• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

kawan2sgmy

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a sad story to share but it's not exactly sad, only thing is did not really make money, when I see other people buy property make tons of money.
I once bought a piece of land at Senai III industrial where Seagate used to be and many other companies.
After holding for abt 7-8 yrs decided to sell it off without much profit. The buyer was kind enough to buy over the company with the land.
My timing was bad, and I guess I did not do enough leg work, just let the fingers do the walking just won't do.

Yes good opportunity, I had a large detached factory in Singapore in the 1990s but lease only 30 years :( I got my father to sell it and invested in FH landed and the 99 year lease flatted factory. Performance is poor for CA for the flatted factory but rental better than residential, so we are keeping it till the current tenant ends the lease.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a sad story to share but it's not exactly sad, only thing is did not really make money, when I see other people buy property make tons of money.
I once bought a piece of land at Senai III industrial where Seagate used to be and many other companies.
After holding for abt 7-8 yrs decided to sell it off without much profit. The buyer was kind enough to buy over the company with the land.
My timing was bad, and I guess I did not do enough leg work, just let the fingers do the walking just won't do.

I am slightly luckier.
Most of my investments bought especially during downturns before 2012, the CA is doing very well.
But for those bought after 2012, the CA is only ok ok only.

Last edited:

purplecat

Ad_Shang_invite1.jpg Saw this via email... The Peak in Cambodia, launching at Shangri-La hotel this weekend. Seems like the next investment hotspot after Iskandar? But not that cheap, starting from US$170K!

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
PropertyGuru: 75% of Malaysians feel local real estate is expensive
October 21, 2015

The survey conducted by PropertyGuru showed that 75 percent of Malaysians are unhappy with the general conditions of the current property market.

The respondents attributed their dissatisfaction to expensive, overpriced properties as well as the lack of government action.

In its recent consumer sentiment survey, PropertyGuru found that only 25 percent of Malaysians are satisfied with the property market, down from the 32 percent registered in the sentiment survey last year.

“Most also remain pessimistic – expecting prices to spiral further across all property classes, albeit at a slower rate than in 2014,” it added.

The key reasons for the dissatisfaction are the perception that properties are overpriced (86 percent), rapid price increase (61 percent), slow economy (57 percent) and unpredictable market conditions (37 percent), said PropertyGuru.

78 percent of the respondents also cited the lack of effort by the government to address the present climate of the property sector as another reason for dissatisfaction. The figure is up from the 73 percent recorded in 1H 2014.

“Since the first half of 2013, there has been a constant decline in satisfaction among consumers. It has now hit the lowest so far, with 75 percent saying market conditions are unconducive,” said PropertyGuru Malaysia country manager Sheldon Fernandez.

http://images.edm.propertyguru.com/...erty_Affordability_Sentiment_Index_Report.pdf

http://www.propertyguru.com.my/prop...alaysians-feel-local-real-estate-is-expensive

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Invest in a country which has a Military Junta (Hun Sen) as Government?
Thanks but no thanks.

Last edited:

dumb1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Had thought of selling Sg terrace since price now dropping to put cash in My FD and semiretire in My but worry is currency loss and also My banks only guarentee 200k rm I believe, correct me if I got the figure wrong...worried about banks in My going bust sometimes as pple have talked of My going bsnkrupt soon....

Indeed surprised that you harbour such thoughts. Like that if My goes bust so will your My property. So better hang on to your Sg property?

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Indeed surprised that you harbour such thoughts. Like that if My goes bust so will your My property. So better hang on to your Sg property?

UOB, OCBC, Maybank, HSBC, Public..if all these banks go bust, we might as well keep the gold bars.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good news for renters, not so much for buyers (The STAR online, 1 Nov 2015)

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/11/01/Good-news-for-renters-no-so-much-for-buyers/

See, I was very right about renting for retirement in JB ha ha ha ha all dumb first timer sinkies seem to be delusional about having a good investment in JB. So far my decades of real estate experience in JB, Singapore, UK and OZ have paid off and made me money and saved me from bad investments.

Even if you buy for self stay don't be surprised that the value of your JB property might be negative thereby cancelling out any exit strategy, something that cannot be ignored.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, I think the article was frank and to the point. But I don't think many who bought Iskandar necessarily wanted to flip. They really wanted to invest there. Unfortunately, they wrongly thought back then that it will boom, given promises that there will be entertainment centers, schools, shopping centers, etc.

