• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Proof That Welfare For Poor Lazy People Breeds Crutch Mentality

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
What's wrong with being happy as a toilet cleaner, if the guy chooses to do so?

nothing wrong with wanting to be janitor, but can a 16 year make that kind of rational decision? then again, we've got millions of adults desperately wanting somebody to tell them what to do :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
The policy will only work when you design minimum wage policy that is aimed at putting the FT on an equal footing or even at a disadvantage versus the Singaporean worker while ensuring the maids and construction worker continues to be exploited by Singaporeans by suppressing their wages under the pretext of hours worked, full/part time or locals first foreigners be damned policy. This policy however will only work for a while until businesses (SME or MNCs) decide its no longer worthwhile operating in Singapore and shift their operations to Batam or elsewhere.

The goal here is to help Singaporeans become better by earning more to afford their education, job prospects. Only by earning more can they upgrade themselves by means of education, and job training. And also, if they have kids, if they have more money, they can afford to bring up their kids, educate them, and to feed them properly with healthy food.

Our goal here is not to see S'poreans, generation after generation, remain as toilet cleaners as such- but to make social mobility easier, so that even a son of a plumber and a clerk can become a doctor or a lawyer 20, 30 years after he's been born.

Whatever opposition party (WP?) you claim you are from you sound exactly like the PAP. Feedback for just its sake. You call for "an open discussion about whether to implement it" and in the next breath say "consider both sides before any comprehensive legislation is passed to make a minimum wage salary a legal requirement." :-)

I would like to clarify this and admit this was an error on my part. What I meant was that I want all participants on the table for an open discussion, and only after a consensus has been made or a majority vote has taken place, then would a legislative proposal be given to Parliament to read, discuss, taken apart and then pass with a majority of votes in Parliament.

I apologise sincerely if I did imply anything wrongly and misled anyone through my error.

You might want to check with the SMEs first. They are the ones that are mostly benefiting from exploiting cheap labor and FTs. The MNCs usually pay fairly decent wages from what I have seen.

McDs pay their older workers a mere $3 to $4 per hour. If we had more power to talk to them, I would talk to MNCs like McDonalds first. SMEs will also have a seat on the table, and the opposition will be partners in this well, ensuring that workers and employers will have a win-win agreement.

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is why a mimimum wage is fair to Singaporean, whose mimimum wage that should match the person's, skill & age, average benchmarked to the various discipline.

Without minimum wage, & the employ a Singaporean first, the locals will suffer most, for foreign workers are just migrants, they just move off, when the economy gets bad.

Ok. Now we are getting to the gist of it. So we enact a minimum wage policy that would have the intended effect of:

1. Raise the salary of the Singaporean worker so that they are not exploited by fellow Singaporean employers.

2. Turn the tables on the FTs, by making sure that they cannot be employed for anything less than the minimum Singaporeans specify, even if they are ready and willing to accept lower wages.

On a side note:

What do we do when the FT volunteers to be paid below the minimum level and signs a written undertaking to that effect with the employer? Do we penalize the FT or the employer? Or both?

Also what happens even after the policy is enacted and the employer choses the FT over the Singaporean as the FT more enterprising and is prepared to work longer hours and harder than the Singaporean?

What happens when businesses simply decide to pack up and relocate? Who's going to pay your minimum wages?

Are we then going to enact a minimum profit policy for employers to ensure they remain economically viable?

What you are facing in Singapore today is going to require a major economic overhaul. Minimum wage policy is not going to address this issue.

Last edited:

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
The goal here is to help Singaporeans become better by earning more to afford their education, job prospects. Only by earning more can they upgrade themselves by means of education, and job training. And also, if they have kids, if they have more money, they can afford to bring up their kids, educate them, and to feed them properly with healthy food.

Our goal here is not to see S'poreans, generation after generation, remain as toilet cleaners as such- but to make social mobility easier, so that even a son of a plumber and a clerk can become a doctor or a lawyer 20, 30 years after he's been born.

I would like to clarify this and admit this was an error on my part. What I meant was that I want all participants on the table for an open discussion, and only after a consensus has been made or a majority vote has taken place, then would a legislative proposal be given to Parliament to read, discuss, taken apart and then pass with a majority of votes in Parliament.

I apologise sincerely if I did imply anything wrongly and misled anyone through my error.

McDs pay their older workers a mere $3 to $4 per hour. If we had more power to talk to them, I would talk to MNCs like McDonalds first. SMEs will also have a seat on the table, and the opposition will be partners in this well, ensuring that workers and employers will have a win-win agreement.

You spastic maggot :oIo:

Are you willing to pay $10 for a Big Mac.

What the fuck, you are not even living in Singapore :oIo:

damnu88

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cotton666...

Told you not to always pick the bad to compare the average and the good.

You got to get this sick comparison out of your DXXK head. In this world there are always some rotten apples.

You are one of them that rots within the riches...Or maybe you are just a boostful dog spreading your masters' sins in a way or two to redeem......

People here be it lazy or hard working, the fact is the $$$$ still belong to them. What wrong is it to withdraw??

Now the only thing I can think of is you are the lazy FART that doesn't work and do no contributions in your lifetime. So nothing you can withdraw. Because you live in a KENNEL.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cotton666...
Now the only thing I can think of is you are the lazy FART that doesn't work and do no contributions in your lifetime. So nothing you can withdraw. Because you live in a KENNEL.

gahmen have set up a department specifically to deal with criticism on the Internet. These are full time govt paid employees who write this stuff. The plan of course is to discredit anyone who criticises them, giving the impression that they are ordinary citizens.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another point to note: Professionals earn here anywhere from A$40k to $85k depending on your profession. S'poreans back home, don't earn as much. Even if some earn $4000 on average, its not like its on the high end scale here. I have got a friend who works in a uni International student office, and she says she earns $40k+ per year.

Small business owners have never got such a deal in Singapore- even if they did, as long as Temasek, GIC and NTUC remains in the private sector, small businesses will continue to struggle with high costs, tough monopolistic competitors and bureaucracy. Not to mention copycats like URA.

H,

u couldn't put it any better. folks in SG have been brain-washed to think that minimum wage & welfare will kill the country's competitveness. But they are ample examples among 1st world country to suggest other wise.

ArtBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, i am very stupid.

If my sons could be paid well being toilet cleaners, and they are happy about it, why not?

If wiping FT's backside is part of the job description, then they better make sure the pay is high :smile:

You spastic maggot :oIo:

I hope your sons and daughters will aspire to be toilet cleaners. They will lead a very happy life. We will just have import more Foreign Talents so that your children will get to wipe their talented arses.

damnu88

Alfrescian
Loyal
ArtBoon,

Whether the pay high or low is OK. The most important things is the FTs are shitting in Cockadoo's mouth (Clinton666) like a toilet bowl. Cause his mouth is full of SHIT!!!!! :eek:

ArtBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I try to be courteous to people. I remember the good old lion's song
"courtesy is for free, courtesy is for u and me..." :smile:

ArtBoon,

Whether the pay high or low is OK. The most important things is the FTs are shitting in Cockadoo's mouth (Clinton666) like a toilet bowl. Cause his mouth is full of SHIT!!!!! :eek:

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello, you sure you in touch with the market? Or you sure you know what "profesionals" are? Polytechnic graduates claiming to be engineers are not professionals. Professional engineers have "Er" before their names.

Professionals earning $4,000 on the high scale? Entry level doctors and lawyers (even small one-man firms). No "Er" earns less than $4k.

Your friend is not a "professional"?

Another point to note: Professionals earn here anywhere from A$40k to $85k depending on your profession. S'poreans back home, don't earn as much. Even if some earn $4000 on average, its not like its on the high end scale here. I have got a friend who works in a uni International student office, and she says she earns $40k+ per year.

ArtBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
A garang guni man can make tons if he knows what/how to do it.
Education is very important, but is only one of the dimensions of life.
How a 16 year kid thinks depends also a lot on how his/her parent teach him from 0 - 15 years. This type of thing cannot be subcontracted to someone else (eg teacher, helper), I believe.

nothing wrong with wanting to be janitor, but can a 16 year make that kind of rational decision? then again, we've got millions of adults desperately wanting somebody to tell them what to do :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

clinton666

Alfrescian
Loyal
A garang guni man can make tons if he knows what/how to do it.
Education is very important, but is only one of the dimensions of life.
How a 16 year kid thinks depends also a lot on how his/her parent teach him from 0 - 15 years. This type of thing cannot be subcontracted to someone else (eg teacher, helper), I believe.

You retarded dog :oIo:

What do retarded SG peasants know about education and parenting.
Do you know what is a poverty trap?

Poverty Trap – poverty trap is a scenario where people experience poverty due to circumstances beyond their control. The trap becomes cyclical and begins to reinforce itself if steps are not taken to break the cycle. Depending upon a person’s origin of birth, they may find themselves financially stable their entire lives, or at the other extreme, they may find themselves born into severe poverty that seems utterly inescapable.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
content censored by MDA Singapore

581725shutup-3b5d7a77dd.gif

ArtBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are circumstances within my control and there are many circumstances not within my control.

I choose to take certain actions or not to take certain actions.

You retarded dog :oIo:

What do retarded SG peasants know about education and parenting.
Do you know what is a poverty trap?

Poverty Trap – poverty trap is a scenario where people experience poverty due to circumstances beyond their control. The trap becomes cyclical and begins to reinforce itself if steps are not taken to break the cycle. Depending upon a person’s origin of birth, they may find themselves financially stable their entire lives, or at the other extreme, they may find themselves born into severe poverty that seems utterly inescapable.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always get amused when you spew this left wing rubbish.

Pay a $500 worker $10,000 and of course he'll work. But that is besides the point, the idea is to ensure that the $500 worker works for $500 and lives within his means rather than try to force the employer to pay him $10,000.

Min wage is useful when applied to those that could be hired.
If the worker is a useless worker, then that person won't be hired in the first place, whether or not there is a min wage.

ArtBoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
I don't know what is left wing or right wing.
If company is willing to pay a $500 worker $10000 and still gets a profit, then it will continue.
Otherwise the company will not continue.

I always get amused when you spew this left wing rubbish.

Pay a $500 worker $10,000 and of course he'll work. But that is besides the point, the idea is to ensure that the $500 worker works for $500 and lives within his means rather than try to force the employer to pay him $10,000.