• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRC representing Singaporea ping pong team?

HellBoy

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's call the China B team. It's shameful to have the whole team makeup of FT and really defeat the puropse of competing as a country.
This is just a sick joke to me.

Other countries also have PRC table tennis player in their team, usually one or two but this doesn't mean that it's the right thing to do.

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
ln-shanmugam.jpg

Singapore is not a country.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Even if these PRC won an Gold medal it wouldn't serve local Singaporeans any pride. Not only will they get 100K but in the future these PRC can brag about how local Singaporeans could never have gotten an Gold medal if weren't for the PRC citizens.

http://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/fi...till-gunning-two-medals-london-034827929.html

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. you & many dafter sheep still believe those over-the-hill specimens are capable to bag some medals in london 12.
3. just be patient!
4. daft sheep shall purchase another batch of specimens from chineyland after its defeat in aug.

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I support the govt all the way,it is a genius way to shine the Singapore brand name.Anyway it does not matter because they are all our Chinese cousin!

jw5

Loyal
The issue is not whether they are prc or not.
The main reason for all these is that the first tier leaders want to have something to brag about to their counterparts from other countries.
The second and third tier leaders then go "all out" to get the medals, may it be recruiting foreign players or coaches from foreign countries, giving them huge incentives, possibly to the extent of even sidelining the local sportsman or not giving them a chance to develop.

To the best of my knowledge, this is what the first prc national who became SG number 1 player and her successor did or are doing:

The first one was SG number 1 player. She married one of the local Singaporean coaches. By now probably one or 2 kids. After she retired from playing, became a coach for SG national team.
Her successor was SG number 1 player. She married a Beijing national based in Beijing. Said to have purchased properties in Beijing. Now still playing for SG but not the number 1 player anymore.
It's not the fact that they were from prc that's the issue. It's what they do and how they think subsequently.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The thread is misleading bro, it should be PRC REPRESENTED Singapore Ping Pong team :biggrin:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The extensive media coverage on ping pong would have you believe that it is the national sport of Singapore.

It's not.

Also, the powers that be should go and audit the finances of the Singapore Table Tennis Association and the Singapore Sports Council. I'm quite sure there'll be some dirty secrets hiding underneath the noble veneer of sports.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that is the issue. This country should be represented by Singaporeans and it then brings the country and people together. Rremember the Malaysia Cup days albeit minor tournament it was a tremendous binding glue for nationhood.

If we get instant sportman from a foreign country and when they retire from sports and become totally Singaporean in many ways, it just helps soothes the pain but does not not actually do anything in the Singapore world of sports.

The issue is not whether they are prc or not.

The first one was SG number 1 player. She married one of the local Singaporean coaches. By now probably one or 2 kids. After she retired from playing, became a coach for SG national team.
Her successor was SG number 1 player. She married a Beijing national based in Beijing. Said to have purchased properties in Beijing. Now still playing for SG but not the number 1 player anymore.
It's not the fact that they were from prc that's the issue. It's what they do and how they think subsequently.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The influx of these PRC players stifled the progress of young talented local Ping Pong players..

After all these years of having all these PRCs, I have yet to see a young local player progressing to the senior team..

Few years later, we're goin to see this vicious cycle repeating itself all over again.. When these present group of PRCs players retire, another new batch of PRCs will be imported from China.. And once again, our young local players will be restricted to just the junior team..

pallkia

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think that is the issue. This country should be represented by Singaporeans and it then brings the country and people together. Rremember the Malaysia Cup days albeit minor tournament it was a tremendous binding glue for nationhood.

If we get instant sportman from a foreign country and when they retire from sports and become totally Singaporean in many ways, it just helps soothes the pain but does not not actually do anything in the Singapore world of sports.

Your such kind of mindset is like the mat in Malaysia which is holding back the progress of the entire country with their "sitting under the coconut tree dreaming" mentally,by holding back the Malaysian chinese from progressing Malaysia into a first world league.

jw5

Loyal

I believe that it has to a mixture, because of 2 reasons:

1. In some sports, bringing in FT really helps the game to develop. Our society is such that we don't have enough numbers, willingness and capability to have talent in most sports. Lots of countries have naturalised citizens representing them. It just has to be clear local sport development is the key, and not the advancement of officials and second or third tier government leaders. Malaysia cup yes, but back to Abbas Saad/Jang Jung era, not quite back to Kim Song/Dollah era.

2. Some FT in the country is required, but the government needs to be clear not only with policy but execution, that these are the ones that are going to contribute to SG LT and not simply to make a fast buck. Our problem is not foreigners, it's too many foreigners of low quality and character, some with fake cvs and qualifications and even conmen and punks. Be much more discerning in the screening and assessment of FTs in not only sports, but all areas. To use another footballing example, there is also difference between Alexander Duric and Egmar Goncalves.

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The influx of these PRC players stifled the progress of young talented local Ping Pong players..

After all these years of having all these PRCs, I have yet to see a young local player progressing to the senior team..

Few years later, we're goin to see this vicious cycle repeating itself all over again.. When these present group of PRCs players retire, another new batch of PRCs will be imported from China.. And once again, our young local players will be restricted to just the junior team..

Remembered there was a case when the seLectors were undecided whether to choose RonaLd SusiLo or LocaL boy Kendrick, who have been beating him in LocaL tournaments; for an IBF event.
EventuaLLy they went for SusiLo, for his experience (or perhaps SBF have invested too much $ on him); and he
got ko'ed in the 1st round.
Back home, there was some internaL outcry; about seLectors not giving our LocaL boys a chance..:cool:
So how can LocaL taLents grow without giving them exposures ?..same sad story for other sports here as weLL.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Remembered there was a case when the seLectors were undecided whether to choose RonaLd SusiLo or LocaL boy Kendrick, who have been beating him in LocaL tournaments; for an IBF event.
EventuaLLy they went for SusiLo, for his experience (or perhaps SBF have invested too much $ on him); and he
got ko'ed in the 1st round.
Back home, there was some internaL outcry; about seLectors not giving our LocaL boys a chance..:cool:
So how can LocaL taLents grow without giving them exposures ?..same sad story for other sports here as weLL.

You are right.. Badminton is another national sport that is full of these FTs.. We used to see our local kids playing badminton on the public courts around the HDB estates.. But all I see now are the FT Ah Nehs playing the game on these courts during the weekends..

Kendrick was once touted as the next big thing.. But look what happened to him now.. We used to have so many talented local players like Zarina Abdullah.. Then there were past legends like Wong Peng Soon Wong Shoon Keat..

These Sports Associations will say that the present local kids are not hungry enough, too pampered and not talented.. But this is all bullshit..

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I support the govt all the way,it is a genius way to shine the Singapore brand name.Anyway it does not matter because they are all our Chinese cousin!

hi there

1. hahaha!
2. i also suppork buying some latino-america beauty representing sheepishland in the miss universe thing.
3. more famous too!
4. what matters most is to win at all cost mah.

Last edited: