• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Period of renounciation of citizenship

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Re: Dual citizenship

It will follow the path of countries that have a history and experience of allowing dual citizenship. Here are just 2 minor examples

1) The international protocol/advisory for dual citizens is the use the passport of the country that you are entering or leaving. OZ gives this advice when you apply for citizenship. Purely for census.

2) UK has made it clear that diplomatic and consular service will not be accorded to its citizens if they land in trouble in a country where they also hold another citizenship. If you hold both UK and Spore citizenship and you decide to pee in front of the old man while he drives by, they will not act or extend any assistance. But if you did it in Malaysia, they will help.

I however doubt that they can create 2 categories of citizenship and allow discrimination.

It will be an interesting journey.

The ultimate purpose is that some will return if they still hold on to their citizenship. The other purpose is to claim glory just in case a singapore born nuclear scientist wins the Nobel Prize and he or she has dual citizenship. I am sure they will invite him back, give him the Star of Geylang and name a road after him despite the fact that he grew up , schooled and worked in the US.

Although our children were all born in Canada, I made the effort to apply for SG citizenship for them. No one can foresee how the future will unfold, but one of our children indicated that he desires (and for now, has demonstrated the academic ability, curiosity, and personal attributes) to be an astronaut. If and when that happens, I speculate that the SG government may claim that a SG citizen has flown on the XXYYZZ to perform experiments in space. This also requires the SG government to repeal the requirement that dual citizens renounce being a citizen of the foreign country where they were born, at the age of 21.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal

Although our children were all born in Canada, I made the effort to apply for SG citizenship for them. No one can foresee how the future will unfold, but one of our children indicated that he desires (and for now, has demonstrated the academic ability, curiosity, and personal attributes) to be an astronaut. If and when that happens, I speculate that the SG government may claim that a SG citizen has flown on the XXYYZZ to perform experiments in space. This also requires the SG government to repeal the requirement that dual citizens renounce being a citizen of the foreign country where they were born, at the age of 21.

i think you can wait long long.

anything with the SG govt, if it's not in black & white, dun try your luck.

why would you guys want to listen to an unknown person on this forum with regards to important decisions on your life, such as citizenship?

Last edited:

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal

i think you can wait long long.

anything with the SG govt, if it's not in black & white, dun try your luck.

why would you guys want to listen to an unknown person on this forum with regards to important decisions on your life, such as citizenship?

I made that decision on my own, and applied for SG citizenship for our children before each of them turned age one, without discussing or listening to any individual. I did that because no one can foresee the future, and if there is an opportunity to open more doors for our children, I might as well do it for them. My wife could apply for EU citizenship or passport for our children, but we have not done any research on it.

Time is on our side regardless how long we have to wait, except when each child turns 21, and have to renounce the SG citizenship.

Don Muthuswamy

Alfrescian
Loyal

I made that decision on my own, and applied for SG citizenship for our children before each of them turned age one, without discussing or listening to any individual. I did that because no one can foresee the future, and if there is an opportunity to open more doors for our children, I might as well do it for them. My wife could apply for EU citizenship or passport for our children, but we have not done any research on it.

Time is on our side regardless how long we have to wait, except when each child turns 21, and have to renounce the SG citizenship.

Why Sinkee citizenship? You'd have done much better applying for a US citizenship for them. What benefit does a sinkee citizenship offer that a US citizenship doesn't? And the important thing is, they wouldn't have to give up their Canadian citisenship unlike for a Sinkee one.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal

Why Sinkee citizenship? You'd have done much better applying for a US citizenship for them. What benefit does a sinkee citizenship offer that a US citizenship doesn't? And the important thing is, they wouldn't have to give up their Canadian citisenship unlike for a Sinkee one.

Thank you for your suggestion.
Yes, we did consider the USA, but then and as at this time, we do not qualify.
We are aware that the USA did amend its legislation to allow dual citizenship.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

What he meant was is if he given the opportunity with little or no cost,just take it. Its just options at the end of the day.

HSBC has an International Scheme of Service which is not publicised. Those with 2 or more citizenship to their name have priority. Like our Admin service, it the top rung where Sr Management is chosen. They are posted all over the world.

UN is also similar. There is a young lady that works for UN in Geneva who holds both Spore and OZ citizenship. Her parents were smart enough not to renouce their kids spore citizenship when they migrated over Melbourne. Her sister is now working for Temasek after growing up and schooling in OZ. Also dual citizen. Both well past 21 yrs of age.

So much for the urban myths of laws prohibiting dual ctizenship which fooled practically all of us all these years. Thats what happens when a govt does not have transparency.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal

charlie,

as long as you know what you're getting into. It's good to have options but don't count on SG have a golden period as the old fart has said.

SG's days are numbered, if sinkies continue to let the MIW waste away time & resources.

Charlie9

Alfrescian
Loyal

charlie,

as long as you know what you're getting into. It's good to have options but don't count on SG have a golden period as the old fart has said.

SG's days are numbered, if sinkies continue to let the MIW waste away time & resources.

Thank you.
At this time, it is unlikely that either my spouse or I, and very unlikely that our children will choose to reside in hot and humid SG. But the world is round and I am unable to predict the future. I prefer to have keys to several doors.