• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Price of warranty for Samsung 500GB SSD?

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
According to a little bird from the West, the performance of PCIe-based SSDs has been much overhyped. If you aren't in a hurry, you can wait for SATA-Express-based SSDs. The SATA-Express specification has already been approved.

In my opinion, anyone that is currently using HDD will be amazed at how much faster SSDs are once they make the switch. At current prices it's well worth it go with SSDs. If you run the OS and applications like photoshop on an SSD, the jump in speed will blow you away.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've got no idea what my Apple Air uses probably a Sumsung,
Are you kidding? You're using Apple products?

Did you know that two men are now sitting in jail in the United Stasi of A. because they were using Apple computers? They each received National Security Letters and thrown into jail without any formal charges being brought against them before a secret court?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
If you need anything for macs, order from https://www.macsales.com/

Thank you

In my opinion, anyone that is currently using HDD will be amazed at how much faster SSDs are once they make the switch. At current prices it's well worth it go with SSDs. If you run the OS and applications like photoshop on an SSD, the jump in speed will blow you away.

Switching from ThinkPad (Windows) to MacBook Pro (OS) 4 years ago was like taking a big leap into another dimension, a much faster world. When I switched from Pro (HDD) to the Air (SDD) after using the Pro for only a few months it's another "no turning back" leap. Now waiting for the 12" Air to appear soon.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
When I get my MBs I prefer to order online than get from shop as I could select and customize.
Based on your posts on this forum, I'd say that you're a target for surveillance by Leegime. During delivery of your purchase to your destination, Leegime will intercept your items, install surveillance software, re-package them and send them to you.

So you think you saved money and time?

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Based on your posts on this forum, I'd say that you're a target for surveillance by Leegime. During delivery of your purchase to your destination, Leegime will intercept your items, install surveillance software, re-package them and send them to you.

So you think you saved money and time?

Appreciate your concern. I doubt Oldfart's poodles could intercept my order in Thailand

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I get my MBs I prefer to order online than get from shop as I could select and customize. Shops carry only 256GB units for the Air.

I didn't get a Macbook Air because once you get one the upgrade potential is low. The RAM is soldered on. The only thing you can upgrade is the SSD e.g. OWC's Aura line of SSDs.

That is why I went with the MacBook Pro. The 1st thing I did was to install a 3rd party RAM upgrade. An SSD upgrade was something that I was planning to do once the technology improved. The SSD I'm looking at might end up inside the Macbook. However since I got an iPad Air, I have found that it is a very convenient travelling computer.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If security and integrity of your data is critical to you, do NOT have the SSD shipped to you from abroad as LEEgime is known to intercept HDDs and SSDs to insert surveillance software into the disk controllers. Leegime is working closely with the NSA and GCHQ.

That's what a little bird from the West told me.

For those who don't have a "little bird" you read about it here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/16/nsa-computer-spying_n_6694736.html?ir=Technology

NSA Has Ability To Hide Spying Software Deep Within Hard Drives: Cyber Researchers

SAN FRANCISCO, Feb 16 (Reuters) - The U.S. National Security Agency has figured out how to hide spying software deep within hard drives made by Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and other top manufacturers, giving the agency the means to eavesdrop on the majority of the world's computers, according to cyber researchers and former operatives.

That long-sought and closely guarded ability was part of a cluster of spying programs discovered by Kaspersky Lab, the Moscow-based security software maker that has exposed a series of Western cyberespionage operations.

Kaspersky said it found personal computers in 30 countries infected with one or more of the spying programs, with the most infections seen in Iran, followed by Russia, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, Mali, Syria, Yemen and Algeria. The targets included government and military institutions, telecommunication companies, banks, energy companies, nuclear researchers, media, and Islamic activists, Kaspersky said.

The firm declined to publicly name the country behind the spying campaign, but said it was closely linked to Stuxnet, the NSA-led cyberweapon that was used to attack Iran's uranium enrichment facility. The NSA is the U.S. agency responsible for gathering electronic intelligence.

A former NSA employee told Reuters that Kaspersky's analysis was correct, and that people still in the spy agency valued these espionage programs as highly as Stuxnet. Another former intelligence operative confirmed that the NSA had developed the prized technique of concealing spyware in hard drives, but said he did not know which spy efforts relied on it.

NSA spokeswoman Vanee Vines said the agency was aware of the Kaspersky report but would not comment on it publicly.

Kaspersky on Monday published the technical details of its research on Monday, a move that could help infected institutions detect the spying programs, some of which trace back as far as 2001.

The disclosure could hurt the NSA's surveillance abilities, already damaged by massive leaks by former contractor Edward Snowden. Snowden's revelations have upset some U.S. allies and slowed the sales of U.S. technology products abroad.

The exposure of these new spying tools could lead to greater backlash against Western technology, particularly in countries such as China, which is already drafting regulations that would require most bank technology suppliers to proffer copies of their software code for inspection.

Peter Swire, one of five members of U.S. President Barack Obama's Review Group on Intelligence and Communications Technology, said the Kaspersky report showed that it is essential for the country to consider the possible impact on trade and diplomatic relations before deciding to use its knowledge of software flaws for intelligence gathering.

"There can be serious negative effects on other U.S. interests," Swire said.

TECHNOLOGICAL BREAKTHROUGH

According to Kaspersky, the spies made a technological breakthrough by figuring out how to lodge malicious software in the obscure code called firmware that launches every time a computer is turned on.

Disk drive firmware is viewed by spies and cybersecurity experts as the second-most valuable real estate on a PC for a hacker, second only to the BIOS code invoked automatically as a computer boots up.

"The hardware will be able to infect the computer over and over," lead Kaspersky researcher Costin Raiu said in an interview.

Though the leaders of the still-active espionage campaign could have taken control of thousands of PCs, giving them the ability to steal files or eavesdrop on anything they wanted, the spies were selective and only established full remote control over machines belonging to the most desirable foreign targets, according to Raiu. He said Kaspersky found only a few especially high-value computers with the hard-drive infections.

Kaspersky's reconstructions of the spying programs show that they could work in disk drives sold by more than a dozen companies, comprising essentially the entire market. They include Western Digital Corp, Seagate Technology Plc , Toshiba Corp, IBM, Micron Technology Inc and Samsung Electronics Co Ltd.

Western Digital, Seagate and Micron said they had no knowledge of these spying programs. Toshiba and Samsung declined to comment. IBM did not respond to requests for comment.

GETTING THE SOURCE CODE

Raiu said the authors of the spying programs must have had access to the proprietary source code that directs the actions of the hard drives. That code can serve as a roadmap to vulnerabilities, allowing those who study it to launch attacks much more easily.

"There is zero chance that someone could rewrite the [hard drive] operating system using public information," Raiu said.

Concerns about access to source code flared after a series of high-profile cyberattacks on Google Inc and other U.S. companies in 2009 that were blamed on China. Investigators have said they found evidence that the hackers gained access to source code from several big U.S. tech and defense companies.

It is not clear how the NSA may have obtained the hard drives' source code. Western Digital spokesman Steve Shattuck said the company "has not provided its source code to government agencies." The other hard drive makers would not say if they had shared their source code with the NSA.

Seagate spokesman Clive Over said it has "secure measures to prevent tampering or reverse engineering of its firmware and other technologies." Micron spokesman Daniel Francisco said the company took the security of its products seriously and "we are not aware of any instances of foreign code."

According to former intelligence operatives, the NSA has multiple ways of obtaining source code from tech companies, including asking directly and posing as a software developer. If a company wants to sell products to the Pentagon or another sensitive U.S. agency, the government can request a security audit to make sure the source code is safe.

"They don't admit it, but they do say, 'We're going to do an evaluation, we need the source code,'" said Vincent Liu, a partner at security consulting firm Bishop Fox and former NSA analyst. "It's usually the NSA doing the evaluation, and it's a pretty small leap to say they're going to keep that source code."

The NSA declined to comment on any allegations in the Kaspersky report. Vines said the agency complies with the law and White House directives to protect the United States and its allies "from a wide array of serious threats."

Kaspersky called the authors of the spying program "the Equation group," named after their embrace of complex encryption formulas.

The group used a variety of means to spread other spying programs, such as by compromising jihadist websites, infecting USB sticks and CDs, and developing a self-spreading computer worm called Fanny, Kaspersky said.

Fanny was like Stuxnet in that it exploited two of the same undisclosed software flaws, known as "zero days," which strongly suggested collaboration by the authors, Raiu said. He added that it was "quite possible" that the Equation group used Fanny to scout out targets for Stuxnet in Iran and spread the virus.

(Reporting by Joseph Menn; Editing by Tiffany Wu)

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Appreciate your concern. I doubt Oldfart's poodles could intercept my order in Thailand
Thailand? You're in Thailand now and buying the product in Thailand?

Based on your most recent posts, you should be either in Sinkieland, Kiwiland or Aussieland.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Guys please remember to upgrade your motherboard and make sure it is at SATA 3 speeds. Now all SSDs use SATA 3 but they can use SATA 2 ports i think but it won't be at the fastest speed.

Alternatively you can buy an ssd that uses the pci slot but nowadays with SATA 3 you don't need to do that.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Guys please remember to upgrade your motherboard and make sure it is at SATA 3 speeds. Now all SSDs use SATA 3 but they can use SATA 2 ports i think but it won't be at the fastest speed.

