• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rnouncing Singapore citizenship

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys:

I became an Australian citizen sometime at the end of last month. I would like to surrender my Singpore citizenship when I get back to Sydney sometime in August this year when my contract in Singapore finishes. The Singapore High Commision in Oz is located in Canberra and its about close to 300km from where I am in Sydney, however I don't mind driving there if necessary. But I'm just curious about one thing. I was told that I could send the Singapore passport and IC by post but would it be a good idea? Would it be better to go there personally? Its just that I don't want a situation where I send the contents by post and the Sinkee High Commission act blur and say they never receive anything. Are there any other procedures to follow such as filling up other forms etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys:

I became an Australian citizen sometime at the end of last month. I would like to surrender my Singpore citizenship when I get back to Sydney sometime in August this year when my contract in Singapore finishes. The Singapore High Commision in Oz is located in Canberra and its about close to 300km from where I am in Sydney, however I don't mind driving there if necessary. But I'm just curious about one thing. I was told that I could send the Singapore passport and IC by post but would it be a good idea? Would it be better to go there personally? Its just that I don't want a situation where I send the contents by post and the Sinkee High Commission act blur and say they never receive anything. Are there any other procedures to follow such as filling up other forms etc? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

There is this outdated thing called "Registered Mail"..

Ash007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Traveling to Canberra from Sydney isn't that bad, I've been there a couple of times and its kind of relaxing to drive there. The scenery along the way is just beautiful. If you have a decent car you should give it go.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Guys:

I was told that I could send the Singapore passport and IC by post but would it be a good idea?
Thanks

http://www.auspost.com.au/GAC_File_Metafile/0,,4076%5Fregpost%5Fdl%5F090706,00.pdf

Just go for Registered Mail prepaid envelope with Delivery Confirmation. The High Comm will need to sign and the postie will return the Delivery Confirmation Postcard to you.
The Post Office will also give you a Posting Confirmation that you have sent a letter to the recipient. (in this case, Singapore High Commission in Canberra)

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is this outdated thing called "Registered Mail"..

folks,

don't risk it. Just go to the embassy personally, do the procedures and make sure every document you surrendered is signed and acknowledged for.

My cousin did this in the HK consulate office in HK but didn't get it signed for. They then claimed they didn't received the documents and it was left to ding dong for a few years before it was resolved.

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi Guys:

Thanks

Don't ever send your application and documents via the Singapore High Commission. It often takes longer, very inefficient and more likely to goof up your renunciation process. WHY? Simply because Singapore High Com belongs to MFA while ICA (dealing with your renunciation) belongs to MHA.

There used to be standard forms to fill in which can be downloaded online. If not, just write to ICA or the nearest High Com to send you the forms. You need to buy an International Bank Draft to pay the admin fees to ICA. For male SG, there is an additional form to fill in giving details of your father/mother/brothers/sisters etc.

Send all your documents via courier post directly to SINGAPORE (ICA) to have peace of mind. It takes less time to process your application if you deal directly with ICA than thru Singapore High Com (Canberra). Immigration & Checkpoints Authority

Last edited:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks for all your kind replies but the reason why I don't want to send by post is that there may be a risk that the High Comm might 'act blur' even if it is via a registered post.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Traveling to Canberra from Sydney isn't that bad, I've been there a couple of times and its kind of relaxing to drive there. The scenery along the way is just beautiful. If you have a decent car you should give it go.

Yes. Thinking about it. Maybe can take my family for a 2 days holiday there. Nothing like driving around the country side.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is surrendering it before you leave Singapore an option? Assuming you already have your Aussie passport.

No because I work for a sister company of an MNC. There might be a risk that the Sinkee government might ask me to get out earlier before my contract finishes and the Corporate office might not be very happy if they find out that my contract was screwed up because of me.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't ever send your application and documents via the Singapore High Commission. It often takes longer, very inefficient and more likely to goof up your renunciation process. WHY? Simply because Singapore High Com belongs to MFA while ICA (dealing with your renunciation) belongs to MHA.

