• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Political Offensive Against Pan-Opposition Movement

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
My response to TRE

Dear Editors,

I write to you in response to the article you have put up on Sylvia Lim & Quah Kim Song saga. It has inaccurately portrayed me “criticising” or “attacking” WP or Sylvia Lim. For the record, these photos of QKS with his ex-girl friend were not put up by me at all. I only make comment on the observations on how Sylvia Lim has been entrapped by such personal attachment and public life in which she was slowly led or misled into a politically vulnerable and dangerous situation.

Die hard opposition supporters like you in TR Emeritus (TRE) may not take it as an important issue over the photo revelation but we should always bear in mind that Singapore political battles are fought over the middle ground, not over die hard opposition or PAP supporters.

PAP has been on the “defensive” right after GE 2011 in which the Prime Minister himself has lowered himself and apologized during last GE. Apparently PAP has come to different conclusion now and it has adjusted its political posturing and position, moving off from defensive to offensive mode.

This can be seen from the Ceiling Gate Saga and the open criticism on prominent opposition member, Ravi Philemon over the Haze-N95 Mask saga. Such offensive has been extended by some sectors (ISD, PAP people, SPH or otherwise) to cover all other opposition members and bloggers like Vincent Wijeysingha, Alex Au etc.
I regret that amidst of the recent launch of new political offensive initiative by the invisible hand against Pan-opposition movement, TRE has chosen to divert attention and focus from the key message I have put up on the forum.

The key concern is the observation of the latest political offensive and the call for prudence on Sylvia’s part in dealing with her own private relationship else she may find herself victimized by those who have planned all these deliberate, well planned offensive against all people who are anti-PAP or anti-establishment (including SPH etc) regardless of whether they are bloggers or prominent opposition members.
We have seen deliberate attacks on individuals and website like yours by pro-PAP netters as well as the main stream media (MSM).

As much as WP Low Thia Khang has wished to “walk his own path” from other opposition parties, WP and its MPs will always be seen as part of the “Pan-Opposition” movement. People with the agenda to prolong PAP’s monopoly of power in Singapore will not stop or be merciful in finding all means to attack WP, even if it means to use underhand tactics as such, leveraging on its members’ private lives to undermine the whole Pan-opposition movement.

Many people may portray me as “Anti-WP” which is totally inaccurate at all. I am first and foremost, part of this Pan-opposition movement. But I also think that the only SUSTAINABLE way of keeping effective opposition presence in parliament is to keep opposition MPs in parliament up on their toes and not to be complacent. Especially so when the question of integrity, democratic values and principles are at stake, opposition movement must always be seen Whiter than the White PAP and keep ourselves on the Moral High Ground.

Anyone, especially the die hard supporters, who may always point to “Oh PAP also do that” are doing a great disservice to the whole opposition movement. If opposition parties or MPs are so much the same as PAP in some undesirable traits, then it begs the question on WHY would the MIDDLE GROUND voters want to vote for Opposition Parties instead of PAP since both are as black as they are? Furthermore, if opposition MPs cannot clear any doubts or questions on their integrity and such, it will compromise their position in parliament as an effective check and balance in parliament because they have lost the Moral High Ground.

As we can see and will see more in future, PAP will use diversion tactic whenever WP MPs want to question them on various issues….eg. they will shoot WP at Ceiling Gate, FMSS Gate when WP want to question PAP on AIM saga…etc. Such situation is detrimental to the Pan-opposition movement.

In fact, PAP is now trying to portray itself as “clean” and “white” again with the recent actions taken against errant civil servants, its own ex-MP and even its own MP cum Speaker of Parliament in Palmer-Gate. It is trying every means to create the impression or perception that it has the Moral High Ground of impartiality to enforce necessary punishment to its own kind. This is done concurrently with the effort to “expose” WP’s weakness or even create doubts on its overall integrity. Yes, die hard supporters may just brush this off as political smearing and such but we must again remind ourselves the the battle is fought over winning the minds and hearts of the middle ground.

If Pan-Opposition movement cannot show that it is impartial and fair in commenting and making reasonable remarks on the shortcomings of ourselves, we may risk losing credibility in the minds of the middle ground.

I shall use a quote from a prominent Malaysian businessman to end this article:

失败是成功之母,成功也是失败之母。
“Failure is the mother of Success, Success is also the mother of Failure”

I hope that the Pan-opposition movement in Singapore can develop healthily and shall maintain its Moral Compass in maneuvering through the rough seas of political struggle.

Goh Meng Seng

Last edited:

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I write to you in response to the article you have put up on Sylvia Lim & Quah Kim Song saga. It has inaccurately portrayed me “criticising” or “attacking” WP or Sylvia Lim.

As TRE themselves explained, they merely reprised your quotes from this forum.

For the record, these photos of QKS with his ex-girl friend were not put up by me at all.

No one accused you of putting up these photos.

I only make comment on the observations on how Sylvia Lim has been entrapped by such personal attachment and public life in which she was slowly led or misled into a politically vulnerable and dangerous situation.

If we have people who think like you, the newspaper forums or some place will be filled with such similar views. As I said before, other than thinking that you deserve awards and medals for your unique perspectives, there's nothing more.

Die hard opposition supporters like you in TR Emeritus (TRE) may not take it as an important issue over the photo revelation but we should always bear in mind that Singapore political battles are fought over the middle ground, not over die hard opposition or PAP supporters.

And your "middle ground" discovers that Sylvia Lim's boyfriend actually had an ex-girlfriend, goes into a shock and henceforth finds WP unelectable.

This can be seen from the Ceiling Gate Saga and the open criticism on prominent opposition member, Ravi Philemon over the Haze-N95 Mask saga. Such offensive has been extended by some sectors (ISD, PAP people, SPH or otherwise) to cover all other opposition members and bloggers like Vincent Wijeysingha, Alex Au etc.

But no one saw you "correct" Ravi, Vincent or Alex or express "concern" the way you did for WP. On the contrary, you supported and defended them as being not wrong. Why the inconsistency.

I regret that amidst of the recent launch of new political offensive initiative by the invisible hand against Pan-opposition movement, TRE has chosen to divert attention and focus from the key message I have put up on the forum.

I am sure I will find many who will agree with me that you sound like part of the "new political offensive initiative" yourself.

The key concern is the observation of the latest political offensive and the call for prudence on Sylvia’s part in dealing with her own private relationship else she may find herself victimized by those who have planned all these deliberate, well planned offensive against all people who are anti-PAP or anti-establishment (including SPH etc) regardless of whether they are bloggers or prominent opposition members.

Two public figures whose relationship becomes public by any way is nearly applicable in all global cases. You can tell us who from your "middle ground" find this a lack of prudence.

Many people may portray me as “Anti-WP” which is totally inaccurate at all.

Being anti-something is to single out something for higher and unrealistic standards. I will leave it to people to judge if you have used fair benchmarks not only between PAP and WP but between WP and any of the third parties (although quite a number have judged and the outcome doesn't seem to be in your favour).

I am first and foremost, part of this Pan-opposition movement.

I am sure many are itching to tell you to make up your mind if you are an neutral analyst or an opposition personality because within very short times you have switched claim between both.

But I also think that the only SUSTAINABLE way of keeping effective opposition presence in parliament is to keep opposition MPs in parliament up on their toes and not to be complacent. Especially so when the question of integrity, democratic values and principles are at stake, opposition movement must always be seen Whiter than the White PAP and keep ourselves on the Moral High Ground.

That is primarily the role of the PAP and their supporters. Claiming to be part of the pan-opposition movement does not mean you cannot discern the mistakes of the opposition. I am sure WP supporters find fault in the way SDP carries itself and SDP supporters don't like some of WP's ways. None of them spend the same amount and portion of their time keeping the opposition on their toes as you, and this only tells that you are neither not anti-WP nor behave like any opposition personality.

Anyone, especially the die hard supporters, who may always point to “Oh PAP also do that” are doing a great disservice to the whole opposition movement. If opposition parties or MPs are so much the same as PAP in some undesirable traits, then it begs the question on WHY would the MIDDLE GROUND voters want to vote for Opposition Parties instead of PAP since both are as black as they are? Furthermore, if opposition MPs cannot clear any doubts or questions on their integrity and such, it will compromise their position in parliament as an effective check and balance in parliament because they have lost the Moral High Ground.

And your idea is that PAP makes mistakes, therefore WP cannot make mistakes? Hello, there are no gods here. Who can tell me they live a day without mistakes - Gandhi, Thatcher or Martin Luther King? What we do is to compare mistakes by examining the nature, cause, scale and impact of each mistake. What you do is up to you.

As we can see and will see more in future, PAP will use diversion tactic whenever WP MPs want to question them on various issues….eg. they will shoot WP at Ceiling Gate, FMSS Gate when WP want to question PAP on AIM saga…etc. Such situation is detrimental to the Pan-opposition movement.

For me, I will trust people to make judgement. If people see PAP mistakes as not mistakes just because WP also has mistakes, let them have the PAP because whether SDP or NSP takes WP's place, the same thing will happen.

If Pan-Opposition movement cannot show that it is impartial and fair in commenting and making reasonable remarks on the shortcomings of ourselves, we may risk losing credibility in the minds of the middle ground.

You are contradicting yourself again. You claim to be speaking up because an opposition party made mistakes to cost them credibility, but if you don't speak up, the opposition will also lose their credibility. If you have so little faith in the opposition and the people, you might as well switch your life's focus to something else.

One more thing. I can't reconcile a genuine feel of concern and worry and remarks like "eating popcorn and watching show".

Last edited:

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Harban Goh ...you are a disgrace to the Opposition cause. You serve no one but yourself. And you have shown yourself to do character assassination and even stoop to indulge in gutter personal attacks just to push yourself as the righteous opposition politician. Is there no boundary to your attacks on the WP? Here's a lady who has found the love of her life ....and you can even find issues with that. You are totally sick.

