• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Problems that the million-dollar ministers are not solving

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

‘They fly in the minute I sit down’: Acres, residents want more policing against bird feeding​

YLX5197.jpg

NParks has received 7,016 cases of pigeon-related feedback in 2023 as at Nov 20. ST PHOTO: YONG LI XUAN
Carmen Sin and Yong Li Xuan

DEC 11, 2023

SINGAPORE – At a quiet housing estate in Jurong West, the floors beneath some blocks are splattered in white and green.
The perpetrators – a flock of more than 40 pigeons – crowd a nearby grass patch. They share the space with a large banner – streaked with droppings – warning against feeding the birds.
Reports of pigeons being a nuisance have peppered the news for months, with residents in places such as Jalan Kayu, Bukit Panjang and Sengkang complaining of “poop like rain”, soiled walls, and irksome chirping.
While data from the National Parks Board (NParks) suggests that the problem has improved in recent years, there have been calls from some quarters to increase enforcement against bird feeders.
This is especially since the availability of food is seen as the main cause of pigeons flourishing.
Rock pigeons, like Javan mynas and house crows, are an invasive species – not native to Singapore – and pose a threat to our native biodiversity, said NParks.
But serious diseases caused by pigeons are rare.

“Pigeons may cause some bacterial and fungal infections in humans, but these rarely result in serious disease. So far, avian influenza viruses have not been found in pigeons, so the risk of getting flu from them is minimal,” said Dr Yvonne Su of the Duke-NUS Medical School’s Emerging Infectious Diseases Programme.
NParks has received 7,016 cases of pigeon-related feedback in 2023 as at Nov 20. There were 7,039 such complaints in 2022, and 8,313 the year before. There were 7,601 complaints in 2020, when more people stayed home due to the Covid-19 pandemic, and 8,430 in 2019.
The board has recorded 170 cases of enforcement action against illegal bird feeding in 2023 as at Nov 20, compared with 233 in 2022, 185 in 2021, and 68 in 2020.

Under the Wildlife Act, offenders can be fined up to $5,000 for their first offence of feeding any wild animal and up to $10,000 for subsequent offences.
Mr Willie Tan, a resident of Kang Ching Road in Jurong West for 27 years, said he was fed up with recalcitrant feeders.
YLX5065.jpg

There have been news reports of pigeons being a nuisance, with their droppings dirtying the walls and floors. ST PHOTO: YONG LI XUAN
“There’s a guy who feeds the pigeons three times a day every day. My neighbours and I have filed many complaints, more than five, but it hasn’t stopped,” said the 58-year-old Grab driver.
Pointing out the bird feed that lined the corridor outside a childcare centre at the foot of one block, he added: “I’ve seen kids picking up the food out of curiosity. It’s bacterial.
“Now there’s a flock of 30 to 40 (birds) and they’re an eyesore. Where there are birds, there’s poop.”

In July, a 67-year-old Singaporean man was fined $4,800 for four charges of feeding pigeons, with another 12 taken into consideration. He was previously fined for a similar offence.
Aside from the problem of bird feeders, pigeons flock to hawker centres in search of food as well.
Madam Ong, who runs a food stall at the Old Airport Road hawker centre, said pigeons usually peck at leftovers on the tray return rack near her stall, and sometimes push cups and utensils off the rack, breaking things and making a mess.
Some even swoop in on food left unattended on the tables, the 60-year-old said.
Animal Concerns Research and Education Society (Acres) co-chief executive officer Anbarasi Boopal agreed that enforcement could be “more intensive for feeding of wildlife”.
Global and local studies have shown that reducing food sources is the best way to bring down the population, she said.
YLX5132.jpg

Leftover food in food centres are a source of food for pigeons, with the availability of food seen as the main cause for these birds flourishing. ST PHOTO: YONG LI XUAN
A study published by NParks in 2021 showed that an islandwide reduction in food provided by humans, due to social restrictions during the Covid-19 pandemic, resulted in a decline in the numbers of rock pigeons.
They devoted more time to foraging for food and spent less time resting, which would have repercussions on their reproductive capacity, according to the study.
“NParks monitors feedback on illegal bird feeding and undertakes active enforcement, which includes physical surveillance and the deployment of CCTV cameras at identified feeding hot spots,” said NParks director of wildlife management and outreach How Choon Beng.
When reporting such activity, detailed information – such as date, time, location and videos or photos – would be useful in helping NParks identify and engage the feeders, he added.
Enforcement action against feeders is one of several ways the board tackles this issue.
For example, NParks partners the Agency for Integrated Care, Municipal Services Office, People’s Association and town councils to understand the motivations of repeat offenders and discourage them from continuing to feed wildlife, according to the Ministry of National Development (MND) in a written reply to a parliamentary question in November.
“For example, some may feed wildlife due to loneliness, or because they are concerned that the animals are not getting enough food in the wild,” said MND.
YLX5260.jpg

Even a banner, asking the public not to feed the pigeons, is not spared from pigeon droppings ST PHOTO: YONG LI XUAN
NParks engages different groups within the community, such as the young through talks in school and the elderly through presentations and interactions with its staff, the board said.
These are part of the board’s science-based approach to mitigate issues concerning birds that are seen as pests, which also includes habitat modification, as well as culling. Since April 2019, the board has reduced culling operations in relation to such complaints, reported The Straits Times in 2020.
Culling had been the dominant means of pest bird control but proved ineffective, with complaints about the number of birds increasing by 140 per cent between 2014 and 2020.
Ms Boopal of Acres said these new, non-lethal measures may result in the reduction of the pigeon population in five years if carried out “intensively”, although the disruption caused by the Covid-19 pandemic may delay the effect.
A Nee Soon Town Council spokesman said: “The reality is, while these approaches have been partially effective, human behaviours such as continued errant feeding and food littering are difficult to eradicate.
“The problem will not go away by adopting a single approach but mitigated through collective effort with the community.”
To soften the impact of these birds on the cleanliness of public places, some town councils have stepped up their cleaning efforts, among other measures.
Mr Lim Biow Chuan, MP for Mountbatten, said the town council has installed bird spikes on beams and bird nettings around the Old Airport Road hawker centre, which is located in his constituency.

“These measures are implemented to discourage pigeons from perching in the area, thereby minimising the overall pigeon population,” he said.
“We have also taken steps to enhance cleanliness within the premises. The cleaners have been informed to intensify efforts in clearing and cleaning dishes on tray return racks, to prevent birds from feeding on leftover food.”
In the meantime, those in afflicted areas will have to contend with the problem in the best way they can.
Mr Vetharethinam Vairavanathan, who works at an Indian food stall in the Old Airport Road hawker centre, told ST he has resorted to using a laser pointer at the birds that gather on the rafters of his stall, on parts of the overhead piping at the food centre not lined with spikes.
“The minute I sit down for my break, they fly in,” the 52-year-old lamented. “It’s hard to rest.”

oliverlee

Alfrescian
Loyal
but the pigeons are an apt metaphor for the ministers - they remind us of how the fuckers shit on the people every min of the day

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Help retrenched young seniors get back into the workforce​

FEB 21, 2024

In the 2024 Budget, there seems to be a lack of emphasis on one group of vulnerable Singaporeans who have been retrenched.
The number of retrenched workers has increased recently and is expected to rise further due to companies looking at higher profitability and conducting right-sizing exercises.
The Budget is giving top-ups of $15,000 for Institute of Technical Education graduates aged 30 and below when they complete a diploma programme. Those aged 40 and above pursuing a second diploma will get a monthly training allowance of up to $3,000 for 24 months.
Will it make sense for those in their 60s to pursue a second diploma and get hired (hopefully) after graduation?
I am sure those in their 60s will not get a similar scheme to obtain a second diploma and get hired (hopefully) after graduation.
I was laid off last year when I was 59 years old. I have applied for numerous positions without success. Employers do not want to hire older people with a short “runway” as they say it is difficult to integrate them into their generally younger teams. This is also the case when I look for work at government agencies.
I attended a three-month full-time SkillsFuture Career Transition Programme in September 2023, hoping to get a job placement after the training. Unfortunately, the class was left on its own to look for jobs after we completed the programme, which was described as a “train-and-place programme”.

Most unemployed seniors face financial difficulties, especially if we have to support the family.
Most of us would prefer to get a job rather than get handouts from the Government. I hope the Government will look into helping young seniors get back into the workforce.

Eric Yip Kok Leong

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Retirees still need more help to be re-employed​

JAN 06, 2024

I refer to the reply by the Ministry of Manpower (Steps taken to support senior workers on re-employment, Jan 3).
Kudos to the Manpower Ministry for the schemes it has put in place to extend the employment of seniors, and its encouragement of employers to do so.
However, the ministry did not address the point made by Mr Tristan Gwee (Tap older workers’ wealth of experience, Dec 11) and Mr Ong Kim Bock (Do more to get retirees back in workforce, Dec 14), that is, to tap seniors who have left the workforce, and would like to, and can potentially, be re-employed.
In my interactions with other retired seniors, I have found that many of us would like to be re-employed.
I have applied to the ministry, other government bodies and tripartite organisations, but with no success.
Other seniors have had similar experiences, and we have come to the same conclusion that ageism played a role in why we were not employed.
The Government has called for employers to engage seniors as part of the workforce. But can we expect the private sector to overlook ageism and employ seniors, when government bodies do not seem to walk the talk?

There is a group of retired but capable seniors who have been sidelined. With their efforts to rejoin the workforce not bearing fruit, they are resigned to spending their time at coffee shops or binge-watching TV shows instead of contributing to the nation.

Lai Tuck Kee

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Change in funding models essential for Healthier SG’s success​

MAR 05, 2024

I found the recent Opinion piece on Healthier SG’s potential highly insightful (Art therapy and befriending services: Doctors should prescribe these in some cases, March 2).
Healthier SG represents a significant step towards improving public health, but its success hinges on addressing inconsistencies between the programme’s goals and existing healthcare funding models.
A crucial oversight lies in the programme’s apparent disregard for those who rely mainly on employer-provided insurance, which often restricts coverage to only specific networks of general practitioners (GPs). These GPs may not be enrolled in Healthier SG.
Some companies may subsidise non-panel clinics that are enrolled in Healthier SG, but employees may have to fork out more than at panel clinics.
This problem is particularly acute and disruptive when employees switch employers, or when employers change insurance providers. In both scenarios, individuals are forced to navigate a new network of enrolled GPs, hindering the crucial continuity of care essential for successful preventive healthcare.
Building trust and rapport with a familiar GP is vital for individuals to openly discuss health concerns, adhere to treatment plans, participate in preventive screenings and, as the Opinion piece mentioned, receive social prescription. Employer-provided insurance plans, with their limitations, directly contradict this fundamental requirement.
To ensure Healthier SG’s long-term success, a shift in funding models is essential. We need a system that prioritises continuity and incentivises all stakeholders, including patients, healthcare providers, employers and insurers, to engage in long-term relationships.

The Ministry of Manpower’s (MOM) existing efforts to promote portable medical benefits, while facing a low uptake, offer a valuable head start.
Collaborative efforts between MOM and the Ministry of Health may be crucial to ensure Healthier SG reaches its full potential.

Shawn Lee Chieh Loong (Dr)

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Strengthen employment laws to protect retrenched staff​

JAN 25, 2024

After nearly three years in a senior leadership role at a global company in the creative industry, I was recently retrenched. The reason was “financial challenges” and not “an indication of my contributions or performance”.
I was informed that I would not be getting any severance benefits because there are no labour laws in effect that protect employees. I was specifically told that the Ministry of Manpower gives only broad recommendations – with any severance done purely out of goodwill, not because of legislation. Sadly, my contract did not include any provision for retrenchment benefits either.
A friend urged me to speak with the Tripartite Alliance for Dispute Management, which referred me to the Tripartite Alliance for Fair and Progressive Employment Practices.
Both officers who spoke with me were sympathetic, but ultimately said they could only point my company to the best practice and could not enforce anything.
My story isn’t the only one.
The recent high-profile retrenchment exercise at Lazada has exposed a weakness in Singapore’s labour and workplace laws – these laws are geared towards supporting companies, not employees.
I have worked in Britain and Australia – both these countries have workplace laws that protect employees who are retrenched. These are common practices in many developed countries.

As a country that has ambition to be a hub for companies in the region, Singapore should update its Employment Act to give more legal protection to employees.
If we are unable to give adequate protection to employees and strike a fair balance in the employment relationship, I worry about how competitive we will be on the global stage.

Shawn Low

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Singapore’s total fertility rate hits record low in 2023, falls below 1 for first time​

aibaby280224.jpg

Preliminary estimates indicate a resident total fertility rate of 0.97 in 2023. PHOTO: ST FILE
theresa_tan.png

Theresa Tan
Senior Social Affairs Correspondent

MAR 11, 2024

SINGAPORE – The resident total fertility rate (TFR) in Singapore dropped below 1 for the first time in the Republic’s history.
Preliminary estimates indicate a resident TFR of 0.97 in 2023, Minister in the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO) Indranee Rajah said in Parliament on Feb 28.
The persistently low fertility rate comes alongside an ageing population, posing twin demographic challenges for Singapore, she said.
The TFR, which refers to the average number of babies each woman would have during her reproductive years, fell even further from 1.04 in 2022 and 1.12 in 2021.
Ms Indranee gave various reasons for this, including the Covid-19 pandemic disrupting some couples’ marriage and baby plans, and laid out the measures the Government has taken in recent years to support marriage and parenthood.

