• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Ripped off by Katong 328 Laksa stall

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no fan of katong laksa. 1st time when i had it the noodles were too short and gravy diluted from cut or broken noodles disintegrating into rice curry soup. don't understand why gong chee bye sinkies are all over it. not even a fan of thick gravy roxy laksa. my love of laksa is rekindled everytime when i have a soupy gravy with long uncut tua bee hoon topped with copious amount of chopped laksa leaves, a spoonful of sambal chili, and the most important ingredient .....generous serving of hum. and that is from a tudung-clad macik in tampines. after trying laksa everywhere in sg, would still go back to that stall to recalibrate and renew my laksa palate. and all this crap about adding prawns to laksa is an abomination. for prawn noodles, the penang rich gravy is still da best. my sis would steal my bowl after having her penang laksa, which in my opinion is crap. she doesn't eat from others' bowls which says a lot about the out of this world rich gravy prawn noodles at a penang longkang stall. sinkie laksa is no penang prawn noodle and never should it be. on its own, the macik much hum with no prawns is still da best for me.

bushtucker

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
All gone because of rental or the landlord taking over their laksa business. Agree their standard is not worth the price. Only 328 left in the vicinity.

rental hike is a poor excuse. they would have made enough money from all the laksa sales to own the shophouse unit.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I hungry I go laksaboy forum find good laksa to eat. Many recommendations from other fellow foodies.

Yamato

Alfrescian
Loyal
thats not too far from my time....at the very same place there was a zhi zhar stall and the saefood horfan was out of this world and cost i think 80 cents. Their fried rice was also very good...in fact i liked it better than fatty's at Albert Street.

80 cents??? You must be fucking old.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
80 cents??? You must be fucking old.

i remember i paid 20 cents for pork porridge. 30 cents if egg was added. 10 cents for roadside chai tau kway, 15 cents if egg was added, or you could bring your own egg. and ah lian upstairs will lower a basket from the shophouse with cash for food exchange. the uncle who woke me up every morning was the kachang puteh neh with his annoying toot toot horn, and uncle who kept me awake at night was the mee goreng neh who whacked the shit out of the wok with his metal spatula. only 20 cents for mee goreng plus some iron debris. shiok. but then you needed an iron stomach.

shittypore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Tos were the days KY was drawing 6k and his ministar 4k, now his precious Son, dearest D inlaw and all tos Cronies by the Millions

PretenderSam

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's definitely over priced and over hyped. Standard have dropped, stopped eating there ages ago. There are better choices that sells at 3 to 3.50 and taste better.....

standard dropped because they are using pre packed ingredients which they get from super market
like NUTC.
one of the cheats is laksa store outside OG Albert .

kkbutterfly

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry no offense but TS is a fucktard for eating there.
Every east side lander would tell you this 328 is a fake.
Original katong laksa is janggut. And the one that came later but definitely not this fake 328.
Want to know katong laksa history then google for Russell Wong's food blog. All factually documented.

And sungei road laksa already raised prices but still best for value and best laksa around.
Boycott fakes like 328 please

cheapskate thai narong only can afford sungei laska at $2 a bowl.
$5 laska kpkb like gu niang

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

some of the above average laksa are below average in price. the moment an eatery gets press and visitations by celebs, it's over in terms of "trust" value. it's not about quality-price ratio anymore for discerning sinkie regulars. they can pay for the best food. it's about being betrayed. the traditional "lowly" hawker in the sinkie psyche is supposed to be humble and honest although he may cum off as a complete arsehole in attitude.

Last edited:

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Haha sungei road up price liao but I always order big and extra hum and 2 bowls.
Goondus like you make nancy rich eating fake laksa with prawns! Hahaha who's more stewpig?
I bet you carry a fake tiong phone too

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This article might explain why 328 Laksa does not taste like Katong Laksa that we are familiar. The owner readily admits that she is not a pernakan and had over time changed the taste to accommodate to Hokkein taste buds.

I hope the Roxy guy moves back to Katong from East Coast Lagoon. He deserves a place where the dish originates.

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/dining-guide/what-to-eat/328-katong-laksa-*aid-07773f00/328 Katong Laksa
WHAT TO EAT
By Julia Khoo
24 June 2013 4:49 PM Updated 28 Jun 2013
328 Katong Laksa

The accidental bowl of laksa | Photo: Julia Khoo

Lucy “but call me Nancy” Lim, in her 50s, is an accidental hawker who went into selling laksa through her passion for good food and cooking. She started her first stall at the coffee shop at 49 East Coast Road, the epicentre of shops selling the famous Katong laksa. The name "328" was chosen because it sounds auspicious in Cantonese, connoting that the business will prosper.

katong laksa
Lim and her son, Ryan, who is in charge of the Katong-based branches of 328 Katong Laksa | Photo: Julia Khoo
In 1998, Lim moved the stall across the street to 51 East Coast Road, though her main branch is now at 216 East Coast Road. She now owns five branches, and manages the Katong-based outlets with the help of her son, Ryan Koh, 31.

