• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PRC Man Use Home-Made Dialysis Machine For 13 Years !

GOD IS MY DOG

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A man from Nanjing, China, built his own dialysis machine to keep himself alive for 13 years, after he couldn’t afford to receive proper hospital care.

Hu Songwen was diagnosed with renal failure, in 1993. From that point on, he was forced to visit the hospital every six days, a treatment that cost him $80 per visit. He and his family managed for six years, until all their savings were exhausted. That’s when he built his own dialysis machine, using only a textbook, kitchen equipment and medical supplies. ”When I told the doctors what I was doing, they said I was crazy,” he said, but his homemade contraption has kept him alive for the last 13 years, at a fraction of the hospital costs. He spent an initial $800 on a pump, after failed attempts to make his own, and now each dialysis session costs him around $10 in filters and chemicals. ”The most important part of the machine is the filter, and I can use each one eight times. A new filter costs $16, while a proper medical machine can run into hundreds of thousands of pounds” Hu said.

“As long as you have a high school degree, understand the principle of dialysis, follow the operational instructions and keep a close watch during the process, nothing should go wrong,” Hu said. He did mention two friends have died after using similar homemade dialysis machines, but that has never deterred him from continuing the self-administered treatment.

His invention works as an external kidney. It’s made up of two compartments separated by a membrane filter that allows only some particles to get through The machine is connected to his arm via a couple of tubes; the bad blood goes out through one tube, and enters his body through the other, after it was filtered. The dialysis fluid by mixing potassium chloride, sodium chloride and sodium hydrogen carbonate (bicarbonate) into purified water.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
He spent an initial $800 on a pump, after failed attempts to make his own, and now each dialysis session costs him around $10 in filters and chemicals. ”The most important part of the machine is the filter, and I can use each one eight times. A new filter costs $16, while a proper medical machine can run into hundreds of thousands of pounds” Hu said.

So, this proved that the medical industries are more keen to making obsence profit from your pedicament rather then saving your life. I am quite sure a no frills life saving dialysis machine shouldn't cost more then a few thousands S$. If it can be bought and place in the patients own home, it should save a lot of unccessary stress, time and money which in terms can be translated to not only saving but also improve the quality of the patient life. Isn't it?

Food for thought for NKF.