• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Riot breaks out in Little India

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/13/2013 20:36 | By Channel NewsAsia

Little India Service Centre to be set up to address concerns over riot

87DBAB63F7ADF6E5210519449D7.jpg

SINGAPORE: The Little India Shopkeepers and Heritage Association (LISHA) is setting up a service centre this weekend to engage stakeholders and visitors who may have concerns following the riot on Sunday, and over the ban of alcohol sales in the area.

The association said the Little India Service Centre will also collate feedback and suggestions to be considered by relevant authorities.

The centre will be located in Blk 668, Chander Road #01- 02, Singapore 210668, and will operate from 3pm to 11pm on Saturday, and from noon to 11pm on Sunday. - CNA/nd

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/13/2013 22:58 | By Channel NewsAsia

One more to be charged with rioting at Little India

847A4DF4F7799F5A214FED968D1B.jpg

SINGAPORE: Another person will be charged in relation to Sunday’s rioting incident at Little India.

In a statement on Friday, police said a 31-year-old Indian national has been arrested, and will be charged in court on Saturday with rioting under Section 147 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224.

So far, 31 persons have already been charged in relation to the riot.

If convicted, they could face the maximum punishment of seven years in jail and caning.

- CNA/nd

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/13/2013 22:56 | By Channel NewsAsia

Establishments begin preparations for weekend alcohol ban in Little India

87DBAB63F7ADF6E5210519449D7.jpg

SINGAPORE: The alcohol ban at Little India begins on Saturday and affected shops and hotels have begun preparations.

Several associations and a hotel Channel NewsAsia spoke to said that while it may be an inconvenience, they are taking the ban in their stride.

Three hundred and seventy-four establishments will be affected by the alcohol ban at Little India this weekend.

Some have begun making preparations by putting up signs informing customers that no alcohol will be sold.

Rajmohan, honorary secretary of the Indian Restaurants Association, said: "As an association, we have also sent out email reminders, and made telephone calls to tell them about this ban. They have put up notices at some of the restaurants to inform their customers.

“Restauranteurs generally feel a total ban may have been a bit extreme but they are supportive of the government's measures, and this being a temporary measure, they will abide by it this weekend.

“I think going forward, there will be a consultation process with the restauranteurs and the authorities and their views will be put forth."

Over at PARKROYAL Hotel, staff have begun removing alcohol from the minibars in its 534-rooms.

Notices have also been put up to inform guests about the ban.

Gary Moran, general manager of PARKROYAL on Kitchener Road, said: “My priority has been (communicating) to our guests and to be honest, they have been very understanding. People are aware of what happened last Sunday and whether people agree with the alcohol ban, I think it is what it is and we just have to get on with it.

“It may seem a little thing but we are expanding the mocktails that we offer in our bar and offering them at discounted prices. There are so many options within Singapore to get a drink so... it is an inconvenience, but it is not a major issue for the hotel."

And as an added measure this weekend, the Little India Shopkeepers and Heritage Association is also setting up a Little India Service Centre to answer questions and concerns of stakeholders and visitors to the area.

S R Gopal, vice-chairman of Little India Shopkeepers and Heritage Association, said: "We ex-police officers, retired police officers, including myself... will assist whoever comes here... the foreigners, the residents, the stakeholders. (If) any untoward situation arises, our centre officers can respond.”

The alcohol ban will last till Monday morning. - CNA/ms

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/13/2013 22:56 | By Channel NewsAsia

Migrant workers likely to stay away from Little India, say dormitories

438D4582EBE7D4CE4C8E038CCD855.jpg

SINGAPORE: After last Sunday's riot, migrant worker dormitories Channel NewsAsia spoke to say most of their residents are planning to stay away from Little India this weekend.

Migrant workers have been advised to stay in, or at least be away from Little India.

The temporary alcohol ban and stoppage of bus shuttle services are deterrents, though caution is a stronger reason.

"Everybody is scared to go there. We're all waiting for government instructions. I feel sad and angry also. Because Singapore law is very strict, we come here, make money, and follow the rules and regulations,” said Suresh Kumar, a driver.

"I'm building a house back home so I need to work for it. The riot has affected me emotionally. But the government is trying to improve the situation," said migrant worker Sudhakar.

"Suffering, yes suffering. But don’t know go where, cannot go out," stated Joga Rao, a welder.

Dormitory amenities like a remittance counter, an ATM, and a cafe offer residents some essential services. However, dormitory operators say it is neither realistic nor right to expect residents to stay in on their rest days in the long term.

