• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Poor Sinkies' Favourite MP Louis Ng Worried That Civil Servants Don't Dare To Speak Up!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
louis-ng-nee-soon-grc-budget-2018-speech.jpg

Nee Soon GRC MP Louis Ng has given a widely-lauded Budget debate speechon Tuesday, Feb. 27.

In what has become a pet topic of his, Ng said in Parliament that public servants are afraid of speaking up in case they anger their superiors, have their appraisals affected and get passed over for promotion, just because they rocked the boat and upset the status quo.

This is a follow-up to his 2017 Budget debate speech when Ng said the Public Service has “lost its heart” in its pursuit to automate processes.

Public servant feedback
Ng said his speech is the result of candid conversations with public servants in closed door dialogue sessions.

He said some public servants he met told him directly that it is almost impossible to feel motivated to do more because mediocrity is rewarded.

Worse, he said he had even received messages forwarded to him to be careful, after he spoke up on this issue in 2017: “My sister was also passing me messages from her friends, telling me to be careful.”

This problem stems from a fear of speaking honestly.

Ng recounted an incident where a public servant stopped halfway when speaking behind closed doors with him and admitted to feeling afraid of speaking out because Ng is an MP.

Ng said, quoting what he was told: “… actually I’m feeling quite afraid of opposing your view, as you are an MP. And I realise that subconsciously I started my sentence by saying ‘with all due respect sir’, in hope that you will be less offended by what I was about to say”.

Change the appraisal system
Ng also said this culture of subordinates doing what they are told and not rocking the boat will be detrimental to the Public Service.

It will result in the “loss of good ideas, of better ways of doing things and the loss of good public servants”.

To prevent these from happening, Ng said the public servants whom he has spoken to have suggested revamping the appraisal system, which they felt prevents them from speaking up.

In what is perhaps the most radical recommendation, Ng said changing the appraisal system where superiors are being graded by subordinates will encourage public servants to speak up with less fear.

Ng said some multinational corporations, such as Google and Alibaba, already use a “360 appraisal review” that allows employees to review and grade their direct managers.

Ng said: “The current appraisal system (in the Public Service) does not incentivise risk-taking and innovation, and I suggest we change it urgently.”

At one point, Ng even quoted the comic Calvin and Hobbes: “If you care, you just get disappointed all the time. If you don’t care, nothing matters, so you are never upset.”

https://mothership.sg/2018/02/mp-louis-ng-public-servant-budget-speech-parliament/

kryonlight

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You don't have to speak up because I am the Emperor. Just do what I tell you, nincompoop JohnTan!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
This culture is prevalent everywhere lah. No superior ever like to hear problems and bad things. Always praise and flatter is better than hard truths and shameful honesty.

Those smart workers know this. Only the stupid ones will be honest then after that kpkb why never get promoted. Meanwhile the superior will tell them things like they value their honesty and think they really care about organization but other factors limit their potential for promotion.

ahlau

Alfrescian
Loyal
What an idiot moron. Another wayang clown MP. His recent wayang to pose as a cardboard collector is so damn comical. How these fartheads get chosen to be PAP MP???

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
Please don't talk cock.

Why don't MPs such as yourself set the example by voicing out against government policies which adversely affect the citizens, such as the impending increase of GST despite a healthy reserve?

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
my uncle say who so siao dare to say unless they want their head to roll when 皇上 say 拉出去斩了 .

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What an idiot moron. Another wayang clown MP. His recent wayang to pose as a cardboard collector is so damn comical. How these fartheads get chosen to be PAP MP???

These are the best talents that the PAP says they attracts & choose. These the chosen ones, supposedly of superior quality than the oppositions. He is one those, like the "kate spade" rin tin tin, "see toes" 'abalone porridge' & many others, given the mandate to speak like a clown, act like one & get paid like one, by the 70%. They contribute nothing, of value to the people.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
my uncle say a big phua chi bye to all the mp using connections to the emperor to be a rich doggie.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why is he dressed like a fucking odd job labourer going to a wedding dinner with his cheap tacky shirt and jacket?!

Don't forget the tie with bugs bunny all over, bought from those tacky, novelty tie shops that you can find in the city, plus the purple socks, shinning cloth pipe pants, V05 sprayed hair or Tancho, long finger nail at the pinky...white hankerchief...you left out all these.

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why is he dressed like a fucking odd job labourer going to a wedding dinner with his cheap tacky shirt and jacket?!

If I may add to your observation; he looks like an ah tiong attending a village wedding reception or perhaps even the bridegroom himself. I say this matter-of-factly without any malice or ill will. He is not bad looking though!