• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Period of renounciation of citizenship

kingat33

Alfrescian
Loyal
How long does it actually takes to renounce singapore citizenship? Submitted mine more than two months and still no news and I thought the processing period is only one month. Pls share ur experience and anyway to check the status? Thanks & G'day.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
How long does it actually takes to renounce singapore citizenship? Submitted mine more than two months and still no news and I thought the processing period is only one month. Pls share ur experience and anyway to check the status? Thanks & G'day.

I think it is about time you get some news.

1. Do you do this from Singapore or with Singapore's overseas mission?

2. If you do this with oversea mission, did the embassy sent you a receipt for the fee?

3. Do you owe IRAS any money?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
4 weeks females and 8/12 weeks males and that you have provided all the documents including answering the detailed questionaires, contacts details including email address.

You should have an acknowledgement via email within 2 weeks if submitted via embassy or 1 week if directly to ICA. If no email details, good luck - back of the pile.

Can be received as early as 2 weeks if you have completed all reservists liability until time of departure.

kingat33

Alfrescian
Loyal
Send it to singapore embassy in australia more than 2 months ago and never receive any receipt at all. U mean they will send receipt ?

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Send it to singapore embassy in australia more than 2 months ago and never receive any receipt at all. U mean they will send receipt ?

Yes. It is a standard handwritten receipt stating the amount paid with the Singapore High Comm stamping on it.

Did you get your renunciation pack from the High Comm?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have PMed you the email address of the specific section that handles this in ICA. Should get a reply the next day.

kingat33

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro scroobal, didn't receive any info and can u put it here including telephone number that i can call? Thanks!

Satan

Alfrescian
Loyal
bro scroobal, didn't receive any info and can u put it here including telephone number that i can call? Thanks!

Sometimes, it can be in your best interest to send your supporting documents either personally of via speedpost or courier, never by normal post. You should then follow up with them if you had not received a reply in about 2 weeks- 1 month. Everything should be finalized at most within 2 months provided you have submitted all the required information and your records are clean with no criminal offenses, you're not owing anything to IRAS, are not an undischarged bankrupt in Singapore and have completed all your NS and reservist liabilites. You may however have problems if you happen to have issues with any one of these requirements.

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Go back to SG, it doesn't take a day to return PP and NRIC to SG govt, just swear an oath in front of the judge.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Am not comfortable providing specific sections contact details in the open as people tend to flood it with irrelevant queries and they will change it.

Anyway, here is an email contact that will get you a reply within 2 to 3 days. ICA [email protected]

By the way, Canberra High Commission should have sent an acknowledgement if it went thru them.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
kingat,

congrats mate. you should drop some emails, make some phone calls to ICA. You should have gotten the receipt from the SG Hi Comm.

My cousin made the mistake of not getting the receipt in HK, and ICA give him the ding dong for a few years.

neddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think it is about time you get some news.

1. Do you do this from Singapore or with Singapore's overseas mission?

2. If you do this with oversea mission, did the embassy sent you a receipt for the fee?

3. Do you owe IRAS any money?

CORRECTION
IRAS only comes into picture when you withdraw CPF a/c

axe168

Alfrescian
Loyal

Congrats !

Today you can renounce your citizenship.. by tomorrow you can always reinstate it back.. Coz the law allows it ?! These days money talks.. I'm sure the SG govt will accept you with open arms and legs :P esp when you served your NS... being a clean and desirable residents.. (with $$$).

3 Cheers for achieving your Freedom !

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal - your knowledge on the inner workings of the ICA is incredible. This lends credence to your position that our Gov no longers forces renounciation of citizenship.

However, I am surprised that this unofficial tacit recognition of dual citizenship is not widely mentioned. The recent PRC Army girl only brought about strong rebuttal from official sources which fell along this logic - she was PR so no need to give up PRC citizenship just as there are numerous Singapore passport holders that have foreign PR.

On the flip side, does Singapore force all these talented PRs and HNW to give up their foreign passports when the take up Singapore passports.

What's your take on it.

4 weeks females and 8/12 weeks males and that you have provided all the documents including answering the detailed questionaires, contacts details including email address.

You should have an acknowledgement via email within 2 weeks if submitted via embassy or 1 week if directly to ICA. If no email details, good luck - back of the pile.

Can be received as early as 2 weeks if you have completed all reservists liability until time of departure.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The irony is that this policy is not widely known within ICA, or even among services that dabble in the sensitive matters such as Intelligence, Law etc. Even know of a Perm Sec that wrongly advised a singaporean family friend who migrated.

The brain drain is serious. Something had to give. Its a practical approach and the whole world is moving towards it. Australia which had explicit laws on prohibiting dual citizenshiponly removed it in 2004. Singapore never had such laws but the official line was that it was frowned upon.

As to Singapore requiring foreign nationals taking up its citizenship to renounce their previous citizenship is to obtain a serious level of commitment to their new country. Its actually no big deal as countries like China and even OZ, allow one chance to reclaim back your previously renounced citizenship.

There many well known singaporeans that hold more than one citizenship. Its was the business community that first lobbied this as they are unable to purchase land or get into certain businesses without obtaining that country's citizenship. Rupert Murdoch renounced his OZ citizenship as US laws prohibited ownership of media by non-citizens. He was the one who lobbied John Howard to allow one chance to reclaim a previously renounced citizenship and he got it back. He nows hold 2.

Anyway, old man himself made a comment in the press circa 2007, that dual citizenship matter had been presented to the cabinet and for the moment kept on the backburner. I believe, the Population Secretariat is collecting stats before a final decision on publicising is taken. I believe it will include the one chance option for those that wish to reclaim their previously renounced citizenship without renouncing the citizenship of their new country. Reimbursing CPF funds is likely to be factor. It will favour business folks and scholars and students that remained overseas as they would have minimal CPF and are prepared to cough it up.

Scroobal - your knowledge on the inner workings of the ICA is incredible. This lends credence to your position that our Gov no longers forces renounciation of citizenship.

However, I am surprised that this unofficial tacit recognition of dual citizenship is not widely mentioned. The recent PRC Army girl only brought about strong rebuttal from official sources which fell along this logic - she was PR so no need to give up PRC citizenship just as there are numerous Singapore passport holders that have foreign PR.

On the flip side, does Singapore force all these talented PRs and HNW to give up their foreign passports when the take up Singapore passports.

What's your take on it.

longbow

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great insight!

I think it is a matter of time before we allow dual citizenship. Afterall we have thrown open the door for easy Singapore citizenship.

Given that there has been complaints about small difference between citizenship and PR perhaps the gov will be forced to sweeten the financial benefits for citizens vs PR (top up of annuity fund, HDB grants, top up of medisave, educational grants, etc etc).

Perhaps they will create a category of Singapore citizens (dual citizens living overseas) that will not have access to these benefits but will carry a Singapore passport and can buy landed property. These overseas Singaporeans are no longer contributing to Singapore's economy and as such do not "deserve" the sweetners.

The irony is that this policy is not widely known within ICA, or even among services that dabble in the sensitive matters such as Intelligence, Law etc. Even know of a Perm Sec that wrongly advised a singaporean family friend who migrated.

The brain drain is serious. Something had to give. Its a practical approach and the whole world is moving towards it. Australia which had explicit laws on prohibiting dual citizenshiponly removed it in 2004. Singapore never had such laws but the official line was that it was frowned upon.

As to Singapore requiring foreign nationals taking up its citizenship to renounce their previous citizenship is to obtain a serious level of commitment to their new country. Its actually no big deal as countries like China and even OZ, allow one chance to reclaim back your previously renounced citizenship.

There many well known singaporeans that hold more than one citizenship. Its was the business community that first lobbied this as they are unable to purchase land or get into certain businesses without obtaining that country's citizenship. Rupert Murdoch renounced his OZ citizenship as US laws prohibited ownership of media by non-citizens. He was the one who lobbied John Howard to allow one chance to reclaim a previously renounced citizenship and he got it back. He nows hold 2.

Anyway, old man himself made a comment in the press circa 2007, that dual citizenship matter had been presented to the cabinet and for the moment kept on the backburner. I believe, the Population Secretariat is collecting stats before a final decision on publicising is taken. I believe it will include the one chance option for those that wish to reclaim their previously renounced citizenship without renouncing the citizenship of their new country. Reimbursing CPF funds is likely to be factor. It will favour business folks and scholars and students that remained overseas as they would have minimal CPF and are prepared to cough it up.

chewed

Alfrescian
Loyal
Great insight!

I think it is a matter of time before we allow dual citizenship. Afterall we have thrown open the door for easy Singapore citizenship.

Given that there has been complaints about small difference between citizenship and PR perhaps the gov will be forced to sweeten the financial benefits for citizens vs PR (top up of annuity fund, HDB grants, top up of medisave, educational grants, etc etc).

Perhaps they will create a category of Singapore citizens (dual citizens living overseas) that will not have access to these benefits but will carry a Singapore passport and can buy landed property. These overseas Singaporeans are no longer contributing to Singapore's economy and as such do not "deserve" the sweetners.

bottom line is : Scroobal still wants you to hold on to your SG passport and dun withdraw your hard earned CPF monies....

and that is the stance of the SG govt.

i ain't falling for this crap....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
It will follow the path of countries that have a history and experience of allowing dual citizenship. Here are just 2 minor examples

1) The international protocol/advisory for dual citizens is the use the passport of the country that you are entering or leaving. OZ gives this advice when you apply for citizenship. Purely for census.

2) UK has made it clear that diplomatic and consular service will not be accorded to its citizens if they land in trouble in a country where they also hold another citizenship. If you hold both UK and Spore citizenship and you decide to pee in front of the old man while he drives by, they will not act or extend any assistance. But if you did it in Malaysia, they will help.

I however doubt that they can create 2 categories of citizenship and allow discrimination.

It will be an interesting journey.

The ultimate purpose is that some will return if they still hold on to their citizenship. The other purpose is to claim glory just in case a singapore born nuclear scientist wins the Nobel Prize and he or she has dual citizenship. I am sure they will invite him back, give him the Star of Geylang and name a road after him despite the fact that he grew up , schooled and worked in the US.

Great insight!

khlui11

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dual citizenship is only attractive to those who has little CPF and worked overseas, or FT who is considering to take up sg citizenship. For the locals, renounce citizen is the only way to see your hard earned money before you die. To the later group, it doesn't matter to you. You will still renounce. Period.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thats obvious.

People want to buy a house in their new country, invest in business or just get better returns. Citizenship in this day and age is no different to club membership.

Nothing to do with outdated concepts about sentimentality, patriotism etc. Like a club memship card, you flash as you come and go.

Your first and foremost duty is to your family.

Dual citizenship is only attractive to those who has little CPF and worked overseas, or FT who is considering to take up sg citizenship. For the locals, renounce citizen is the only way to see your hard earned money before you die. To the later group, it doesn't matter to you. You will still renounce. Period.