• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Recommend fishing Rod and Reel?

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi Joe, u can get Ricky(the 7sea conqueress), Ah jiang(sportfisher88), John(rico2).

Pooled money with my old pals a few times to chartered 7 Sea Conqueress for Horsbugh.. Good service by Ricky Tan... Had many satisying trips aboard his boat.. One of the best in Spore..

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Just borrow a rod and reel and the rest of the stuff take from the kakis since you know little about fishing. Later if the sport is something you do often because you like it then invest. Spending money for a one trip is not worth the money if you throw the rod and reel in the store room never to use it again. Trust me in this as I spend thousands on fishing and I know how crazy one can be about it. Some people do not like kelong fishing as it is boring whilst others like to spend time and money on it. As an avid fisherman, I would rather go market and buy the fish rather than the kelong as it is boring for me. Take your time learning what fishing is all about before spending is my advice.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Hi Joe, u can get Ricky(the 7sea conqueress), Ah jiang(sportfisher88), John(rico2). I usually go 4 the 3d2n trips which can cost $2700 to $4200 n it's for a group of 10 anglers. Sorry, I dun hve their contact numbers as most of the trips are arranged by my kakis. U can get more info fr fishingkaki.com...1st of all, dun hve to buy high-end gears n only commit if u tink tis is a hobby for life! High-end reels like the Shimano Stellas n Daiwa Saltigas can cost $1300 per piece. Rods like Carpenters, Zenaqs n JMs are high-end rods....errrrh, they are such a attractive item to own!

Pooled money with my old pals a few times to chartered 7 Sea Conqueress for Horsbugh.. Good service by Ricky Tan... Had many satisying trips aboard his boat.. One of the best in Spore..

Thank you mako65 & zeddy. It was very informative at least I now know where to start.

I actually live in Bangkok permanently and goes back Singapore once a while so I thought I might do a fishing trip the next time. I guess Thailand do have many good spots again I don't know where to start.

Z

Zombie

anyone who is interested in the fun/kick of fishing, should go for ultralight fishing gear :cool:

anyone who is interested in the fish, should go to the wet market :biggrin:

anyone who is interested in fishing gears, should marry the daughter of a fishing shop owner :biggrin:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wow.. so many fishing kakis here.... anyone want to go desaru for day trip?

Would love to go but busy with work... Sometimes just for fun, I would go with my bro in law on his small boat and fish on the waters of Changi Hyundai... The catch so and so..

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry re-post
For a start, u can goto Bungsamrun freshwater fishing pond(abt 1hr plus or 2 by taxi) fr Bangkok! Cheap n enjoyable with lotsa giant catfishes n if u're lucky, u hook up the rare giant Siamese carp! Wow, out-station in Bangkok is the real deal, better than the mundane lifestyle here! Hahaha...

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
For a start, u can goto Bungsamrun freshwater fishing pond(abt 1hr plus or 2 by taxi) fr Bangkok! Cheap n enjoyable with lotsa giant catfishes n if u're lucky, u hook up the rare giant Siamese carp! Wow, out-station in Bangkok is the real deal, better than the mundane lifestyle here! Hahaha...

Hey you're familiar with Thailand too. If have tips please share. I'm not really out-station here. I live here because office & factory here. Should be here for a very long haul. Nothing in Singapore now and no intention to have.

mako65

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey you're familiar with Thailand too. If have tips please share. I'm not really out-station here. I live here because office & factory here. Should be here for a very long haul. Nothing in Singapore now and no intention to have.
Used to go for some fishing n fun during my singlehood but can't go there w/o my smart little princess now! Try to high stick ya quarry over there cos those giants like to go under the jetty when hooked!

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Used to go for some fishing n fun during my singlehood but can't go there w/o my smart little princess now! Try to high stick ya quarry over there cos those giants like to go under the jetty when hooked!

Thanks buddy. Nice to know you. Keep in touch.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I'm going kelong fishing for the 1st time so need to buy fishing rod and reel.

Since I do not fish often, I just want something cheap and can last.

My budget is around $400 for both fish rod and reel.

Any fishing expert here can recommend me where and what to buy?

Greatly appreciate any advice.

Anglers Hut. Beach Road junction with Bussorah.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is always a spoilt sport here. Let me be one, hehehe!

$400 - can get live fish from kelong - $10-$15 per kg for red snapper or garouper - guaranteed got catch. They keep their catch under the kelong. You are lucky only when the kept fish escape and loiter around kelong.

Not to forget renting the fishing boat, about $600 - $800 whole day only in Singapore waters (2 years ago). In Malaysia nearby Pengarang-Sg Ringit area - off Changi - rental boat about RM1,500 day fishing. Waters around Singapore mainland and islands not good for fishing because of land reclamation, cloudy water and shipping.

For first timer or occasional fisherman, hand reels are good enough. No need to feel pai seh. Can feel bites with naked fingers - even the smallest fish. Malay and Indon boatmen-cum-deckhands use them and usually catch more fish than those using expensive rods.

Finally, even calm season in June-September period, South China Sea can be choppy. Before you reach destination off-shore, kepala already pusing and you may be feeding the fish with your morning breakfast. Motion-sickness pills can help but just a bit.

Why fish? Let the big fish have their freedom and enjoy the sea breeze under the coconut tree or casuarinas. You get more peace of mind than anxiety. May be try experience watching the night sky from a kelong off Punggol in Malaysian water. Kelong owner provides steamboat and BBQ and mattresses if tired. Like I said, spend whole nite there with few fish - but the experience is worthwhile with not-too-demanding kakis (sorry lost contact already).

Finally, there are bigger fish awaiting you at RWS and MBS - just bring more than $400. Enjoy your trip!

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal

Ricky Tan is a good Captain but again his charges $3600.00 for 3day/2nite is no small amount!
so depend on your luck!

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For first timer or occasional fisherman, hand reels are good enough. No need to feel pai seh. Can feel bites with naked fingers - even the smallest fish. Malay and Indon boatmen-cum-deckhands use them and usually catch more fish than those using expensive rods.

Why fish? Let the big fish have their freedom and enjoy the sea breeze under the coconut tree or casuarinas. You get more peace of mind than anxiety. May be try experience watching the night sky from a kelong off Punggol in Malaysian water. Kelong owner provides steamboat and BBQ and mattresses if tired. Like I said, spend whole nite there with few fish - but the experience is worthwhile with not-too-demanding kakis (sorry lost contact already).

Finally, there are bigger fish awaiting you at RWS and MBS - just bring more than $400. Enjoy your trip!

For once I 100% agree with you on the fishing part. It is the sense of having a relaxed time and forget all about work and de-stressing oneself. Why waste $400 on equipment unless one is an avid fisherman and knows what is good or bad? A handline can catch as much fish or even more than any expensive gear. Those thinking of catching the big one will surely be disappointed, and it will be better to get a real fresh batang or grouper at the wet market with that kind of money.

However, I won't recommend gambling as it is not as great for relaxation. It might just make you lose sleep and stressed out after losing big time.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For S$400 one can get some fancy carbonised graphite rod or something like that, the samurai sword of anglers. I agree with Windsor that unless into angling, one might as well go to the market and buy the fish or even just go to a restaurant and eat it. Note that there's a difference between angling and fishing. Anglers are after the anticipation through the process and thrill of the catch. Fishermen are after the catch.