• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Puteri Harbour Community

cow138

Alfrescian
Loyal
A couple in their mid 40s earning quarter million a year?
Possible.
Savings of 100k per year? Interesting. But nowadays job security and uncertainty as one gets older plus family obligations can really sap the will to take on additional risks in property investment.
Most people will just be happy to maintain their comfortable lifestyle like going for long holidays and buying luxury accoutrements. And why leave, Singapore is the best place to be if you're in the salary bracket.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
A couple in their mid 40s earning quarter million a year?
Possible.
Savings of 100k per year? Interesting. But nowadays job security and uncertainty as one gets older plus family obligations can really sap the will to take on additional risks in property investment.
Most people will just be happy to maintain their comfortable lifestyle like going for long holidays and buying luxury accoutrements. And why leave, Singapore is the best place to be if you're in the salary bracket.

Possible for sure, but perhaps not the majority here.

Stimpy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, those days are over.

I remember PM Lee HL once openly commented to the young citizens in Singapore, "Don't worry. I understand your concerns about whether you can lead better lives than your parents. I'm sure you can. We will ensure Singapore will always be an attractive place to work, live and play.... (and all other craps)" Not his exact words but meaning is roughly there.

I don't know who this world's highest paid politician is addressing his speech to. But it sounds like it is targeted at the kids brought up in upper class families.

He got to be joking to say young SG citizens of today can lead better lives than their parents.

Like xebay11, my younger colleagues were often shocked and dismayed when they realized how much lower prices of HDB flats were just merely 10-15 years ago. However, by comparison, their salaries today are almost stagnant and have not kept up with the much higher cost of living along the way. Many are resigned to live in smaller than ever 4-room HDB flats and take 25-30 year loans. Mind you, they are not low IQ young adults. They worked hard as students and graduated with above average results from local unis.

Some of them have already started to contemplate leaving this "stinkingly expensive" country where the government rule it like a big money-making corporation, as one of them described it.

I advised them, Go, if you can. This may be your country of birth, but Singapore is not going to look after you. The government is not going to care for you. It's largely your own money that you use to take care of yourself. If you can find greener pastures elsewhere, your own life matters more than anything else, including Singapore.

All fair concerns, but to be fair, how much easier is it to improve the majority of people's lives from a kampong standard? Squeezing out more gains is increasingly tough. Everyone acknowledges singapore to be the best of the west (infrastructure, education, crime, governance, opportunities). How can they do better? I honestly don't know. The locals who replace me will have good salaries - the gov did well to pull in new industries (mine) to sg. Already the late 20s guys and girls are on 80-100, can't speak for the late 30s lot.

In the uk, they openly say "you won't do as well as your parents". It's hard to when 60% tax leaves you with 40c from every dollar you earn.

Has it got harder here? I have no doubt. Have you got it better than the US, uk, EU? Undoubtedly. Most there don't have pensions. Everyone here can rely on cpf plus an hdb home. Good advice to leave, they'll come back with global experience and be paid more. No country looks after their own people really. Apart from Sweden. But they've decided to forget the Swedish and concentrate on refugees now.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
All fair concerns, but to be fair, how much easier is it to improve the majority of people's lives from a kampong standard? Squeezing out more gains is increasingly tough. Everyone acknowledges singapore to be the best of the west (infrastructure, education, crime, governance, opportunities). How can they do better? I honestly don't know. The locals who replace me will have good salaries - the gov did well to pull in new industries (mine) to sg. Already the late 20s guys and girls are on 80-100, can't speak for the late 30s lot.

In the uk, they openly say "you won't do as well as your parents". It's hard to when 60% tax leaves you with 40c from every dollar you earn.

Has it got harder here? I have no doubt. Have you got it better than the US, uk, EU? Undoubtedly. Most there don't have pensions. Everyone here can rely on cpf plus an hdb home. Good advice to leave, they'll come back with global experience and be paid more. No country looks after their own people really. Apart from Sweden. But they've decided to forget the Swedish and concentrate on refugees now.

There are many people who has not lived or own properties in other countries before. Singapore is way on top of the well planned countries compared to others. It is natural for them to complain and compare. Like I always say it is better to judge others by their own standards rather than by your own standards. Acceptance is easier and life would be a lot happier. Otherwise, just stay put and no more complains.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, those days are over.

I remember PM Lee HL once openly commented to the young citizens in Singapore, "Don't worry. I understand your concerns about whether you can lead better lives than your parents. I'm sure you can. We will ensure Singapore will always be an attractive place to work, live and play.... (and all other craps)" Not his exact words but meaning is roughly there.

I don't know who this world's highest paid politician is addressing his speech to. But it sounds like it is targeted at the kids brought up in upper class families.

He got to be joking to say young SG citizens of today can lead better lives than their parents.

Like xebay11, my younger colleagues were often shocked and dismayed when they realized how much lower prices of HDB flats were just merely 10-15 years ago. However, by comparison, their salaries today are almost stagnant and have not kept up with the much higher cost of living along the way. Many are resigned to live in smaller than ever 4-room HDB flats and take 25-30 year loans. Mind you, they are not low IQ young adults. They worked hard as students and graduated with above average results from local unis.

Some of them have already started to contemplate leaving this "stinkingly expensive" country where the government rule it like a big money-making corporation, as one of them described it.

I advised them, Go, if you can. This may be your country of birth, but Singapore is not going to look after you. The government is not going to care for you. It's largely your own money that you use to take care of yourself. If you can find greener pastures elsewhere, your own life matters more than anything else, including Singapore.

LHL is the worst PM we have had . Screwed up housing, transport, healthcare , security. Period.

Dfiris

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property taxes could be a substantial hidden cost in SG. In Malaysia, it depends on the diff state assessment. but still way lower.. than even yr owner occupied rate in SG.

Cos SG very efficient in revising market value. The last KL saga see me paying even less assessment becos the public make noise.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Property taxes could be a substantial hidden cost in SG. In Malaysia, it depends on the diff state assessment. but still way lower.. than even yr owner occupied rate in SG.

Cos SG very efficient in revising market value. The last KL saga see me paying even less assessment becos the public make noise.

True. If I recall correctly my property tax for my JB landed property was about RM700 which is much lower compared with HDB property tax of about $1100!

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
LHL is the worst PM we have had . Screwed up housing, transport, healthcare , security. Period.

I totally agree with you.

Under his father's LKY ruling, life was so much better. Some say LKY was a tough guy but at the end, he still ensured the commoners could get by well. CPF was for retirement. HDB flats were truly affordable and for commoners to live comfortably in.

Under LHL, CPF minimum sum is never enough. HDB flats are sometimes made to be for speculation. MRT train breakdowns are said to be "normal", lack of hospital beds is due to our aging population, Mas Selamat escape not due to million dollars salary Wong Kan Seng's fault but the guards on duty, locals are less valued than foreigners, all schools are good schools, etc etc etc.

LHL's government try to screw the minds of the commoners. Notice he and his bunch of ministers kept telling people HDB flats are "affordable" (lack of BTOs and resale flats costing S$700k and above considered affordable?), with $1,000 can buy HDB flats (maybe for a limited few but anyway, what about the daily and other expenses?), that the lives of kids today can be as good as, if not better than their parents (today graduates take 30 year mortgage loans and live in 4-room HDB flats, while their parents are non-graduates, maybe even 1 working only but can buy a big 5-room HDB flat and later upgrade to condo).

menghuii

Alfrescian
Loyal
look at teega, its neat. uem has come a long way. i think just with teega's 50% occupancy with families will make the place even rowdier i believe.

cybermad

Alfrescian
Loyal
look at teega, its neat. uem has come a long way. i think just with teega's 50% occupancy with families will make the place even rowdier i believe.

Yes, I heard teega was priced attractively to attract people to buy n stay in PH . To make the place lively in short.

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal

To me one worse thing is the value --> 0 as year --> 99 for leasehold property

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
To me one worse thing is the value --> 0 as year --> 99 for leasehold property

In Malaysia, hardly got any leasehold property taken back after the lease expires. Normally you pay some money to get the lease renewed. What about in Singapore?

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess 99 year HDB lease can ultimately be renewed machaim COE.

50 Year Renew - 50% of Prevailing Resale flat Value
99 Year Renew - Current Resale Flat Value around the area

Older flats will have higher property tax. If you want to upgrade, you pay.

It basically means you are paying as long as you live. Same as cars

In Malaysia, hardly got any leasehold property taken back after the lease expires. Normally you pay some money to get the lease renewed. What about in Singapore?

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
My Malaysia car which is continental road tax is S$50 in Malaysia. I am paying S$2000 for my continental in Singapore. No wonder S$35 levy does not deter Malaysians from driving in!

True. If I recall correctly my property tax for my JB landed property was about RM700 which is much lower compared with HDB property tax of about $1100!

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess 99 year HDB lease can ultimately be renewed machaim COE.

50 Year Renew - 50% of Prevailing Resale flat Value
99 Year Renew - Current Resale Flat Value around the area

Older flats will have higher property tax. If you want to upgrade, you pay.

It basically means you are paying as long as you live. Same as cars

In Malaysia, you pay only the land premium for lease renewal, not on the entire property (land +building)

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always had to call my agents whenever I receive road tax or insurance bills. Just to make sure they forgot to type in one zero. I mean, I have been paying S$2000 ( RM 6000 ) a year road tax for 20 years.. still not used to seeing RM 100 a year road tax...