• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Retrenchment benefit

doublechin38

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi

My wife working for her company for 5 yrs, and there is talk of retrenchment.

Is retrenchment benefit of one month's pay for one year 's service an entitlement?

and what are the usual benefits if any?

any recourse?

thx

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Read dish...

http://www.mom.gov.sg/publish/mompo...tandards/the_employment_act/Retrenchment.html

Retrenchment Benefits

Under the Employment Act, an employee who has been employed in a company for at least three years can request for retrenchment benefits if he/she is retrenched.

As the law does not stipulate the quantum to be paid, the amount is subject to negotiation between the employee and employer. The quantum will also depend on the company's financial position.

An employee who has worked less than three years in a company is not entitled to retrenchment benefits under the Employment Act. However, the company may pay an ex-gratia payment at its discretion.

Both retrenchment benefits and ex-gratia payments do not attract CPF contributions.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi

Is retrenchment benefit of one month's pay for one year 's service an entitlement?

any recourse?

thx

Unless there is a company policies handbook attached to the contract stating the obvious terms and conditions. How much an organisation wants to compensate is not an obligation but out of good will.

Alfrescian
Loyal
Check on her employment letter, whether it was stated. Chances are half month for one year. Lucky if one month per year.

kaipoh

Alfrescian
Loyal
LSY got $3.0 mil from telcom before retrench , how can Mdm Ho get lesser. wayang again wtf

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When retrenchment fever 1st started in 1997 the package for big MNC retrenchment benefit average is about 1.5month pay/year of service. Few years ago benefit slowly reduce to 1 month pay/1 year of service.
For current situation more likely will be less than 1 month pay/year. Maybe will be half month pay/1 year. Or worst is none if company bankrupt.

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi

any recourse?

thx

Depends on the company. I remembered my company when it closed down its factory, it had to retrench the staff. The staff were paid about 1month for each year of service. Get your wife to go through her employment letter. If nothing is mentioned in the letter, then I guess employment law will come in. Check with MOM in that case.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
no laws to state they must give compensation

so if they gave nothing, there is nothing you can do.

it is much the same even in EU, USA etc.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi

any recourse?

thx
Employees entitled to retrenchment after 3 years of service but quantum not specified. Good companies 1mth or more for each year of service. Most companies 0.5. There is always a cap - 10 years, 5 years etc.

No company mentions retrenchment in the job agreement or appointment letter. I will be surprised if a company does.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi

any recourse?

thx

CHINA IS DA BEST!

IF YOU WORK FOR 30 YEARS IN THE SAME CO, COMMUNIST MAH, CANNOT ANYHOW CHANGE JOBS, AND YOU KENA RETRENCHED, YOU GET 30 YEARS x MONTHLY PAY. THAT AMOUNTS TO FEW HUNDRED THOUSANDS RMBs.

ON TOP OF THAT, YOU GET PENSIONS AND MEDICAL BENEFITS PROVIDED BY THE STATE, INCREMENTING EVERY YEAR.

SHIOK RIGHT!