• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Review Of Pension For Civil Servants?

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: It's A Sham !

No, it more the loss of Pension. OSA covers Official Secrets. You simply cannot charge anyone in court for OSA unless the item revealed is actually a secret.

I can see a pensioner losing his pension if he is convicted for violation of OSA..unless on very solid grounds, the govt cant take a pension at their whims and fancy

MightyMouse

Alfrescian
Loyal

The threat of double jeopardy on the civil servant is very real. If you commit a mistake, you may be punish for the offence and could also be asked to leave the service. If you are on pension service or waiting for a huge amount as gratuity (like those in the uniformed services), the loss of the pension or retirement savings can be far higher than the actual punishment.

Due to this fear, you find that senior civil servants tend to become more and more conservative as they near retirement age. They rather err on the side of omission i.e., doing nothing, then to take some risks which may or may not pay off. This debilitating fear is real and affects decision making....

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal

Due to this fear, you find that senior civil servants tend to become more and more conservative as they near retirement age. They rather err on the side of omission i.e., doing nothing, then to take some risks which may or may not pay off. This debilitating fear is real and affects decision making....

exactly. why should they do work and risk forfeiting their pension when they can do nothing and get their pension?

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why should they risk it when the average sinkie in the street are indifferent and selfish. These sinkies wouldn't even bat an eyelid, much less stand up for those who take risk to make life better for them. Therefore life goes on, status quo........sinkies just keep their balls in the closet and whine.

maybe these are older civil servants..but there is nothing the govt can do if they speak the truth against the pap

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Pensions are not exactly a perk for these highly marketable and valuable people. Its a handcuff

that's true. i heard it is not easy to get rid of deadwood who are on pension scheme..

Deadwood comes in many forms. I was referring to the upper echelon. The lower chaps don't command 1st class world class salaries and perks, so I am leaving them out for this discussion.

When I reflect on upper echelon chaps on 'deadwood' status, I am constantly reminded of DOGS. Let me explain. When our designated officers from various dog units (Police, CNB, Customs, SAF) go overseas to buy dogs (security, detection, etc), they will make a careful observation on the dogs for sale. They are known to visit China, US, Australia, NZ and European nations for this purpose.

Having observed the dogs' temperament etc for days, a decision will be made. These dogs will then fly into S'pore. Once landed, the same process is done again - observation for change in behavior and temperament. Some dogs may behave differently once they arrive at a new destination. If these dogs exhibit a different 'character profile' from earlier observation, they will be auctioned off.

Is there a similar process for these super scholars? Or is the civil service stuck with them coz lanlan. These deadwood scholars would have gone overseas for 5-6 years on taxpayers' $ for their first degree and later, a masters degree. A dog is surely not as fortunate as our deadwood scholars.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

exactly. why should they do work and risk forfeiting their pension when they can do nothing and get their pension?

My ex-boss once told me never to approve anything new. Just reject and reject. Why? Coz rejecting anything new carries no risk! By accepting proposed changes, if something goes wrong, heads will roll if lucky. Otherwise kena chopped chopped chopped. Or tok tok tok.

HedgeTrader

Alfrescian
Loyal

They should refund the fucking kelong pension. Those above 55 take salary plus pension so many years KNN

Conqueror

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hitler Is Smiling

hitler.jpg

They should refund the fucking kelong pension. Those above 55 take salary plus pension so many years KNN

So, how many years already ? 'Leegalised' by the fascist leader. And his law says, "Your money is mine. And my money is still mine. Suckers !"

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal

My ex-boss once told me never to approve anything new. Just reject and reject. Why? Coz rejecting anything new carries no risk! By accepting proposed changes, if something goes wrong, heads will roll if lucky. Otherwise kena chopped chopped chopped. Or tok tok tok.

lol that is a funny story! unlike in private sector where new means nobody there yet and therefore market dominance before others!

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal

the irony of the pension scheme. it keeps the useless deadwood, and the smart better ones would have left much earlier.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lol that is a funny story! unlike in private sector where new means nobody there yet and therefore market dominance before others!

Civil service is the opposite of private sector. In the case of the latter, if one employs the status quo, might as well not hire him. A person in the private sector is there to think out-of-the-box, be innovative etc and generating more revenue is cardinal.

The civil service breeds complacency and laziness. If don't implement anything new, don't do work, how to go wrong? That's why lau chiaus will caution you, 'ah tee ah, khiang to hoe, mie kay khiang hor'.

TracyTan866

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The proposed removal of pension for new political appointees by the Ministers' salary Review Committee is a right recommendation.

Will PSD now look into removing the pension scheme for the Admin Service, Judiciary Appointees, etc?

Finally, it came as predicted ...Pension is removed:

"SINGAPORE – Pensions will be removed and GDP Bonus to be replaced by National Bonus following review of salaries of the Administrative Service, judiciary and statutory appointment holders by the Public Service Division (PSD).

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister-in-Charge of the Civil Service, Teo Chee Hean said PSD has completed its review and it has concluded that the currently salaries are at about the right level and will be maintained.

He said this means there is no need to raise them or cut them.

However, there would be some adjustments to certain salary ranges and start points to smoothen out salary progression.

But two structural changes would be made to the salary framework.

Firstly, pensions will be removed.

In its place, a long-term retention package for the administrative service to retain officers for leadership and policy continuity within the public service.

For the judicial and statutory appointment holders, a gratuity plan will be introduced.

Secondly, the Gross Domestic Product Bonus (GDP Bonus) currently received by the officers and appointment holders would be replaced with the National Bonus, similar to that for political appointment holders.

The National Bonus is linked to the socio-economic progress of average and lower-income citizens, and the growth of Singapore.

Mr Teo told the House that the government will continue to regularly review the salaries of the administrative service and judicial and statutory appointment holders to ensure that they remained competitive."

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
SINGAPORE – Pensions will be removed and GDP Bonus to be replaced by National Bonus following review of salaries of the Administrative Service, judiciary and statutory appointment holders by the Public Service Division (PSD).

ok, one question answered.