• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Renovation to your homes

Grago

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Need some design advice on grills.

Thanks Grago for recommending Chong for electrical work. I have used his service recently and find him very detailed & knowledgable. Price is reasonable too. Thumbs up!
Your welcome, sorry did not reply sooner. Yes he' very good and sometimes "read minds...":biggrin: glad I could be of help and you liked hs work....

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi guys, can I ask a general question on how much the overall renovation cost you? This includes furnishing, electrical appliances and renovation works.

Would RM 150K be enough for a double storey terrace? Money no enuff......haha.....Thanks.

Last edited:

Lyc396

Alfrescian
Loyal

No problem to reply late as long as u see it :wink: yes, I am satisfied with his service but yet to pay him the remaining sum for his work. Haha. Doing so next weekend.

Your welcome, sorry did not reply sooner. Yes he' very good and sometimes "read minds...":biggrin: glad I could be of help and you liked hs work....

inlinev4

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was hoping less than Rm80k can do reasonably sufficient that include wardrobe, kitchen cabineta, a little wall deco for tv & curtain/blinds etc.

May include some diy stuff to save cost.

Of course no Id involved !

lakeview

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hi guys, can I ask a general question on how much the overall renovation cost you? This includes furnishing, electrical appliances and renovation works.

Would RM 150K be enough for a double storey terrace? Money no enuff......haha.....Thanks.

If you didn't do any hacking on flooring & no extention, 150k should be just enough for furnishing of whole house inclusive of 4 rooms & general appliances & some landscaping of garden.

Lyc396

Alfrescian
Loyal

Just to share with u my costs so far.

Electrical work at rm5400
Lights and 4 water heaters with pump should be less than rm3000 (mainly using ikea lights on sales)
5 single spilt aircon unit at rm6000 (included living hall)
Kitchen cabinet by classy kitchen at rm4100
Window grille and gate for whole house at rm3500

I have bought sanitary accessories, bed frames, electrical goods etc during sales. This is a weekend home and my budget should not exceed more than rm30,000.

crystal_tiong

Alfrescian
Loyal

wow 150k is a lot. i intend to spend not more than 80k .... electricals and furnishing items can slowly buy ....

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Rm150k shd be very enough, I estimate to spend no more than Rm100k, all inclusive.

Narmi

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bros n sis

How abt paintng? U leave it in its original color or diy? I dun tink mine can diy the paintng. COs will make me break my back. 3 lvl with abt 6 rms not including living rm kitchen etc i can faint kekeke

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bros n sis

How abt paintng? U leave it in its original color or diy? I dun tink mine can diy the paintng. COs will make me break my back. 3 lvl with abt 6 rms not including living rm kitchen etc i can faint kekeke

I estimate Rm4k for painting (interior only), Rm2k for labour and Rm2k for buying paint.

jasonjst

Alfrescian
Loyal

I know many of you new owners of houses in Nusajaya would have been approached by salesman who help to install a device to reduce your electricity bills ( up to 90% ). In Malaysia it is very common but my advice to you is not to make your bills too cheap. If your actual usage is supposed to be RM 1000, just make it RM 80 or so and pay it since you are saving RM 920 a month. Too cheap ( RM 15 monthly ) and the authorties could suspect. Dont worry, many many owners ( easily in the tens of thousands ) have installed the device and even if you are caught, u can bribe the TNB boy. Welcome to Malaysia.

Wow Lau , like this also can !

Stevewish

Alfrescian
Loyal
electrical

I know many of you new owners of houses in Nusajaya would have been approached by salesman who help to install a device to reduce your electricity bills ( up to 90% ). In Malaysia it is very common but my advice to you is not to make your bills too cheap. If your actual usage is supposed to be RM 1000, just make it RM 80 or so and pay it since you are saving RM 920 a month. Too cheap ( RM 15 monthly ) and the authorties could suspect. Dont worry, many many owners ( easily in the tens of thousands ) have installed the device and even if you are caught, u can bribe the TNB boy. Welcome to Malaysia.

These devices work effectively on inductive load esp motors in fridge, aircon, washing machine. i doubt the saving can be 90% as it can't really match exactly the type of load. It is tuned to typical setting.

Iphone5

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: electrical

There are two types. One is cheaper whch saves 80% and the other saves 90%. Almost all my customers use that. I hardly gt any local customers whose bills exceed RM 100 even though they turn on their 5-10 aircons for many hours daily.

These devices work effectively on inductive load esp motors in fridge, aircon, washing machine. i doubt the saving can be 90% as it can't really match exactly the type of load. It is tuned to typical setting.

iamapseudoneem

Alfrescian
Loyal

I am curious how to approach doing renovation in stages. What I mean is we talk about the fact that we have freehold property and can take the time to tackle renovation slowly. My impression is once we start having furniture in the house and moved in it would be a major hassle to do renovations. How can an owner approach renovation works so that it minimizes disruptions when already living in? Here's what I have so far:

1. Any job requiring hacking of walls and tiles (e.g extending kitchen, change to bigger shinier tiles, tear down dividing walls). Includes replacing doors, windows and grills.
2. Laminate flooring.
3. Paint jobs (internal and external)
4. Changing fixtures (e.g. bathroom taps) and building in-built furniture (kitchen cabinets 1st then display cabinets, wardrobe etc.).
5. Buy furniture (sofas, TV sets)
6. Change fencing and gate
7. Landscaping.

Would that be a feasible approach? Is there some steps I missed? Can any of the steps (esp. step 1) be broken down even further? I'd like to know so I don't rush to commit myself to renovation works and spread out the costs a little better.
If this has been discussed please inform me thanks!

Last edited:

Taryn

Alfrescian
Loyal

I want to design & renovate my own home and those are pretty much my mental steps as well. But it will be great if someone who has actually done up their house tell us if these steps are feasible .

My differences from your steps will be

- after step 1 ( hacking) to do electrical wirings as step 2

- to do painting, cornices and trims before flooring
why: Because I have heard many horror stories about how painting contractors do not take care of the laminated flooring and end up there are scratches and paint splatters everywhere. Even if they cover the flooring, it's still very easy to scratch flooring.

I am curious how to approach doing renovation in stages. What I mean is we talk about the fact that we have freehold property and can take the time to tackle renovation slowly. My impression is once we start having furniture in the house and moved in it would be a major hassle to do renovations. How can an owner approach renovation works so that it minimizes disruptions when already living in? Here's what I have so far:

1. Any job requiring hacking of walls and tiles (e.g extending kitchen, change to bigger shinier tiles, tear down dividing walls). Includes replacing doors, windows and grills.
2. Laminate flooring.
4. Changing fixtures (e.g. bathroom taps) and building in-built furniture (kitchen cabinets 1st then display cabinets, wardrobe etc.).
7. Landscaping.

Would that be a feasible approach? Is there some steps I missed? Can any of the steps (esp. step 1) be broken down even further? I'd like to know so I don't rush to commit myself to renovation works and spread out the costs a little better.

RedsYNWA

Alfrescian
Loyal

Bros n sis

I have heard that usually, the original paint is of poor quality 1. Need to repaint using higher grade paint that can last longer....

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal

2. Laminate flooring.
7. Landscaping.

Before doing hacking - for wiring - already need to firm up the built-in cabinet contractor so that he can do the cabinet drawing and marking of the exact location of the power point for the wiring man to do the hacking. Eg marking the location of power point for built in oven.