Alternatively you can buy an ssd that uses the pci slot but nowadays with SATA 3 you don't need to do that.

If anyone is considering upgrading their motherboard you should look out for one that supports SATA Express. SATA Express has a faster transfer speed than SATA III, 16GB/s vs 6GB/s.
http://www.legitreviews.com/what-is-sata-express-and-why-it-matters_140093

However current SSDs do not support SATA Express yet.

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
People usually get the latest technology for the speed right:smile:
If someone is thinking of upgrading their motherboard it's useful to know what features to look out for. Especially since you'll be using the system for 4+ years.

Other than SATA Express one can connect an SSD via the PCI port. I found the following informative http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2356396/pcie-sata-express-ssd.html

I think there is a lot of misunderstanding about SATA Express. In the new SATA 3.2 standard that was officially adopted last year the new SATA Express interface/connector was actually designed to be very flexible. It can support standard SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's and PCIe ssd's. You can connect a standard SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd with a standard SATA cable and it will work. That is as far as it goes for now. It does not look like we will be seeing much in the way of actual SATA Express ssd's. There has been speculation and unsubstantiated rumors that one or two SATA Express ssd's might be available before the end of the year but I have not been able to confirm it.

USAFRet posted a link to a really great article over at AnandTech which explains SATA Express. Everyone should read it for a better understanding of the new header/connector. Currently there are no actual SATA Express ssd's. Temporarily just consider the new SATA Express header/connector as another SATA connector for SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's.

Although motherboard manufacturers have included SATA Express headers/connectors on new Z97 and X99 motherboards, that is not their actual preference. Both motherboard and ssd manufacturers have a preference for the new M.2 NGFF ssd's and for a very good reason.

For the past several years sales of desktp pc's have been declining while sales of mobile pc's have been increasing Last year mobile pc's outsold desktop pc's. The same thing is happening this year. The new M.2 ssd's were specifically designed for mobile computing. The M.2 ssd's are also suitable for desktop pc.'s. It is a situation where it was more economical to go with M.2 ssd's instead of SATA Express ssd's.

There is quite a bit of flexability with the new M.2 headers/connectors. There are several variations:

1. M.2 PCIe 3.0 x 4
2. M.2 PCIe 2.0 x4
3. M.2 PCIe 2.0 x2
4. SATA 3 6Gb/s
5. Various combinations of PCIe and SATA 3 6gB/S

The vast majority of M.2 headers/connectors on motherboards are M.2 PCIe 2.0 x2. Motherboard companies have also managed to cause quite a bit of confusion. Most of the specifications mention M.2 but do not identify which variation. ASRock is the one exception. The company did a good job of identifying the M.2 variations in their specifications.

There are other variations of PCIe ssd's. They can be mounted on a pcb board which is inserted into a PCIe slot on a motherboard. The same ssd can also be enclosed in a shroud. The ones I saw looked like half height, half length graphic cards. They can also be mounted inside a standard 2.5 inch ssd enclosure mounted in a drive bay and connected to the motherboard with a cable.

Currently the world's fastest consumer ssd is the Samsung XP941 M.2 PCIe 2.0 x4 ssd. Samsung has been mass producing and distributing the XP941 for almost 18 months now. We haven't heard very much about it because it is OEM only. Samsung has lucrative contracts to supply the ssd to computer companies such as Dell, Lenovo, Apple, Acers and others. Samsung never released a retail version for consumers. It wasn't until earlier this year that a few select vendors started selling the XP941 as a replacement ssd.

Samsung is working on their new SM951 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 ssd. In addition to the upgrade to PCIe 3.0 x4, the ssd will have some other new features. Among the new features is NVM Express (NVMe) which will be replacing the old ACHI mode. If all goes well mass productin and distribution to OEM partners will start in about 6 months. It is not known whether a retail version will be available for consumers. Two days ago ASRock released their brand new X99 Extreme11 motherboard. The board is equipped with two M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 headers/connectors. The bad news is the board is equipped with so many extra features it costs $649.99 USD.

I maintain the ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.ht...

The database includes seperate PCIe and M.2 categories for each brand plus links to published technical reviews.

dr.wailing

Alfrescian
Loyal
If anyone is considering upgrading their motherboard you should look out for one that supports SATA Express. SATA Express has a faster transfer speed than SATA III, 16GB/s vs 6GB/s
According to a little bird from the West, if you wish to buy mobos that have native Intel chipset support of SATA Express, you may have to wait for at least another year--in the second half of 2016.

The name of the Intel chipset that supports SATA Express is called Skylake.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset