• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat Qualified lawyers told to become Para-Legals because they can't get a job

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Sinkie lawyers can take second careers as taxi drivers, pimps, gigolos, etc.

From SCMP:

Barristers will no longer need permission to have a second job under proposed changes by the Hong Kong Bar Association, after a challenge to the long-standing restriction almost went to the city’s top court.

The association, the city’s top legal professional body, is considering relaxing its rule so that barristers would only be required to tell the Bar Council, its executive committee, that they intend to start a second or part-time job.

However, if there are any concerns about the appropriateness of their non-legal work, they will have to comply with any advice given.

“The rule we have has been abolished in most other places,” Bar Association chairman Philip Dykes said.

“The English Bar, for instance, abolished that 20 years ago and they are seeing no problems there.”

The association is looking at changing its Code of Conduct after a lawyer challenged its decision to not allow him to also work as a “neuro-beautologist”, treating those with misaligned spines and limbs, because it was considered incompatible with practising law.

While the association is prepared to do away with the rule, it still wants to keep an eye on the types of jobs barristers take up on the side.

“The bottom line is – whatever you do, that must be compatible with the profession of barrister,” Dykes said. “We’ll tell you what our concern is, and if that proves to be right and brings the Bar into disrepute, we’ll take disciplinary action.”

The association will decide on the proposal as early as January’s annual general meeting. Other proposals include introducing a monthly HK$6,000 (US$770) salary to all pupil barristers who are unpaid.

There are about 1,500 practising barristers in Hong Kong, including 150 freshly admitted in the past two years in a very competitive legal market. Young barristers often struggle financially as they do not have a base salary but must pay rent for their chambers.

Barristers, considered to be self-employed, do not need prior approval for some jobs, such as elected lawmakers, columnists, law school teachers, or non-executive directors of companies.

Some take second jobs to pursue a personal interest, including as private pilots or in the wine business, but for most, especially junior barristers, it is a means to earn more.

Veteran actor Melvin Wong Kam-sang, 69, is prominent among barristers who had two careers.

From the 1980s, Wong starred in television dramas and films and was particularly well known for being in the popular soap A Kindred Spirit. He was in his 50s when he studied for a law degree and was admitted to the Bar in 1997. But he still acted occasionally, including in a TV crime drama made by the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC).

“I was still a junior barrister at the time, so perhaps that’s why the Bar Council granted me permission. And as the ICAC is a government body, playing a part in the drama may have been seen as doing public service,” said Wong, freshly retired from the legal profession but producing films.

“I played the role of a senior investigator so I just showed up in several episodes without taking up too much time.”

Alexander Wong Shing-tak, 38, has degrees in medicine and law and was a doctor for six years before becoming a barrister in 2012. He said during his first two years as a barrister, he still saw patients at his clinic, but promised the Bar Council he would spend only two sessions per week as a doctor.

Wong said money was one reason he continued as a doctor, because he was not yet earning a regular income as a barrister. “I also didn’t want to waste what I learned in medical school,” he said.

The rule on second careers made the news in 2015 when barrister Albert Leung Sze-ho challenged the Bar Council’s refusal to allow him to practise neuro-beautology, a form of natural therapy.

Leung, then 45 and a barrister for more than 10 years, won his judicial review in the High Court. The judge ruled the association’s Code of Conduct was “unconstitutional” for restricting Leung’s freedom of choice of occupation.

But the Court of Appeal overturned the decision one year later, ruling that the freedom under Article 33 of the Basic Law, Hong Kong’s mini-constitution, only meant a resident should not be forced to work against his or her wish, but did not mean he or she had the freedom to work in any occupation.

Leung was granted permission to take his case to the Court of Final Appeal and a hearing date was initially set for January this year. However, he did not pursue the case as he said he could not raise the HK$200,000 needed and his personal financial problems had “snowballed” over the years.

“Maybe if I could have worked concurrently as a neuro-beautologist, I could have survived,” Leung, who is taking a break from practising, said.

More at:

Barristers’ body considers easing rule on taking second job
https://sc.mp/2QhrWPn

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
In a Capitalistic society, one have to make oneself useful by providing a service for others. What so great about lawyer ? I have full fledge lawyers who later went into AG and become some clerk. Trying to justify that they are good , trying to nail the bad.

The truth is he can't take the beating in pte sector.

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Exactly, what so great about being a lawyer!

In a capitalist society, there are many ways to make $$$ and the best way imho is by speculating.

HSI futures summary prior to open:
Daily pivot = 27415 and above X days moving average of daily pivots implies bullish

HSI futures actually opens at 27563 or thereabouts = huge gap up with prior day close (regular hours), implies likely to close some or all of gap, implies down shortly after open to close that gap

Missed opportunity to short at 590 to 600 which coincides with midpoint of daily R1 and pivot

X minute OBV at new low when prices are not = bearish and consistent with gap analysis

Shorted 2 contracts at 27562

Covered 1 at 27502

Covered 1 at 27510

Shit - actually closed gap with yesterday’s close of 27411 and goes lower some more!

From painful experience, when it looks gloomiest, this (27380 or so) may be the low of the morning and besides I am hungry and needs to go out for lunch!

SGD 1,000 for about 1 and half hour of WORK, and no need to bother about ratio decidendi and obiter dicta or whatever crap!

Capitalist society is the bestest!

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is what happen when you follow US economy of BS.

Produced 100 lawyers: 4 engineers a year in US. Create more softjobs for your kids to be lawyers and forget about engineering.

Leave engineering jobs to China. Lawyers can make more money than engineers, so buy from China.

and let Chinese sort it out to make Christmas toys for angmohs.....

Now lawyers are too many overcrowding the industry and going nowhere. Serve them rights laywers go kill yourself...

What a stupid suggestion. I would rather sit around and shake legs rather than degrade myself by being a Para-Legal, which is another nicer sounding term for a half-fark lawyer.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/cj-announces-committee-tackle-lawyer-oversupply-situation

:kma:

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Apparently technology kills law jobs.

Algorithm technology kill legal works and less law workers are needed.

AI kills lawyers, never know AI can kill these scumbay of the world lawyers.

God bless the human.

If I am an uneducated ah beng or someone with a general degree, I would of course be prepared to slog it out. But if I'm a qualified professional awyer, why the fark should I accept a lower position, where a diploma holder can hold? I would wait till I find a firm that is willing to take me in, or start my own firm.