A TFR of 0.97 places Singapore among those countries with the lowest birth rates globally, with South Korea topping the list with a TFR of 0.72 in 2023.
Singapore’s fertility rate is well below the replacement rate of 2.1 – the level of fertility at which the population replaces itself from one generation to the next.

Like in many other developed countries, falling fertility rates reflect a generational change in priorities, and young people may not even see marriage or parenthood as important life goals, she said.
But it has serious implications for Singapore’s future, she said, adding that countries such as South Korea and Italy are grappling with economic slowdowns and falling wages that are compounded by their low birth rates and the resulting demographic changes.
She said: “With fewer births, we will face a shrinking workforce. It will be increasingly challenging to maintain our dynamism, attract global businesses and create opportunities for the next generation.”

However, she noted that young Singaporeans still aspire to settle down and have children.
In 2023, there were 26,500 resident marriages and 30,500 resident births, she said during the debate on population issues.

However, there were fewer resident marriages and births each year on average over the past five years, compared to the preceding five-year period.
A resident marriage is one involving at least one Singapore citizen or permanent resident (PR), while a resident birth refers to a baby who is born to at least one parent who is a Singaporean or PR.

Ms Indranee also gave an update on a new move to allow elective egg freezing to help women preserve their fertility.
About 200 women have gone for elective egg freezing, which is done for non-medical reasons, since it was allowed in June 2023, she said.
Before the landmark change, women could freeze their eggs only for medical reasons, such as when they had to undergo chemotherapy, which could adversely affect their fertility.

In response to Mr Louis Ng’s (Nee Soon GRC) question on when the additional paid paternity leave will be mandated, she said the Government will mandate this as soon as possible.
From Jan 1, fathers get four weeks of paid paternity leave – up from two weeks previously.
The extra two weeks of paid parental leave are on a voluntary basis for now, with employers who are ready to grant this additional leave to be reimbursed by the Government.
She added that the Government is also “actively exploring how to increase paid parental leave”, having studied the leave provisions of other developed countries such as France and Denmark.
It is also exploring other sustainable ways to help parents juggle between work and family commitments, she said.
For example, the Manpower Ministry (MOM) is working with its tripartite partners to develop new Tripartite Guidelines on Flexible Work Arrangement Requests. More details will be shared during the debate on MOM’s budget.

She also highlighted a local company, Hegen, which develops infant care products such as baby bottles, for its family-friendly practices.
Hegen has a raft of flexible working arrangements for its employees, such as working part-time, having staggered hours and working from home. The firm started offering its staff four weeks of Government-paid paternity leave since January 2024.
On top of that, it offers all staff two days of family care leave and two days of mental wellness leave, as well as leave on their birthday, on top of their annual leave entitlement.
Hegen’s founder Yvon Bock said its family-friendly policies have resulted in better retention, as well as increased satisfaction and productivity among its employees.
2024022249803326img2021.jpg

Hegen’s founder Yvon Bock said its family-friendly policies have resulted in better retention, as well as increased satisfaction and productivity among its staff. ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE
Ms Lock Hui Min, 37, senior marketing manager at Hegen, said the company’s family-friendly policies are a big pull factor for her to grow her career with the firm.
She worked part-time after her maternity leave ended in 2023. She is currently back to working full-time but with staggered hours, to have more time to bond with her two children, a two-year-old and a nine-month-old.
She said: “Having flexible working arrangements really helps to ease the mum guilt. Because when your baby is so young, it is really hard to be away from them.”
2024022233113953img2019.jpg

Ms Lock Hui Min, senior marketing manager at Hegen, 37, said the company’s family-friendly policies are a big pull factor for her to grow her career with the firm. ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE
Responding to MPs Patrick Tay’s (Pioneer SMC) and Yip Hon Weng’s (Yio Chu Kang SMC) questions about strategies to achieve Singapore’s desired population outcomes, Ms Indranee said Singapore needs more Singaporeans, and the Government will continue to support Singaporeans in starting and raising families.
She added that Singapore’s low birth rates and ageing population have resulted in slowing local workforce growth.
She added: “Even with immigrants, we do not have enough working locals to support continued good economic growth. We must therefore remain open to a diverse foreign workforce that complements the local workforce.”
In 2023, Singapore granted about 23,500 new citizenships, including about 1,300 to children born overseas to Singaporean parents. About 34,500 individuals also became permanent residents last year.

Ms Indranee said the average number of new citizenships and new PRs granted every year since 2019 is slightly higher than that over the preceding period.
She added that Singapore’s immigration policy is also geared towards the Republic’s future population needs.
For example, in recent years, Singapore granted a higher number of PRs to healthcare workers to support the nation’s growing healthcare needs.
She said: “We continue to maintain a measured and stable pace of immigration, which moderates the impact of demographic trends on the size and age profile of the citizen population.”

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Put more thought into job placement after training for mid-career workers​

FEB 29, 2024

It is heartening to observe the parliamentary debate on the SkillsFuture Level-Up Programme. Among the programme’s key objectives is supporting mid-career Singaporeans so as to boost their prospects in the current job or pivot into a new career.
My female colleagues and I faced career disruption during the pandemic. We then proactively enrolled and completed digital skills courses to reset our career path. But we were greeted with brutal ageism practices from various multinational corporations as well as small and medium-sized enterprises.
I believe the SkillsFuture Level-Up Programme announced in the latest Budget will be effective only if workers who have completed the training programmes can land themselves a suitable career for the next phase of their working life.
A basic short-term training programme may be insufficient for older mid-career individuals to secure a job as they are competing with a younger generation with better academic qualifications. Mid-career workers risk remaining unemployed despite using up the $4,000 in subsidies.
More thought needs to go into how the training can lead to good jobs for these mid-career workers as there are only a limited number of job offerings. We need to address the deficiencies of the career matching programme in its current form to improve outcomes for the individuals using it.
All stakeholders, including employers, must support the well-intended measures in the Budget to rehire mid-career workers and those who have gone the extra mile to elevate their skills to stay relevant and contribute to the country’s economy.

Ho See Ling

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Using immigration to boost population comes with own set of issues​

MAR 11, 2024

Aware executive director Corinna Lim made a case for bolstering immigration as a key step to tackling the dismal total fertility rate (TFR) here (Review immigration policy, Singapore’s Plan B for a plunging fertility rate, March 6).
Immigration is always a quick and convenient solution, but it comes with its own set of issues.
While it takes time for new arrivals to integrate and imbibe the ways of the local population, many, meanwhile, may bring social norms that rile the citizen population, creating social tensions and unhappiness.
While this can be resolved over time via gradual integration, a sizeable presence may simply embolden them to carry on their ways without seeing the need to change.
And outside of work requirements, modern-day immigrants may also see little need to integrate with the local population as they can easily link up with their countrymen via social media. This risks leading us to become a country made up of fragments.
We should also not forget that allegiance to a country takes a much longer time to take shape. A huge immigrant intake from any particular country may galvanise the group to advocate that country’s stance.
Being a small country and with today’s geopolitical assertiveness of much bigger and more powerful players, Singapore cannot afford to sleepwalk into a potential future problem.

A dismal TFR is an existential threat to us as a country. I see the root cause as people not having the confidence to have children under the constant cycle of pessimistic news.
A whole new relook at persuading people to have babies is required.

Peh Chwee Hoe

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Liability issues when drivers do not report non-injury traffic accidents​

APR 02, 2024

My car was hit from behind by a pick-up truck when it was stationary at a traffic junction, causing minor damage to the rear bumper.
I made an accident report with my workshop, with pictures of the accident scene and the particulars of the truck driver, a work permit holder who admitted liability verbally at the scene.
When a claim was made against the other party’s insurance company, the claim was repudiated because no accident report had been made by the other party despite repeated reminders.
The insurance company referred the case to the police and, with that, it discharged its duties and responsibilities fully, under guidelines from the General Insurance Association of Singapore.
Whether it will penalise the insured by terminating the policy or deducting the no-claim bonus is at its discretion.
I brought the case to the Financial Industry Disputes Resolution Centre (Fidrec). The mediating lawyer’s written judgment was that the insurance company was right in repudiating the claim.
My financial loss is not the major issue here.

More concerning is whether the way the case was handled by the insurance company and Fidrec could encourage financial institutions to avoid liability when there is no reporting of non-injury accidents, when their insured was obviously in the wrong.