There used to be standard forms to fill in which can be downloaded online. If not, just write to ICA or the nearest High Com to send you the forms. You need to buy an International Bank Draft to pay the admin fees to ICA. For male SG, there is an additional the form to fill in giving details of your father/mother/brothers/sisters etc.

Send all your documents via courier post directly to SINGAPORE (ICA) to have peace of mind. It takes less time to process your application if you deal directly with ICA than thru Singapore High Com (Canberra). Immigration & Checkpoints Authority

Thanks Kiwibird. But what about withdrawl of CPF? Could I call the ICA/CPF board after sometime? How long will the process take? And also, could I possibly trust the ICa and send my documents to them?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks Kiwibird. But what about withdrawl of CPF? Could I call the ICA/CPF board after sometime? How long will the process take? And also, could I possibly trust the ICa and send my documents to them?

the ica and the cpf board are totally different organizations. deal with them on a step by step basis and separately - ica 1st and cpf 2nd. yes, it's good advice that you deal directly with the ica. find their online contact on their website and write to them. they will reply by assigning you a contact person. work with this assignee via email. when you have filled out all your documents and have a public notary notarized your signature, make copies and send your original documents to the ica office in sg via courier. it will take weeks. after you have been notified by the ica about the confirmation of your renunciation, you have to make a personal trip to the cpf office in sg to withdraw your funds, with all the paperwork, including the official letter of renunciation approval from the ica and your new passport. if you have ns full-time or ns reservist liabilities, you need to sort that out with mindef directly while sorting out your renunciation with the ica. understand how the various organizations work (separately) in sg, and your frustrations would be reduced. there's no such thing as a single point of control and contact in sg when it comes to official matters. every fecking ministry builds its own empire, works in silos and doesn't know wtf the other ministry is doing. they only work together when they have an oppo candidate to screw. :biggrin:

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

I have repeated this a few times in this forum. The IRAS will settle all outstanding money business concerning you, deducting from your CPF balance - before CPF returns the rest of the money to you.

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why don't you hold on to the Sinkie citizenship? Have you been given notice by ICA ? If not, why can't yuo hang on until it breaks?

Hi Guys:

I became an Australian citizen sometime at the end of last month. I would like to surrender my Singpore citizenship

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
the ica and the cpf board are totally different organizations. deal with them on a step by step basis and separately - ica 1st and cpf 2nd. yes, it's good advice that you deal directly with the ica. find their online contact on their website and write to them. they will reply by assigning you a contact person. work with this assignee via email. when you have filled out all your documents and have a public notary notarized your signature, make copies and send your original documents to the ica office in sg via courier. it will take weeks. after you have been notified by the ica about the confirmation of your renunciation, you have to make a personal trip to the cpf office in sg to withdraw your funds, with all the paperwork, including the official letter of renunciation approval from the ica and your new passport. if you have ns full-time or ns reservist liabilities, you need to sort that out with mindef directly while sorting out your renunciation with the ica. understand how the various organizations work (separately) in sg, and your frustrations would be reduced. there's no such thing as a single point of control and contact in sg when it comes to official matters. every fecking ministry builds its own empire, works in silos and doesn't know wtf the other ministry is doing. they only work together when they have an oppo candidate to screw. :biggrin:

Thank you. But must I go personally to the CPF board to withdraw CPF? Can't I send them all the documents and get them to TT the money over?

Last edited:

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why don't you hold on to the Sinkie citizenship? Have you been given notice by ICA ? If not, why can't yuo hang on until it breaks?

I need my CPF money, besides, I've been notified by the ICA that it is illegal to hold on to the Sinkee citizenship while having a foreign citizenship. As such, I'll have no choice but to surrender the Sinkee passport and the pink IC when I get back to Oz later this year.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have repeated this a few times in this forum. The IRAS will settle all outstanding money business concerning you, deducting from your CPF balance - before CPF returns the rest of the money to you.

Well, I guess I'm clean when it comes to this. I don't owe anything to the IRAS, don't think so at least.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
you are one lousy Satan, the Satan I know could fly from point A to point B..

anyway why don't have cheap airlines between Sydney and Canberra?

don't the govt. officials travel often between these 2 places?

Prefer to drive. Flight for such a short distance not worth it.:biggrin: