• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Raise taxes on the Rich - in Singapore

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When you start taxing the rich heavily... You will see them parking their $$$ outside SIN. Doing good should be from the heart... Forcing will only drive them away!

What is 'heavily'? Raising the tax rate by 5 percent for those with annual incomes of $120k and above will drive them away? Get real.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
In Singapore do you think the tax money from the rich will go to the poor ? End of the day it goes to your goverment pocket . Looks like a lot of ppl here thinking excuses to tax the rich for the goverment :wink:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In Singapore do you think the tax money from the rich will go to the poor ? End of the day it goes to your goverment pocket . Looks like a lot of ppl here thinking excuses to tax the rich for the goverment :wink:

This I agree. Solution is to get rid of this government and replace it with a social democratic government. The PAP is a right-wing government.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If Sinkapore is so attractive for investment, why is the economy tanking? Look at Ireland ...lowest corporate tax rate of 12 percent. Why are investment not pouring in? Think Demand.
Sinkapore had been attractive because business can get cheap labour and the government boh chap. Take the cheap labour factor away and see what would happen.

Simpletons!

"If Sinkapore is so attractive for investment, why is the economy tanking?"

Not only Singapore economy is tanking .. It's happening around the world . What happen overseas will somehow affect Singapore because Singapore is a small country .

Yes I agree on supply and demand about Ireland .

Not only Singapore have cheap labour to attract overseas investors ..it's also because of low taxs for biz owner too .

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Greed has no limit. Maybe we should just tell the poor that they are free to go after the rich.

There's nothing wrong wanting more . But its wrong if u take things that do not belongs to you in the first place ... I call it robbery .

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Robbery is when you spend all your money and then reach out your hand and demand payout. If you are harping about your CPF, revoke your citizenship, fuck off and you can take your CPF with you, no questions asked. In fact, CPF Board will not let you leave your CPF with them and insist that you take your money with you.

CPF is withheld because it is already such a small amount of money (maximum $22k a year) which you are forced to save so that you cannot be a burden on society.

There's nothing wrong wanting more . But its wrong if u take things that do not belongs to you in the first place ... I call it robbery .

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal

My view is that the Rich - those earning $400k and above annually can be generous and pay more taxes. They should since it does not hurt them. Why are we speaking on behalf of them and saying they will run away and all that. The Rich are already planted in multiple countries, they probably have properties in Singapore, LA, NY..etc. So some more taxes in Singapore will probably cause them to raise their eyebrow for a second, then they go back to what they do.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
My view is that the Rich - those earning $400k and above annually can be generous and pay more taxes. They should since it does not hurt them. Why are we speaking on behalf of them and saying they will run away and all that. The Rich are already planted in multiple countries, they probably have properties in Singapore, LA, NY..etc. So some more taxes in Singapore will probably cause them to raise their eyebrow for a second, then they go back to what they do.

Even in a non progressive tax situation, they are already paying more tax.
the rich are already paying much more already. How can you say it won't hurt them? They they become poor?
Its a slipperry slope. You say 400k, someone already said 120k.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
My view is that the Rich - those earning $400k and above annually can be generous and pay more taxes.

Whether they can afford to pay more in taxes is not the issue. The bone of contention is why they should be made to do so in the first place.

We've all been through the school system and most of us worked hard to score A+ in all subjects because good grades gave us more options and laid the foundations for a successful career.

Now imagine all those who scored 95 marks or higher having to give away 30% of their marks to the lazy and dumb asses in the class

So If you scored 95, you'd have to hand over almost 30 marks to some guy who only achieved 20 marks so he'd end up with 50 marks despite not having bothered to study for the exam while you burnt midnight oil to score 95 and the marks redistribution system designed to make things "fairer" for all meant you were left with 65 marks only.

Would you bother to make the same effort to achieve excellence come the next exam with this sort of system entrenched? I certainly wouldn't.

Mankind did not evolve by trying to achieve equality. The human species moved forward because of fierce competition over limited resources. The end result is that there are winners and there are losers. That is the way it is supposed to be.

enterprise2

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey guys, you DO know that the playing field is heavily loaded in favour of the Rich, rite?? Getting them to pay more taxes is just one way of tilting the scale the other way.