• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Preparation for Haze days II

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I saw this on promotion in Best denki and bought it at $299, comes with one extra free 99.97% True Hepa filter. Looks nice but not sure what kind of rating..

http://www.lioncityco.com/product_info.php?products_id=4596

If it is a true HEPA air filter than $299 is a good price. I've notice that Harvy Norman at the Novena location is selling the Sharp KCA50EW for under $500.

Good idea to consider taking advantage of these prices because when haze II comes around everyone will jacking up their prices.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
If it is a true HEPA air filter than $299 is a good price. I've notice that Harvy Norman at the Novena location is selling the Sharp KCA50EW for under $500.

Good idea to consider taking advantage of these prices because when haze II comes around everyone will jacking up their prices.

Huh buy at Best denki should be quite safe and true Hepa filter right? Always see Novita water and air filter around, thought they are okay brand, but looks like they have no CADR rate for the NAP501 model I bought, only airflow rate which don't know what is it..do you know whether the below airflow rates are considered good enough?

Speed Setting
Air Flow Rate
Turbo
250 m³/hr
High
180 m³/hr
Medium
120 m³/hr
Low
80 m³/hr
Silent
50 m³/hr

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Btw I saw Sharp on promotion in Best denki too, one low end model selling $149 with Hepa filter. For up to 19 sq m room.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Huh buy at Best denki should be quite safe and true Hepa filter right? Always see Novita water and air filter around, thought they are okay brand, but looks like they have no CADR rate for the NAP501 model I bought, only airflow rate which don't know what is it..do you know whether the below airflow rates are considered good enough?

Speed Setting
Air Flow Rate
Turbo
250 m³/hr
High
180 m³/hr
Medium
120 m³/hr
Low
80 m³/hr
Silent
50 m³/hr

Those CADR ratings make comparisons between brands & models possible. I have yet to see an Asian brands use the CADR ratings. It could be the added cost for those tests or for some brands even detrimental if people knew how ineffective their products are:biggrin:

Without the CADR yardstick rating the only other measurement of effectiveness is that it is a true HEPA unit. Some brands claim HEPA like performance so one has to be careful. So even if you buy from places respectable outlets like Best Denki the sales people have no control on the quality of products.

I went looking at Courts to check on the price for the Novita NAP501. It is $299. Novita is a Spore brand. The cheaper models usually mean that it is effective for smaller rooms. However without a CADR rating it's hard to do any comparison.:confused:

That's why I went with a Honeywell. Good name brand & cheaper prices from Amazon.

ginfreely

Alfrescian
Loyal
Was told the original price is $369, now on promotion $299 and with one extra filter free. The Court's price comes with extra free filter?

Oh so CADR is very important, too bad forgot about it when buying, only remember to check that it is 99.97% True Hepa filter. Novita has another model $199 only but comes with a 95% Hepa filter, that's why I bought the $299 one.

Yeah Honeywell should be more branded and better buy with CADR of 250, thought of buying from Amazon too but very cumbersome as need to use transformer.

Those CADR ratings make comparisons between brands & models possible. I have yet to see an Asian brands use the CADR ratings. It could be the added cost for those tests or for some brands even detrimental if people knew how ineffective their products are:biggrin:

Without the CADR yardstick rating the only other measurement of effectiveness is that it is a true HEPA unit. Some brands claim HEPA like performance so one has to be careful. So even if you buy from places respectable outlets like Best Denki the sales people have no control on the quality of products.

I went looking at Courts to check on the price for the Novita NAP501. It is $299. Novita is a Spore brand. The cheaper models usually mean that it is effective for smaller rooms. However without a CADR rating it's hard to do any comparison.:confused:

That's why I went with a Honeywell. Good name brand & cheaper prices from Amazon.

WhatsApp

Alfrescian
Loyal
Whatever it is one needs to be well stocked for the mask before prices rise and worst when its not available.

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Haze from Indonesia is officially back. It's 3.43am in the East of Singapore now 13 Feb 2014, and the haze is clearly (the irony) detected both visually and olfactorily. Long thread on the EDMW forum with pple all around Singapore detecting the haze right now.

http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/e...ingapore-2014-haze-discussions-4573888-4.html
http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/e...ingapore-2014-haze-discussions-4573888-5.html
http://forums.fuckwarezone.com.sg/e...ingapore-2014-haze-discussions-4573888-6.html

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whatever it is one needs to be well stocked for the mask before prices rise and worst when its not available.