Her Katong laksa (from $4.50) isn’t made Peranakan style: for starters, Lim is Hokkien, and 328 Laksa's current offering has been adjusted over the years to accommodate her customers' tastes. Going by the number of patrons and the long queues, straying from traditional Peranakan recipes do not seem to matter.

The laksa gravy is a seductive concoction of sweet, spicy, and umami flavours. It has a good amount of coconut milk, yet isn’t overly creamy or cloying. If you need it spicier, just stir in additional chilli sambal.

For the different types of laksas found in Singapore
readWhich laksa type are you?

Fresh cockles, prawns, fishcake strips, laksa leaves, and noodles that are snipped for easy eating (scooped up with a soup spoon, if you like) make this non-Peranakan laksa a quick but tasty meal to have. We’re excited that they have plans for further expansion, possibly overseas.

328 Katong Laksa is one of Singapore's 12 hawker heroes who could be pitted against celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay in SingTel's Hawker Heroes challenge. Vote for themhere.

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
This article might explain why 328 Laksa does not taste like Katong Laksa that we are familiar. The owner readily admits that she is not a pernakan and had over time changed the taste to accommodate to Hokkein taste buds.

I hope the Roxy guy moves back to Katong from East Coast Lagoon. He deserves a place where the dish originates.

http://www.hungrygowhere.com/dining-guide/what-to-eat/328-katong-laksa-*aid-07773f00/328 Katong Laksa
WHAT TO EAT
By Julia Khoo
24 June 2013 4:49 PM Updated 28 Jun 2013
328 Katong Laksa

The accidental bowl of laksa | Photo: Julia Khoo

Lucy “but call me Nancy” Lim, in her 50s, is an accidental hawker who went into selling laksa through her passion for good food and cooking. She started her first stall at the coffee shop at 49 East Coast Road, the epicentre of shops selling the famous Katong laksa. The name "328" was chosen because it sounds auspicious in Cantonese, connoting that the business will prosper.

In 1998, Lim moved the stall across the street to 51 East Coast Road, though her main branch is now at 216 East Coast Road. She now owns five branches, and manages the Katong-based outlets with the help of her son, Ryan Koh, 31.

Her Katong laksa (from $4.50) isn’t made Peranakan style: for starters, Lim is Hokkien, and 328 Laksa's current offering has been adjusted over the years to accommodate her customers' tastes. Going by the number of patrons and the long queues, straying from traditional Peranakan recipes do not seem to matter.

The laksa gravy is a seductive concoction of sweet, spicy, and umami flavours. It has a good amount of coconut milk, yet isn’t overly creamy or cloying. If you need it spicier, just stir in additional chilli sambal.

For the different types of laksas found in Singapore
readWhich laksa type are you?

328 Katong Laksa is one of Singapore's 12 hawker heroes who could be pitted against celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay in SingTel's Hawker Heroes challenge. Vote for themhere.

Once upon a time, it was Jangut who ruled the laksa scene in Katong. I used to enjoy dropping by a small bowl of laksa due to the rustic feel of the coffeeshop. To be honest as it is the only laksa available, it is all you have and it makes it famous.

Then came next door, opens another laksa stall (not the one across the road) which I think has much better taste and Wee Kim Wee is a fan of that laksa. But it never becomes famous.

Following, the coffeeshop owner got greedy and kicked out Jangut, and brought in Nancy if I recall. Then Nancy was in turn kicked out, and the coffeeshop owner did her own concoction. Coffeeshop owner's one cannot make it. Nancy on the other hand shifted just the small road and started her own.

What makes Nancy famous is due to the fact she added "hum" into laksa which Jangut refused to do so for years and came the 154th's report on which laksa ruling supreme. Nancy "won". And she became the de facto laksa queen in Katong.

Still while Nancy was around, I still frequent the place as I enjoy the traditional setting of a coffeeshop and just having a spoon to scoop your laksa is plainly a funtime to do while in Katong. To be fair, Jangut's laksa is not that great.

Now the whole feel is now turned into a fast food restaurant style with higher prices to boot. It is now go to the counter to order. I dislike this tremendously.

Laksa is not meant to be eaten this way. It is not the laksa of old.

Great laksa, of peranakan needs more lemak. I understand some folks still rave about Sungei Road laksa - I have tried many times and still think it is nothing great. There is not enough lemak. It is neither here nor there but it is just like a plain of laksa you can have in any hawker centre.

I am pondering if there is a great bowl of laksa in Singapore at least for my taste. Maybe I should go back and try claypot Depot Road laksa - I am not fan as I do not remember craving for it.

No interest in Nancy laksa - I think she has disregarded the traditions of laksa here.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do remember Nancy when she started in 49 that she did include hum. Go try the Roxy Laksa at East Coast Lagoon. Lemak still strong.

I have seen an anesthesiologist, Perak boy married to an Ang Mo who gets his fix when Nancy moved to 51 and the taste was still there. You might know this chap.

Last edited: