• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Rising costs: Govt's helping

david

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_269308.html

Rising costs: Govt's helping

By Jeremy Au Yong

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
front-jandr18.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

ST PHOTO: TERENCE TAN
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

SINGAPOREANS are receiving more help this year to deal with rising costs, said the Prime Minister last night, as he reassured the people that the Government is on top of the problem.

To give people a better grasp of the total amount going to them, in rebates and direct cash, PM Lee Hsien Loong cited as an example what a family living in a three-room HDB stands to benefit by.

RELATED LINKS
CLICK FOR THE ENGLISH TEXT OF SPEECH IN MALAY
CLICK FOR ENGLISH TEXT OF SPEECH IN CHINESE

It is $5,000 - a 'considerable amount,' he said yesterday.

However, the help given appears to be lost on Singaporeans and Mr Lee suspects it is because the Government does not make a big show of it. Also, the help is indirect and people do not connect these measures with the prices of daily necessities that they see going up.

Mr Lee Hsien Loong put inflation on top of the agenda of his Chinese speech at the National Day Rally, alongside talk of tackling the low birth rate plus the need for foreign workers and new immigrants.

Earlier, in his Malay address, he described a new role for an old fund.

He suggested that the Mosque Building and Mendaki Fund be channelled to upgrading old mosques as well giving more help to dysfunctional Malay families.

These were the only two speeches telecast live on TV yesterday, as Mr Lee had postponed the broadcast of the main English speech to tonight.

He explained the unprecedented move to the audience of 1,700, which included opposition MP Chiam See Tong, as well as Nominated MPs Thio Li-Ann and Siew Kum Hong.

'This is my most challenging National Day Rally - because it coincides with the women's table tennis finals at the Olympic team event in Beijing. Let us start by wishing all the best to Team Singapore,' he said, to loud applause.

It was a light-hearted start to a night that saw PM Lee delving into the country's most pressing issues.

Speaking on inflation in Mandarin, he said that while he does not claim to have rescued the people in their hour of need, the Government is doing its best.

For instance, Singaporeans were given Growth Dividends cash in April, following the large Budget surplus, as well as GST credits to offset last July's two-point hike in the Goods and Services Tax. More Growth Dividends will be given in October.

In all, the Government is splashing out $3 billion to ease cost-of-living woes, with the low-income getting special attention.

'Of course, the Government cannot give hongbao every year. We are not the God of Fortune,' he said.

In addition to the hongbao, Mr Lee also highlighted the work of community organisations.

Grassroots organisations, for instance, have been giving more hampers, food and other aid to needy families.

The Community Development Councils are also working hard. The PM singled out some of them for fitting energy-saving lightbulbs for poor families to help cut their power bills, among other measures.

Despite the help given, PM Lee noted that some feel that the Government is still not doing enough.

Some even felt that the Government was contributing to inflation with fee increases, and should hold the latter back whenever possible.

'I am sympathetic to this view,' he said, and pointed out that the Government had indeed held back on increasing some fees.

For example: service and conservancy charges in town councils run by People's Action Party MPs, and the price of water.

Some increases, he conceded, are inevitable like health-care costs. He assured Singaporeans the Government will keep the increases as small as possible.

Although Mr Lee dwelt at length on inflation, he ended his Mandarin speech by putting the issue in perspective.

Singapore, he said, cannot focus on the short-term problem of rising costs while neglecting long-term issues like the low birth rate and the challenges posed by the Internet.

'We have to deal with these problems and achieve a balance between short-term and long-term issues. This is a unique model for Spore. If we can maintain this model, then we can ride out the storms and overcome challenges time and again,' he said.

Log on to The Straits Times RazorTV at www.razor.tv for the Malay and Chinese speeches the Prime Minister gave at the National Day Rally. The speech in English will be webcast at 8pm.

See commentary on Prime Page A2

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
'Of course, the Government cannot give hongbao every year. We are not the God of Fortune,' he said.

Translation : "The govt cannot give YOU hongbao every year. We are not the God of YOUR Fortune. However, the govt gives ME hongbao EVERY DAY!. I am the God of my own fortune.".:biggrin:
Translation service courtesy of sammyboy.com - Singapore's premier Alfresco Experience.

Himerus

Alfrescian
Loyal
with these goodies,we will have to payback more.
everytime,they give,something will surely going to increase.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course. The reason on why LHL added so many details is to muddle the water. Confuse the people about the 'help' we are offering and befuddle them.

In other words, "cheem-ise" the policies until ordinary laymen cannot understand, and then people will get so confused that they will believe the government is somehow helping them.

In any case, $5000 per family a year is a generalisation. Not all will get, and I doubt the poor people will get $5000. Just ask those elderly people who are forced to beg, or sell tissue paper, or collect cardboard boxes or newspapers to survive on $10 daily.

