• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surprisingly, this kitchen from the Sky Executive Suites condo looks very old fashioned. Like SG's HDB flat in the '80s. Do Johor condos generally look like that? I thought Sky Exec is supposed to be a more luxurious condo costing RM640 psf or so.

sky%20executive%20suites1_zps3s7sr1re.jpg

Was shocked to see this huge ugly trunking from the air-con! What's that for?!! Can't it be concealed?

sky%20executive%20suites2_zpsgrtxe9zg.jpg

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Weakened ringgit boosts Johor market
Posted on July 13, 2016

LEE YAN LI [email protected]

While the housing market has gone soft in face of stringent financing policies and unfavourable economic climate, the Iskandar Malaysia projects have an even better footing due to its international appeal.

StarProperty assistant general manager KC Tan said StarProperty.my’s Johor property fair last year has achieved overwhelming response with 10,000 visitors per day and a total of over RM50 million sales over the three days of the fair.

“The weakened Malaysia ringgit makes Malaysia an even more attractive investment option for Malaysians working across the straits as well as Singaporean investors,” she added.

The StarProperty.my Fair 2016 held in Johor Bahru from July 22 to 24 (Friday to Sunday) is poised to attract local and overseas buyers.

This is the second year StarProperty.my held the property fair in Johor. This event will be joined by award-winning developers such as IJM Land and Mah Sing which have netted several awards at the inaugural StarProperty.my Awards 2016 for their various distinguished projects.

Some of the projects trotted out in the fair include Tropicana Danga Cove and Tropicana Danga Bay by Tropicana, Ponderosa Woods and Ponderosa Avenue by Rawhide Sdn Bhd, Citywoods by Huayang, Citrine Residences and Emerald Residence by Sunway Iskandar Sdn Bhd, Plumeria Avenue by Udaland, Ion2 by Premier Plus Property and Twin Danga by MB Group.

Moreover, there are also projects from other regions such as Ion Delemen@Genting Highlands by NCT Group, and other exhibitors such as Gabungan AQRS Bhd, Pulai Spring Resort Bhd, Greenland and BCB Bhd.

For those on-the-fence buyers, the fair presents a good opportunity to learn more about the ins and outs of property purchase and investment in the Iskandar Malaysia area.

Speaker Rachel Lim will be talking about the general outlook of this year’s property market. Also, Dr Daniele Gambero and Suria will be presenting the development prospects of Iskandar Malaysia.

Speaker Khalil Adis will be sharing on tips for Gen Ys to purchase their first home, while others such as Kaygarn Tan and Gregory Low would impart their knowledge on the rental market.

Those who would like to learn more about Feng Shui could also come for Sandy Paw and Professor Joe Choo’s presentation.

Furthermore, homebuyers stand a chance to win prizes worth more than RM10,000.

The StarProperty.my Fair will be held from July 22 to 24 at JB City Square, Level 1, from 10am to 10pm. Admission is free.

For more information, visit fair.starproperty.my.

http://www.starproperty.my/index.php/articles/events/weakened-ringgit-boosts-johor-market/

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surprisingly, this kitchen from the Sky Executive Suites condo looks very old fashioned. Like SG's HDB flat in the '80s. Do Johor condos generally look like that? I thought Sky Exec is supposed to be a more luxurious condo costing RM640 psf or so.

Was shocked to see this huge ugly trunking from the air-con! What's that for?!! Can't it be concealed?

In general the designs are mediocre, quality of materials is average and workmanship is poor in JB. Only a few developments stand out, but they still lose to the better condos in SG. ID and renovation are not that cheap in JB due to proximity to SG, so you get to see interior in the photos frequently.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
In general the designs are mediocre, quality of materials is average and workmanship is poor in JB. Only a few developments stand out, but they still lose to the better condos in SG. ID and renovation are not that cheap in JB due to proximity to SG, so you get to see interior in the photos frequently.
It is all up to the owner. You pay less, you get cheapo renovations. You pay more, you get a plasterboard siding to cover over the ugly trunking. You pay a lot more, you get concealed trunking in the wall complete with cornice. In the end, you get what you pay.

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought air-cons are standard fittings by the condo developer. So the huge fat trunking at side was from them?

I've seen this "design" in another upcoming condo still building. This may be the norm for some condo projects in Johor!

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought air-cons are standard fittings by the condo developer. So the huge fat trunking at side was from them? I've seen this "design" in another upcoming condo still building. This may be the norm for some condo projects in Johor!
Normal aircon piping are concealed by developers. But when owners want to change the normal aircons to "inverter" type, the piping cannot be used. Copper piping have this rubber foam insulation which is the black thick sleeve about 50mm diameter. So how to hide? Use plastic trunking la.Also some condos do not permit hacking on the walls as this maybe the structural walls. Best way is to use trunking and cover over with plasterboard which will look like a slim column.By the way, to do a conceal piping or wiring, you need to hack into the walls. You need permission of your neighbours as it means vibrations of the hammer drills. You need to apply for permit from the management office and you can only work certain hours of the day. Then you got to plaster with cement and paint it after a few days later. More so the plastering may bot be as smooth as your existing wall, so more work to be done to skim coat the area. Imagine what is the cost. Whereas for surface mounting, all you need is a few drilling points to fix the trunking in place and the job can be done immediately. Nevermind my contracting mind I have today. :smile:

Last edited:

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

Partial Furnished unit with aircon, less than RM10k can cho swee swee already + double layers curtain. dun say i never tell u. :p
So it's good to buy PF unit - head not pain.

shiok, dun need to check in hotel to associate with bacteria anymore..wahaha...

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Partial Furnished unit with aircon, less than RM10k can cho swee swee already + double layers curtain. dun say i never tell u. :p
So it's good to buy PF unit - head not pain.

shiok, dun need to check in hotel to associate with bacteria anymore..wahaha...

Most value for money units cannot be sold to foreigners.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is all up to the owner. You pay less, you get cheapo renovations. You pay more, you get a plasterboard siding to cover over the ugly trunking. You pay a lot more, you get concealed trunking in the wall complete with cornice. In the end, you get what you pay.

I totally don't agree with you on this.
Just like there are hundreds of way to cook a chicken.
Doesn't means that you pay an exorbitant price in a fine dining restaurant you'll get the best tasting chicken.

Looking for a good renovation contractor, you need to at least see their previous work and not just from pictures.
Input your specifications on material choice, etc. instead of relying 100% on the contractor's recommendation.
Demand a work schedule and adhere to it and pay only accordingly to contract requirement and site check periodically on work quality.
I did all this and was very happy with the end result without having to pay a premium price!

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Author has high leveraging and holding powers with her family backing. In the long run, properties will do well if the population and economy are growing, which is the case for Malaysia.

When one is rich, analysing how money is spent makes little sense. Basically, one can buy almost anything without worrying or considering if it is worth it.

My colleague's rich dad works in the oil industry which he set up on his own over decades. When his sons got married, he bought for them each in Singapore, a semi-D house, condo and a Lexus car. All given to them for free and fully paid in CASH!

With wealth, you can buy a S$200,000 diamond ring, spend $700,000 on a sports car, and it's only a fraction of the money you have.

Since this is an Iskandar forum, if one is rich, he or she can buy several Iskander properties to enjoy or keep despite whatever negative news. Even if they lose money so what? The concept of risks or fear is not in them simply because the amount is small and probably insignificant to them. We already know there is a small handful of such people here. You can't ask them "Is it worth to buy this or that....?" They won't understand it fully. The simplest answer they can give is, If you're scared, don't buy.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
When one is rich, analysing how money is spent makes little sense. Basically, one can buy almost anything without worrying or considering if it is worth it.

My colleague's rich dad works in the oil industry which he set up on his own over decades. When his sons got married, he bought for them each in Singapore, a semi-D house, condo and a Lexus car. All given to them for free and fully paid in CASH!

With wealth, you can buy a S$200,000 diamond ring, spend $700,000 on a sports car, and it's only a fraction of the money you have.

Since this is an Iskandar forum, if one is rich, he or she can buy several Iskander properties to enjoy or keep despite whatever negative news. Even if they lose money so what? The concept of risks or fear is not in them simply because the amount is small and probably insignificant to them. We already know there is a small handful of such people here. You can't ask them "Is it worth to buy this or that....?" They won't understand it fully. The simplest answer they can give is, If you're scared, don't buy.

Yep and unfortunately many of the sinkies here not in the same league. SGD 200 to 300k is their life savings.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Author has high leveraging and holding powers with her family backing. In the long run, properties will do well if the population and economy are growing, which is the case for Malaysia.

That's what I was thinking too....she can just buy a few properties like that? Where did seed money come from if she needs to pay deposits and bank loans? And if all cash purchases, then is rich girl story and honestly that is hardly inspirational to peasants like me. Ok, maybe I am eating sour grapes.....

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's what I was thinking too....she can just buy a few properties like that? Where did seed money come from if she needs to pay deposits and bank loans? And if all cash purchases, then is rich girl story and honestly that is hardly inspirational to peasants like me. Ok, maybe I am eating sour grapes.....

Always think that there are many sinkies worse off than you

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let's do a deeper analysis on the article as below. The only part that is not clear in the article to me is the actual cash flow from the investments. Please feel free to give me any feedback if I make a mistake. Cheers.

After completing my bachelor’s degree, ...
>> Debt from degree course was incurred

I started working temporarily.
>> Possibly 1 year but fresh grads usually have difficulty saving due to low income and other expenses: assume 0 debt incurred.

Further down the road, I enrolled in Segi College to study Master in Business Administration and graduated.
>> Debt from master course was incurred.

Meantime, I also started investing in the stock market. After almost a year, I gained zero profit, which discouraged me to continue further. Hence, my stock market journey ended there.
>> Possibly slight negative debt was incurred.

I was 25 when I decided to invest in my first property. I bought a small unit in Cyberjaya, with 8 years GRR (guaranteed rental return) scheme. Of course I was unable to fork out the deposit on my own at this age. But I’m glad my parents came to my rescue. I was also lucky enough to acquire the Developer Interest Bearing Scheme (DIBS) at that time.

My first property had an 8-year GRR scheme with a stagnant capital appreciation.

>> Debt from property down payment was incurred.

After a while, my friend and I started a business together. Unfortunately, I was deceived and lost everything that I’d invested. I paid the price for trusting the wrong person.
>> Debt was incurred due to business failure.

I managed to survive with my 9 to 5 job as a medical representative. Life was normal and three years passed.
>> Some saving was possible due to income.

It was a big relief when I finally quit my job! But my parents did not support my decision wholeheartedly.
>> No more saving from income.

First, I acquired a serviced apartment located in Iskandar Malaysia dubbed EcoNest. The unit was quite small, roughly about 700 sq ft and cost about RM500,000 back then.

Setia Ecohill and Eco Majestic in Semenyih are also among the first properties I acquired. Even though many discouraged me by saying that I am making a wrong move, yet I followed my instincts and went for it.

I was among the pioneers to acquire the properties there, where its prices were much cheaper as compared to now. I can safely say that its values have appreciated immensely over time.
>> Possible capital appreciation but most properties in Malaysia have zero to negative cash flow unless they were bought many years ago.

I didn’t explore the opportunities outside of these areas as I have a very low appetite for risk. I prefer making risk-free decisions.

Now, I own over ten properties and co-own several other properties. I’m a step closer to achieve financial freedom and have never looked for another job again.

>> Given the large debt incurred and very little income, most of the properties could be funded from parents' saving. On the contrary, the author appears to be a very big risk-taker and is risk-free for her as bulk of the seed fund was not from her own pocket.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Let's do a deeper analysis on the article as below. The only part that is not clear in the article to me is the actual cash flow from the investments. Please feel free to give me any feedback if I make a mistake. Cheers.

After completing my bachelor’s degree, ...
>> Debt from degree course was incurred

I started working temporarily.
>> Possibly 1 year but fresh grads usually have difficulty saving due to low income and other expenses: assume 0 debt incurred.

Further down the road, I enrolled in Segi College to study Master in Business Administration and graduated.
>> Debt from master course was incurred.

Meantime, I also started investing in the stock market. After almost a year, I gained zero profit, which discouraged me to continue further. Hence, my stock market journey ended there.
>> Possibly slight negative debt was incurred.

I was 25 when I decided to invest in my first property. I bought a small unit in Cyberjaya, with 8 years GRR (guaranteed rental return) scheme. Of course I was unable to fork out the deposit on my own at this age. But I’m glad my parents came to my rescue. I was also lucky enough to acquire the Developer Interest Bearing Scheme (DIBS) at that time.

My first property had an 8-year GRR scheme with a stagnant capital appreciation.

After a while, my friend and I started a business together. Unfortunately, I was deceived and lost everything that I’d invested. I paid the price for trusting the wrong person.
>> Debt was incurred due to business failure.

I managed to survive with my 9 to 5 job as a medical representative. Life was normal and three years passed.
>> Some saving was possible due to income.

It was a big relief when I finally quit my job! But my parents did not support my decision wholeheartedly.
>> No more saving from income.

First, I acquired a serviced apartment located in Iskandar Malaysia dubbed EcoNest. The unit was quite small, roughly about 700 sq ft and cost about RM500,000 back then.

Setia Ecohill and Eco Majestic in Semenyih are also among the first properties I acquired. Even though many discouraged me by saying that I am making a wrong move, yet I followed my instincts and went for it.

I was among the pioneers to acquire the properties there, where its prices were much cheaper as compared to now. I can safely say that its values have appreciated immensely over time.
>> Possible capital appreciation but most properties in Malaysia have zero to negative cash flow unless they were bought many years ago.

I didn’t explore the opportunities outside of these areas as I have a very low appetite for risk. I prefer making risk-free decisions.

Now, I own over ten properties and co-own several other properties. I’m a step closer to achieve financial freedom and have never looked for another job again.

>> Given the large debt incurred and very little income, most of the properties could be funded from parents' saving. On the contrary, the author appears to be a very big risk-taker and is risk-free for her as bulk of the seed fund was not from her own pocket.

What I could not understand well was this paragraph, "My investment spree continued and I obtained many properties as the years passed. I purchased several properties in Johor, but Kuala Lumpur and Klang Valley remained as my favourite spots for investment. I didn’t explore the opportunities outside of these areas as I have a very low appetite for risk. I prefer making risk-free decisions."

Just like that? Just obtain a few properties over the years? If only she tells how she got the money to do that, and how long it took.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
What I could not understand well was this paragraph, "My investment spree continued and I obtained many properties as the years passed. I purchased several properties in Johor, but Kuala Lumpur and Klang Valley remained as my favourite spots for investment. I didn’t explore the opportunities outside of these areas as I have a very low appetite for risk. I prefer making risk-free decisions."

Just like that? Just obtain a few properties over the years? If only she tells how she got the money to do that, and how long it took.

"I was born and brought up in a well-to-do family and had the kind of childhood that everyone would yearn for".

Your answers can be found in her own description on herself above!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I was born and brought up in a well-to-do family and had the kind of childhood that everyone would yearn for".

Your answers can be found in her own description on herself above!

I thought that was before her dad retired and all that? Probably retired very rich!