But one big factor most forget is that of the oversupply issue. The Number 1 question you must ask is: WHO is going to rent from you?

The article was being optimistic by saying rents will drop by 20-40%. The painful truth is, there might not even be any rents at all. Not just for a few months but at least several years. One property investor I spoke to recently when we discussed Iskandar even said it's possibly 10 years of no rental, given the number of new units to be released. I'm not sure if he's exaggerating but you can't say it won't happen also. Even if you slash your rental to a ridiculous 50% off, what's the point? You face damage to your condo's interior and still must top up a lot to pay off your loan. You become a slave to your tenant!

I empathize with those who have bought cos I think it's the cooling measures in Singapore introduced back in 2013 that made most people hungry to invest somewhere and suddenly, Iskandar seemed to be the attraction, since it is close to Singapore. There was really no strong reason to go in if you had studied all the various negative factors.

Some bought cos they've never seen a water view from their homes before. So they went to buy Puteri Harbour or Danga Bay. I don't think you are spared from the negative rental problem either. You pay more, you will be subject to a higher loan and naturally, you will expect higher rentals to cover your investment. But again, WHO will rent from you? Even if there are tenants, they can drive less than 5 minutes away and there are literally tens of thousands of other condos asking for much cheaper rents. The demand is simply not there. You can wait but it will be decades we are talking about before we could see things happening, if ever at all. By then, you can no longer recoup your big loss.

Some argue that the RM currency dropping means it's a good thing cos you are buying your condo cheaper. I hope you also realize by now the value of your condo is actually dropping against other currencies, eg SGD. I see buyers chasing after the RM, asking what's the latest conversion rate is, and then converting their SGD to RM every now and then. It started way back when SGD1=RM2.50 and people thought, wow, time to change, cos previously it was at 2.45. You keep chasing after the RM and till today, when it hit above RM3, you are already throwing away 15-20% of your money.

For own stay, I'm not too sure I'm comfortable also. For me, I must always have that possibility to get out if I need to. Buying a property is not like using a dishwasher. After you have finished, you throw the bottle away and it's done. You don't buy a property and then get stuck with it. If you can't sell it next time cos nobody is interested, that's bad. Sell it at a big loss and the whole thing doesn't make sense.

Unless you are rich, have say 20 or more properties scattered everywhere in the world, and somehow don't mind writing off the property in Iskandar, then maybe it's ok for you. But for most common people, it's just a big risk you have to factor into your overall plan.

Now, I'm not being a wet blanket. I'm discussing this purely from an "academic" point of view that applies to all sorts of property investment, not necessarily in Iskandar. We can all learn from one another. Mistakes made can be learnt. It's painful but we move on to be wiser.

I understand many here have bought Iskandar. If it works for you, that's fine. But if it doesn't, yes, it's painful. But I feel it's better to be frank about it rather than delusional. Till today, I still hear people saying they are confident of renting out their 9,000 unit Country Garden condo! Sorry man, I really don't buy into that. Always ask, the WHO question. And also, do you think your condo is the only option available for tenants to choose from?

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
See, I was very right about renting for retirement in JB ha ha ha ha all dumb first timer sinkies seem to be delusional about having a good investment in JB. So far my decades of real estate experience in JB, Singapore, UK and OZ have paid off and made me money and saved me from bad investments.

Even if you buy for self stay don't be surprised that the value of your JB property might be negative thereby cancelling out any exit strategy, something that cannot be ignored.

It's nice to be rich and feel rich when you have $2.6m sitting in your bank account at your disposal. But not many of us are as fortunate as you. Some of us, perhaps it could well be just only me here, may find that buying into JB is the best option considering our means and circumstances, and with no regrets. Maybe you are right that buying property in JB is the dumbest thing a person can ever do, our properties may be worth nothing and staying put in our HDB should have been the best option. It all going south but if so then we just live with those consequences and face them when and if they come, there would be no ignoring them at all. But right now we still choose to live in JB and in my view my family is enjoying a quality of life we never had back in Singapore.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Happy to hear ur family is happy & ur endeavours are paying off. Mine will commence next yr with the vp of my house in tebrau. Hope our experiences can be positive as well like yours.

This house is for retirement for my parents & my wife & i. No kids so easier to transit. Min can use for afew decades. Who gives a �� Abt rents & drop in value? ������

It's been two years since we moved in....say long not long say short not short....but overall it has been positive...kids don't even want to come back to Singapore and not missing much of what they used to have in Singapore, except for the public libraries...:p I am sure you would be looking forward to a new living experience...Mt Austin nearby has lots of good food!!!!

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's nice to be rich and feel rich when you have $2.6m sitting in your bank account at your disposal. But not many of us are as fortunate as you. Some of us, perhaps it could well be just only me here, may find that buying into JB is the best option considering our means and circumstances, and with no regrets. Maybe you are right that buying property in JB is the dumbest thing a person can ever do, our properties may be worth nothing and staying put in our HDB should have been the best option. It all going south but if so then we just live with those consequences and face them when and if they come, there would be no ignoring them at all. But right now we still choose to live in JB and in my view my family is enjoying a quality of life we never had back in Singapore.

Can't you do all that by simply renting out your hdb and renting? I mean I know of a Malay girl working as a concierge in a luxury condo, her family rent out their hdb and live in a condo in JB with concierge services, she laughs when she tells us how funny it is to be served by a concierge in JB while in Singapore she has to serve others as a concierge. You don't need any stretch of money to enjoy the good life in JB and still get out of pigeon hole Singapore with little or no risk to your biggest ticket item purchase.

People don't get rich in property without knowing where and when to invest. To me Singapore is dead town too, so look elsewhere.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal

If I have $2.6 million (RM 8.0 million), I do not need to invest in properties already. My fund manager will take care of all that. On top of that if all my properties already fully paid up with cash, loan free and plenty in bank, what for invest and have headaches. I be enjoying my life, jet setting my rented condos from London to New York, attending Celine Dion concert once a while in Las Vegas. Or fly into Fukuoka and have the sweetest strawberries during winter or persimmon (in season now) plus great translucent squids with Yamakazi whisky.

Envy....some people are so lucky. I can only dream.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can't you do all that by simply renting out your hdb and renting? I mean I know of a Malay girl working as a concierge in a luxury condo, her family rent out their hdb and live in a condo in JB with concierge services, she laughs when she tells us how funny it is to be served by a concierge in JB while in Singapore she has to serve others as a concierge. You don't need any stretch of money to enjoy the good life in JB and still get out of pigeon hole Singapore with little or no risk to your biggest ticket item purchase.

People don't get rich in property without knowing where and when to invest. To me Singapore is dead town too, so look elsewhere.

Renting a house in JB means we don't have a house to call our own, you can't do anything to it. We intend to settle down in JB and have our own place, and money is not sunk as rental expenditure but goes towards ownership. That's why we did not just buy anything off the market, but decided on the landed property that met our criteria, and most importantly the boss i.e. wife likes it. Rental may work for some who do not intend to own anything or settle down long term. But in our case we would like to own something, and live in it. I may not have $2.6m sitting in my bank account, but at least I can sit on RM750K of freehold land to call my own. Maybe 10 years later I still do not have $2.6m sitting in my bank, but maybe I can sit on RM2.6m of landed property that has appreciated in value. ...LOL!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
If I have $2.6 million (RM 8.0 million), I do not need to invest in properties already. My fund manager will take care of all that. On top of that if all my properties already fully paid up with cash, loan free and plenty in bank, what for invest and have headaches. I be enjoying my life, jet setting my rented condos from London to New York, attending Celine Dion concert once a while in Las Vegas. Or fly into Fukuoka and have the sweetest strawberries during winter or persimmon (in season now) plus great translucent squids with Yamakazi whisky.

Envy....some people are so lucky. I can only dream.

If I have $2.6m I would probably invest two million into properties to get passive income, and spend 600k jet setting and seeing the world on a 2 year sabbatical. But also dream only lah.....:p

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Renting a house in JB means we don't have a house to call our own, you can't do anything to it. We intend to settle down in JB and have our own place, and money is not sunk as rental expenditure but goes towards ownership. That's why we did not just buy anything off the market, but decided on the landed property that met our criteria, and most importantly the boss i.e. wife likes it. Rental may work for some who do not intend to own anything or settle down long term. But in our case we would like to own something, and live in it. I may not have $2.6m sitting in my bank account, but at least I can sit on RM750K of freehold land to call my own. Maybe 10 years later I still do not have $2.6m sitting in my bank, but maybe I can sit on RM2.6m of landed property that has appreciated in value. ...LOL!

Nothing is more important than having a piece of paper "HAK MILIK" with your name written on it.