• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PSC scholarship. No m&d smart enough?

ChristJohnny

Alfrescian
Loyal
One in a million isn't exactly something one can be proud of.

Maybe not to you ... but to some race is like getting the Olympic Gold if anyone make it.

For a country to progress, you need smart working populace. Few individuals are not able to have any impact. Look at the map below you will realize that low IQ = less develop. In the Past, present or future. It is predictable. Do not waste time investing in Africa, trade with them is enough. They can never change no matter how much you invest. Worst, their population exploded and not their standard of living when technology were brought into Africa and other low IQ regions.

Race and IQ
worldiqmap.jpg

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even the Jews are inbreeding. Just not as bad as m&ds.

For Sarah, being an Ashkenazi Jew means difficult decisions about starting a family
A young woman with green glasses looks at the camera in front of a leafy background.
Sarah Charak is still deciding how she will manage her personal risk for breast and ovarian cancer.(ABC RN: Alice Moldovan)
Sarah was 23 when she found out that, most likely, over the next 20 years everything that "made me a woman" would have to be surgically removed.
Her breasts and ovaries were "tainted in some way" and put her at risk.
Sarah has up to a 70 per cent chance of developing breast cancer and up to 40 per cent chance of ovarian cancer, due to a BRCA gene fault — the genetic condition made famous by Angelina Jolie.
"I definitely have had moments of anger about it. It's inconvenient. It's upsetting. The thought of the surgeries is scary," Sarah says.
For the general population, the risk of inheriting a BRCA gene fault is around one in 400.
Ashkenazi Jews, like Sarah, are 10 times more likely to inherit the fault, meaning their risk of cancer is much higher.
Marrying within the community over generations has led to genetic issues like the BRCA gene mutation and diseases like Tay-Sachs and cystic fibrosis, among others.
It means making difficult decisions about surgery, screening and how far to go to prevent passing the gene fault on to the next generation.
This is how four Ashkenazi Jews are navigating those decisions.
Life-changing, not life-ruining
When Sarah was in high school, an aunt developed breast cancer. It came a few years after her paternal grandmother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.
A large number of family members have since tested positive as carriers, so Sarah knew there was a possibility that she might have the gene fault too.
Old, black and white photos of Ashkenazi Jewish family members decorate the hallway.
The Charak family has had many positive BRCA tests.(ABC RN: Alice Moldovan)
She was 23 when she went with her two sisters for the blood test, and describes how her pessimistic viewpoint steeled her.
"My relationship to the test was, 'I should think that I'll probably test positive because then it'll just be confirming what I already thought'. And then I was correct."
Out of Sarah's three siblings, one has tested positive, one negative, and one is yet to take the test.
Sarah is still deciding how she will manage her personal risk for breast cancer, which increases from the age of 30, and ovarian cancer, which increases from 40.
A woman enters her room, the door decorated with her name, Sarah, in wooden figurines.
Sarah sees the BRCA gene as simply another part of her Ashkenazi Jewish heritage.(ABC RN: Alice Moldovan)
Then there's the question of undergoing IVF to remove the gene fault from her future children — an expensive and uncomfortable possibility.
Sarah always thought she'd have children naturally, a topic she is now reconsidering with her fiance.
But overall, she says knowing her positive status is a privilege.
"It's really incredible that it's information that you can know and you can plan for in advance and that you can actually be empowered to make choices that avoid danger," she says.
'Unique and a little bit embarrassed'
A father and daughter stand together on a grassy knoll, smiling at her university graduation.
Geoff Wolf survived breast cancer and unwittingly passed on the BRCA2 gene to his daughter, Tamara.(Supplied: Tamara Wolf)
These developments have come relatively recently.
In the 1990s, we knew much less about the BRCA gene fault — which meant a diagnosis of breast cancer came as a complete shock to Sydney man Geoff Wolf.
"I was told I had more chance of winning the lottery, which unfortunately hasn't happened yet, than of developing breast cancer," he says.
Geoff was a young father of two when he visited an after-hours medical clinic. He wanted the doctor to lance what he thought was a cyst over his left breast.
"Thanks to the astuteness of that doctor, I was sent for tests and very quickly to surgery," he says.
He had a mastectomy and lymph nodes removed from his left side, followed by 30 sessions of radiotherapy.
Geoff says at the time he felt "unique and a little bit embarrassed" when he was waiting for a mammogram.
Soon after finding out he had breast cancer, he took part in a research project within Sydney's Ashkenazi Jewish community, looking into the familial BRCA1 and 2 genetic mutation.
Because his children were already born by the time he found out he was a BRCA2 carrier, he knew there was a risk he had passed the gene fault onto either one or both of his daughters, Tamara and Sarah.
"I was most hurt for the girls," he says.
"Could we have done anything? No. Do I wish I didn't have it? Probably, but knowledge is power."
Living with 'scanxiety'
A daughter stands behind her smiling, seated parents at a formal function.
The Wolf family is managing the health risks of the BRCA2 gene.(Supplied: Tamara Wolf)
Tamara, now 29, says she always knew about the existence of BRCA in her family, inherited from her father.
She was in her early 20s when she started a six-monthly scan regime, undergoing an ultrasound and mammogram each February and an MRI in July.
When she was 27 she decided to do the blood test to find out whether she had inherited the BRCA2 gene mutation from her dad.
It came back positive.
"It wasn't even so much about what that meant for me. But having to tell my parents, that was my biggest fear because I knew that they were so worried about it," she says.
"I was incredibly emotional."
Both her mum and her younger sister tested negative.
After several years of screening, Tamara didn't want to live with what she calls "scanxiety" anymore, so she started the process of having a preventative double mastectomy and breast reconstruction.
After returning home to Sydney from London, where she lives and works, and having her surgery rescheduled three times due to coronavirus, she's recovering well.
She's confident that her choice to remove her risk of breast cancer was the right thing for her, comparing it to the risk of flying.
"If your plane had a 60 to 80 per cent chance of crashing, would you get on that plane?" she says.
"My risk is 68 per cent chance of getting breast cancer ... I'm going to do something about it and I'm going to find an alternative route."
The body is a 'sacred thing'
Jill Levy has a different view of managing risk and anxiety.
The 65-year-old BRCA1 carrier hasn't had a preventative mastectomy — yet.
She has, however, had an oophorectomy — the surgical removal of her ovaries.
A woman in a dark blue top smiles, sitting in front of a body of water on a sunny day.
Jill says being flexible in her approach to her health has been a freeing experience.(Supplied: Jill Levy)
Because there's no effective screening for ovarian cancer, Jill decided that she wasn't willing to risk her health in that regard.
"Whereas for breast cancer, the screening is extremely effective, so it was a no-brainer for me," she explains.
Jill says living with an 84 per cent chance of developing breast cancer is something she takes in her stride — it still means there's a 16 per cent chance of not getting cancer.
Jill says a holistic view of her health has allowed her to manage the anxiety that comes with having a genetic fault like BRCA.
"Not only is the body a sacred thing, but the body-mind is one entity ... the lifestyle aspect, healthy diet, healthy lifestyle, healthy attitude and outlook play a part in this."
Jill says emphatically that she is not over-confident about avoiding breast cancer thus far, but that being flexible in her approach to her health has been a freeing experience.
"The second I'm diagnosed with one cell of breast cancer, that is when I'll do a mastectomy," she explains.
"And maybe I'll change my mind about that.
"As I say, it's an ongoing decision that I make. But at the moment, that's how I feel."
RN in your inbox
Get more stories that go beyond the news cycle with our weekly newsletter.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Top jobs are reserved for non Malays.
Not any more. We got a makcik mudslime president n mudslimes in the cabinet. Heaps of mudslimes MPs , n mudslimes are privileged in NS...they dont serve in front line high risk units. No need go commando or armour units...so kpkb wat?

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
One cannot be smart if one doesn't eat pork.
Ever heard of a m&d scientist or mathematician ? Me neither.

You don't hear about progress made in neighbouring countries. Only tragedies. That's the way PAP wants it.
Cambridge-based Malaysian wins 'Nobel Prize for Cancer Research'
Thursday, 17 Oct 2019 03:35 PM MYT
BY KENNETH TEE
Dr Serena will receive the award together with her collaborators Dr Paul Calleja and Dr Ignacio Medina from the University of Cambridge at the University of Bern in Switzerland tomorrow. — Picture via Facebook
Dr Serena will receive the award together with her collaborators Dr Paul Calleja and Dr Ignacio Medina from the University of Cambridge at the University of Bern in Switzerland tomorrow. — Picture via Facebook
KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 17 — UK-based Malaysian scientist Dr Serena Nik-Zainal has been honoured with the Dr Josef Steiner Cancer Research Prize 2019 for her breakthrough research in accelerating the holistic interpretation of the cancer

MOST READ

1. HOME
  2. MALAYSIA
Lauded as first Malaysian woman to be Oxford don, Dr Masliza says actually second to Dr Phaik
Wednesday, 15 Jul 2020 10:26 AM MYT
BY RADZI RAZAK
Masliza is currently a member of the Steering Committee of the British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Heart Failure Research Task Force. — Picture via Facebook
Masliza is currently a member of the Steering Committee of the British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Heart Failure Research Task Force. — Picture via Facebook
KUALA LUMPUR, July 15 — Dr Masliza Mahmod has clarified that she is not, in fact, the first Malaysian woman to be an associate professor at Oxford University.
In a Facebook post on Monday, she clarified that she was preceded by another Malaysian woman who reached the same position at the prestigious British institution four years ago.

in-art-close-icon-128x128-16481b937f87b244a645cdbef0d930f8.png

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––

“Dear all, it has come to my attention that Dr Phaik Yeong Cheah has been Associate Professor in Bioethics and Engagement since 2016.
“Let us congratulate her on being the first Malaysian woman to achieve this at Oxford University.

Malaysian surgeon only woman to be honoured with prestigious American College of Surgeons fellowship
Tuesday, 06 Oct 2020 04:17 PM MYT
By MARK RYAN RAJ
Dr April Camilla Roslani (centre) was elated to be awarded the Honorary Fellowship at ACS. —  Picture courtesy of Dr April
Dr April Camilla Roslani (centre) was elated to be awarded the Honorary Fellowship at ACS. — Picture courtesy of Dr April
PETALING JAYA, Oct 6 — The American College of Surgeons (ACS) is the largest organisation of surgeons in the world, with over 82,000 members globally.
Becoming a part of the organisation — or a “Fellow” as they call it — is no easy feat. Because of the high standards held by ACS in their membership vetting process, only nine Fellowships were awarded to prominent surgeons this year — and one of them was from Malaysia, University of Malaya’s Professor Dr April Camilla Roslani.

Dr. Wan Wardatul Amani: 5 Facts About The Woman Who Actually Went To NASA
by
Syahrul

May 4, 2020
ADVERTISEMENT​

SHARES
ShareTweetWhatsapp

With the drama involving local student Azhar Ali still ongoing, allow us to shift your attention to our very own hero in outer space, Prof Madya Dr. Wan Wardatul Amani Wan Salim.
For those who don’t know, Prof Madya Dr. Wan Wardatul Amani, or Dr. Amani in short, made a big splash 6 years ago when she created history as the first ever woman in Malaysia to be involved in NASA’s space shuttle research programme to Mars! She was 36 at that time.
0a2ad7e0175926e07774b907824db77d.jpeg
Source: Harian Metro
According to Malaysiakini, Dr. Amani was the principal investigator in a team of scientists, technologists and engineers to work on NASA’s first ever device that can measure extracellular ion from a single cell in microgravity.

whoami

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Three Malaysian Scientists listed in The 'World's Most Influential Minds 2015'
Tan Su Lin
Januari 23, 2016 00:04 MYT

1602166492180.png

Professor Dr Siti Khatum Kamarudin, from Universiti Kebangsaan (UKM) Malaysia is one of the three who were listed in the top 1% of scientists in the world. - ukm.com.my photo

Three chemical engineering experts from Malaysia received scientific recognition as being the 'World's Most Influential Minds in 2015' by Thomson Reuters.
Professor Datuk Ir Dr Wan Ramli Wan Daud and Professor Dr Siti Khatum Kamarudin, both from Universiti Kebangsaan (UKM) Malaysia and both in the field of Hydrogen Energy and Fuel Cells, were listed in the top 1% of scientists in the world.

Meanwhile, in the same report released annually by Thomsom Reuters, Professor Dr Bassim H Hameed, in the field of Reactor Engineering and Adsorption from Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) made the list for the second time.
Professor Datuk Ir Dr Wan Ramli Wan Daud, who has a doctorate from University of Cambridge, considers this prestigious recognition one of the most significant honours in his 36-year career as a lecturer in UKM.

According to him, the Top Research Scientist Malaysia (TRSM) by Academy of Sciences Malaysia (ASM) is good as it encourages Malaysian scientists to register in the Web of Science and SCOPUS databases and regularly update their citation data.
From 9 million scientists throughout the world, 3,000 from 21 different science and social science field were listed in this year's report released on 14th January 2015.
These Highly Cited Researchers were selected by analysing citation data over an 11-year period (2003-2013) and identifying those who published the greatest number of highly cited papers, ranked at the top 1%.
The citation data was from the scientific citation database of Thomson Reuters Web of Science.

kaizien98

If we were to swap roles, most PSC scholarships would favor Muslim M&Ds due to race and religion, neglecting Christian and animist bumiputras.