• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Puteri Harbour Community

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
3. If Singapore can open its door to new talents, do you think Malaysia would not? Do you think Chinese or Indians would continue to flood into Singapore?

As long as MY and the other countries has the political will, they can have as many FTs as they want.
As long as MY don't practice meritocracy and remain with their race based policies, remain corrupted, reluctant and continue to resist learning English, they will just remain on the same spot.
Even the Johor Sultan readily agrees that they have a lot more to learn from Singapore.
There is so much we can learn from Singapore. They have done well, let's be honest here. We don't have to go on expensive study trips to Europe or the United States - just go across the Causeway to Singapore, they have done so many things that are correct and efficient.
“Singapore is our closest neighbour. We don’t have to go very far; we should emulate them as the island republic has achieved development way ahead of us.

“Let’s be honest with ourselves. Singapore has done well as a country. Their students have fared very well in Mathematics and Science. The prominent use of English has set them ahead of us,” he said.

The outspoken state ruler said there are politicians here who are in “self-denial” and choose to play politics with education by being “heroes of their races”.

“They talk about nationalism but they too send their children to boarding schools in Australia and the United Kingdom,” he added.

“I am confident if we have an education system based on a single stream for students from a young age, we will be able to create a community which is more harmonious and can work together to face challenges in the future.
The above are quotes from the Sultan of Johor himself, not me hor. He is a very much respected ruler by the rakyat in his own state.

Many years ago, I had visited one of the MARA Polytechnic in outer KL. I asked their workshop supervisor why are the machines looked brand new and not utilized? He told me that they are only for demonstration use for visiting VIPs and official occasions.

My wife's relative who had a son with a rare disease. His family was told by the hospital staff that they do have the clinical machine in the hospital to treat their son, but nobody knows how to use it.

As long as they don't revert to English, their future generations will greatly suffer and will not progress.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even the Johor Sultan readily agrees that they have a lot more to learn from Singapore.

The above are quotes from the Sultan of Johor himself, not me hor. He is a very much respected ruler by the rakyat in his own state.

That's y I keep asking why Singapore want to come to Iskandar. I do not understand. Singapore is so good. Even Sultan also jealous. MY is so bad, so corrupted, so unsafe. Why come and invest in MY then kpkb? I am sure Iskandar will move on with or without Singapore.
Better stay back in Singapore. It is very safe, no corruption, very well managed.

Then you look at the Causeway jam over these 2 days. Why???

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's y I keep asking why Singapore want to come to Iskandar. I do not understand. Singapore is so good. Even Sultan also jealous. MY is so bad, so corrupted, so unsafe. Why come and invest in MY then kpkb? I am sure Iskandar will move on with or without Singapore.
Better stay back in Singapore. It is very safe, no corruption, very well managed.

Then you look at the Causeway jam over these 2 days. Why???
I think you know the reason very well yourself. It's to spend, spend, spend. If the exchange rate were to be on par (RM1=S$1), do you still think it will be like that? Singaporeans won't find it advantages to shop in JB whilst Malaysians also won't need to work in Singapore by then.

Don't get me wrong, by highlighting in my previous post. I'm also for the good of Malaysia, prosper thy neighbor. I just feel sad that they (especially their politicians) are constantly in self-denial and ruining the future of their own generations to come. Even their opposition DAP is always bickering with Singapore.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I used to say Singaporeans do not know how lucky they were. They are assured of a HDB in their lifetime and everything is taken care of. No worries and all you need to do is to work. At most is you have some stupid polticians doing extra activities and that is national news. Even I also jealous.

In Malaysia, the minorities are left to fend for themselves. MY is full racial politics and crime is committed every day. It is survival of the fittest.

Then when some sort of property development take place in Johore, Singaporeans go ga ga over it. But they do not know how deep the holes are before stepping into it. Then you make hellva noise after that. But they never admit they make a mistake in their judgement. They start to blame politics, Iskandar not safe, ghost town, over built, agents, etc and everyone else except themselves. I see only one or two guys here who dare to admit it is their oversight. The rest just play the blame game.

Why make life so difficult? Just don't come in and that will habis cerita. End of story. No pain, no worries. Like Xbay say...sleep peacefully. No need to complain day in day out.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
I just been to PH last weekend to see the progress.

Frankly, I wont be selling my places anytime soon in the next 10 years. Been roaming around Singapore looking for the best views and bargain buys but mainly quoted S$2500 ( RM 7500 ) for a 80+ years left LEASEHOLD pathetic condos. I will be sued bankrupt if I cant repay my mortgage loans!

Me too. Just crossing my fingers Somerset continue to pay me smooth cashflows for next 9 years. So fast time flies,already 1 year past since they started the lease.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Then when some sort of property development take place in Johore, Singaporeans go ga ga over it. But they do not know how deep the holes are before stepping into it. Then you make hellva noise after that. But they never admit they make a mistake in their judgement. They start to blame politics, Iskandar not safe, ghost town, over built, agents, etc and everyone else except themselves. I see only one or two guys here who dare to admit it is their oversight. The rest just play the blame game.
You would also know that Singaporeans are the greatest complain king. So, no surprise. I do admit that Sinkies had been well "sheltered" by the government for the last 50 years that many don't have the guts to take greater risks. It's a well known fact that Singapore has been run by the government like a "nanny" state, taking care of the needs of its citizens from cradle to grave. lol.

I can only say that to those who had invested in Iskandar and are in a (paper) loss now, they only have themselves to blame for being ignorant and greedy. Nobody aims a gun at you to force you to commit. I don't myself. I had once lost over S$150k on Unit Trusts investments. During that time, every financial advisers will preach to you to diversify your investments and Unit Trusts is 1 of them because they don't concentrate on just 1 stock/equity. I'd say it's all bull-shit. I don't blame anyone, but on my own lack of foresight. Although I do feel the pain, but I learn from it and moved on.

Last edited:

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
You would also know that Singaporeans are the greatest complain king. So, no surprise. I do admit that Sinkies had been well "sheltered" by the government for the last 50 years that many don't have the guts to take greater risks. It's a well known fact that Singapore has been run by the government like a "nanny" state, taking care of the needs of its citizens from cradle to grave. lol.

I can only say that to those who had invested in Iskandar and are in a (paper) loss now, they only have themselves to blame for being ignorant and greedy. Nobody aims a gun at you to force you to commit. I don't myself. I had once lost over S$150k on Unit Trusts investments. I don't blame anyone, but on my own lack of foresight. But I learn from it and moved on.

Investing in a foreign country need gumption. You must be able to stomach the downs and celebrate the ups. Believe me, those guys who invested in Iskandar paper loss is nothing compared to what I am now going through now.

Just to quote you an example. I have a project, having paid progress payment and half way though the basement works, contractors discovered historical artefacts. Now the site taken over by Gahmen for investigation. At this point of time, no news when it will be released. Would I be losing sleep over it? And who do I blame? Nah...let it be. Afterall the money is in trust account. This is the journey of property investment.

I too have some unit trusts investments and bonds in Singapore but those of low risks ones.

Last edited:

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
Investing in a foreign country need gumption. You must be able to stomach the downs and celebrate the ups. Believe me, those guys who invested in Iskandar paper loss is nothing compared to what I am now going through now.

Just to quote you an example. I have a project, having paid progress payment and half way though the basement works, contractors discovered historical artefacts. Now the site taken over by Gahmen for investigation. At this point of time, no news when it will be released. Would I be losing sleep over it? And who do I blame? Nah...let it be. Afterall the money is in trust account. This is the journey of property investment.

I too have some unit trusts investments and bonds in Singapore but those of low risks ones.

But maybe its worth the wait.. cos the artefacts could be worth a fortune. Since you guys have paid into the project, anything underground also belong to you right?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
But maybe its worth the wait.. cos the artefacts could be worth a fortune. Since you guys have paid into the project, anything underground also belong to you right?

Nope. It belonged to Historical England.
But the unit already had a 25% paper gain so sit tight and enjoy the ride.
Only problem is 1 year extra delay with no LAD given. :(

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ya lor. We should not look so much into the future. Just 10 years ago when I first bought my house in JB everyone was thinking I am mad. I bought a few more hoping to give my 3 sons in future which is 10 years later. Are the prices crashing? Try offering a cheque 50% of the valuation price to buy any units in Iskandar and you see if u can buy. Everyone was jumping mad when I first bought into JB They told me these properties will be zero value. 10 years later, I am sorry its not zero value.

Now these same people are still staying in their HDB flats. Not bad I must say cos for the past 20 years they save a lot of time on keeping their tiny house spick and span while I have to slog like a donkey to clean the entire house.

Again, since there are a few chaps here who are insisting that prices have crashed, I am offering Rm 300psf for a sea view condo in Imperia. Owners please PM me. I can put down payment anytime.

Need to go into the details here.

1. How much did you buy your JB house 10 years ago? Could typical Malaysians back then still afford it? Maybe they could, just that it was considered expensive to them. Or was it totally unaffordable?

Today, how much does a typical condo in Iskandar costs? RM800-1000k psf? Can an ordinary Malaysian in the street afford it? I was told, No, by many Malaysians. Even if they could, they'd rather buy a big house than condo.

2. Did you try to sell the houses you bought? Cos paper gain is just that -- paper gain. Until you actually sell it, you can't talk about the profits.

3. Are you a Malaysian? Did you buy the houses for long term occupancy? If so, it probably doesn't matter to you whether there are risks or not. For Singaporeans/foreigners who bought to stay in their Iskandar condos, they could say "Screw the market and negative reports!" It doesn't bother them. But not all are buying for their own stay. Many foreigners bought for investments. It's a totally different story. Getting cash out of the property may be impossible. That's a concern.

Incidentally, 10 years' ago exchange rate was about S$1 = RM2.29? If you tried to sell your home today, the loss solely due to exchange rate is already 28%. Not including any bank interest to be paid and other miscellaneous fees.

4. Do you have lots of spare cash? If a person has say RM10 million, spending RM1 million is not much of a pain. Even if the price drops, so what. Hold. Enjoy. The loss is minimal. But not everyone is in such a position.

So here's the DISCLAIMER: Based on points 3 and 4 above, if you are buying to sleep there, marvel at your water view every day, or maybe you're already retired, nowhere else to put your money, sure... you can spend on anything you want. The whole discussion about whether the purchase makes sense or not is quite useless.

I hear this a few times, about people looking down on HDB flats. What's wrong with them? It's really dumb to comment they are small and all that. The comparison is not even valid. You're comparing property prices in a 1st world Singapore and a 3rd world Iskandar. Might as well compare property prices in Indonesia or Africa? Why not go there to buy, so much cheaper? Check out the prices of apartments in large US cities, Japan and Australia. Do you dare to call the owners there "losers" for paying so much and yet get small floor areas?

Actually, HDB flats are one of the best housing there is. I dare say even better than a condo, in terms of price to floor area ratio.

I also have a story to tell. My colleague bought her HDB flat 8 years ago for a high S$600+k. People said, Crazy! Stupid! Don't buy! Too expensive! Her flat will soon be sold for a high $900+k, giving her S$300k in profits. For the benefit of the Malaysians here, that's a cool RM900k. Shiok bo? That's a public flat in your face!

And yes... I certainly think it's silly to waste time cleaning such a big house. Nice and cosy home will do just fine. Remember the phrase: Some people are just asset rich but cash poor. And ultimately, it's managing expectations.

You think your 2,000 sq ft condo "jin eh sai"? I tell you my friends in Australia and US live in 3,000-4,000 sq ft homes cheaper than what you can even get in JB. But they are nice and sensible pals. They won't laugh at others for owning smaller homes. In fact, cars, houses and other materialistic things are not even their favourite topic. Only Singaporeans and some Malaysians (like those here) put a high emphasis on such stuffs. When we all leave this world, can't take the properties with us.

So chill guys. If you have the $$$, go ahead. Just spend. Iskandar condos could be a good buy. But if you don't have that kind of $, just be careful where you're stepping into. I think many here can agree on this?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hear this a few times, about people looking down on HDB flats. What's wrong with them? It's really dumb to comment they are small and all that. The comparison is not even valid. You're comparing property prices in a 1st world Singapore and a 3rd world Iskandar. Might as well compare property prices in Indonesia or Africa? Why not go there to buy, so much cheaper? Check out the prices of apartments in large US cities, Japan and Australia. Do you dare to call the owners there "losers" for paying so much and yet get small floor areas?

Actually, HDB flats are one of the best housing there is. I dare say even better than a condo, in terms of price to floor area ratio.

You think your 2,000 sq ft condo "jin eh sai"? I tell you my friends in Australia and US live in 3,000-4,000 sq ft homes cheaper than what you can even get in JB. But they are nice and sensible pals. They won't laugh at others for owning smaller homes. In fact, cars, houses and other materialistic things are not even their favourite topic. Only Singaporeans and some Malaysians (like those here) put a high emphasis on such stuffs. When we all leave this world, can't take the properties with us.

So chill guys. If you have the $$$, go ahead. Just spend. Iskandar condos could be a good buy. But if you don't have that kind of $, just be careful where you're stepping into. I think many here can agree on this?

Mpan, you are right in many ways.

I for one who would vouch HDB is good. I stayed in Bedok North which is a 1.5 room style before and my brothers stayed in Bukit Batok near the swimming pool and well as another in a newer one at Guillemard Rd. Absolutely no problem. I think they are good. I seen the closeness of Singaporeans who lived in these HDBs coming together to help during a wake of my relative who passed on. So the question of a cheap pigeon hole is not true. It is just that Singaporeans had been pampered into having these HDBs.

As we grow older, we look for smaller house. So what the CA is there? No buyers, what's there to talk? So the myth of big house means big money is not really true. Yes, quality of life is more important these days. That's why I keep saying you must enjoy investing. If it give you so much pain, it is not worth the journey. Be happy what you have already. Buying one unit of Iskandar is good, buying too many is a risk. Start small. Dip with little toes first.

But what I cannot understand is when one try to talk down on Iskandar politically or racially to make others look good. Actually Singapore is good already, it is just that they want to make it "gooder". It can cut both ways too. Can we agree we do not talk politics here? There are other threads to do that. This is a property thread. Table flipping is not encouraged. Peace. Today is Labor day. So enjoy hoildays.

Last edited:

eric3417

Alfrescian
Loyal
Puteri Harbour COMMUNITY

This THREAD was started for like minded forummers with common interest in Puteri Harbour to network/share/updates etc.
Like you say. Peace… Can we leave politics and other macro economics news on other more Relevant threads?
But then this is a Forum. It's free for all. We can only hope and chill… :(

Happy Labours Day.
:cool:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am of the opinion that today's condo predicament in JB arises from those Chinese developers. They are overbuilding in such a short time and are causing a serious glut.

I always believe that there must be jobs available for the people before a township can flourish, applicable even to the higher end localities like Puteri Harbor and Medini.

Last edited:

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err.. 10 years ago my houses at rm 700k.. semis..

its total absurd and 100% out of reach for Malaysians back then. Now they are richer. 5 million also can buy. No problems. Thanks to Iskandar rise.. many Malaysians become rich

Need to go into the details here.

1. How much did you buy your JB house 10 years ago? Could typical Malaysians back then still afford it? Maybe they could, just that it was considered expensive to them. Or was it totally unaffordable?

Today, how much does a typical condo in Iskandar costs? RM800-1000k psf? Can an ordinary Malaysian in the street afford it? I was told, No, by many Malaysians. Even if they could, they'd rather buy a big house than condo.

2. Did you try to sell the houses you bought? Cos paper gain is just that -- paper gain. Until you actually sell it, you can't talk about the profits.

3. Are you a Malaysian? Did you buy the houses for long term occupancy? If so, it probably doesn't matter to you whether there are risks or not. For Singaporeans/foreigners who bought to stay in their Iskandar condos, they could say "Screw the market and negative reports!" It doesn't bother them. But not all are buying for their own stay. Many foreigners bought for investments. It's a totally different story. Getting cash out of the property may be impossible. That's a concern.

Incidentally, 10 years' ago exchange rate was about S$1 = RM2.29? If you tried to sell your home today, the loss solely due to exchange rate is already 28%. Not including any bank interest to be paid and other miscellaneous fees.

4. Do you have lots of spare cash? If a person has say RM10 million, spending RM1 million is not much of a pain. Even if the price drops, so what. Hold. Enjoy. The loss is minimal. But not everyone is in such a position.

So here's the DISCLAIMER: Based on points 3 and 4 above, if you are buying to sleep there, marvel at your water view every day, or maybe you're already retired, nowhere else to put your money, sure... you can spend on anything you want. The whole discussion about whether the purchase makes sense or not is quite useless.

I also have a story to tell. My colleague bought her HDB flat 8 years ago for a high S$600+k. People said, Crazy! Stupid! Don't buy! Too expensive! Her flat will soon be sold for a high $900+k, giving her S$300k in profits. For the benefit of the Malaysians here, that's a cool RM900k. Shiok bo? That's a public flat in your face!

