescian
Loyal
absolutely. they were all fucking thugs. just that these were sophisticated and more educated thugs with blessings from gov. in sg, the old man is the greatest thug and gangster of them all.

My ex-boss likes to tell this story about his childhood friends. He was living around the Chinatown area and often had a group of neighbourhood kids to play with. He particularly remember 2 brothers because they always resorted to violence to get their way. As they grew older, these brothers would ask for money from the hawkers and run errands for the hawkers mainly buying supplies for them. Then they got smart and decided to buy the supplies themselves and resell them to the hawkers. They recruited "brothers" to work for them and set up shop at Carpenter street and soon cornered the sugar market. Everybody had to get their sugar from these brothers. Those that don't were not allowed to do business in the area. These 2 brothers became so rich they are billionaires now and respected businessmen.

My ex-boss tells this story to make the staff understand that in making money you have to play dirty. Even gangsters can be turn into respected businessmen as long as they have money. He is only interested that you earn for the company, he is not interested how you do it. :mad:

That was why I left the company.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think during the racial conflicts, the Chinese gangs became the protectors and often supply the fighters.

But no room for them in modern society (extortion, drugs, prostitution). Media has glorified these gangs. I feel they should be crushed.

i remember the so-called secret societies were formed when times were hard.
especially in the early days when our fore-fathers migrated from China to Nanyang aka the Singapore that we know.

ie: people gathered together. the usual, strength in numbers.

many were in the less legit business. but, sometimes, that's really all they know to do.
but as time goes by with the younger one getting more educated, many have turn legit.

the grey, black past will take time to fade, and probably wouldn't be as clean as those "white sheets".

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
What about the family that cornered the HDB conveyancing business?

He must be the biggest thug of all, and even began to spawn a dynasty.

My ex-boss likes to tell this story about his childhood friends. He was living around the Chinatown area and often had a group of neighbourhood kids to play with. He particularly remember 2 brothers because they always resorted to violence to get their way. As they grew older, these brothers would ask for money from the hawkers and run errands for the hawkers mainly buying supplies for them. Then they got smart and decided to buy the supplies themselves and resell them to the hawkers. They recruited "brothers" to work for them and set up shop at Carpenter street and soon cornered the sugar market. Everybody had to get their sugar from these brothers. Those that don't were not allowed to do business in the area. These 2 brothers became so rich they are billionaires now and respected businessmen.

My ex-boss tells this story to make the staff understand that in making money you have to play dirty. Even gangsters can be turn into respected businessmen as long as they have money. He is only interested that you earn for the company, he is not interested how you do it. :mad:

That was why I left the company.