• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Property News

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you so impatient? Medini Puteri Harbour is scheduled to complete in 2017/2018. Wait lah until fully complete. If no ppl then you say not good and I will agree with you. Meanwhile have a kit kat and take a break. :smile:

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Building every infrastructure is good, but what's the plan to attract the people? I am sure you read the article I posted this morning, it acknowledge that alot of things coming but no one to fill it up.

The infrastructure is part of the plan to attract the people. And because the JB govt and Sultan is behind the Iskandar project, that in itself is also a plus factor. Unless the JB administration has a fail wish, I believe they will also think of ways to attract the people to stay or invest.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least on stock market got statistics.

On Iskandar, "I heard Medini is a flop" or "Educity like dead ants" showed that the person had never been there before. Does he know how there are 6 universities there? Does he know the Reading University shifted its campus from JB 2 months ago? Or even Raffles American School? Like I said, not been there, how much does he know? With due respect, it is better to keep quiet.

Many keyboard warriors don't even know that the university students occupy a huge chunk of nearby condo units. Many still think that Iskandar is dotted with palm trees. That's very sad.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many keyboard warriors don't even know that the university students occupy a huge chunk of nearby condo units. Many still think that Iskandar is dotted with palm trees. That's very sad.

Been there before, anyway this will have no end, so I leave it as that.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
You like it, or you don't like it. The facts and stat are all there. Every other week, the population in Iskandar is growing. People from all over the world are flocking in to work and study. People are still finding places to rent at a normal pace. Previous few years were too hectic and over-hype. Now they are growing more rationally.

You like it or you don't like it, Singapore manufacturing industry has fallen for the 10th consecutive month. Iskandar is growing very very strong. PTP is growing every other month while PSA volumes are declining. These are all reported in the Straits Times ( I am rather surprised Singapore press can report this negative news openly.. I guess there really aint any good news in Singapore to report on anymore )

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why you so impatient? Medini Puteri Harbour is scheduled to complete in 2017/2018. Wait lah until fully complete. If no ppl then you say not good and I will agree with you. Meanwhile have a kit kat and take a break. :smile:

One property agent friend of mine has been pushing Sentosa Cove to me and said now is the BESTEST time of all to snap a Sentosa Cove sea view leasehole unit. I ask him how much he said S$2000psf. I nearly pointed him the middle finger. At RM 6000psf you are pushing me to buy and this is already all time low? Ridiculous! I cant wait to stay in my sea view Freehold which cost just RM 1000psf! The view at sentosa cove is not 6 times better than Puteri Harbour right? Or the girls are 6 times prettier? My foot!

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
You like it, or you don't like it. The facts and stat are all there. Every other week, the population in Iskandar is growing. People from all over the world are flocking in to work and study. People are still finding places to rent at a normal pace. Previous few years were too hectic and over-hype. Now they are growing more rationally.

You like it or you don't like it, Singapore manufacturing industry has fallen for the 10th consecutive month. Iskandar is growing very very strong. PTP is growing every other month while PSA volumes are declining. These are all reported in the Straits Times ( I am rather surprised Singapore press can report this negative news openly.. I guess there really aint any good news in Singapore to report on anymore )

Singapore is dead in the water, that's why I am pulling out slowly to go across to you know where. My strategy is to park money away from Singapore slowly and hope that whatever investments made overseas is stronger than SGD. But progress in JB is two edged sword, if it really grows then it would not be cheap anymore. It would be just as costly to live in. In fact I never buy international brand items in Johor at all, nearly the same as SG, so if street food and other things also increase, that's it. Kiss cheap retirement good bye.

Last edited:

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal
One property agent friend of mine has been pushing Sentosa Cove to me and said now is the BESTEST time of all to snap a Sentosa Cove sea view leasehole unit. I ask him how much he said S$2000psf. I nearly pointed him the middle finger. At RM 6000psf you are pushing me to buy and this is already all time low? Ridiculous! I cant wait to stay in my sea view Freehold which cost just RM 1000psf! The view at sentosa cove is not 6 times better than Puteri Harbour right? Or the girls are 6 times prettier? My foot!

99 year lease properties, do not touch unless SC reach HDB prices.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
Higher education institutions in Educity/ Medini todate
=============================

Newcastle University, UK
Marlborough College, UK
University of Southampton, Uk
Netherlands Maritime Institute of Technology
University of Reading, Uk
Raffles Unversity, Singapore
Multimedia Unversity, Malaysia
Management Development Institute of Singapore
Raffles American School, Singapore
Johan Cruyff Institute for Sports Studies

Latest to join is Sunway University Iskandar to begin intake in 2017.
If you guys want to know how successful Sunway University is, just visit them in Bandar Sunway and see for yourself in person.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

Things like prestige, safety and accessibility are built into the price. The two are totally different products.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Higher education institutions in Educity/ Medini todate
=============================

Newcastle University, UK
Marlborough College, UK
University of Southampton, Uk
Netherlands Maritime Institute of Technology
University of Reading, Uk
Raffles Unversity, Singapore
Multimedia Unversity, Malaysia
Management Development Institute of Singapore
Raffles American School, Singapore
Johan Cruyff Institute for Sports Studies

Latest to join is Sunway University Iskandar to begin intake in 2017.
If you guys want to know how successful Sunway University is, just visit them in Bandar Sunway and see for yourself in person.

No doubt having international institutions located in close proximity is impressive. The success of the tertiary institutions depend strongly on the value of the certificates in employers' eye. This confidence among the employers takes time to build up. Meanwhile the institutions will be pressurised to generate income. At the moment it feels a bit like the early stage of Cyberjaya. It is interesting to watch how Medini unfolds.

Tekkun

Alfrescian
Loyal
No doubt having international institutions located in close proximity is impressive. The success of the tertiary institutions depend strongly on the value of the certificates in employers' eye. This confidence among the employers takes time to build up. Meanwhile the institutions will be pressurised to generate income. At the moment it feels a bit like the early stage of Cyberjaya. It is interesting to watch how Medini unfolds.

I believe due to the strong UK currency and weak RM, many would opt to study 2 years locally and complete the balance in UK. Some do it all locally. Afterall it is the same university who confer the degrees. This is what we call 2+1 or 3+0 options.
Nottingham, Heriot Watt, Monash, etc are all doing this already and the standard is no way inferior to those overseas.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe due to the strong UK currency and weak RM, many would opt to study 2 years locally and complete the balance in UK. Some do it all locally. Afterall it is the same university who confer the degrees. This is what we call 2+1 or 3+0 options.
Nottingham, Heriot Watt, Monash, etc are all doing this already and the standard is no way inferior to those overseas.

A 2+1 is better but this is a UK bachelor degree (versus Honours). It really depends on the employers. At the moment, most Singapore government ministries and agencies do not recognise these degrees from Iskandar institutions.

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
A 2+1 is better but this is a UK bachelor degree (versus Honours). It really depends on the employers. At the moment, most Singapore government ministries and agencies do not recognise these degrees from Iskandar institutions.

The last I checked, Newcastle medical degree is not recognised in Sg if from Iskandar but International Medical University in KL graduates can work in Sg..

Zelphon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I really enjoy reading all the views here..

I am a vested owner of R&F..
Buying it as an Exit Strategy..

Despite all the doom and gloom, I think at the end of the day, all investors who put in any money into any investments must be prepared to lose it all..
I am already holding SGD 100K paper losses in SG stock market..About RM 60k losses in forex due to RM 3: SGD 1..

It is painful...Still, life goes on..

Perhaps, all JB condos will collapse etc...
Super oversupply... All the condos near CIQ will be flooded.. etc

End of the day, one must not lose till the extent to commit suicide lah...
Buy a freehold property in Malaysia is actually low risk provided you have holding power...

just to share, my mum bought a link terrace in Taman Daya 15 years ago at around RM 120,000 during the time 1 SGD : RM 1.40..
Today, that terrace is worth only RM280,000..

Is it a loss? Possibly... Is it a gain.. possibly too..
Still.. it is still standing and rented out at RM700 a month...
It can be a poor investment choice but still it is not a total loss...

mpan12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if you guys know this, many universities these days are more and more profit-oriented than ever before. It's sad. Even some faculties in NUS and NTU aren't as fantastic as the public thinks. We have young graduates who joined us and we find their standards are not as solid as those who graduated more than a decade ago.

They have been increasing places in our local universities. A degree today doesn't mean much. 30 years ago, if you don't do so well in your A levels, you're pretty much screwed unless your parents are rich enough to send you overseas to study. Today, you can flunk your O or A levels. It's no big deal. There are so many private institutions to choose from. One can get straight D's or almost F's. You got money, they somehow have a place for you to get at least a basic degree.

So why am I saying all these? All those so-called "well-known" universities mentioned previously in Iskandar... they too are no different. They want to make money by locating in this region. I don't care how great the university's name may sound traditionally, but I can tell you if I am an employer, I will not be impressed by someone who graduated from say Reading University located in Iskandar. It's just not the same impression.

Even quite well-known universities are now offering online degree courses! They claim everything in the syllabus is the same. So it seems a student is getting the same "quality" education as those who study on campus. Sorry, but I don't buy this bullshit. Really prestigious universities won't do this kind of money-making education business. That's why you are likely not to find the very best unis like Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard or MIT in this situation.

And I don't understand why some are always comparing Sentosa Cove to Puteri Harbour. They are apples and oranges. It's like comparing a Porsche to Subaru WRX. Both may have the same top speed and acceleration. But a Porsche is class, prestige, high-end brand. You also can't compare Bonia handbags with LV/Gucci. Both brands may be made of very good leather but the latter smell of a posh/luxurious lifestyle.

Sentosa Cove is located in a 1st world country with excellent security, education system, advanced healthcare, amenities, strong economy, attractive business hub. How can you say it's ridiculous to pay so much for Sentosa Cove while Puteri Harbour costs only a fraction of it? That's not a fair comparison. Can your kid travel to our prestigious Raffles Institution or Girls School easily if she lives in Puteri Harbour? No way. Is there a subway conveniently located around Puteri Harbour to take you to places? Nope. Not any time soon. Not in this decade perhaps. In Singapore, you can move around easily and quickly by our excellent transport system.

You can't ask a Forbes Who's Who richest to drive a Lexus and buy a Puteri Harbour penthouse because it's cheaper than a Ferrari or a Sentosa Cove house. If you think that way, you just aren't rich enough! :smile:

enjoylife77

Alfrescian
Loyal

Despite all the doom and gloom, I think at the end of the day, all investors who put in any money into any investments must be prepared to lose it all..
I am already holding SGD 100K paper losses in SG stock market..About RM 60k losses in forex due to RM 3: SGD 1..

Buy a freehold property in Malaysia is actually low risk provided you have holding power...

just to share, my mum bought a link terrace in Taman Daya 15 years ago at around RM 120,000 during the time 1 SGD : RM 1.40..

I would think your Taman Daya is a sound investment as it gives you rental income and capital gain even after currency translation.

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
To be frank here, we all aren't rich enough and that is why we are buying PH as an Exit Strategy as one learned forummer has pointed out.

In actuality, I know of schoolmates who was educated in Nanyang Girls and Raffles... walk in and out of the super congested custom for over 10 years and are still very much alive and kicking. These chaps are made of steel, unlike the local Singapore boys who cant even cross a road by himself and uses their own guns to end their lives in the police force etc

Obviously one cannot compare PH to Sentosa Cove. However, the views are pretty much the same, except that Sentosa Cove faces a much more polluted channel with Ships queuing up by our Straits. I know this because I am often out on leisurely cruises with my friends who stay in Sentosa Cock.

If its priced 10% or 20% more than PH I will surely buy. But to be priced 500-600% more is ridiculous.

Not sure if you guys know this, many universities these days are more and more profit-oriented than ever before. It's sad. Even some faculties in NUS and NTU aren't as fantastic as the public thinks. We have young graduates who joined us and we find their standards are not as solid as those who graduated more than a decade ago.

They have been increasing places in our local universities. A degree today doesn't mean much. 30 years ago, if you don't do so well in your A levels, you're pretty much screwed unless your parents are rich enough to send you overseas to study. Today, you can flunk your O or A levels. It's no big deal. There are so many private institutions to choose from. One can get straight D's or almost F's. You got money, they somehow have a place for you to get at least a basic degree.

So why am I saying all these? All those so-called "well-known" universities mentioned previously in Iskandar... they too are no different. They want to make money by locating in this region. I don't care how great the university's name may sound traditionally, but I can tell you if I am an employer, I will not be impressed by someone who graduated from say Reading University located in Iskandar. It's just not the same impression.

Even quite well-known universities are now offering online degree courses! They claim everything in the syllabus is the same. So it seems a student is getting the same "quality" education as those who study on campus. Sorry, but I don't buy this bullshit. Really prestigious universities won't do this kind of money-making education business. That's why you are likely not to find the very best unis like Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard or MIT in this situation.

And I don't understand why some are always comparing Sentosa Cove to Puteri Harbour. They are apples and oranges. It's like comparing a Porsche to Subaru WRX. Both may have the same top speed and acceleration. But a Porsche is class, prestige, high-end brand. You also can't compare Bonia handbags with LV/Gucci. Both brands may be made of very good leather but the latter smell of a posh/luxurious lifestyle.

Sentosa Cove is located in a 1st world country with excellent security, education system, advanced healthcare, amenities, strong economy, attractive business hub. How can you say it's ridiculous to pay so much for Sentosa Cove while Puteri Harbour costs only a fraction of it? That's not a fair comparison. Can your kid travel to our prestigious Raffles Institution or Girls School easily if she lives in Puteri Harbour? No way. Is there a subway conveniently located around Puteri Harbour to take you to places? Nope. Not any time soon. Not in this decade perhaps. In Singapore, you can move around easily and quickly by our excellent transport system.

You can't ask a Forbes Who's Who richest to drive a Lexus and buy a Puteri Harbour penthouse because it's cheaper than a Ferrari or a Sentosa Cove house. If you think that way, you just aren't rich enough! :smile:

Investor888

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are quite right on this. The feeling I had in PH slipping leisurely into my Starbucks is so different from my dinners at One 15 in Sentosa Cove. The latter is simply overpriced because poor chaps like me will never comprehend what makes Sentosa Cock houses so overly over-priced except that my learned Pastor Kong Hee and his beau the ever sexy and pretty and young Ho Yell Sun stay there. Anyway, I cant afford a S$5 million ( RM 15 million leasehold condo ) as my budget is low.

Things like prestige, safety and accessibility are built into the price. The two are totally different products.

xebay11

Alfrescian
Loyal

You forgot to factor in opportunity cost, you only counted actual losses but did not include the opportunity cost of making money with your initial costs if you had invested in Singapore. That is how I evaluate property investments and come to the conclusion that investing in Iskandar today is a very poor investment. You could have done so much more elsewhere.