And yes... I certainly think it's silly to waste time cleaning such a big house. Nice and cosy home will do just fine. Remember the phrase: Some people are just asset rich but cash poor. And ultimately, it's managing expectations.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Err.. 10 years ago my houses at rm 700k.. semis..
Ha Ha, sure or not? During 2008/09, I was quoted about RM500k only for new (but yet to be built) Cluster Semi-Ds (4-in-1) in Setia Bukit Indah. The same type at Horizon Hills was about RM100k more due to sales gimmicks like claiming to be on prestige land, higher ground, golf course, etc. At that time, Bukit Indah was just a flat piece of land and AEON was just commencing piling works.

Even in Jalan Sipi (behind Danga City Mall), I had almost committed on an old, but still in good and tenantable condition Bungalow (about 6,000 sq ft land) at RM550k, but backed out because of fear of land acquisition by KTM in the future. Its similar land sized next door neighbor with added extension was selling at RM660k, fully and nicely renovated with no further repairs required.

I have been keen in JB properties after my first FD opened with Hong Leong Bank in 1995.

Last edited:

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am of the opinion that today's condo predicament in JB arises from those Chinese developers. They are overbuilding in such a short time and are causing a serious glut.

I always believe that there must be jobs available for the people before a township can flourish, applicable even to the higher end localities like Puteri Harbor and Medini.

Not just the greed of the China developers. We mustn't forget who sold them the land in the first place, and then allowed them to build such massive projects. There was no proper planning.

I saw from YouTube how the IRDA showed the Medini Master Plan. Wah, so nice. Will have hospital, education city, "Wellness" center (seriously, dunno what that is! Some kind of spa, massage, yoga?), etc.

After news of the oversupply of properties were reported, they suddenly came to their senses and stopped selling land for property development. Now they change their tack and say, Oh...we are concentrating on commercial. It will be a vibrant place.... businesses will come, etc. I'm really not sure if they are planing all these systematically. The truth is, we are not seeing that many businesses going in. I don't really know much about any Singapore SMEs relocating there as is often said.

Certainly agree with you, they must get jobs in first before the residential. No jobs = no people = empty condos.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mpan, you are right in many ways.

I for one who would vouch HDB is good. I stayed in Bedok North which is a 1.5 room style before and my brothers stayed in Bukit Batok near the swimming pool and well as another in a newer one at Guillemard Rd. Absolutely no problem. I think they are good. I seen the closeness of Singaporeans who lived in these HDBs coming together to help during a wake of my relative who passed on. So the question of a cheap pigeon hole is not true. It is just that Singaporeans had been pampered into having these HDBs.

As we grow older, we look for smaller house. So what the CA is there? No buyers, what's there to talk? So the myth of big house means big money is not really true. Yes, quality of life is more important these days. That's why I keep saying you must enjoy investing. If it give you so much pain, it is not worth the journey. Be happy what you have already. Buying one unit of Iskandar is good, buying too many is a risk. Start small. Dip with little toes first.

But what I cannot understand is when one try to talk down on Iskandar politically or racially to make others look good. Actually Singapore is good already, it is just that they want to make it "gooder". It can cut both ways too. Can we agree we do not talk politics here? There are other threads to do that. This is a property thread. Table flipping is not encouraged. Peace. Today is Labor day. So enjoy hoildays.

Definitely. HDB flats are good! The value is there. Even 30 years old or more, buyers are will to pay high prices for them.

I think it's because sometimes people don't know how lucky they are. Complaining is so easy. And we humans are never easy to satisfy.

Got roof under our heads, no not enough. Then look for condos. No still too small. Then look for terraces. Still cannot. Then buy landed houses with gardens. You ask the celebrities they say too small. They want to have swimming pool inside, with tennis court, 8 bathrooms, can park 8 cars inside, mini cinema, etc. There is no end chasing after material wealth. How big is really big?

Just be happy is important.

Iskandar, good or bad, depends on one's intention. Good if you know what you want, bad if you go in with wrong expectations.

Ok enough said. Sorry yes.. this is a PH thread. I respect owners here. PH is a nice place. Chill. Enjoy! :smile:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not just the greed of the China developers. We mustn't forget who sold them the land in the first place, and then allowed them to build such massive projects. There was no proper planning.
Actually, He is a businessman himself and He is pretty smart. What He did was to sell the sea to the Chinese developers, thus not really losing much of the original Johor landmass. They will have to reclaim and build at their own expenses. That is why the prices at Princess Cove, Country Garden, Greenland and Forest City won't be cheap because of this additional reclamation cost to be factored in.

Last edited: