• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

probability of s'pore declining

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have been thinking about how s'pore got lucky under LKY and the odds of s'pore getting lucky again is very small. mainly, sinkies are getting lazier and surrounded by temperamental muslim countries. even the angmos i met in OZ commented that s'pore is very expensive, they told me it's not new york or milan but the prices are obscenely high.:o

to all sinkies, please dun come to OZ, it's not a nice place!:biggrin::p

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
you have been thinking alot of sweet thoughts and dreaming alot of sweet dreams about LKY when u are in australia.

frenchbriefs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes yes we have to thank LKY for bringing us from a fishing village to a first world country,then bending us over and letting us get fucked by Peenois,shitskin and PRCs and every tom dick and harry.

JHolmesJr

Alfrescian
Loyal
New York, Milan, Tokyo etc all offer history and character …. who wants to pay sky high prices for engineered experiences?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i have been thinking about how s'pore got lucky under LKY and the odds of s'pore getting lucky again is very small. mainly, sinkies are getting lazier and surrounded by temperamental muslim countries. even the angmos i met in OZ commented that s'pore is very expensive, they told me it's not new york or milan but the prices are obscenely high.:o

to all sinkies, please dun come to OZ, it's not a nice place!:biggrin::p

15+ years ago when I was in Bangkok I met 2 american oil riggers at Nana & they told me that Spore was an expensive place. Of course back then Spore was not the most expensive place, yet.

So the current situation is not a surprise. What is surprising is that Sporeans allowed the PAP to turn Spore into what it is today.

Fortunately for me I'm looking to relocate to somewhere else. Don't worry it won't be to Ozzie land:wink:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys are over rating Old Harry and giving him credit for developments that was a consequence of modern regional events/history. Singapore already possessed the momentum of growth from earlier British trade, and also happened to be the centre of regional prosperity, peace, and industrial growth. Being on the side of the Western democracies further helped boost Singapore;s advantage. Now, with the passing years, and the other gobal events catching up, Singapore has lost a lot of ground from its early headstart, and without a large population, natural resources, and land, Singapore is slowly losing out in terms of future prospects. No point looking for another LKY, because it wasn't because of him that Singapore got where it is, he just took credit for it, it could have been anyone else savvy enough to stay at the top of the political circle here. As for the Pinoys, and Kelings giving shit to Singapore, it is just a return of the treatment given to some of them who were here earlier and were treated as low-lives. Not everybody loves Singapore and her people.

Cheers!

yes yes we have to thank LKY for bringing us from a fishing village to a first world country,then bending us over and letting us get fucked by Peenois,shitskin and PRCs and every tom dick and harry.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You guys are over rating Old Harry and giving him credit for developments that was a consequence of modern regional events/history. Singapore already possessed the momentum of growth from earlier British trade, and also happened to be the centre of regional prosperity, peace, and industrial growth. Being on the side of the Western democracies further helped boost Singapore;s advantage. Now, with the passing years, and the other gobal events catching up, Singapore has lost a lot of ground from its early headstart, and without a large population, natural resources, and land, Singapore is slowly losing out in terms of future prospects. No point looking for another LKY, because it wasn't because of him that Singapore got where it is, he just took credit for it, it could have been anyone else savvy enough to stay at the top of the political circle here. As for the Pinoys, and Kelings giving shit to Singapore, it is just a return of the treatment given to some of them who were here earlier and were treated as low-lives. Not everybody loves Singapore and her people.

Cheers!

We are simply giving credit where credit is due. Ah Gong was a hero. Period.

Back in the 1960s, when many countries gained independence from their colonial masters, they also had the momentum of growth and lots of exciting chance for economic progress. Just think of Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Sri Lanka, and many other African countries. Instead, they got themselves into civil war after civil war, corruption and all sorts of ethnic strife.

Ah Gong did what he did to ensure that Singapore stayed on the course to prosperity, instead of getting mired into deep levels of corruption or civil war that plagued most African and other third world asiatic countries.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
.... As for the Pinoys, and Kelings giving shit to Singapore, it is just a return of the treatment given to some of them who were here earlier and were treated as low-lives. Not everybody loves Singapore and her people.

Cheers!

For many of these guest workers, this is probably their first time they have ever worked outside of their countries.
They are just behaving as they would back home.

It doesn't help that the PAP has encouraged many of these types of behaviour.

If they weren't causing problems in Spore, they would probably be doing it at home. Except back in their home country it would be considered normal behaviour. It's a case of culture shock. Just because we are all asians, it does not mean that we have identical norms of behaviour.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
For many of these guest workers, this is probably their first time they have ever worked outside of their countries.
They are just behaving as they would back home.

It doesn't help that the PAP has encouraged many of these types of behaviour.

If they weren't causing problems in Spore, they would probably be doing it at home. Except back in their home country it would be considered normal behaviour. It's a case of culture shock. Just because we are all asians, it does not mean that we have identical norms of behaviour.

My pinoy and ah neh serfs don't dare to misbehave. They will be whacked and made to kneel on peanut shells.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That time (60s) was when most post-colonised countries were in the midst of their civil wars when a power vacuum was left after the colonial rulers returned home to fix their own homes after WW2. Many of these countries had a longer history of self-rule and some tried to re-establish the old governments while newer factions were formed when nationalistic sentiment swept these countries during ww2. Singapore didn't have such a history of fragmentised and fighting factions. Most were united in their stance in wanting the Brits out, but the administrative offices were already established and running in Singapore in the fifties and sixties. Compared to other countries, running Singapore was a piece of cake.

Cheers!

Back in the 1960s, when many countries gained independence from their colonial masters, they also had the momentum of growth and lots of exciting chance for economic progress. Just think of Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Sri Lanka, and many other African countries. Instead, they got themselves into civil war after civil war, corruption and all sorts of ethnic strife.

Ah Gong did what he did to ensure that Singapore stayed on the course to prosperity, instead of getting mired into deep levels of corruption or civil war that plagued most African and other third world asiatic countries.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
They are just here to work, and hopefully send monies back home to help out their families. They are not here to create trouble, they are away from home, without family and friends, some don't even speak English. In this light, they are mostly scared and frightened. Some might get frustrated and vent their anger (on their superiors?), but mostly they are docile and avoid getting into trouble. Many of them have little education and are not familiar with legal issues and personal "rights."The last thing they want is to get into trouble.

Cheers!

For many of these guest workers, this is probably their first time they have ever worked outside of their countries................................

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They are just here to work, and hopefully send monies back home to help out their families. They are not here to create trouble, they are away from home, without family and friends, some don't even speak English. In this light, they are mostly scared and frightened. Some might get frustrated and vent their anger (on their superiors?), but mostly they are docile and avoid getting into trouble. Many of them have little education and are not familiar with legal issues and personal "rights."The last thing they want is to get into trouble.

Cheers!

In the past when most foreign workers were Malaysian & Indonesian worker. I don't recall there being so much trouble back then. Malaysians are very similar to Sporeans so they can integrate very well. While the indonesian maids were only interested in working for the short term.

Trouble seem to have started with the influx of the filipinos, PRC chinese, Indians,... While many of them have taken up Spore citizenships, they have not integrated into Spore society. Indians from india cannot even get along with the local indians.

The PAP are simply using these foreigners to retain control of Spore. When you apply for a Canadaian PR, they try to screen out criminals & only choose people they think who can integrate into Canadian society e.g. have english or french skills, work skills. ..etc. So what has the PAP done other that opening the door & collecting the worker levy?

These foreigners are not timid. Just look at their actions e.g. mistreating the elderly at hospitals & retirement homes, threatening to take over Spore, behaving like they own the place, picking fights, treating MRT stations as public toilets, ...

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry, I am unable to provide answers to your questions on the foreigner's behaviour. In my experience, I have not come across any violent or criminal types. Maybe their numbers are much higher now, and with that comes a greater myriad of personalities, types, and behaviours. It is up to the police/law to deal with those who act outside the borders of what is permissible. Have to add that Singapore has become very crowded and congested, and with this comes more agitation, not just the foreigners but locals as well! Blokes living in such close-tightly packed places have to tolerate more. Some can, some can't. That's people!

Cheers!

In the past when most foreign workers were Malaysian & Indonesian worker. I don't recall there being so much trouble back then. Malaysians are very similar to Sporeans so they can integrate very well. While the indonesian maids were only interested in working for the short term.

Trouble seem to have started with the influx of the filipinos, PRC chinese, Indians,... While many of them have taken up Spore citizenships, they have not integrated into Spore society. Indians from india cannot even get along with the local indians.

The PAP are simply using these foreigners to retain control of Spore. When you apply for a Canadaian PR, they try to screen out criminals & only choose people they think who can integrate into Canadian society e.g. have english or french skills, work skills. ..etc. So what has the PAP done other that opening the door & collecting the worker levy?

These foreigners are not timid. Just look at their actions e.g. mistreating the elderly at hospitals & retirement homes, threatening to take over Spore, behaving like they own the place, picking fights, treating MRT stations as public toilets, ...

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
It's already declining what probability? Economy, social, morals etc all going down the bloody longkang.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
many sinkies still living in denial after many years of brain washing by the mainstream media.

My thats why I stay away from sinkies like you now. Tony is the smartest. We need to be unsinkified.