Shaik Mohamed is a director at Mini Environment Service Group, which runs three dormitories including the Jurong Penjuru Dormitories 1 and 2.

“I would probably call it book-out mentality. After working for one whole week or five to six days, they naturally would like to go out, get some fresh air, and probably meet some of their friends from dormitories all over Singapore,” he said.

“I think telling the workers not to go to certain places is definitely infringing on their personal liberty. Probably advising them why we are telling them to avoid going there would be a better option."

For this weekend at least, there is entertainment around the corner as Sunday happens to be International Migrants' Day.

For migrant workers who want to stay away from Little India this weekend, the Penjuru Recreation Centre is an alternative spot, especially for those in the Jurong East area. Tents have been set up inside for a Sunday concert, featuring Bangladeshi and Tamil singers.

The programme runs from 2pm to 7pm and is co-organised by the Jurong Penjuru Dormitory and Migrant Workers' Centre. - CNA/ec

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Little India riot: Man says he is the 'hero' in video, but later retracts his claim

Published on Dec 13, 2013
By Walter Sim

TKRiotHero13122013e.jpg

An electrician stepped forward on Friday, Dec 13, 2013, claiming to be the valiant hero seen on camera trying to fend off two rioters who were attacking a bus during Sunday night's Little India fracas. -- ST PHOTO: WALTER SIM

An electrician stepped forward on Friday, claiming to be the valiant hero seen on camera trying to fend off two rioters who were attacking a bus during Sunday night's Little India fracas.

But by the end of the interview, as questions were raised over the authenticity of several points in the account, he denied that he was the hero as was filmed.

"This was the first time I saw such clear footage of the video," said Mr Thangaval Govindarasu, 38, from Chennai, India.

He added that he had called Tamil Murasu after he saw a screen capture of the man in a plaid shirt published in Thursday's newspaper, which he thought was him.

He then offered to wear the same shirt that he was wearing that evening, which bore more than a passing resemblance to that of the video - it was also checkered, but had smaller squares.

Despite retracting the claim, however, he insisted he was at the scene on Sunday, and that it was all a misunderstanding. He said that he had helped to ward off the rioters and assist the injured bus timekeeper, Madam Wong Geck Woon, to safety.

Mr Thangaval has been in Singapore for 11 years doing electrical work with CPN Engineer. He has a wife and a three-month-old daughter at home.

Speaking in rather fluent English, he said that he was alone that evening, eating at a restaurant along Dunlop Street when the violence erupted. He had gone to develop photographs of his daughter at a film studio in the vicinity.

But as he was walking to take a private bus back to his dormitory, NCL Housing at Yishun Avenue 6, the riot erupted after Mr Sakthivel Kumaravelu, 33, an Indian national construction worker was run down by a private bus operated by BT&Tan.

A sea of onlookers near the bus surged forward at the crushing sound of the accident, and began pelting stones, beer bottles and sticks at the vehicle's windscreen. Madam Wong was not spared from the attack.

Mr Thangaval said he saw Madam Wong crouching near the ground and shielding her face with her hands. "I could not control myself. I kept shouting at the crowd 'Let the policemen settle this', but they did not listen," he added.

"I was definitely scared, but I saw the girl and I wanted to remove the people from the girl. I thought to myself: 'What if this was my mother or my wife?' Too many angry people were there," he added.

After he ensured Madam Wong got to safety, he walked away uninjured, he said. He added that despite the burgeoning anger, nobody came after him for interfering.

He then boarded the private bus back to his Yishun dormitory, reaching home at about 10.30pm.

Mr Thangaval said he did not know of the search for the hero as he hardly has access to the newspapers. He had only come across the screen capture on Friday when his boss, upon reading the papers, had asked if he was the man in the picture. None of his friends had also asked him if he was the man in the video. He had said: "Yes."

He added that the police has not contacted him to give any statement of the scene.

The electrician visits Little India about once every two months, to remit money and to buy new clothes. He said he works six days a week, from 8am to 7pm every day, and saves enough to remit about $600 a month. He added that he calls home twice or three times daily.

"I chose to come to Singapore because it is a very safe place to work. The laws are also very strong," he said, adding that he approves of the move to ban alcohol in the wake of the riot.

Shopowners who have come forward to say that they recognise the man in the video denied that Mr Thangaval was the one.

Mr Mateen Ahmed, owner of coffee shop Spice Box, had said that it was the first time he had seen Mr Thangaval. He had earlier said that the man in the video was a regular customer from Chennai was around 35 years old, married and had a two-year-old daughter in India.

But Mr Mateen did not know his name nor his occupation, saying that they call each other 'Brother', and that he only packs food to go.

Mr Jagwinder Singh, manager of Jaggi's Authentic Punjabi Cuisine, too said it was "definitely not him", and that the man in the video has not been seen in the area ever since the incident.

"The man in the video is very nice and really friendly. He greets you, and I used to see him around four to five times a week, both on weekdays and weekends," said Mr Singh. "He is very civic-minded, and on Sundays I have seen him trying to break up minor scuffles that may occur, even if it is not his problem. Even if he has a few drinks, he won't cause any trouble."

Bus timekeeper Madam Grace Wong told The Straits Times that Mr Thangaval is of similar build to the man filmed in the video. But she is unable to ascertain whether he was there, because it was chaotic and her vision was blurry at the time.

She is sure, though, that Mr Thangaval is not the man in the video because her hero, she said, was injured in the incident's aftermath.

Sinkie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Vanakum, a thousand apologies, the man in the video is actually me, but I need to keep it low-profile. No interviews for me please.

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/14/2013 17:26 | By Channel NewsAsia

Police call on public to give Little India space and time to recover

E2575EB4B94BDA2B3D06BE31FBB9.jpg

SINGAPORE: Police have urged the public to allow the community in Little India the space and time to recover from the events of December 8.

They also advised the public that organising or taking part in a public assembly without a police permit is illegal.

The police issued the advisory on Saturday afternoon as an alcohol ban for the area takes effect this weekend.

The alcohol ban has been issued as part of measures to ensure calm in the wake of the riot in Little India last Sunday evening. - CNA/ac

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/15/2013 22:29 | By Channel NewsAsia

Scores of foreign workers skip Little India

BF315AACA6CE8D9A45B42A4D8E4B.jpg

SINGAPORE: Scores of foreign workers sought alternatives to a weekend jaunt at Little India on Sunday after the riot in the area last week.

Many of them opted to stay within their dormitories after they were advised to avoid going to Little India.

Activities were arranged to keep the workers occupied as they engaged in leisurely pursuits where they stayed.

For those who enjoy a song and dance, a concert to mark International Migrants Day brought foreign workers a piece of home away from home.

But there were those who preferred some peace and quiet, like Raj Manikandan.

The 32-year-old construction worker heads to Little India about once a month, mainly to remit earnings to his mother and two brothers back home in Tamil Nadu.

Like many of his peers, Raj was advised not to visit the area a week after the riot there.

He said the best time to go is during the weekdays where there are lesser people.

Raj spent Sunday catching up on the news back home.

Some of his peers chose to watch cricket while others took the time to get fit at the gym, or engaged in leisurely pursuits at their dormitories.

At one of the dormitory in Mandai, workers of different nationalities mix and engage in communal activities such as pool, carrom or even table tennis.

Elsewhere, shuttle service providers ferrying foreign workers to and from Jurong noticed a 10 per cent increase in passengers.

Some foreign workers took the chance to have a drink in the vicinity of Jurong Point mall with Little India being a non-alcohol zone for the weekend.

In addition, the Ang Mo Kio Police Division expanded its foreign worker engagement initiative to reach more people within its jurisdiction.

The initiative educates workers on community issues to raise awareness on crime prevention.

- CNA/fa

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/15/2013 20:21 | By Channel NewsAsia

Alcohol ban hits businesses in Little India

E99E194558BB8DC4ED5A43458AF0CE.jpg

SINGAPORE: Businesses in Little India have taken a hit since the alcohol ban was implemented on Saturday.

And it's not just affecting shops which sell liquor. Fruit and vegetable sellers are feeling the heat on the second day of the liquor ban in Little India.

One of the shops, Shahina Trading, saw a 40 per cent drop in business.

"Usually it's very crowded on Sundays and Saturdays. Today, very little are coming," said Jo Matthew, owner of Shahina Trading.

Others fruit and vegetable sellers in the vicinity shared the same sentiments.

Some shop owners said what concerned them most was the suspension of bus services which ferry workers into Little India as the workers make up the majority of their customer base.

These workers usually buy items such as food and other necessities.

Businesses licensed to sell alcohol were hit hard.

One shop owner said he suffered an 80 per cent loss in business on the first day of the liquor ban.

R.M. Suresh, managing director of Pamban Trading, said there were no customers, including locals, on Saturday.