When they have no money to buy medicine, and having to choose paying the HDB rent or to buy food, or to buy medicine for their aliments, I don't believe they will say that they receive $5000 from the government every year regularly.

I mean, most of them cannot even afford a plate of chicken rice- which to them is the ultimate luxury.

hughgrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
Translation : "The govt cannot give YOU hongbao every year. We are not the God of YOUR Fortune. However, the govt gives ME hongbao EVERY DAY!. I am the God of my own fortune.".:biggrin:
Translation service courtesy of sammyboy.com - Singapore's premier Alfresco Experience.

people will be thinking if no hongbao then why vote for them?

cowbellc

Alfrescian
Loyal
after his speech...i still dun understand what kind of help we are getting

tats d pt!! say this n tat but in fact no actual solution or feasible plan 2 lower d cost or improvement!!

listen carefully, d price of basic Amenities n necessities will increase slowly but surely.

"Some increases, he conceded, are inevitable like health-care costs. He assured Singaporeans the Government will keep the increases as small as possible. "

also not 2 expect any hongbao or cash-giveout anymore.

"Of course, the Government cannot give hongbao every year. We are not the God of Fortune,"

sure sign of a dwindling economy.

tommyh

Alfrescian
Loyal
Huh you mean you are under the payroll of the Singapore Govt?

annexa

Alfrescian
Loyal
The government is quite generous to the 3-roomers this time round. $5,000 is quite a bit of money :biggrin:

Did you ask gahmen 7% GST on rice, 7% GST on Water tax, increase transport prices for PROFIT,, etc one month/year take how much from 3-roomers?

NgEjay

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In other words, "cheem-ise" the policies until ordinary laymen cannot understand, and then people will get so confused that they will believe the government is somehow helping them .... ... .... In any case, $5000 per family a year is a generalisation. Not all will get, and I doubt the poor people will get $5000. Just ask those elderly people who are forced to beg, or sell tissue paper, or collect cardboard boxes or newspapers to survive on $10 daily.

You are absolutely right the govt chee-mises the policies so as to befuddle people.

And may I add they use statistics to mislead too.

$5000 for a family per year? If you think that is a lot of money, note that up to $1500 goes into the child's PSEA account -- which means that money is not available to day to day use, but only available for the educational needs of the child at APPROVED INSTITUTIONS!

What are those approved institutions? Think: Govt sponsored/owned ones.

Secondly, a few hundred goes into Medisave. Again, that is not for day-to-day use, but only for medical needs. Govt just has to let medical costs rise, and it earns back all that money anyway, if you are unfortunately enough to fall sick.

That leaves approx $3000 for daily use. Not that impressive after all eh? Especially when you compare to the direct cash handouts given by Hong Kong, a country with ZERO GST?

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are absolutely right the govt chee-mises the policies so as to befuddle people.

And may I add they use statistics to mislead too.

$5000 for a family per year? If you think that is a lot of money, note that up to $1500 goes into the child's PSEA account -- which means that money is not available to day to day use, but only available for the educational needs of the child at APPROVED INSTITUTIONS!

What are those approved institutions? Think: Govt sponsored/owned ones.

Secondly, a few hundred goes into Medisave. Again, that is not for day-to-day use, but only for medical needs. Govt just has to let medical costs rise, and it earns back all that money anyway, if you are unfortunately enough to fall sick.

That leaves approx $3000 for daily use. Not that impressive after all eh? Especially when you compare to the direct cash handouts given by Hong Kong, a country with ZERO GST?

Oh yeah, thanks for pointing it out as well. I also want to echo it further:

When the US government, through the federal and state government agencies, give out handouts, medicare(healthcare), education benefits, and food stamps, its often in cheques, and in vouchers that has an equivalent value in cash.

And in the case of job training, when people go through federal-sponsored job programs, its often for free, and you have the right to choose. In Singapore, the government merely gives you a tiny discount for anyone who wants to do a part time course either in poly or in uni, and insist that you have to pay the rest.

Even worse, you cannot choose the course you want to do. The government decides for you, and if its of a bad one because its doesn't consider the longer term, its your fault and not of the government.

Hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
Some get $5000,some dont

But the trick is to make it looks as it almost all get $5000,and make sure that the people believe it.

It is the art of convincing voters in Sinkiapore

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
translation : "the govt cannot give you hongbao every year. We are not the god of your fortune. However, the govt gives me hongbao every day!. I am the god of my own fortune.".:d
translation service courtesy of sammyboy.com - singapore's premier alfresco experience.

i not stupid!

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
[[However, the help given appears to be lost on Singaporeans]]

So there's no help... just some smoke over water ????

beng