Don't worry PAP claim that they have a large number of masks on standby. So no need to worry lah, ehh ..if you believe them:rolleyes:
I remember reading that these N95 masks have an expiration date. So I hope old stocks are replaced with fresh stocks.

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP must give to every citizen a standby mask and air filter.They are useless and hopeless and ballsless when dealing with the Indonesians.They prefer to lose millions and billions in overseas speculations but spend very little on the health of its citizens.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hi,

I have never bought from Amazon before, but only ebay. How do I buy from Amazon and get it shipped to sg? Do we need to go thru a third party shipper? tks.

If you go to the UK site you will see that the selection is limited compared to the US site.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hi,

I have never bought from Amazon before, but only ebay. How do I buy from Amazon and get it shipped to sg? Do we need to go thru a third party shipper? tks.

If you have a VISA card it is very easy to order things from Amzon. You just need to register an account with them. Just go to their site & at the upper right corner you will find a "Your Account" menu. After selecting this, just choose the "New Customer? start here"

Create the account e.g. choose password, mailing address, CC info, etc You can also include a second address if you want to use a 3rd party freight forwarder.
You will only need a 3rd party freight forwarder if you are ordering items which cannot be sent to addresses out side the US.

You can order a Honeywell 50250-S & Amazon will ship it to Spore. However if you want a Honeywell Pure HEPA QuietCare Air Purifier, 17000 you will need a freight forwarder because they cannot will not send it to an address outside of the US:eek:
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-502...263668&sr=8-2&keywords=honeywell+air+purifier
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Lon...263668&sr=8-3&keywords=honeywell+air+purifier

If you order the Honeywell 50250 & have it shipped to Spore, they will charge for overseas shipping, Spore's gst, etc

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If you are on a tight budget or are cheap like me, buying directly from the US will save you $. Just remember to factor in the price of a voltage convertor 220V to 120v which you can find in places like Sim Lim Sq.

Getting a Honeywell will cost from eBay will cost about SIN$297(with shipping). In Spore the price of a Honeywell that will run on 220V probably be about $475 go take a look at http://www.mjhub.biz/?s=honeywell&post_type=product

As a consumer you have the option to decide:smile:

I bought the Honeywell 50250 with 2 boxes of extra pre-filters for SIN$408.73. It shipped to my door within about 2 weeks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7RY/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0046L57WA/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

Last edited:

UltimaOnline

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If you are on a tight budget or are cheap like me, buying directly from the US will save you $. Just remember to factor in the price of a voltage convertor 220V to 120v which you can find in places like Sim Lim Sq.

Beware the wattage. I bought converters with insufficient wattages the first couple of times, and they kept melting/blowing up. After blowing a few hundred bucks, I realized the minimum wattage required for such air purifiers from USA, is 300W.

What wattage do you use for your converters, Johnny?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Beware the wattage. I bought converters with insufficient wattages the first couple of times, and they kept melting/blowing up. After blowing a few hundred bucks, I realized the minimum wattage required for such air purifiers from USA, is 300W.

What wattage do you use for your converters, Johnny?

I have a Newstar 500 watt unit. It has 3 outlets on the front.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you for the advise and I think this is a helpful thread.

Just to highlight to readers, that some items listed as new in ebay, may be re-conditioned or shop floor demo units, just be careful. I usually buy from online stores with high volume quality sales just to be sure. The price and shipping may be higher but then........that's the risk and cost of online purchases:o

QUOTE=johnny333;1788394]If you are on a tight budget or are cheap like me, buying directly from the US will save you $. Just remember to factor in the price of a voltage convertor 220V to 120v which you can find in places like Sim Lim Sq.

Getting a Honeywell will cost from eBay will cost about SIN$297(with shipping). In Spore the price of a Honeywell that will run on 220V ...................][/QUOTE]

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The hazy smell evidently strong last night..

I'm recovering from a bad chest infection , given 5 days MC on the first few days of CNY and last week I took another 7 days leave to recuperate..

Should have return back to Malaysia last Sunday to resume work but with this new haze problem, I think I took the wrong decision to lengthen my holiday in Sinkie Land..:(