There is no PAN-OPPOSITION in sinkapore. There is the WP and there are the wannabees, including yourself. The WP has spent decades fighting for their cause ...they have a rich history ....then there are wannabees like you who hope to get a free ride to success. When that was not given, you launched incessant attacks on the WP. You should join the PAP please so that when the PAP is tossed out, you can be one of them.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From TRE's comments page + my comments:

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/08/04/political-offensive-against-pan-opposition-movement/

Goh Meng Seng said:
First of all, I thank TRE for putting up my article. However, I do not think TRE is intellectually dishonest in two instances: 1) TRE has yet again, divert the REAL issue from my original title “Political Offensive Against Pan-Opposition Movement” to this present title “Goh Meng Seng: I’m not Anti-WP. It is apparently another attempt of Trolling and I am really very disappointed with TRE. We have been attacking SPH reporters about certain reports but the truth is, it was always the editors who change the title of these reports deliberately to slant focus and even edit their reporting in a skewed manner. This is bad editorial practice and I regret that TRE has learned from SPH editors as well.

To call TRE intellectually dishonest for using a title they deem more suitable is exaggerating (as usual of GMS).
1. TRE has their own editoral policy. They or SPH are not the only agencies in the world who will claim the right to their own policy. GMS can try checking with the Washington Post.
2. The title was taken from his own words.
3. "Political Offensive Against Pan-Opposition Movement" sounds uncatchy and meaningless. Surely GMS wants to attract readers when he sent the article to TRE.

Goh Meng Seng said:
2) TRE claimed that it has just merely put up my posting from the forum for all to see but the truth is, they were taken out of context and worst, only two out of quite a few postings are posted to portray a slanted perspective with the Trolling intent. Someone has already pointed this point in his comment on the said article. Half truth is no truth. Here again, a usual bad reporting practice learned from SPH as well. I do not think it is anything FAIR by reporting selectively and asked readers to form their own opinion from these slanted presentation.

The thing that started this was his own trolling. Nobody bothered or mentioned him before his first post alluding Sylvia Lim's relationship to a mistake and far-fetchedly link that to WP's "mistakes" in Parliament and the hawker centre issue. His reconciliatory remarks came after and in response to TRE putting up his first few remarks, so how can TRE put up the later remarks when he has not written them yet? By not revealing such truths, GMS seems to be like SPH himself.

Goh Meng Seng said:
As for the many disparaging comments posted on here on TRE, it is regrettable that most are made without even reading carefully what has been written and it is also apparent that they have been largely misled by the slanted title TRE has chosen to replace mine.

GMS Rule No. 1: As long as you don't agree with GMS, you are not reading carefully what he said.

Goh Meng Seng said:
It is also disheartening to see some die hard opposition supporters/WP people to use such a language against those who they disagree with, even going to the extend of cursing me to die early. I am not perturbed by such cursing but I guess these people are abusing their Freedom of Speech and Expression in which Pan-opposition movement has fought very hard for it.

It's true such remarks to him are distasteful. But as if GMS has done good service to the pan-opposition movement by his bizarre behaviour and anti-WP actions.

Goh Meng Seng said:
To put it bluntly, even hardcore PAP IB doesn’t use such curse openly against opposition members.

You are right. PAP IB also did not use "shit", "stupid" and "insects" against opposition members. We also have one anti-WP supporter like him called SKPonggol who uses non stop vulgarities on LTK, Sylvia and other WP members. GMS has been silent and no comment on the actions of anti-WP supporters.

Goh Meng Seng said:
If you want Freedom of Speech, you must first learn to respect other people’s right to express themselves freely even though you may disagree with it.

Agree. What about calling those who disagree with him "blind", "shit", "stupid" and "insects"?

Goh Meng Seng said:
Last but not least, for those who cannot comprehend exactly what is going on, nope, I have no interests in meddling nor interfering in Sylvia Lim’s love life. It is none of my business, really.

After truckloads of comments, he's not actually interested. Yes, we believe.

Goh Meng Seng said:
I could only wish her good luck and happiness.

Didn't he say WP supporters were silly to wish them good luck and happiness?

Goh Meng Seng said:
I was just commenting on the way Sylvia Lim handle the press on this matter which puts herself in a very dangerously vulnerable position politically. Whether you take this as “advice” or not, I am really not bothered but it puts WP and the whole Pan-opposition movement at risk again.

After truckloads of comments, he is actually not bothered. I guess we got it wrong again.

Goh Meng Seng said:
It is also a good lesson to be learned by younger opposition members. Don’t ever feel compelled to reply to reporters about your love life if it is just a normal relationship (i.e. not a scandalous adultery or such). They should protect you as a public figure if they truly love you.

Does GMS dare to swear by his conscience that if the couple chooses not to admit to the press but the press reports it anyway, he will have nothing to say?

Last edited:

oratedar

Alfrescian
Loyal

Of course no one knows how to offend, isolate and disillusion the middle ground more than Goh Meng Seng.

Also if SL chose to say 'no comments' Goh Meng Seng will say SL has something to hide, nevr come clean, no confidence in the relationship etc. For someone that claims to be pan-opposition, he is strangely very very quiet about pap cock ups.