• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Re-post: Must get a Shadow Cabinet up

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What for shadow cabinet?
No point wasting time for shadow cabinet. Better thing of a way to improve Aljunied and Hougang. Also what topic to discuss in Parliament. Which is what resident and Singaporean want.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
What for shadow cabinet?
No point wasting time for shadow cabinet. Better thing of a way to improve Aljunied and Hougang. Also what topic to discuss in Parliament. Which is what resident and Singaporean want.

That's the point of a Shadow Cabinet. Westminster Style. If not how do you get a reall two party system?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet

If you dont have it you might as well not have them in parliament

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having an official Shadow Cabinet will take up too much resources of WP. The needs of Aljunied GRC and Hougang SMC more important. WP needs to start thinking about East Coast GRC and Tampines GRC as well. Not having a Shadow Cabinet allows them to pick and choose the things to engage the govt. Take potshots at their convenience. The electorate is not likely to expect a shadow Cabinet unless WP gets two more GRCs making their presence in Parliament a hefty 10-12 MPs.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Having an official Shadow Cabinet will take up too much resources of WP. The needs of Aljunied GRC and Hougang SMC more important. WP needs to start thinking about East Coast GRC and Tampines GRC as well. Not having a Shadow Cabinet allows them to pick and choose the things to engage the govt. Take potshots at their convenience. The electorate is not likely to expect a shadow Cabinet unless WP gets two more GRCs making their presence in Parliament a hefty 10-12 MPs.

In the UK, the PM and Shadow leader also have the smae worry--there's no difference. Since the WP is the only opposition in parliament, they must represent all Singaporeans.

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
None of the parties in their current status have the ability to setup a shadow cabinet. They probably will only have the talent if they pool their resources together but it's a bit rag tag and many of them cannot compete toe to toe with some of the current ministers. The easy ones like NEA, MCYS or Muslim Affairs which shouldn't post any issue. Even law should be easily covered given the impressive credentials of CSM. I don't see anyone from the opposition camp that can take over Health, Education, Manpower or Home affairs but I believe it should not be that hard to find one.

Its the other major ones, namely Foreign Affairs, Finance and Defence that's an issue. TJS would be the closest thing the opposition have to a Finance minister but I have very little confidence in him especially after reading his report. The poor and uneducated are going to be left even further behind if we follow his "brilliant" ideas. There are also not a lot of very high ranking military men in the opposition camp hence defence will also be a problem.

But still it's too early for WP to worry about that. Once they make more inroads and get something like 3 GRCs, they should start to seriously think about these issues

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
None of the parties in their current status have the ability to setup a shadow cabinet. They probably will only have the talent if they pool their resources together but it's a bit rag tag and many of them cannot compete toe to toe with some of the current ministers. The easy ones like NEA, MCYS or Muslim Affairs which shouldn't post any issue. Even law should be easily covered given the impressive credentials of CSM. I don't see anyone from the opposition camp that can take over Health, Education, Manpower or Home affairs but I believe it should not be that hard to find one.

Its the other major ones, namely Foreign Affairs, Finance and Defence that's an issue. TJS would be the closest thing the opposition have to a Finance minister but I have very little confidence in him especially after reading his report. The poor and uneducated are going to be left even further behind if we follow his "brilliant" ideas. There are also not a lot of very high ranking military men in the opposition camp hence defence will also be a problem.

But still it's too early for WP to worry about that. Once they make more inroads and get something like 3 GRCs, they should start to seriously think about these issues

Even so, they must target key ministries. S Lim would do well concerntrating on Law or Home Affairs--both are linked. Low can do easier ones like Transport. You must start somewhere or risk being criticised by both PAP and non-PAP supporters.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That's the point of a Shadow Cabinet. Westminster Style. If not how do you get a reall two party system?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Cabinet

If you dont have it you might as well not have them in parliament

Opposition dont even have 1/3 Parliament seat better dont discuss about shadow cabinet.
In UK.USA/Japan their opposition have 40% seat or more . So they will have enough man power for shadow cabinet.
In Singapore we only have 6 opposition MPs asking them to be the head of the Minister of each department. Each of them need to take up at least 3 post.
If Singapore opposition if can manage to grab more than 1/3 of the Parliament seat them they will have enough head count.
So only 6 member. Who will be PM, DPM, Finance,Defend, Education, Health, Transport, Enviroment, Tourist, Manpower, Foreign,...................................so many more.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Opposition dont even have 1/3 Parliament seat better dont discuss about shadow cabinet.
In UK.USA/Japan their opposition have 40% seat or more . So they will have enough man power for shadow cabinet.
In Singapore we only have 6 opposition MPs asking them to be the head of the Minister of each department. Each of them need to take up at least 3 post.
If Singapore opposition if can manage to grab more than 1/3 of the Parliament seat them they will have enough head count.
So only 6 member. Who will be PM, DPM, Finance,Defend, Education, Health, Transport, Enviroment, Tourist, Manpower, Foreign,...................................so many more.

As i said, don't need to tackle all. Can tackle a few or double or triple role. As i said, Slyvia for Law and Home, Low for Tranport and one more, Faisal can evne do Malay Affairs.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
As i said, don't need to tackle all. Can tackle a few or double or triple role. As i said, Slyvia for Law and Home, Low for Tranport and one more, Faisal can evne do Malay Affairs.

Let assume now WP come out with shadow cabinet
1. Sylvia>> Education Ministers
2. LTK >> Home minister
3. Faisal >> Malay affair
4. Pritam Singh>> Law
5. CSM >> Trade

What will they gain? Will PAP let them be the ministers or 2nd minister ? So is wasting time.
What will Opposition gain from shadow cabinet/serve any purpose?