On an average Sunday, Mr Suresh said he usually sees about 300 customers but he is doubtful that many will come, and is expecting a total loss of S$10,000 in takings for the weekend.

Restaurant Aromas of India said while it saw a 40 per cent drop in business on Saturday, the requests for home deliveries doubled.

On Saturday, the restaurant had 20 orders for home delivery, compared to an average of 10 to 13.

Foreign workers Channel NewsAsia spoke with said they only came to Little India to run errands or had prior commitments.

For now, shopkeepers are hoping to see their business pick up in the coming days.

- CNA/fa

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/15/2013 12:38 | By Channel NewsAsia

Calm continues into Sunday morning at Little India

FED95C3E8F88F6CCE73952E7884B4B.jpg

SINGAPORE: Calm has continued from Saturday into Sunday morning at Little India.

In a statement on Sunday morning, police said as of 10am, no incidents were reported at Little India.

No breaches of an alcohol ban were detected and no one was caught for consuming alcohol in the public places in the area, police said.

The alcohol ban for Little India was issued for this weekend as part of measures to ensure calm in the wake of the riot there last Sunday evening. - CNA/ec

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/16/2013 00:15 | By Channel NewsAsia

Memorial mass held for foreign worker who died in Little India

89A883ABBFD8225A2A4AFA8CA2AF.jpg

SINGAPORE: The Church of Our Lady of Lourdes on Sunday evening held a memorial service for the foreign worker whose death as a result of a traffic accident triggered the Little India riot last week.

Locals and foreigners gathered at the church to pray for the late Mr Sakthivel and his family.

The church, which has strong links with the Indian migrant worker community, also collected a donation from attendees for Mr Sakthivel's family.

"We are saddened at Sakthivel's death at the age of 33," said parish priest Father Augustine Joseph.

He added: "And as you know that he came to work in Singapore to feed his family. Now that he is gone and so this evening's memorial service is for his soul and for the well-being of his family."

- CNA/fa

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/16/2013 10:29 | By Channel NewsAsia

Police to review longer-term measures for Little India

629A1DA35E6AE2E4E74262CDAE8EFA.jpg

SINGAPORE: Singapore's police are reviewing longer-term measures for Little India following a calm weekend with no incidents reported.

In a statement on Monday, police said they will take into consideration the situation in Little India over the past two days and the interests of all affected stakeholders.

Details will be announced in due course.

The statement also said no incidents were reported over the weekend, and there were no breaches of the alcohol ban over the two days.

The sale and consumption of alcohol were prohibited on December 14 to 15 in the proclaimed areas of Little India under the Public Order (Preservation) Act.

The ban was among the measures taken to ensure calm following the riot at Little India on the night of December 8. - CNA/al

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/16/2013 20:22 | By Channel NewsAsia

One more to be charged over Little India riot

F787717156ED2BF4BCC4C8C7B9F50.jpg

SINGAPORE: Another person will be charged in relation to the rioting incident at Little India on December 8.

In a statement on Monday, police said that a 41-year-old Indian national has been arrested and will be charged in court on Tuesday afternoon with rioting, under Section 147 of the Penal Code, Chapter 224.

So far, 33 persons have already been charged in relation to the riot.

The riot, the first in over four decades, broke out after a fatal bus accident at the junction of Race Course Road and Hampshire Road.

Some 400 people were involved in the riot. - CNA/ac

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/16/2013 22:16 | By Channel NewsAsia

MPs call for restrictions near homes instead of imposing blanket alcohol ban

E99E194558BB8DC4ED5A43458AF0CE.jpg

SINGAPORE: Two Members of Parliament said there is no need for a total alcohol ban at Little India.

But the ban, they say, should remain in public areas near homes.

The cooling measures last weekend had worked to curb common problems faced by residents in Little India – there was no littering, no noise pollution, and no reports of drunks.

MP for Moulmein-Kallang GRC Denise Phua said: "The root cause (of the problems) is a big congregation (of people) coming together. Not all will create riots but there will be some who invariably create… issues, so solving it at the root cause is important.

"I think it's only fair that the common living areas of the residents, for example the playground, are reserved for the residents and visitors' communal living."

MP for Sembawang GRC Vikram Nair has suggested banning drinking in public areas.

Mr Nair, who is also a member of the Government Parliamentary Committee for Home Affairs and Law, said: “I think some of the things that might work would be the places where people can consume alcohol, which areas they don't mind people drinking in, and which areas you definitely don't want them in.

"Countries like the UK, Australia and so on, they prohibit drinking along the streets, so these are different measures you can do that are sort of intermediate without a complete ban.”

