• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Replacing home lighting with LEDs?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
bluish white light (cool white) does not disperse light efficiently as yellowish white light (warm white).

Right now I am using white fluorescent lighting & not yellow light because I prefer the white light. Is this harmful to one's eyes:confused:
Or is does it only apply to LEDs:confused:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
The older LEDs were not very bright but I'm looking at the newer ones & from I've seen they are bright enough.
Just never thought about looking at Ikea for LED lighting.

Yes they are brighter now, but their consumption is about the same as energy saving lights, so not much savings, 20,000 hour life? Yet to be proven.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes they are brighter now, but their consumption is about the same as energy saving lights, so not much savings, 20,000 hour life? Yet to be proven.

Some people have pointed to the reliability & expense of replacing the ballast used by LEDs. However I expect prices to fall especially with ikea & Philips getting involved.
If LED bulbs can maintain a constant level of brightness for at least 5 years then it's enough for me:smile:

The current low energy bulbs may last a long time but they become dimmer over time & you really have to replace them before they fail

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
At the current prices, LED lightings are still not cost effective as compared to those fluorescent energy saving bulbs. Furthermore, those E27 fluorescent energy saving bulbs come with built-in electronic ballasts, which are also more energy efficient and will last a long time.

Electrical consumption wise, LED bulbs may save about 30% but they lack the equivalent brightness against those fluorescent energy saving bulbs.

I had used some LED lightings in my halls, but find them unsatisfactory in brightness. Probably it'll take another 2 or 3 years for their prices to come down much further (to justify going fully LED) and also to improve on their brightness efficacy. Until then, my main source of lighting will still be fluorescent energy saving bulbs. LED lightings play only as a secondary lighting, eg: for backlighting (indoor) and fence/gardening illumination (outdoor) where brightness is not a demand.

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I was in Batam & looking around a store Called Ace at Nagoya Hill. For those not familiar with this store named Ace, it has many stores throughout Indonesia & they carry all kinds of products for the home & businesses. They also OEM many well known products & put their own house branding named Kris.

http://acehardware.co.id/

Well I saw LED bulbs selling there. There were 2 in a package selling for !30,000 rupiah. At an exchange rate of SIN$1 = 9,200 rupiah, that would be $14.10 for 2 pcs of 7 watt LED bulbs. Each of these 7 watt LED light bulbs is suppose to be equivalent to a 60 watt light bulb & rated to last 40,000 hours.

These LED bulbs had the same form factor as those old screw on bulbs i.e E27 lamp base. I didn't get any because I'm not using anything with a E27 lamp base so can't say how bright the bulbs are.

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
think must really change my house lighting to LED...
knn nowadays bill so expensive...

the bill is expensive is not because of switching on aircon or a few lights.
is because of various tax.
like you spend $1 on water. they tax you water conservation tax of 20%...so become $1.20, then retax you again on GST become $1.30....where on earth got double tax one?
is like charging a nsf 1 mth DB..then come out jail him another 1 mth..so you think can save or not

cunnosieur

Alfrescian
Loyal
I use PHILIPS 6W bulbs for toilets. For bedroom, hall and kitchen I use 10W bulbs.

Recommend you get 10W or the newer 13W for larger areas and brightness.

I have converted to LED bulbs for 1yr+ and so far, no problems at all, and the bills are much lighter. Get inverter types for your air con and refrigerator too it helps.

JossSticksCandleWax

Alfrescian
Loyal
Because the fucking pappies made the cost of living so high, poor citizens have to spend money to switch from fluorescent to LED.

Fuck PAP :oIo:

Pls don't thank me for politicising this thread.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
the bill is expensive is not because of switching on aircon or a few lights.
is because of various tax.
like you spend $1 on water. they tax you water conservation tax of 20%...so become $1.20, then retax you again on GST become $1.30....where on earth got double tax one?
is like charging a nsf 1 mth DB..then come out jail him another 1 mth..so you think can save or not

Some claim that the PAP has done a good job. I think otherwise. All you need to do is to look at the $$$ they charge for services like road use, public transportation, utilities,...

It is a form of extra & indirect taxation:eek:

Last edited:

ykhuser

Alfrescian
Loyal
using leds is like using solar panel to generate something useful for you.
they take 10 over years to see saving. when you around 7 years..going to break even..new technology came to replace led....maybe call LcheebyD. so you invested again on LcheebyD. the cycle goes on. LpussyD replaced LcheebyD

Last edited: