• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha... But there are agents and presenters out there who have sometimes said Iskandar will become vibrant and all that jazz because in time to come, Singaporeans will move over there due to the high cost of living in SG.

I suppose this is to falsely allay the fears of investors who themselves doubt that Iskandar will prosper. There is just too much land there. As one property analyst put it well, they are trying to create in a short time what Singapore painstaking built over 50 years.

Amazingly, our MRT train system and urban planning that we see in recent years were not planned just 5 or 10 years ago. Many of them were planned way back in the 1970s. That's the result of a far-sighted LKY.

For iskandar? It leaves much to be desired. Got spare cash buy for oneself a nice house to enjoy and don't think so much. But for investment, I'm not sure....

In my view it is a moot point whether Iskandar depends on Singapore to succeed. The history and connection between the two states is already so interlinked to begin with. I do not deny that Singapore would contribute significantly to Iskandar, but to say that apart from Singapore, Iskandar cannot make it? I believe JB would want to benefit from SG as much as possible, but yet it is also courting investments from other countries. I doubt the JB govt or Sultan look to Singapore as the salvation of Iskandar.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Haha... But there are agents and presenters out there who have sometimes said Iskandar will become vibrant and all that jazz because in time to come, Singaporeans will move over there due to the high cost of living in SG.

I suppose this is to falsely allay the fears of investors who themselves doubt that Iskandar will prosper. There is just too much land there. As one property analyst put it well, they are trying to create in a short time what Singapore painstaking built over 50 years.

Amazingly, our MRT train system and urban planning that we see in recent years were not planned just 5 or 10 years ago. Many of them were planned way back in the 1970s. That's the result of a far-sighted LKY.

For iskandar? It leaves much to be desired. Got spare cash buy for oneself a nice house to enjoy and don't think so much. But for investment, I'm not sure....

Well, I'm one of those who moved over because of the high cost of living in SG! :biggrin:

Yes, it is true that JB would always lag behind SG in more ways than one, esp in the cost of living! ;p

Anyway, as suggested, one possibility is to convert HDB from residential property to investment property by buying a property in JB to stay and renting out the HDB. Maybe for some people this could be more possible than they think.

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal
List of upcoming hospitality projects (hotels, resort & villas, hotel residences and branded serviced apartments)
*four star and above

1.Fraser Place Puteri Harbour (Frasers Hospitality, 26 fl, u/c, opening 2017)

2.Capri by Fraser Johor Bahru (Frasers Hospitality, 360 rooms, 52 fl, u/c, opening 2017)

3.Pan Pacific Serviced Suites Puteri Harbour (Pan Pacific, 205 units, 16 fl, u/c, opening 2018)

4.Hyatt Puteri Harbour (Hyatt Hotels, 312 rooms, 26 fl, TBA, opening 2020)

5.The Fullerton Puteri Harbour (Far East Hospitality, TBA)

6.Oasia Puteri Harbour (Far East Hospitality, TBA)

7.Somerset Puteri Harbour (The Ascott, 204 units, 6 fl, completed, opening 2015)

8.Somerset Medini (The Ascott, 310 units, 33 fl, completed, opening 2016)

9.Citadines Medini (The Ascott, 214 units, 30 fl, u/c, opening 2019)

10.Shama Medini (Onyx Hospitality, 196 units, 20 fl, u/c, opening 2018)

11.Ozo Medini (Onyx Hospitality, 198 rooms, 16 fl, u/c, opening 2018)

12.Amari Johor Bahru (Onyx Hospitality, 242 rooms, 18 fl, u/c, opening 2017)

13.The Legoland Hotel Johor Bahru (Legoland, 249 rooms, 7 fl, completed, opening 2014)

14.Meliá Iskandar Malaysia (Meliá Hotels International, 450 rooms, 37 fl, u/c, opening 2019)

15.Innside by Meliá (Meliá Hotels International, 350 rooms, 37 fl, u/c, opening 2019)

16.Jen Puteri Harbour (Marriott International, 283 rooms, 5 fl, completed, opening 2015)

17.Renaissance Johor Bahru (Marriott International, 345 rooms, 20 fl, completed, opening 2013)

18.Ritz-Carlton Residences Johor Bahru (Marriott International, 45 fl, TBA)

19.Dorsett Medini (Dorsett Hospitality International, 250 rooms, 25 fl, TBA)

20.Dorsett Johor Bahru (Dorsett Hospitality International, 351 rooms, 28 fl, TBA)

21.Avani Johor Bahru (Minor Hotel Group, 190 rooms, 25 fl, TBA)

22.Anantara Desaru Resort & Villas (Minor Hotel Group, 103 rooms + 20 villas, u/c, opening 2018)

23.Sheraton Medini (Starwood, 248 rooms, 31 fl, TBA, opening 2019)

24.The Westin Desaru Resort (Starwood, 275 rooms, 4 blocks of 4-5 fl, u/c, opening 2017)

25.St. Giles Southkey Johor Bahru (CHM Hotels, 262 rooms, 16 fl, TBA, opening 2019)

26.Cititel Southkey Johor Bahru (CHM Hotels, 650 rooms, TBA)

27.The Boulevard Southkey Johor Bahru (CHM Hotels, 450 rooms, TBA)

28.Hilton Garden Inn (Hilton Worldwide, 250 rooms, 17 fl, u/c, opening 2018)

29.DoubleTree by Hilton (Hilton Worldwide, 335 rooms, 30 fl, completed, opening 2014)

30.Ramada Encore Meridin Johor Bahru (Whyndam Hotel Group, 322 rooms, 26 fl, u/c, opening 2017)

31.Ramada Meridin Johor Bahru (Whyndam Hotel Group, 322 deluxe rooms, 26 fl, u/c, opening 2018)

32.Aman Resort & Villas (Aman Resorts, 46 suites + 52 villas, u/c, opening 2017)

33.The Datai and Anak Datai Desaru (Datai Hotel & Resorts, 60 suites + 40 villas, u/c, opening 2018)

34.The Desa Desaru Plantation Hotel (386 rooms, 9 blocks of 5 fl, u/c, opening 2017)

35.Impiana Hotel Senai (Impiana Hotels & Resorts, 172 rooms, 10 fl, u/c, opening 2017)

36.TH Hotel Senai (TH Hotel & Residence, 204 rooms, 8 fl, u/c, opening 2017)

37.Novotel Johor Bahru (AccorHotels, 338 rooms, 22 fl, TBA)

38.Capital Suites Capital City Johor Bahru (Hatten Hospitality, 630 rooms, 18 fl, u/c, opening 2018)

39.Amerin Johor Bahru (Amerin, 176 rooms, 17 fl, opening 2016)

40.Holiday Villa City Centre (Holiday Villa Hotels & Resorts, 345 rooms, 28 fl, u/c, opening 2016)

41.D-Villa Hotel & Residence Johor Bahru (Holiday Villa Hotels & Resorts, 360 unit, 30 fl, TBA , opening 2018)

42.Swiss Inn Johor Bahru (Swiss-Garden International, 205 rooms, 10 fl, completed, opening 2016)

43.*5 star Residences Southern Marina Puteri Harbour (Shangri-La, 38 fl, TBA, opening 2019)

44.*5 star Hotel @ Coronation Square JBCC (Rotana Hotel & Resorts, 30 fl, TBA)

45.*5 star Hotel Residences @ Johor Bahru City Centre (Banyan Tree, 53 fl, TBA)

46.*5 star Hotel @ Topicana Danga Bay (Starwood, TBA)

47.*5 star Hotel @ RF Princess Cove (Marriott, 80 fl, TBA)

48.*4 star Hotel @ Paradigm Johor Bahru (TBA, 296 rooms, 17 fl, u/c, opening 2017)

49.*4 star Hotel @ D'Pristine Medini (TBA, 300 rooms, 36 fl, u/c, opening 2018)

freekazoid

Alfrescian
Loyal
Best places to live in the world
Source: Mercer quality of living city survey 2016

1 Vienna Austria
2 Zurich Switzerland
3 Auckland New Zealand
4 Munich Germany
5 Vancouver Canada
6 Dusseldorf Germany
7 Frankfurt Germany
8 Geneva Switzerland
9 Copenhagen Denmark
10 Sydney Australia
11 Amsterdam Netherlands
12 Wellington New Zealand
13 Berlin Germany
14 Bern Switzerland
15 Toronto Canada
15 Melbourne Australia
17 Ottawa Canada
18 Hamburg Germany
19 Luxembourg Luxembourg
19 Stockholm Sweden
21 Brussels Belgium
21 Perth Australia
23 Montreal Canada
24 Stuttgart Germany
24 Nurnberg Germany
26 Singapore Singapore
27 Adelaide Australia
28 San Francisco US
28 Canberra Australia
30 Helsinki Finland
30 Oslo Norway
32 Calgary Canada
33 Dublin Ireland
34 Boston US
35 Honolulu US
36 Brisbane Australia
37 Paris France
38 Lyon France
39 Barcelona Spain
39 London UK
41 Milan Italy
42 Lisbon Portugal
43 Chicago US
44 New York US
44 Tokyo Japan
46 Seattle US
46 Kobe Japan
46 Edinburgh UK
49 Los Angeles US
49 Yokohama Japan
51 Washington DC US
52 Madrid Spain
53 Birmingham UK
53 Rome Italy
55 Glasgow UK
56 Pittsburgh US
57 Philadelphia US
58 Osaka Japan
59 Aberdeen UK
60 Leipzig Germany
61 Minneapolis US
62 Nagoya Japan
63 Dallas US
64 Belfast UK
65 Houston US
66 Miami US
67 Atlanta US
68 St. Louis US
69 Prague Czech Republic
70 Detroit US
70 Hong Kong Hong Kong
72 Pointe-a-Pitre Guadeloupe
73 Seoul South Korea
74 San Juan Puerto Rico
75 Dubai United Arab Emirates
76 Ljubljana Slovenia
77 Budapest Hungary
78 Montevideo Uruguay
79 Vilnius Lithuania
79 Warsaw Poland
81 Abu Dhabi United Arab Emirates
82 Bratislava Slovakia
83 Port Louis Mauritius
84 Taipei Taiwan
85 Durban South Africa
86 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
87 Athens Greece
88 Limassol Cyprus
89 Tallinn Estonia
90 Riga Latvia
91 Busan South Korea
92 Cape Town South Africa
93 Buenos Aires Argentina
94 Santiago Chile
95 Johannesburg South Africa
96 Panama City Panama
97 Victoria Seychelles
98 Zagreb Croatia
99 Wroclaw Poland
100 Taichung Taiwan
101 Shanghai China
102 Bandar Seri Begawan Brunei
103 Johor Bahru Malaysia
104 Tel Aviv Israel

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even when the cost of cars and housing in general are coming down in Singapore ( which makes Singapore more affordable ), the jams to JB are still persisting. No matter how the cost come down here, it is still way higher than elsewhere.

And we are talking about quality of LIFE here. Singapore got quality of life? Think again. I always tot Singapore is the best place to live in before I step overseas. After one time to JB, I never looked back.

Well, I'm one of those who moved over because of the high cost of living in SG! :biggrin:

Yes, it is true that JB would always lag behind SG in more ways than one, esp in the cost of living! ;p

Anyway, as suggested, one possibility is to convert HDB from residential property to investment property by buying a property in JB to stay and renting out the HDB. Maybe for some people this could be more possible than they think.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even when the cost of cars and housing in general are coming down in Singapore ( which makes Singapore more affordable ), the jams to JB are still persisting. No matter how the cost come down here, it is still way higher than elsewhere.

And we are talking about quality of LIFE here. Singapore got quality of life? Think again. I always tot Singapore is the best place to live in before I step overseas. After one time to JB, I never looked back.

I guess the best living index is screwed, JB is 103 vs 26 Singapore and 15 Melbourne.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess the best living index is screwed, JB is 103 vs 26 Singapore and 15 Melbourne.

Look carefully. 18 European cities out of Top 30 and it consist of 7 German cities.
The research papers must be funded by EU.
Munich and Frankfurt is full of those sex and drunkards even before the refugee crisis.
The area opposite the main train station are the worst.
Who would want to go here now as tourist?
And Latvia rank better than Busan? :biggrin:

nitecrawllerr

Alfrescian
Loyal

Haha. I second that.

One has to work till one drop dead. Is that quality of life?

ECboy

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=21j_OCNLuYg

Please watch full video , n you will find your answer too.

Living in Jb vs Living in Sg , I finally found my answers , after living in JB for 5 years vs living in SG for 50 years. It only take me 5years to fully own a Freehold Landed , got pond , garden .... possible to be self substaintable if I follow this guy :biggrin:

I went to the farm before in CM, very basic place but nice.

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal
PropertyGuru.com.sg is organising a fair this weekend with the headline:

With the RM falling 30% against the SGD, is it the best time to invest in Malaysia?”

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Came across this piece of article about why HDB is not an investment.

http://sgyounginvestment.blogspot.sg/2015/12/your-hdb-flat-is-not-really-investment.html

Think the author over-analyzed the topic in an academic manner. Sounded like a young chap with little experience.

The HDB market is already topsy-turvy now. What is a cheap flat ? What is an expensive flat? What is considered affordable? There are no more clear guidelines.

A few decades ago, HDB flats were clearly catered for the commoners. But no thanks to the greedy PM Lee Hsien Loong, like private properties, they have also become speculative in the last 5-10 years. Prices have shot up by more than 60% in a record short time.

No one consciously buys a flat as an investment. But due to the volatility even in flat prices these days, public housing has in a way become a viable route to make money from. This deviates from the original fundamental purpose.

tstar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Still think about a first world?

if you read news @ china websites like sina, you will be most amazed that the property price in shang hai is going up crazy now. unprecedented.

bigger (160 sqm) hdb-style flats catered to a big family rises 5 mil rmb that is 1 plus mil sgd in just eight months. already sold for about 4 mil sgd. no amenities. no swimming pools.

buyers are also crazy and shouting "shut up and take my money. " A seller has to decide whom to sell by casting a lot.
average people compared with shanghai? nice and cozy? we should thank the gvt for not letting these people coming in freely. otherwise,,no little hope for young couples to buy a flat in pungol.

The shang hai people then change money and invest in overseas properties. how come china developers in jb got so much money and power? china invests heavily in manufacturing and R&D, and is by no means short of money. they can wait patiently for jb to develop.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Came across this piece of article about why HDB is not an investment.

http://sgyounginvestment.blogspot.sg/2015/12/your-hdb-flat-is-not-really-investment.html

Is your HDB flat not really an investment?
First, I would not agree or disagree that HDB is not an investment.
We just look at the facts to decided.

My married colleague, a young couple, was fortunate to get themselves a HDB 4rm unit at the Pinnacle in Tg Pagar about 6 years ago.
It cost them more than S$300K and they were complaining about the blood sucking HDB.
Now, they sold it for more than S$900K, a profit of about S$600,000 and more than 5 years of free lodging.
They bought a resale unit in the suburb for less then the profit earned.
And they are smiling to the bank and forgot entirely about that blood sucking demon they were cursing 6 years ago.

The Pinnacle has about 1,800 units of 4 and 5 rm flats and their asking price range from $700,000 to S1,100,000, depending on unit size and floor level.
All 1,800 owners are reaping a profit of not less then $600K average.
1,800 x $600,000 = 1,080,000,000!
$S1 billion!
Just one project, it managed to generate so much money for the owners is such a short time without doing much.
Who say Singapore is a bad place to live!
Where on earth you can find a country where the citizens can make so much money (perhaps while the govt make even more).

Surely not all will be capitalizing on this but many will so instantly, about S$1 billion were made, some on papers some in real hard cash!
It seems like all BTO units especially the design & build types are realizing a sure profit of at least 50% after the MOP.
The next Design & Build project that will be realizing another S$ billion for the owners will be the Skyville and Skyterrace @ Dawson, Queenstown and many more others.
When even an illiterate uncle can profit S$600,000 for doing nothing and when people can make good money easily, they will spend easily too.
Isn't this what economy is all about?

And back to the earlier question, what say you, guys?