There are also suggestions to have foreign workers meet in places which are away from residential areas.

Ms Phua said: "Who says there needs to be only one Little India in the whole of Singapore, or Little Thailand or China? We could think about creating some of these meeting places away from the residents and allow for the recreational and social needs of the workers to be addressed."

Police said they are reviewing the longer-term measures for Little India for the coming weekend and beyond.

They said they have considered factors like the situation in Little India over the last weekend, and the interests of all affected parties.

Police said more details of the measures will be announced soon. - CNA/gn

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore to deport South Asian workers involved in riot

AFP
December 18, 2013, 12:17 am

62cbab60d99c2d1b31dead57bb6754cf2e42e6bd-19b0k7e.jpg

Singapore (AFP) - Singapore said Tuesday it will deport 53 South Asian workers and pursue criminal charges against 28 others for involvement in the city-state's first riot in more than four decades.

"We have taken strong and decisive action to charge and to repatriate those who took part in the riot to send a strong signal that we will not tolerate actions by anyone which threaten law and order in Singapore," Home Affairs Minister Teo Chee Hean told a news conference.

The riot on December 8 by hundreds of South Asian workers has forced the tightly controlled city-state to examine how it deals with the presence of nearly a million low-paid foreign workers, who drive its economic growth.

The rampage, which erupted after an Indian man was killed by a bus in a district known as Little India, saw 39 people injured, including police officers, and 25 vehicles destroyed.

Fifty-two of the 53 men being deported are Indian nationals and one is a Bangladeshi, said police commissoner Ng Joo Hee.

They were hauled up on Tuesday morning and will be deported after travel and administrative arrangements are settled, he said.

The 28 men facing rioting charges remain in police custody pending further investigations and can face seven years in jail plus caning if found guilty.

Seven Indian nationals who had previously been charged were released Tuesday after charges were withdrawn.

The Ministry of Home Affairs said in a statement that investigations showed the 28 facing charges were involved in "acts of violence, damage to property, defying police orders, or inciting others to do so".

The men being deported failed to disperse despite police orders, and threatened public order, "making their continued presence in Singapore undesirable," it said.

About 200 others who were at the scene of the riot but whose involvement was deemed to be "relatively passive" will be handed "formal advisories" by the police.

"No further action will be taken against them and they will be allowed to remain and work in Singapore, so long as they continue to abide by our laws," the ministry said.

The riot was Singapore's second incident involving a large group of foreign workers in the past year.

In November 2012, 171 Chinese bus drivers stopped work to demand better wages and living conditions -- the first industrial strike in the city-state since 1986.

Five of the drivers served jail terms after the strike was declared illegal, while 29 others were deported without trial.

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/17/2013 13:24 | By Channel NewsAsia

35th man to be charged over Little India riot

SINGAPORE: Police have arrested a 35-year-old Indian national in relation to the riot in Little India in the evening of December 8.

In a statement on Tuesday, police said the man will be charged in court in the afternoon with the offence of rioting.

He will be the 35th person to be charged in connection with the riot. - CNA/al

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/17/2013 16:44 | By Channel NewsAsia

53 to be repatriated for role in Little India riot

6FFC7871C7D37D2DC8C749A824446.jpg

SINGAPORE: Singapore police said they rounded up an additional 53 people in connection with the Little India riot on Tuesday morning.

They comprise 52 Indian nationals and a Bangladeshi national.

At a news conference on Tuesday afternoon, police also said they have withdrawn the charges against seven of the 35 Indian nationals charged with rioting in Little India on December 8.

The other 28 remain charged with rioting. They are accused of playing an active role in the incident.

Chairing the news conference, Deputy Prime Minister Teo Chee Hean said the 53 people were identified to have taken part in the riot, and to have failed to obey police orders to disperse.

Mr Teo, who is also Coordinating Minister for National Security and Home Affairs Minister, said the response of the 53 people makes their continued presence in Singapore "undesirable".

Those workers will be repatriated once outstanding matters such as the issuance of their salary and other administrative matters have been settled.

During this period, the Indian and Bangladeshi High Commissions have full consular access to the individuals.

Some 200 other South Asian workers who were also present at the scene will be issued police advisories.

No further actions will be taken against them -- they will be allowed to stay on to work as police have determined their involvement at the riot to be "relatively passive".

As for the traffic accident that sparked the riot, police commissioner Ng Joo Hee said investigations are ongoing.

He also said police are taking extra care with the case as it was a trigger for the riot.

So police have also appointed an independent expert in accident reconstruction to work on the case.

They are also expected to provide updates midweek on the temporary alcohol ban for Little India and the suspension of private transport services there during the weekend. - CNA/nd

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/17/2013 18:56 | By Channel NewsAsia

Little India riot: Charges against 7 men withdrawn

SINGAPORE: Seven Indian nationals charged with rioting at Little India on December 8 had the charges against them withdrawn on Tuesday.

This is after the prosecution applied to the court for the seven charges to be dropped, after police investigations pertaining to them were completed.

The seven men, aged between 22 and 45, initially faced one rioting charge each.

The 22-year-old, who is the youngest of all accused persons in the case, was previously alleged to have thrown a dustbin at the bus involved in the fatal accident which apparently sparked the riot.

He was also alleged to have used a wooden stick to smash the bus windscreen and thrown items, like a metal drain, at the vehicle.

The other six men were previously accused of throwing concrete pieces at the police officers.

The seven men were released past 7pm on Tuesday. And six employers were present to meet their workers.

Only 45-year-old Sellamuthu Elangovan headed back alone.

He declined to be interviewed, and nodded when asked if he felt relieved.

Mr Thiyagaraja, site manager of Kong Hwee Iron Works & Construction, told Channel NewsAsia he is happy that his worker, Mr Selvarasu Dhanapal has been cleared of the charges.

25-year-old Mr Selvarasu hugged Mr Thiyagaraja upon his release.

Mr Thiyagaraja said Mr Selvarasu's brother is in Singapore and that his family was not informed of his arrest.

He added that Mr Selvarasu will meet up with his brother to tell them more about the incident.

During Tuesday's court session, prosecutor John Lu asked for another 23 men to be remanded further to help with police investigations.

Of those, two men were charged on Tuesday, while the other 21 men had their charges read out last week.

Several of those who are to be remanded further had also brought up allegations of police abuse or said they were innocent.

District Judge Lim Tse Haw had explained that they can make a report about the alleged abuse if they wished to.

The court also heard that the Indian High Commission is liaising with the accused persons to provide assistance.

The latest development leaves the cases of another five accused to be heard in the next two days.

This brings the total number of people charged, including those whose charges were withdrawn, to 35.

If convicted of rioting, each accused person can be jailed up to seven years and caned. - CNA/nd

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/17/2013 21:51 | By Channel NewsAsia

Alcohol consumption ban in Little India to continue

6B57BB93A6FE347EC756289ABACA6.jpg

SINGAPORE: The ban on alcohol consumption in public places in Little India that was in force last weekend will continue this weekend, said Second Minister for Home Affairs S Iswaran.

More details will be announced by the police on Wednesday.

Mr Iswaran said police are also working out details with affected businesses on whether alcohol will be allowed to be sold in Little India this weekend.

He revealed this during a visit on Tuesday evening to the Jurong Penjuru Dormitory 2.

Mr Iswaran said longer-term measures to be taken will be based on the findings of the Committee of Inquiry tasked to look into the Little India riot.

He added that the enforcement action taken so far was to ensure that safety and security are preserved.

Mr Iswaran said his visit to the dormitory on Tuesday evening was to reassure foreign workers that the authorities are only targeting offenders who break the law.

He said: "We do recognise that the vast majority of foreign workers in Singapore are law-abiding individuals. They are here to earn an honest living to help their families back home, so we respect that. We also value their contributions to Singapore.

“So the actions taken should be seen in the right context. The enforcement action is dealt to individuals who perpetrated offences under the Penal Code." - CNA/ir/nd

Heaven

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Updated: 12/17/2013 17:59 | By Channel NewsAsia

Pro bono counsel to be assigned to Little India riot suspects

8996C8AD159AD1D144775A217653A.jpg

SINGAPORE: The Law Society of Singapore is processing applications for pro bono legal representation from those charged in relation with the Little India riot on December 8.

In a statement on Tuesday afternoon, the society said it has collated a list of volunteer lawyers to provide legal representation in the matter.

It also said it will assign pro bono defence counsel for successful applicants as soon as possible.

Chairman of Law Society's Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (CLAS) Abraham Vergis said: "CLAS lawyers have stepped up to offer free legal representation, not only for the accused in this Little India riot, but on a daily basis whenever people accused of crimes do not have the means to pay for a lawyer to defend them."

Set up in 1985, CLAS provides pro bono legal representation to accused persons charged with prescribed non-capital criminal offences, said the statement. - CNA/gn