• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Problems in self-service immigration lines at airport

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
This also happened to me when I recently returned from Japan. This machine just cannot read dry thumb prints, a bloody waste of public funds:mad:

WHILE the introduction of unmanned self-service immigration lanes in all terminals at Changi Airport is commendable, the same cannot be said of their efficacy.
On Dec 23 at about 4.30pm, when my family and I returned from a two-week trip to Istanbul and Israel, we decided to use the self-service immigration lanes in Terminal 1. I had no problem getting past the first set of automatic gates after inserting my passport in the scanner. Unfortunately, my repeated attempts to scan my right thumbprint at the next station were unsuccessful.

Just then, an immigration officer in dark blue uniform behind me boomed across half the immigration arrival hall: 'Press harder.' Mind you, I was pressing as hard as I could. I could clearly see my thumbprint darkening the monitor screen, although the image was rather jagged. But, try as I might in three attempts, the second set of gates refused to budge.

The immigration officer continued to urge me loudly several times: 'Press harder.' Finally and insensitively, he said: 'You failed. Come out and go to the counter over there to have your passport checked.' He did not explain how I could backtrack, with the first set of gates still closed. Eventually, the gates opened and I managed to get my passport stamped and was allowed to leave via a side door.

May I offer the following suggestions?

Obviously, the thumbprint detection system for self-service immigration clearance is not without technical limitations. I suspect that, returning from a cold and dry climate, the skin on my fingers was extremely dry. Therefore, the system could not 'read' my thumbprint effectively. I noticed the same thing happened to no fewer than three other people in my tour group. Perhaps the airport authorities could have a sign advising passengers not to use the automated lanes if they suspect their fingers are too dry. Instead, direct them to a manned immigration clearance lane.

If possible, lower the height of the fingerprint detection glass window to make it easier for passengers to press hard. Even though I am of average height, I had difficulty pressing my thumb down with sufficient force because of the awkward angle. This will be a greater problem to those of shorter stature.

Counsel immigration officers to be more courteous when helping passengers. Be more sensitive to their feelings and avoid raising your voice in any circumstances.

Victor Yeo

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Obviously, the thumbprint detection system for self-service immigration clearance is not without technical limitations. I suspect that, returning from a cold and dry climate, the skin on my fingers was extremely dry.

Boh Yah Lah..methink it's system bug, maybe someone screws up the system by putting an alien thumb or someone without thumbprint?

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I've never had a problem with the machine, the closes I've been to a cold place recently was way back in July when I was in Australia. No problems clearing that machine once I got back. However I do agree on one thing, the officer there could have been nicer. Monday blues or whatever is one thing, but those guys are in the service industry. The least they could do is try to be nice and have some basic manners.

maimeechai

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've never had a problem with the machine, the closes I've been to a cold place recently was way back in July when I was in Australia. No problems clearing that machine once I got back. However I do agree on one thing, the officer there could have been nicer. Monday blues or whatever is one thing, but those guys are in the service industry. The least they could do is try to be nice and have some basic manners.

Aiyoyo...why do you crave so much for people to be nice to you? Lack of love or were you abused when you were young?

KKC007

Alfrescian
Loyal
Service industry? They are in the security industry! Try the US immigration officers and you know what I mean.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have encountered that myself.

People were helplessly stabbing their thumbs on the machine for a good 5 minutes without anyone coming forward to assist.

In the end, it takes longer to queue in the automated lines than the manual ones.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, "press harder, press harder" I mean wtf, press down so many times and still nothing.:mad:

Like what another forumer said above, "lubricant" is probably required for dry thumbprints, but not the one he had in mind hor, plain alcohol should do:biggrin::smile:

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
i seldom have problem at changi airport finger printing scanner... but i do wonder how frequent the print scanner are cleaned...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i seldom have problem at changi airport finger printing scanner... .

I have given up on using those machines.

Other than sensitivity to the placement of the passport, its also sensitive to too much thumb pressure, dry thumb etc.

Must be another "made in Spore" product :rolleyes:

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
However I do agree on one thing, the officer there could have been nicer. Monday blues or whatever is one thing, but those guys are in the service industry. The least they could do is try to be nice and have some basic manners.

yeah lor especially when your taxes pay their salaries..

they should be thankful for their iron rice bowls...:biggrin:

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Service industry? They are in the security industry! Try the US immigration officers and you know what I mean.

Yeah, they can give you a full body cavity checks by inserting an anal probe into your ASSHOLE!!

if you are positive you may enjoy it!! :biggrin:

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Aiyoyo...why do you crave so much for people to be nice to you? Lack of love or were you abused when you were young?

Probably the ICA officer was a old guard with the farked up attitude of the old guards. You do encounter these types once in a while. Typically unprofessional , compare to laid back countries like China, the professionalism they display you can really tell.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Probably the ICA officer was a old guard with the farked up attitude of the old guards. You do encounter these types once in a while. Typically unprofessional , compare to laid back countries like China, the professionalism they display you can really tell.

China laid back? Man you better wear pink shirt when you enter Chinese immigration, see if the senior officer watches you!

I donno, maybe they are waiting for you to scream ALLAH AKBA!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
This also happened to me when I recently returned from Japan. This machine just cannot read dry thumb prints, a bloody waste of public funds:mad:

WHILE the introduction of unmanned self-service immigration lanes in all terminals at Changi Airport is commendable, the same cannot be said of their efficacy.

I have watched the system since it was installed during my trips in and out. On every occasion, there will be one person that gets stuck. It has not improved one bit. The queue is always slower than the "residents" queue.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
. On every occasion, there will be one person that gets stuck. It has not improved one bit. The queue is always slower than the "residents" queue.

Yes, If you watch the system in operation in Woodlands you can see that the system is quite unreliable. They have an ICA officer stationed to direct people to the desk for manual processing.

Whats dumb is that when the system fails, the person is stuck between those 2 doors requiring security personnel to do a 'release'. They probably know the system has problems but its probably manufactured by some GLC without any Service Level Agreement covering these foul ups.