Shuy Eng Ban

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Insurance company making it hard for policyholders to have continuity of care​

APR 07, 2024

I have been a loyal policyholder of Income Insurance for decades, with six policies with the company. However, Income Insurance has introduced new terms and conditions regarding panel and non-panel specialist doctors in its Integrated Shield Plans.
I had a long-established patient-doctor relationship with my specialist doctor A. When I needed an operation, I was informed that I would need to pay a $2,000 non-panel deductible if I continued treatment with doctor A, as she is not on Income Insurance’s panel. I was advised to see another specialist, doctor B, who was on Income Insurance’s panel, to avoid paying the deductible.
Now, I have learnt that doctor B has left Income Insurance’s panel, and I would have to find a new doctor to continue my care.
Some of my friends have faced similar issues, needing to change their specialist doctors due to Income Insurance’s mandate to use panel doctors, or pay the deductible, which is up to $2,000 in each policy year.
This policy may affect patient autonomy, and continuity of care. It also increases healthcare costs, as new doctors may need to repeat previous tests and procedures and re-evaluate the previous treatment plan.
Continuity of care is essential for managing chronic conditions, ensuring accurate diagnoses, and fostering trust between patients and their healthcare providers.
This policy does not seem to be in line with the Ministry of Health’s Healthier SG programme that encourages us to stay with one doctor to develop and enjoy a long-term trusted relationship.

I hope Income Insurance will reconsider this policy and uphold the principles of patient-centred care and fairness that prioritise the well-being of policyholders.

Ng Sout San

Forum: Insurance companies should be transparent about how they pay doctors​

APR 10, 2024

I refer to Ms Ng Sout San’s letter “Insurance company making it hard for policyholders to have continuity of care” (April 8).
As doctors and insurers continue to debate over remuneration amounts and the role of panels, we sometimes forget the people we are serving –our patients. As a breast surgeon myself, whenever I speak up on such matters, I might be perceived by some as self-serving. Therefore, I am glad members of the public are speaking up about what they need.
All of us need access to healthcare at some point in our lives. We must take an active interest in open discussion to better shape policy.
Patients should have access to any doctor of their choice. I have heard ad nauseum the same old arguments of how panels help to reduce costs, and accusations of overcharging by doctors and hospitals. The Ministry of Health has stepped up efforts to rein in these costs. I call for transparency in how insurance companies remunerate doctors. Currently, contracts with non-disclosure clauses are signed between doctor and insurer when they enter a panel, with all the caveats and limitations to adhere to.
Just as common procedure and hospital fee benchmarks are listed in public domains, I propose that insurers should also let their policyholders (or even the public) know about their fee schedules for common procedures.
In addition, I propose that a modified reimbursement be considered–where a company offers a certain fee, but patients can choose to top up the difference for a highly skilled and experienced doctor that they choose. This has multiple benefits where doctors will be mindful of fees and charge appropriately, and patients will be truly empowered to decide where they go for treatment.
Every month, new doctors join the private sector. Are insurers keeping up with reviewing and expanding their panels to include these doctors who can bring new skill sets and knowledge to help patients?

I fully respect the work and necessity of insurers in paying for healthcare bills. I am committed to creating a fair ecosystem, and for always putting patients first. Let all the stakeholders collaborate in educating patients, so that they can make an informed choice in which insurer they use, which doctor they choose and which hospital they go to.

Tan Yia Swam (Dr)

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

LTA investigating after e-bikes and e-scooters seen racing; will step up enforcement​

hzbike190424.jpg

In a video on Facebook page SG Road Vigilante, several PABs and e-scooters can be seen racing at high speeds. PHOTOS: SCREENGRABS FROM SG ROAD VIGILANTE - SGRV/FACEBOOK
wallacewoon.png

Wallace Woon

APR 19, 2024, 07:06 PM

SINGAPORE - The Land Transport Authority (LTA) is investigating several incidents involving several power-assisted bicycles (PABs) and e-scooters.
In a video shared on Facebook page SG Road Vigilante, several PABs and e-scooters can be seen racing at high speeds in several locations, including Tanah Merah Coast Road and a park connector running alongside the Bay East Garden next to Marina Bay.
One clip shows a rider appearing to adopt a Superman position – lying face down on the device with his legs straightened and pointed backwards.
The video’s caption claims that the e-bikes – which PABs are commonly known as – and e-scooters have been illegally modified and are travelling at speeds in excess of 140kmh.
Responding to queries from The Straits Times, LTA said it has also stepped up enforcement efforts in these locations and will take individuals to task if they are found to be violating regulations.
While e-bikes are allowed to travel on cycling paths and on the road, e-scooters can be used only on the former. Neither of these devices can be used on a footpath.
A speed limit of 25kmh is also imposed on cycling paths.

Both e-bikes and e-scooters have to be registered with LTA and be operated by a person at least 16 years of age, if unsupervised.
E-scooters are designated as personal mobility devices, which also include skateboards, kick scooters, motorised skateboards and hoverboards.
Riders must also pass online theory tests before being allowed to use e-bikes or e-scooters.

E-bikes are also required to meet technical specifications such as a weight limit of 20kg, a maximum continuous power output of 250 watts, a maximum assisted speed of 25kmh and certification to the EN15194 standard.
E-scooters have to be certified to the UL2272 fire safety standard.
A check by ST on second-hand sales platform Carousell and messaging app Telegram showed multiple listings of e-bikes being advertised for sale with features such as throttles and motors rated at 1,000 watts. Similar motors – ranging in power from 1,500 watts to 3,000 watts – were advertised separately on the platforms.
Sellers of e-bikes whom ST spoke to said these features are in clear violation of LTA’s regulations.
An employee of e-bike vendor Warehouse SG, who identified himself only as Mr Chia, told ST that the motors used to propel e-bikes should be activated only when the rider starts pedalling, and should cut off when the e-bike reaches 25kmh.
He said: “The motors on the e-bikes that we sell have a maximum power of 250 watts. While it is possible for someone riding an e-bike to travel faster than 25kmh (on these bikes), they should not be doing so with the help of the motor.
“Throttles mounted on the handlebar similar to those on motorbikes are also not permitted to be installed on e-bikes as such.”

Mr Chia said that while Warehouse SG does provide repair and upgrading services for e-bikes, it would do so only if the modifications fall within LTA’s guidelines.
He said: “Sometimes a rider wants to install a bigger battery so that they can keep riding longer distances, as is the case for food delivery riders, but these batteries also need to be approved by LTA.
“The customers who ask for motors exceeding LTA’s regulations might want to travel faster so they can complete more deliveries or because they feel that it is easier to manoeuvre through traffic on the road.”
Identifying herself only as Ms Lee, a sales representative from e-bike brand Jimove said she would often advise customers against purchasing illegally modified e-bikes, or modifying e-bikes purchased from her company.
“The riders who modify their e-bikes to go faster tend to be the ones who work at night, when the roads or paths are not as busy. Their vehicles can travel at 40kmh to 50kmh, which can be very dangerous for the riders and pedestrians,” she said.
Under the Active Mobility Act, a person found guilty of illegally modifying an e-bike such that it does not comply with LTA’s regulations can be jailed up to two years, fined up to $20,000 or both for the first offence. Subsequent offences may be punishable by a jail term of up to four years, a fine of up to $40,000 or both.
Riding a non-compliant e-bike on public paths may land a person in jail for up to six months, a fine of up to $10,000, or both for the first offence, with subsequent offences punishable with up to 12 months’ imprisonment, a fine of up to $20,000 or both.
A person found guilty of dangerous or reckless riding on public paths may be jailed for up to 12 months, fined up to $10,000 or both.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Authorities investigating illegal sale of diesel at heavy vehicle carpark near Choa Chu Kang​

hzdiesel190424.jpg

A Malaysian truck can be seen in a video transferring diesel to two containers housed in a lorry. PHOTO: SCREENGRAB FROM SG ROAD VIGILANTE - SGRV
aqil-hamzah-230217.png

Aqil Hamzah

APR 19, 2024

SINGAPORE – The authorities are investigating an alleged illegal sale of diesel at a heavy vehicle carpark near Choa Chu Kang.
The alleged transaction was caught on video, which was shared on the SG Road Vigilante Facebook page on April 15 and subsequently circulated on social media.
In the video, a Malaysian truck can be seen transferring diesel to two containers housed in a lorry. The incident allegedly took place at Gali Batu heavy vehicle carpark, near Choa Chu Kang.
It is unclear if the incident took place on the same day that the video was shared, with the time stamp on the dashcam footage showing Nov 1, 2023, as the date of the recording.
When contacted by The Straits Times, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said it is aware of the video clip and is investigating the incident as a fire safety violation.
Citing the Fire Safety Act, an SCDF spokesperson said it is an offence to dispense petroleum and flammable materials at unlicensed premises. Those convicted can be fined up to $10,000, jailed for up to six months, or both.
Meanwhile, a Singapore Customs spokesperson told ST that it “closely monitors and enforces against any illegal diversion of duty-exempted diesel”.

Although diesel in the fuel tank of a vehicle entering Singapore is exempted from excise duty and goods and services tax (GST), this is under the condition that the diesel is used only for the vehicle’s movement.
The diesel should not be removed from the fuel tank for other purposes.
The spokesperson stressed that the transfer, purchase, sale, storage, possession or any dealings with duty-exempted diesel from the fuel tanks of vehicles are offences under both the Customs Act and GST Act.
Those found to have flouted the rules can be fined up to 20 times the amount of duty and GST evaded, jailed up to two years, or both.
In March 2023, ST reported that the illegal sale of diesel at heavy vehicle parking spaces was taking place in areas such as Tampines and Pioneer.
The fuel sold through such operators can be as much as 40 per cent cheaper than what major fuel suppliers charge, with the current price for diesel at about $2.59 per litre, according to pump price tracker Fuel Kaki.
Although cheaper, the source of the fuel is unknown. While some may come from major suppliers like Caltex and ExxonMobil, they may also come from other unknown sources and be of unknown quality.

LITTLEREDDOT

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Forum: Address power imbalance between IP insurers and policyholders​

APR 27, 2024

Numerous letters to the Forum have highlighted the issues of Integrated Shield Plan (IP) panels, from the perspective of policyholders and doctors. This was followed by an Opinion piece “How to fix S’pore’s healthcare insurance and preserve care continuity for patients” (April 25).
Policyholders with private IPs are steered towards panel specialists to get benefits, or to avoid incurring extra out-of-pocket costs.
The enrolment and removal of panel specialists are entirely at the discretion of the insurers. Many specialists, especially those new to private practice, continue to have difficulty getting onto panels.
Long-term policyholders have been adversely affected by panel restrictions, but are unable to change insurers (Insurer making it hard for policyholders to have continuity of care, April 7).
Doctors have pointed out that steering patients to panel doctors may affect the timeliness of urgent care, and disrupt existing patient-doctor relationships. (Abolish medical panels – they negatively impact patient care, stifle competition, April 12; and Should patient-doctor relationship be cornerstone of healthcare system? April 17).
There has also been increased scrutiny of claims, which may delay claims settlement.
There is a power imbalance between IP insurers and their policyholders. Insurers are free to vary the terms and conditions of the policy by serving notice to policyholders.

Even if policyholders disagree with changes in terms and conditions, they may feel compelled to accept them, as any medical condition they have developed over the years would be considered as pre-existing conditions by other insurers.
Other insurers may impose premium loading, exclude coverage of pre-existing conditions, or reject coverage altogether.
Panels were implemented by IP insurers to mitigate healthcare inflation.
The Singapore Medical Association feels that doctor fee inflation has been adequately addressed through the Ministry of Health (MOH) fee benchmarks, as well as efforts by the MOH claims management office to reduce inappropriate claims.
We continue to recommend that IP panels be open to all specialists who undertake to charge reasonably, or alternatively to have panels abolished.
To address the issue of power imbalance, stakeholders and regulators could look into whether changes in insurance design, such as the portability of IPs, would be beneficial. If policyholders can change their IPs without losing coverage for pre-existing conditions, it could promote healthy competition among insurers and ensure that policyholders get a fair deal.

Ng Chee Kwan (Dr)
President
Singapore Medical Association

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal
Low-birth rate

Forum: Even more needs to be done to encourage having babies
The writer fears Singapore faces an existential threat from a low fertility rate. Last year, the total fertility rate was 1.14.

The writer fears Singapore faces an existential threat from a low fertility rate. Last year, the total fertility rate was 1.14.ST PHOTO: GAVIN FOO
PUBLISHED NOV 11, 2020, 5:00 AM SGT

Low birth rates and even lower birth rates during the Covid-19 pandemic are not happening only in Japan (Pandemic set to worsen Japan's dismal birth rates, Nov 8).

It is a phenomenon that is unfolding elsewhere, and Singapore, whose total fertility rate (TFR) dipped to an abysmal low of 1.14 last year, may be more adversely affected than most.

It is estimated globally that in 183 out of 195 countries, fertility rates are below the replacement rate of 2.1 and catastrophically, by 2100, many nations, including even China, will have their populations halved.

In other words, there won't be population reinforcement coming from anywhere any more.

While Singapore's total live births ticked up marginally from 2014 to 2018, to 39,279 last year, this number still reflects a TFR of 1.14, a statistic which, even if maintained, will put Singapore at risk of under-population.

I pessimistically predict TFR will drop lower still this year.

The fertility problem here lies in the young not marrying or procreating.

While the Government has rolled out package after package of baby incentives, perhaps even more maternity and paternity leave should be granted, childcare subsidies comprehensively enhanced, tax incentives intensified and extra employment rights magnified.

Singapore will spend $100 billion to combat the Covid-19 scourge. We also need to spend more on the existential threat of a low fertility rate.

Otherwise, we may end up with a scenario where Singapore's population will mainly be made up of the elderly infirm, with no youthful vim and vitality in the workforce, septuagenarians or octogenarians cannot retire, and there won't even be enough firm hands on deck to care for them.

Yik Keng Yeong (Dr)
One of the problem....blue color is still around after so many years, why hah?